• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I am seeing a lot of people in this thread thinking this is a Switch 2, but I think the general impression from the rumors is that this is going to be a Switch Pro that has some performance improvements.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be really interesting to follow these rumors if you're a person in the know.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
This falls in line with a 'Pro' model, not just a next gen model, and new 3DS came out (2014 mid) about 2 years before Switch, a spring 2021 Switch Pro and a Switch 2 in fall 2023 lines up well with that same time frame.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Another new color? SKU without charger and a redesigned TnC screen to mock customers that warranty is voided if they don't use the official charger? Smaller battery to increase profit margin?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If it was a Switch 2, someone would have spilled the beans by now, japanese devs would already have dev kits by this time

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Seems like the easiest way to implement a boosted model would be to have it run the docked profile for every game, even while in portable mode. Idk how docked performance would change though except with case-by-case patches

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More info: http://www.emsodm.com/html/vip/temp/2020/08/24/1598239179207.html

TLDR:

• The new Nintendo Switch will begin production later this year and be released early next year.

• Macronix one of the official Nintendo provider for game carts is expecting record sales next year.

• Macronix will be supplying parts to Nintendo for this new model with better image quality and "interactivity".

Rough Revised Google Article Translation incoming:

Nintendo Switch next-generation model, Q4 2020 inventory accumulation started according to Taiwan media

Taiwan's leading paper "Economic Daily" (August 24, 2010) reported as a story of Taiwan industry sources. The same source pointed out that Nintendo is currently working on a new model with enhanced interactivity and image quality, while Nintendo Switch's sales continued to be strong due to the demand for home that emerged with the new coronavirus. The company said it will start stockpiling in the fourth quarter of 2020 at the earliest.

Furthermore, the same sources include NOR flash memory (NOR flash), read-only memory (ROM) for game cards Macronix, PixArt for sensor for game pads, and Weltrend for power management IC. ) Taiwanese companies have entered the supply chain of next-generation models.

The same sources claimed that Macronix is the exclusive supplier of Nintendo Switch game card ROMs, and that it is expected to sell nine games per Nintendo Switch, meaning that Macronix's ROM shipments for the console are nine times larger than those for the console itself. The company said it would go up. About Weltrend, the same source said that it has been supplying power management ICs etc. to three major game consoles, and has been supplying USB PDs for chargers to Nintendo Switch since 2019.
IWwjKbr.gif

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd be OK with this even though I upgraded to a AC Switch just this year.

Makes sense too. They were very explicit that they wanted the Switch to last 6-7 years. A mid-life refresh totally makes sense here for then a '23 or '24 Switch 2 launch.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
"better image quality and enhanced interactivity" - this could end up a Switch VR model and not a "pro".

To fit VR, Switch needs enhanced image quality, and VR could be considered enhanced interactivity, no?

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was a Switch 2, someone would have spilled the beans by now, japanese devs would already have dev kits by this time
Isn't there a Japanese dev saying that their game will come to "next-gen Switch" or something like that?

OP
OP
Homer J Simpson
Dec 18, 2018
For those who are interested, here's the actual Economic Daily News from UDN, which OP forgot to link it here. Threadmark this, or add it into OP, please.

udn.com

新Switch備貨 台鏈補 | 聯合新聞網:最懂你的新聞網站

宅經濟帶動任天堂Switch遊戲機大賣,供應鏈傳出,任天堂乘勝追擊,正打造下一代Switch,最快今年第4季開始備貨,明...
I was reading
I am seeing a lot of people in this thread thinking this is a Switch 2, but I think the general impression from the rumors is that this is going to be a Switch Pro that has some performance improvements.
my assumption is, this is switch pro. It's only been 3 years since switch launched. I don't think Nintendo is done with switch.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I always expected Nintendo to do a refresh (I think we would have heard things from insiders/devs by now if it was a new system).

But with how Switch is selling I'd stick with a refresh too, honestly.

My only fear is Nintendo making the boosts on a game by game basis lol

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has wanted to be Apple for a while so them releasing a Switch 2 only 4 years after the original Switch came out would be on brand. It would also explain the relative lack of game announcements recently (even before the pandemic).

A Switch 2 with full Switch 1 BC, launching alongside a few key exclusives (say BotW 2, a new Mario Kart, and a new Splatoon) could do very well even though it seems early for a Switch replacement. Would also make it easier for it to keep getting 3rd party releases.

This would be a disaster. No way the Switch 2 is releasing next year.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nintendo has something for this years holidays. It's called evergreen software and a price advantage, possibly a price drop during them.

They would be stupid to hype up new hardware then, these holidays belong to the next gen consoles no matter what.

But a possible March release when the others enter the first "calmer phase" with BotW 2 might work out, yes.

IF this is true. IF.

