• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How are you guys getting the import fee reimbursed with Amazon.co.jp???

If it's the same as .com it should be refunded automatically if you don't get hit with import tax. From what i've seen it's by far the best way to get the game (play-asia charges quite a hefty premium).

Seriously tempted to get this. I already have two for the wii though... This is more convenient but is that worth 100 euro!? haha, maybe :P

shade

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to see I'm not the only one to have that issue, need to strike it almost full strength to input the blue note, quite disappointed :(
Count on me the list of owner of "defective" tatakon, with the same issue.

How are you guys getting the import fee reimbursed with Amazon.co.jp???
If the deposit isn't used to pay import fees, Amazon refunds buyer on the credit card used to make the purchase.

To the ones with a tatacon, have you tried calibrating it in the options?
Calibration only affects the positions of the notes.

OP
OP
The Bankslammer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, been attempting a few day-1 DIY fixes, pretty happy with the results I have so far. Honestly, out the box, I feel a good deal better about the PS4 controller than the Wii one.

rkt2jsn5tsyv.jpg

Video of it in action to get a feel for force required/amount of sound. All these hits are done straight-armed and relatively lightly.

So, here's what I've done:

Blanket under Tatacon: Helps to reduce sound, helps keep Tatacon in place (which isn't really an issue for me because I have...)

Ratchet strap: Pretty much guarantees the Tatacon won't be budging at all

Washcloth affixed to the front via rubber band: Reduces sound by a sizeable margin. Probably a bit of tradeoff for sensitivity, but it still generally works pretty well and I'd happily take that if it means I feel more at liberty to hit it harder without disturbing neighbors.

MyBachi: Probably one of the biggest differentiators, they're significantly easier to handle and more effective than the stock plastic ones. You can actually nab a pair for under $10 with Amazon Prime if you search for "MaiBachi" (at least in the US, can't comment on other countries)

Once I gather some materials I'll try to cover modding in the future. This is all a bit overkill, but hopefully there's one or two things you all have laying around to help things out some. I definitely know the disappointment of realizing the Tatacon isn't as good as I'd hoped, but I hope some of the advice and tricks I've picked up can prove to be of use.

qbicfeet

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think you have to be worried that your tatacons are "defective" (as in you got a broken controller), they are deliberately designed like this for whatever dumb reason, probably so that kids can go ham on them without breaking. The worst offender is usually the soft foam pad on the inside of the drum which absorbs all but the most forceful hits. Most mods consists start off by taking it out and replace with a cork trivet or something similar.
Okay, been attempting a few day-1 DIY fixes
I'm extremely jealous of your Don/Kat-chan plushies.

Last edited:

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Got mine today and played it for 2 hours straight with my kid - game is awesome! Being my first Taiko game, I'm barely making it out of 3-4 Star songs alive.

Drum controller works perfect as far as I can tell.

Question about dlc - I'm assuming I have to buy it using my JPN account, and it will be playable on my US account once it's downloaded, correct?

Also - what's the point of all these controller mods? Is it simple to reduce the noise level?

Last edited:

Robbydude

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having troubles with drum calibration? I can't seem to find a good setting to play at. Playing with a Dualshock is fine, but my drum inputs are way off. Anyone else feeing it too?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Been getting used to using the tatacon for the last few hours... I feel like I'm finally getting there. It really is a different experience playing with the drum.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Got an order update, 'Information Received (This is not an acknowledgment of the physical receipt of the stated Registered Article)'. I'll be waiting for a looooooooooooong while. :(

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
So I can just buy the japanese disc version and it should be in english right?

I bought the standalone drums because I wasn't sure if the japanese version will have english or if I'll have to get the asian version.

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone in the UK wants a sealed copy of the Asian version (game only!) for £40, send me a PM, first response wins!

I will only accept Paypal.

To save me sending multiple 'sorry you were too late' replies, I'll only reply to the first PM.

(In case anyone's wondering, I bought and paid for a JP copy, then bought the Asian/English version when that was announced, not realizing the JP was in English too!).

eAaCtLG.jpg

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I got this game yesterday, and I am really happy with it. The most surprising thing for me is how much my SO enjoys it. I may have to get a second drum.

qbicfeet

Oct 30, 2017
Woo, game + controller just arrived! Slightly impressed at how slimmed the box is, the Wii/Wii U one was massive.

I forgot that the controller was wired and not wireless though so now I have to rethink my setup since I usually play rhythm games on my PC monitor at my desk.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Mine was shipped from Singapore today, hopefully it'll arrive next week if customs are nice enough to let a huge ass box slip by (I highly doubt it).

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Saitama 2000 in probably 8-10 years and the muscle memory started flooding back lol. Still trying to nail the calibration though. I used the automatic mic set up but I think it's still a bit off.

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
I love the series, but feel spoiled having the hori pro controller on the wiiu, has anyone been able to test out the cronosmax or another solution with this game?

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
Package was delivered to the wrong address yesterday, and I finally got it today. The drum feels weeeeeeeird. I am still getting used to it, and performed way better when playing with the DS4. Still, I'm going to commit to learning how to play the game the proper way. I remember the great sense of satisfaction I got when I finally started playing Guitarfreaks well with the ASC--I expect the same will happen here. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for ways to mod it cause the sensitivity just feels off right now (and judging from the thread, I'm not the only one).

