• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Copy came in. Took 1 day to get here (DHL)
DikF18hU8AAYTM3.jpg:small

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Can you use a service like tenso.com to buy in Japan and have them ship to you?
I could, if no other option. I was buying the drum from Amazon JP so I could just pick them with this order so I dont have to pay shipping twice. They also no longer offer SAL shipping towards here anymore so anything I get from there adds up now.

These ones:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00YC0UDJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The trick for me was making sure they were sold by Amazon themselves, any other company would give me the error message on checkout, even ones fulfilled by Amazon, even with limiting the search to ones supporting international shipping.
Okay thanks for the info. I will try to find the pointy ones and otherwise I will probably grab these too

Deleted member 4198

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to know if the PS4 drum is compatible with the Switch or if the Switch drum is compatible with the PS4, or if something like the Magic NS adapter would work for cross-platform compatibility.
Has anyone here gotten their drums to work cross-platform? Thanks in advance.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to know if the PS4 drum is compatible with the Switch or if the Switch drum is compatible with the PS4, or if something like the Magic NS adapter would work for cross-platform compatibility.
Has anyone here gotten their drums to work cross-platform? Thanks in advance.
There's an answer for this a page back -- it looks like you have to use an adapter.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I suspected, you can not record songs by the on console record functionality in the base game :/ kind of a fucking bummer if you ask me

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
If game is guessing our hits as you say (side or middle) than why am I getting blues or reds between any notes if I carefully do the motion ? Also if I play the game standing up imagine hitting a huge taiko drum (arms moving like hitting a big drum) if works much better gamewise and fun wise :)

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm super tempted to import this... less than $60 from Amazon seems solid rather than waiting a month for it to show up from elsewhere.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Accidentally posted this in another thread:

Are the sticks that come with the drum that bad? I've only ever used it in person at someone's house when the Wii U version came out and it was one of the funnest rhythm experiences I've had. I'm finally planning to order a set and the game on Switch on Amazon.jp.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
My copy of the game arrived today, but the drum won't be getting here until Monday. That won't stop me from diving in this weekend though! Importing a game isn't too big a deal in this day and age, but I haven't done so since I was a teenager...having a boxed copy of a Japanese game in my hands makes me feel a little nostalgic!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I wasn't going to buy the new drum, but seeing that it's good out of the box and you don't need to mod it... I might just have to support that. My wallet...

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I tried the demo but not wholly digging the motion controls. Sometimes it triggers twice, sometimes it doesn't. Really needs drums. :/

AmosThatBook

Apr 6, 2018
I tried the demo but not wholly digging the motion controls. Sometimes it triggers twice, sometimes it doesn't. Really needs drums. :/

Same. I was going to hold off on the drums for a bit, but the motion controls pushed me into buying the tatacon a bit earlier. Thankfully the Switch Tata seems to be a much better out of box controller than some previous verions.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried orange, green, and gold drums, Kirby, and the squid. Same behavior in all of them.

I just played a bit as the gold character and I had the opposite experience...many times it registered my edge hit motion as a center hit instead. My timing is spot on but the game thinks I did the wrong hit. I'm finding it extremely difficult to get edge hits consistently using the motion controls.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
This game became the first purchase I made on my Japanese Nintendo Account and it's downloading as I post. Bless the Switch's Region Freedom!

Also first in the Taiko series I play. Can't wait to try it out!

lemonade

May 8, 2018
How does the difficulty in this game work?

I'm kinda confused. I see there are four different difficulties and there are stars for each of them.

But there are songs that has more stars at the second difficulty than the third difficulty.

Also, songs with the same amount of stars felt very different. The third difficulty of Zenzenzense absolutely destroyed me.

Oct 25, 2017
man, people weren't kidding about the minigames basically being rhythm heaven. coming from other console taiko games where the minigames were pretty mediocre, i'm shocked by how solid they are

How does the difficulty in this game work?

I'm kinda confused. I see there are four different difficulties and there are stars for each of them.

But there are songs that has more stars at the second difficulty than the third difficulty.

Also, songs with the same amount of stars felt very different. The third difficulty of Zenzenzense absolutely destroyed me.

it's really silly. each difficulty is basically rated in the context of that difficulty level rather than overall. so, you can only really compare each rating to other songs' equivalent difficulty level rating, rather than the number of stars per difficulty level on a single song (except for oni and ura oni, the fourth and fifth)

