• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you could take the same models and assets they're making right now and just fully path-trace them I think we'd be good. Of course games are gonna keep improving beyond that, but hardware capable of fully path-tracing would bring CGI fidelity to even low-budget or minimalist art-styles. I'm tired of playing something like COD and having it look incredible in the in-engine cutscenes but then turn off all the lighting and SSS for the gameplay. The engines have been capable of super high fidelity for a long time now, it's just the hardware can't run it properly.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The closer we get to photo realism in games, the more I'm disinterested. Rather have a game look stylized than photo realistic. If I want photo realistic, I can just go look outdoors.

Might be due to how games animate at times. The more real a game looks, the worse it will seem in movement if animation isn't on par.
I am sure that as soon as photorealism becomes viable, every dev that makes cartoony games will realize theyre making games for kids and stop. Only real games from now on. /s

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
How? The more we go into the future the more we will go away from natively running games.
Once we will be forced to use streaming subscription services you can kiss the crystal clarity goodbye.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Do you watch movies? If so why?

They are just as realistic looking as looking out the window.
I love movies. The difference for me is gaming is an interactive medium, so the uncanny valley sticks out more.

Achieving photorealism doesn't have to mean that everything will automatically simulate real life... I take it to mean that they have the computational power to do pretty much whatever they want. Not unlike something like Avatar, that clearly aims for photorealism, but in a fantastical future setting.

Yeah as long as it animates well I would be for something like this.

I am sure that as soon as photorealism becomes viable, every dev that makes cartoony games will realize theyre making games for kids and stop. Only real games from now on. /s

giphy.gif

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yep. Maybe not "photoreal" but I always stated that this Generation is the transition Generation but NEXT Generation will be the Film/Game parity generation. More Films/Shows will be made in Real-Time and more games will be utilizing Film Techniques. It's going to be very exciting!

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The problem of photorealism isn't graphics, it is what make things believable.
So mostly AI and animation.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 years will likely plant us a couple years into the PS6/next Xbox generation.

So yeah, sounds about right to me.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought so. It feels like it will happen the console generation after the next (so, PS7).

With the PS4/XboxOne generation it felt like parts of games arrived at photorealism, due to photogrammetry. Starting with a desert in EA's Battlefront, then the exterior of a building Resident Evil 2 or Modern Warfare.

Elements are going to get checked off in the next two console generations, from static to dynamic objects.

Capcom have jackets tailored and makeup applied to faces so they can scan them into games. Games could end up getting to a place where they build and scan sets, or scan a room and all of the objects that might go into it individually.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Part of new tech is doing old things easier. With really powerful hardware you could just drop assets from a library into UE5 with nanite, turn on RTX, and itll look pretty damn photorealistic.

Sure but original assets will still take a lot of time, even if all you do is scan everything like Kojima did for DS. If you want everybody's abandoned apartment in to have different stuff in it, that will still take a lot of work, even if a lot of it is more like what a Hollywood production designer does. Photorealism is more than just graphics being very convincing, I expect we'll see more and more uncanny valley-type small details throwing you out of the game suddenly as graphics improve.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
If you think games look realistic now, show them to a non gamer.
Do this again in 10 years, see how far we've come then.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
ceo: Hey, lead graphics designer of Rockstar, when is this gonna look really real?
lead: yeah, about that.
ceo: 10 years from now....!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, the new standard for 'photo realism' always changes.

There have been a bunch of games throughout history that I remember the first time looking at them saying, "man, that looks *real*" and now when you look back on them you think you're crazy.

The first time I saw VirtuaRacer in the arcade I said like "man that looks real, games cannot look better than that..."

0pBiPv.png

The first time I saw Madden 2001 full page spread in Nextgeneration magazine, I said... that's it... that's peak football graphics.

0pBId5.png

The first time playing LinksLS on PC, back in 1999 or whenever, I just said... that's it, that looks exactly like watching TV, real life golf.

0pBghT.png

And this has happened countless times. The original Fight Night, I thought, man, you can't get a better looking Mohammed Ali than that. NOw looking back at these games it's laughable to me that I would have thought those are "real" looking graphics. Now I just know that my expectations will always change when the next generation comes along. Like it's so obvious that VirtuaRacer *is not real* it... looks farsical to even think that, but when that's all you know, when you can't see anything else that looks better, and also your mind fills in the gaps where the unreality is.

