• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's likely he's retiring, and I'm just totally speculating now, but in the Benzies lawsuit, he mentioned aspirations that he and the Houser brothers had to go independent of Take Two or start their own company. I wonder with the recent report of Take Two wanting more games if the Houser brothers are starting their own thing. I'm just doing wishful thinking, but it'd be something.

They ain't starting their own thing.

Why would they waste all the money they earned to just start their own thing? Take two are right to ask for them to be faster considering thousands of staff they literally got. It's one of the biggest or biggest studios in the world when you combine it all.

Also take two were asking for Rockstar to speed up in the last month or so. Dan went on a break right after RDR2.

Maybe he didn't like the direction of just being a GTA online studio for years. Remember he's the main writer in all the games. I'm sure he would love to write more stories for different games and releasing games faster would allow him to do that.

Take two are not stupid. They know how big Dan and Sam are. I doubt they had anything to do with this decision. Leslie also left on bad terms with everyone. Dan is still there until March. Maybe he is retiring. Maybe he had a falling out with his brother over how they should proceed. Maybe he wanted to make more single player games like Bully2, but his brother wanted to make GTA 6 next.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This is sort of like Nintendo losing Miyamoto in his prime, yeah?

The culture at R* always seemed a bit off, but man, do they make games that are spectacles. Whether you like their gameplay and stories or not, I think it's fair to say that everyone pays attention to their output. They've been the benchmark so many times since breaking the mold with GTA3.

I've gotta think this has to do with T2, and their never-ending quest to recreate the golden goose that is/was GTA5. Dan is a story guy, and I think the prospect of a GaaS future with T2 wasn't how he wanted to spend his last years in the industry.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is huge.

Curious to see what he does next, and what Rockstar's next moves are. Red Dead 2 really showed the range they were capable as a studio, I hope they carry on with a single player narrative focus.

Deleted member 18192

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One guy does not make or break a game the magnitude of GTA in this day and age. I swear some of you just like to overreact to everything

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty massive, he was THE guy of the GTA games and such

He was one of them. Sam is equally as important but stays out of the limelight. Leslie Benzies was also up there, before he departed R* after GTAV. All in all this is sad because RDR2 was their greatest work, and Dan was a massive part of it.

Benz leaving/terminated was big news. He was basically their secret weapon. But RDR2 showed that they could continue to make amazing of not polarizing games. Now that Dan's gone, I'm a bit nervous. Hope the new blood and Sam can keep the quality and focus on SP going.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well WTF...Doesn't every GTA and Red Dead exude their (brothers) personalities? Without him... it may not feel like a GTA6..

Deleted member 18192

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
actually the Houser brothers are very influent on those games, so i don't agree with you

Rockstar of 2020 is not Rockstar of 2001, so yes they are influential but there is now countless other people around them involved with making these massive games. I also don't believe he is just going to up and leave without being aware of who his replacement is.

Did ID die when Carmack left.... No because games companies are not just one person anymore. It's just like how Mario/Nintendo will be fine when Miyamoto retires.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Rest in peace to an era that I enjoyed from the beginning with GTA on the PSone that I had to ask my older cousin to buy it for me from Babbages.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
They ain't starting their own thing.

Why would they waste all the money they earned to just start their own thing? Take two are right to ask for them to be faster considering thousands of staff they literally got. It's one of the biggest or biggest studios in the world when you combine it all.

Also take two were asking for Rockstar to speed up in the last month or so. Dan went on a break right after RDR2.

Maybe he didn't like the direction of just being a GTA online studio for years. Remember he's the main writer in all the games. I'm sure he would love to write more stories for different games and releasing games faster would allow him to do that.

Take two are not stupid. They know how big Dan and Sam are. I doubt they had anything to do with this decision. Leslie also left on bad terms with everyone. Dan is still there until March. Maybe he is retiring. Maybe he had a falling out with his brother over how they should proceed. Maybe he wanted to make more single player games like Bully2, but his brother wanted to make GTA 6 next.

I have no idea or opinion on what he might be doing, but I really don't think money is any kind of concern or evidence to contrary. Certainly they wouldn't have any trouble finding someone to fund that hypothetical venture.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Square has fallen
Blizzard has fallen
Rockstar is going to fall

DEATH TO THE OLD GODS

giphy.gif
And Capcom came back šŸ¤”

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea or opinion on what he might be doing, but I really don't think money is any kind of concern or evidence to contrary. Certainly they wouldn't have any trouble finding someone to fund that hypothetical venture.

So he will be back to working for someone again?

So why not stay with take 2 like his brother?

What Leslie said about them breaking away was way before GTA online came a big thing. There's quite a few possibilities maybe he's had a creative difference with his brother which happens, or he wants to move into TV or retirement.

The Houser brothers won't find anything as big as cash cow as GTA online.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
So he will be back to working for someone again?

So why not stay with take 2 like his brother?

What Leslie said about them breaking away was way before GTA online came a big thing. There's quite a few possibilities maybe he's had a creative difference with his brother which happens, or he wants to move into TV or retirement.

The Houser brothers won't find anything as big as cash cow as GTA online.

I don't know anything about the guy, but I'm guessing he's already got multi-generational fuck you money and is probably not concerned with creating a cash cow. I was just responding to your assertion that financing would be some kind of deterrent to setting up a studio outside of TTwo. Why or if he might want to, I have no idea, but money's certainly not going to stop him from trying.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Having RDR 2 as his final work (assuming he hasn't yet written GTA 6 or whatever comes next) is a pretty fucking incredible swan song.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wonder if this will have an impact on mission design going forward. It'd be nice for R* to finally embrace the idea of player agency. It has always struggled to find a balance between its intricately, almost obsessively detailed game worlds and creating a narrower focus for missions, favouring the application of strict rule sets that can border on absurd.

Last edited:

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Take-two going the Konami route and booting the VP? Classy! But I guess we won't see as many mega-titles from Rockstar from now on

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Where does it say he was booted and why would this change the kind of games Rockstar creates šŸ™„
Nowhere, but I like sometimes to make my own narrative. But I do think that Dan was a strong force that was pushing for great writing and with him leaving, I think there are fewer left to push for that game structure. There was that article a couple of weeks ago that said take two was pressuring rockstar management to make games faster. And a faster release schedule means less focus on big stories.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Surely Phil could swoop in and help set up the ideal working environment in which Dan Houser's creative juices can flow freely? It would be a pity if Mr. Houser would cease to create stuff!

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Oh the huge manatee.

Good luck to him. Man's earned a rest. Very strong run. And given Take Two rumoured to be pushing for faster released of massive games, probably not a bad jump off point for him really.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I assume he's going to be scooped up by either one of the three platform holders or Respawn

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
this is a huge end of an era loss for gaming. dude has been instrumental in some of my favorite games growing up. and his writing for the GTA franchise only got better over the years too.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see him going to another company. He's either retiring completely or moving to movies/books

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Surely Phil could swoop in and help set up the ideal working environment in which Dan Houser's creative juices can flow freely? It would be a pity if Mr. Houser would cease to create stuff!

YEAH! Maybe he can get the Benz back on board too and they could work exclusively on a blimp floating over New York, y'know, to match their skyhigh ambitions for Microsoft's GTA killer.

Or maybe he retires to the Caribbean bullies his butler and house staff and sleeps on a mountain of cocaine and money.