• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
New accounts by Taiwanese women on Ashley Madison, a site marketed for those seeking affairs, swelled by 600 percent less than two weeks after adultery was decriminalized in Taiwan last month.

On May 29, Taiwan's grand justices ruled that Article 239 of the Criminal Code violates the constitution and should be ended immediately, effectively decriminalizing adultery. In less than three weeks, new registrations on Ashley Madison, an online dating site marketed at people married or in a relationship, skyrocketed by 600 percent among women and 70 percent overall in Taiwan.

Ashley Madison chief strategist Paul Keable told Taiwan News that the previous law deeming adultery as a crime was "viewed as a tool to oppress desire, mainly against women, who, historically, have been told to refrain from being overtly sexual." Now that adultery has been decriminalized, he said that the company "was not surprised to see strong interest from women," as women have outnumbered men on the website for the past three years.

www.taiwannews.com.tw

Taiwanese female users of Ashley Madison surge by 600% after adultery ruling | Taiwan News | 2020/06/18

More Taiwanese women than men use Ashley Madison, Hsinchu City has most members

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outlawing adultery oppresses women...?

I mean, adultery shouldn't be a crime at all, but I don't understand

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
qiqwQ72.jpg

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Outlawing adultery oppresses women...?

I mean, adultery shouldn't be a crime at all, but I don't understand

Experts like Kuan say while many women support the adultery law - they are also the ones who are more likely to face prosecution. Women make up slightly more than half of those prosecuted in adultery cases.

While that might not sound excessive, that compares with other crimes in Taiwan where women account for only about 5 to 15 per cent of defendants.

The law can be used for a variety of reasons, a key one being that unlike countries such as the US, Taiwanese cannot obtain a "no-fault divorce". Spouses must either mutually consent or prove a reason for the divorce, such as adultery or abuse.

In many cases, however, the adultery law has become a way to secure more attractive divorce settlements, with cases withdrawn after couples agree to settle out of court.

Kuan said this reflected deep problems within Taiwan's civil courts.

"Why would you use this criminal procedure to get money? I think that's the failure of the civil court: you can't get as much money for their alimony or other compensation," she said.

The threat of prosecution is also used by spouses to encourage an errant partner to return home - either through a direct threat of prosecution or by making their lives more difficult.

Anna, a European living in Taiwan who also asked that her real name not be disclosed, found herself threatened with expulsion from her graduate programme several years ago when the wife of her then-Taiwanese boyfriend contacted administrators in a bid to break the couple up.

While her partner had separated from his wife before he met Anna - something she later learned his ex-partner was still unhappy about - she said she did not fully understand the consequences until she was summoned to a university office several months later.

"She said this [relationship] is illegal in Taiwan and you can get into prison or get arrested and also if we find out that this is true you might have to be expelled from the university. To save my own a**, I said it was all a lie," Anna said, believing at the time - in her mid-20s - that she was too young to fully understand the consequences.

"I was so in love with him and we had a good relationship," she said. The relationship ended several months later due to other strains but not before she was harassed on Facebook and forced to defend herself for a second time to her university.

www.aljazeera.com

Taiwan: The liberal democracy where adultery remains a crime

The island’s highest court is to review the law this week raising hopes of abolition.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who usually writes the laws in any country?
Experts like Kuan say while many women support the adultery law - they are also the ones who are more likely to face prosecution. Women make up slightly more than half of those prosecuted in adultery cases.

While that might not sound excessive, that compares with other crimes in Taiwan where women account for only about 5 to 15 per cent of defendants.

The law can be used for a variety of reasons, a key one being that unlike countries such as the US, Taiwanese cannot obtain a "no-fault divorce". Spouses must either mutually consent or prove a reason for the divorce, such as adultery or abuse.

In many cases, however, the adultery law has become a way to secure more attractive divorce settlements, with cases withdrawn after couples agree to settle out of court.

"Why would you use this criminal procedure to get money? I think that's the failure of the civil court: you can't get as much money for their alimony or other compensation," she said.

The threat of prosecution is also used by spouses to encourage an errant partner to return home - either through a direct threat of prosecution or by making their lives more difficult.

Anna, a European living in Taiwan who also asked that her real name not be disclosed, found herself threatened with expulsion from her graduate programme several years ago when the wife of her then-Taiwanese boyfriend contacted administrators in a bid to break the couple up.

While her partner had separated from his wife before he met Anna - something she later learned his ex-partner was still unhappy about - she said she did not fully understand the consequences until she was summoned to a university office several months later.

"She said this [relationship] is illegal in Taiwan and you can get into prison or get arrested and also if we find out that this is true you might have to be expelled from the university. To save my own a**, I said it was all a lie," Anna said, believing at the time - in her mid-20s - that she was too young to fully understand the consequences.

"I was so in love with him and we had a good relationship," she said. The relationship ended several months later due to other strains but not before she was harassed on Facebook and forced to defend herself for a second time to her university.

www.aljazeera.com

The island’s highest court is to review the law this week raising hopes of abolition.

Okay, so it's the actual prosecution, then. It was confusing because I thought the person was saying that women commit adultery more than men. As if cheating is a thing that women in particular do

But I can understand a law being made to *punish* women, and not applying the law equally to men.

Unless I'm missing something again.

laws are selectively enforced

Okay, this sounds right.

EDIT: Divorce needs mutual consent? That's fucking cruel

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Okay, so it's the actual prosecution, then. It was confusing because I thought the person was saying that women commit adultery more than men. As if cheating is a thing that women in particular do

But I can understand a law being made to *punish* women, and not applying the law equally to men.

Unless I'm missing something again.

Okay, this sounds right.

EDIT: Divorce needs mutual consent? That's fucking cruel

To be specific, Divorce for a long time in Taiwan require both side to "consent" and this result in alot of woman that marry into abusive husband unable to leave, since husband won't agree.

And the case of this law, it is used to punish the "adulter" the third party, that in many instance is not aware their new boyfriend/girlfriend is already married.

So woman that got new boyfriend didn't know he is married, suddenly is charged with crime and can go to jail for up to a year, or pay fine.

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be specific, Divorce for a long time in Taiwan require both side to "consent" and this result in alot of woman that marry into abusive husband unable to leave, since husband won't agree.

And the case of this law, it is used to punish the "adulter" the third party, that in many instance is not aware their new boyfriend/girlfriend is already married.

So woman that got new boyfriend didn't know he is married, suddenly is charged with crime and can go to jail for up to a year, or pay fine.

Yeah, that all wraps up together. The laws are cruel & I'm glad women can be free (for the most part) of shitty and abusive relationships.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I don't understand people that insist on bullshitting everyone. If you aren't happy with your sex life and/or relationship let the other party know. If they aren't interested in making it better or feign the desire to improve things then let them know that's not acceptable. At that point you either end the relationship or you let it be known that you will seek intimacy elsewhere. Don't BS them and leave it up in the air about where you stand.

Dormammu

Banned
May 20, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Racism
A lot of Taiwanese women not getting sexed right by their weak husbands are going to be out getting theirs.
I wonder if the murder rate will also start going up as jealous husbands start killing their cheating wives and lovers.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

www.aljazeera.com

Guaranteed half of the politicians putting keeping laws in place have engaged in adultery. :P

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Ashley Madison probably flooded the platform with bots set to Taiwan and leaked the news to get a headline, and thus advertising their site. Congrats, you all fell for the marketing.