BotW2 launching along side the "pro" system just like BotW did with the Switch at launch would be very smart of them. The Switch was revealed in October last time but it had free reign with no next gen releases so maybe we'll see an announcement closer to December or January this time?

Mar 3, 2018
I would mainly be interested if it has a bigger screen. Not necessarily a bigger device, but if they could just shrink the bezels and have a larger/better display since I play 99% handheld. Either way, exciting. Def didn't think it would release in 2020. Although I also didnt think they would release anything in 2021, but more around 2022/2023.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
IF this is even true, regardless of whether this is a Switch Pro or Switch 2, PLEASE support DLSS 2.0. It could be a game changer (literally), especially for getting next gen ports.

oh and fix the damn joycon issues

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
IF this is even true, regardless of whether this is a Switch Pro or Switch 2, PLEASE support DLSS 2.0. It could be a game changer (literally), especially for getting next gen ports.

That is on Nvidia to say whether the new Switch will have DLSS at all.

It seems like Pixart will be manufacturing the next-gen Joycons. I'm just doing my best to translate this.

Mar 3, 2018
what do yall think in terms of price; say if it has bigger screen/smaller bezels, better internals, premium hardware on the outside. Maybe $100 more?

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I'd rather a Pro model in the middle of the Switch life than a hurried developed succesor. With a new model in the market Nintendo and Nvidia can take their time to make a worth Switch succesor, DLSS would be glorious and a great wait to fill the graphical gap between the other consoles, I don't expect this technology in a revision tho.

OP
OP
Homer J Simpson
Dec 18, 2018
For those who are interested, here's the actual Economic Daily News from UDN, which OP forgot to link it here. Threadmark this, or add it into OP, please.

udn.com

新Switch備貨 台鏈補 | 聯合新聞網:最懂你的新聞網站

宅經濟帶動任天堂Switch遊戲機大賣,供應鏈傳出,任天堂乘勝追擊,正打造下一代Switch,最快今年第4季開始備貨,明...

Translating this a bit:

• Macronix, Pixart, and Weltrend are included on the list of new manufacturers for the next-gen Switch.
  • New Switch will have better interactions/communications, and will have a new display quality (which may refer to a more crisper output, not necessarily a resolution bump).
  • Pixart will be the new manufacturer that will produce the next-gen Joycon controllers, including the next-gen motion sensing.
I'd be OK with this even though I upgraded to a AC Switch just this year.

Makes sense too. They were very explicit that they wanted the Switch to last 6-7 years. A mid-life refresh totally makes sense here for then a '23 or '24 Switch 2 launch.
I just upgraded to switch version 2 last month. I'm still ok with switch pro launching next year. I am going to end up buying switch pro if it launches early next year. Here is hoping it's 4K docked, with 1080p screen.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a "Pro" model would have DLSS. Maybe I guess, but I think that's something more that would have to be for Switch 2 (an entirely new system).

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hope it's true. I imagine I'm not alone, but I will pay pretty much any price for the best possible hardware to play Breath of the Wild 2 on. That is my most anticipated title by far, and I would gladly grab a Switch Pro to play with slightly more stable framerate or slightly bigger screen or whatever they want to offer.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy one for sure. Games like Xenoblade could benefit greatly from a hardware bump. Will prolly give my current Switch to my niece or something.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
The four-year point is not too soon, IMO. Nintendo needs to not restore on its laurels. Wii went on for too long. Same with 3DS. 4-5 years max, otherwise Nintendo is in danger of being left behind.

I wonder if BOTW2 will launch with Switch Pro.
But if this pro device is real Nintendo would still be left behind since devs will still have to develop with the original switch in mind. Because they're so far behind in power a slightly more powerful console won't do much.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

All Switch Pro games will have to work on the base Switch. Don't expect a massive improvement.

Feb 15, 2019
I really hope so, Switch (and well its successors) is the only console that I'd buy a pro version of simply because I just really enjoy the device but I'm usually disappointed in the performance. I would pay top dollar for a top of the line Switch as long as its supported well and not halfassed by pubs/devs.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2021 has always been the perfect time for launch an enhanced version and it will be even better coming off the mammoth success of 2020. It's a great way to keep momentum strong.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I need to know how big of a jump it is before getting hyped. If it's New 3DS level then I won't bother, if it's got a better screen, battery and runs games 25% better than the base Switch I'm in. I play 100% handheld so I'm only interested in boosts to that experience. a March 2021 launch for the new model could let them stretch the Switch's lifecycle out until 2024-25 too, release one every four years. Releasing alongside BOTW2 would be a brilliant idea.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo wants to be like Apple then this needs to be switch 2 with backwards compatibility, if it's just a new 3ds style upgrade then that strategy is no different than they have been doing since the first DS