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
trying to buy this on japan eshop but doesnt take my visa debit. guessing im going to have to buy a jpn eshop card?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Thank you this is first time doing this and worried about losing my cash.
Is this the card i get eshop? and does it get emailed to me? i cant tell and far as i know it says its going to mail it to the address i used for japan :s
I'm pretty sure that's actually a physical card they send so you don't want that. There are other shops that sell the code and just email it to you, but a lot of them are overpriced. Someone in here should know of a good one though.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Do it.
It's an amazing game for solo and party, plus if you decide to support the west version it could happen it has different track list
If a western version does happen what are the odds of it having the same track list? I'm wondering whether it's safe to get this because a potential western version would essentially be a different game, or if I should wait it out instead.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I played a bunch more and I've gotten a little more used to the motion controls. I definitely feel more tense playing with them because there's uncertainty in whether or not every hit will register, but it's doable. More importantly for me, I looked around online and found that if you hold L or R when you swing the joycon it always registers as an edge hit. Because of that I'm 100% consistent in getting edge hits now.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I just played a bit as the gold character and I had the opposite experience...many times it registered my edge hit motion as a center hit instead. My timing is spot on but the game thinks I did the wrong hit. I'm finding it extremely difficult to get edge hits consistently using the motion controls.
For me, I can 100% the songs just by doing a straight downward flick, no matter the color of the dot. It only does the wrong one if my timing is off - if it's not on a "note", that's when the direction you flick seems to matter.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I deleted the game and am reinstallling, maybe I accidentally changed some option I can't find to change back. But I can put on a super easy song where there is no urgency, and as long as I time it perfect, it chooses edge or center for me.

Edit: I accidentally installed the demo. Exact same issue.

omg thank you so much been, wondering around ama. jp for ever trying to figure out how to get jpn credit.
<3 just bout it omg. this is my first japanese import. cant wait to test this out. English patch is out right?
Not until August - OP should update since it's wrong

Last edited:

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a western version does happen what are the odds of it having the same track list? I'm wondering whether it's safe to get this because a potential western version would essentially be a different game, or if I should wait it out instead.
My guess is that it will change a lot, take in consideration that lots of these songs are either from anime, JPOP etc, consider how popular they are in the west, then if they will make the cut? Not likely.

If you want the game but you are on the fence;
- Download the demo
- If you like it, but not a whole lot, you can wait and support the western release
- If you liked it, but you want to understand everything, wait until August 9th for the english patch
- If you loved it, get it now with the drums and support the western release as well.

That's what im gonna do

Oct 27, 2017
And they are not Gamergate supporting pieces of shit ^.^
Holy shit. Just googled it. Had no idea — thanks for the heads up. Won't be using them again.
If it's released west, it will most likely have a totally different track list, outside of the Nintendo and the classical stuff.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Ahhhh the motion controls on this are completely useless. This is such a huge letdown. I really don't understand how this game can be so difficult to get right. The red/blue hit isn't random, it's just bad! I spent a while with the demo and I couldn't reliably get a red or blue hit no matter which gesture I did.

The idea of a version of this that worked reliably with Joycons is amazing. It would be so fun multiplayer. As it stands the only fun way to play is on the touchscreen :(

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Looks like Drum'n'Fun is a real thing.

I also see there's a Hatsune Miku icon in there, though that could just be a leftover asset from another version that they're not gonna use.

The DnF logo might be what gets displayed if you set the game language to English. I'd say this doesn't really confirm a western release on its own, but given that Australian ratings thing...

Darthmail

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the game today in Tokyo before my flight back to Europe.

The BIC Camera store in Akasaka had the game on stock but the Hori controller was already sold out :-(
Played one song and the touchscreen worked fine but somehow made me want the controller even more.
The box had an extra sticker with a marked checkbox for 'English', but that is not yet the case despite a patch that installed immediately. It doesn't really matter though, menus are super intuitive.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance this is compatible or if there's a way to make compatible via an adapter or something? I have the Wii limited edition pro Taiko controller.
r8inVfal.jpg

EDIT: Apparently this adapter (http://mon.im/tatacon/) may be updated in the future to support Switch. Hopefully it's the case, then I'll definitely pick this game up.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, can someone help me out?

B23_AC247-4_E7_F-445_E-_A122-_F752376_B8380.jpg

I assume I'm in the right screen for TV settings. What do the sliders do here? (I set both to -15 because I'm like maybe that'll do it, and it's just made it a lot worse.)

Edit: I'm trying to decrease the lag.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I played a bunch more and I've gotten a little more used to the motion controls. I definitely feel more tense playing with them because there's uncertainty in whether or not every hit will register, but it's doable. More importantly for me, I looked around online and found that if you hold L or R when you swing the joycon it always registers as an edge hit. Because of that I'm 100% consistent in getting edge hits now.
I have a similar problem, but I'll often get an edge hit when I'm aiming for the centre. I was already using the triggers to ensure an edge hit, but nothing solves the problem of it hitting the edge when I'm trying to hit the face. It is really frustrating :(

Gorki247

Feb 7, 2018
Just out of curiosity. Can anyone tell me what the last bit in the Japanese title 太鼓の達人 Nintendo Switchば~じょん!means?

Using google translate I get either Bun or Shoot! (when including the exclamation mark).