That last point about your mind filling in the gaps is interesting for me, and I often wonder if the more photo realism that we get to, the less capable our brain is of filling in the gaps or not, and then where something doesn't look or act real ends up distracting or breaking the illusion of reality more than if it's not that close in the first place.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sure but original assets will still take a lot of time, even if all you do is scan everything like Kojima did for DS. If you want everybody's abandoned apartment in to have different stuff in it, that will still take a lot of work, even if a lot of it is more like what a Hollywood production designer does. Photorealism is more than just graphics being very convincing, I expect we'll see more and more uncanny valley-type small details throwing you out of the game suddenly as graphics improve.
Yeah original assets will take more resources than ever if you want them to look better than the competition, and its also true that the uncanny valley will become more and more common. Especially in animation. A smaller dev would go through a lot of trouble if they want a third person photorealistic game.

Oct 31, 2017
10-15 more years sounds more accurate to me. I don't doubt we'll get photorealistic graphics in the next decade or more what I'm more concerned about is animations (facial to be exact). We aren't close to photorealistic animations in in-game models yet. We aren't even there with Hollywood CGI models yet.

May 19, 2020
photorealism isn't the problem, animation is. if i see dopey ass walk cycles or people not walking on stairs realistically or magic wizard reload animations the authenticity is instantly gone.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think RDR2, LOU2, God of War, Cyberpunk, and other games are doing great work to push the possibilities.

The next GTA will look better and be more impressive with detail over RDR2. As long as these companies keep looking at each others games and rivaling each other, things will always improve.

My one concern, there are too many things to miss or see by chance when expanding things with detail. How many people are not going to see most of the content in Cyberpunk or RDR2 because they only did certain things or the main quest. Dynamic events, moments and interactions. Any time i see a friend play RDR2, I see some new NPC interaction or moment in the wilderness that I did not encounter in my 90-100 hours.

How many of these details in games have I missed over the years? It is a bit overwhelming at times. Cyberpunk I will play a path, and i bet i will not see so many things and moments.

Dec 26, 2019
Also it's super optimistic that 2030-contemporary AAA gaming will be anything but a luxury reserved for the upper class
What makes you think that? Game and console prices have stagnated since decades - especially including inflation.

It is very realistic looking at times. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you have to be rude.
It's just really not. Not even close. It tries to go for a real look, but it's so obviously CG even from the tiniest screenshots.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Naw.

Maybe for certain types of games like racing games, but the games industry will run into the same diminishing returns/uncanny valley issues as the CG film industry when it comes to making truly life-like characters.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
If you could take the same models and assets they're making right now and just fully path-trace them I think we'd be good. Of course games are gonna keep improving beyond that, but hardware capable of fully path-tracing would bring CGI fidelity to even low-budget or minimalist art-styles. I'm tired of playing something like COD and having it look incredible in the in-engine cutscenes but then turn off all the lighting and SSS for the gameplay. The engines have been capable of super high fidelity for a long time now, it's just the hardware can't run it properly.
Exactly!!! In in engine cutscenes even on PS4/xbox one already looks phenomenal.
Engines are apfantadtic nowadays. We need that fidelity during gameplay.
Damn, even demons souls that is a gorgeous game, there's a huge difference between the intro, that is said to be in engine, and the gameplay.
I honestly don't believe people saying they don't want better graphics...
And when I say graphics, I am saying everything, not only lighting and textures, but better technology in everything like realistic animations, facial animations, human behaviors, effects...
damn!! Imagine play a huge open world like the Witcher with graphics, technology and scope of the lord of the rings movies...
It will be absolute incredible And so much immersive.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The closer we get to photo realism in games, the more I'm disinterested. Rather have a game look stylized than photo realistic. If I want photo realistic, I can just go look outdoors.

Might be due to how games animate at times. The more real a game looks, the worse it will seem in movement if animation isn't on par.

This

May 19, 2020
or just stupid game stuff like "kneeling/crouching animation = stealth". there are so many internal contrivances and accepted workarounds unrelated to animation that make gaming a dipshit medium sometimes lol

Monarch1501

Designer @ Dontnod
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Show me "photoreal" (whatever that means really) animations and interaction, and I'll agree.