Ranked is an amazing addition; seems obvious in hindsight, but it really adds something to be able to play against other players' ghosts.

Linda Linda is still my go to song.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Already seeing improvement while using the tatacon! I can clear every song on hard, and I'm working my way into oni. My arms are sore.

Oct 29, 2017
Picked this up digitally. So much fun! Previously I was playing the latest Vita version, so having everything in English is really nice!

Two questions:

Sometimes I see loading screen hints talking about assists. I must be blind because I don't see any assist options. Where are they?

Also, when playing songs with "deviant notes" I think that's what they're called, sometimes a really fast yellow line will appear. What are you supposed to do there?

Thanks!

qbicfeet

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes I see loading screen hints talking about assists. I must be blind because I don't see any assist options. Where are they?
When you're on the difficuly select screen for a song you can hit triangle to bring up an options menu where you can add song modifiers like scrolling speed, inverted notes, autoplay and so on. They should be in there.
Also, when playing songs with "deviant notes" I think that's what they're called, sometimes a really fast yellow line will appear. What are you supposed to do there?
Songs marked as "diverge notes" will have two or three alternate "paths" that the game will automatically shift you between based on how you play. Usually this is determined by your accuracy/how well you play (get mostly goods and you will level up at the next path shift, get oks and bads and you will level down), but it's worth noting that in a few songs there are other special requirements for triggering these shifts.

For example, in Ouka Ranman it's based on how many hits you get in the drumroll right at the beginning of the song (0 for normal, 1 for professional and 2 or more for master), and in Mada Saitama 2000 it's based on how many goods you get during the morse code section leading up to the fast part (or whether you choose to fully break the balloon in this section on hard or lower).

The yellow bar lines simply indicate where these shifts take place.

Glas

Oct 30, 2017
Well I think It's useless to ask but if anybody has a extra asian physical edition first print code I am willing to buy it, Just wanted to play Saika honestly.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
okay.... i don't know if it's bad luck, but the tatacon is SHIT! It doesn't recognize half of my hit... especially the left in general... it only detect hit on the side if i hit the upper side, but completly to the side doesn't work at all

i don't know if it's the general quality of the thing or i just got one that doesn't work

kirby2096

Oct 29, 2017
Well I think It's useless to ask but if anybody has a extra asian physical edition first print code I am willing to buy it, Just wanted to play Saika honestly.
You can download the Saika/Deemo dlc pack from the Japanese psn store and it will work on the asian version you have.

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
okay.... i don't know if it's bad luck, but the tatacon is SHIT! It doesn't recognize half of my hit... especially the left in general... it only detect hit on the side if i hit the upper side, but completly to the side doesn't work at all

i don't know if it's the general quality of the thing or i just got one that doesn't work

Same for me, I hit the Orange note on the right and 90% of it are recognize but the Blue/Orange on the left side, I need to hit my Tatacon like a mad guy to make it works, so I end putting in back in the game box.

Sephiroth87

Oct 26, 2017
I'm cracking my tatacon open this weekend, I'll let you guys know if it gets better after some tinkering...

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017

Seems to be a common complaint - however mine works perfectly fine, so i guess i'm one of the lucky ones.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Oh this thread is wonderful, I didn't even know an English version was coming out. I've always loved Taiko since the PS2 days, so to have a new modern version without having to buy a giant arcade cabinet is great. Time to head over to amazon right now. :)

zektbach

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a trick to getting your tatacon working? I've plugged it in via USB and the buttons do things in the PS4 menu but not in-game...

Oct 25, 2017
Tatacon doesn't seem good... damn. I guess I'm not missing much when I finally get this digitally and a PS4 to play it on then. I need to go to Japan and play the real thing however... one day, hehe.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Are you guys hitting the tatacon hard enough? I assume it was built for some abuse, like a real drum gets. I play mine as if I was hitting an actual drum - meaning I'm giving it a good smack - and haven't had any issues with the hits registering.

I have zero experience with older versions, so I'm not even sure if hitting it hard is the way to play. Just wondering if the issues Im reading in this thread are related to being too gentle with it?

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got my set today and played some songs. Man, the Tatacons are SO much better than the Bluetooth iOS ones.
Always hated the Ka-Notes, but it's pretty much perfectly reacting here. You guys have to drum on that thing like wild, it's like that way by design. Have no fear, you won't break anything.

It's just a shame that this is one of the worst playlists in a long time. I'm missing so much from the iOS and PS2 versions. I hope they'll release a lot of DLCs for Pop music. DLC 1-6 are plain boring to me.

Need to master Saitama 2000 again, but I'm probably too old for that now lol

Oct 25, 2017
I got my set today and played some songs. Man, the Tatacons are SO much better than the Bluetooth iOS ones.
Always hated the Ka-Notes, but it's pretty much perfectly reacting here. You guys have to drum on that thing like wild, it's like that way by design. Have no fear, you won't break anything.

It's just a shame that this is one of the worst playlists in a long time. I'm missing so much from the iOS and PS2 versions. I hope they'll release a lot of DLCs for Pop music. DLC 1-6 are plain boring to me.

Need to master Saitama 2000 again, but I'm probably too old for that now lol
They need to release all classical tracks in one game and I'll die happy.

qbicfeet

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think the playlist is all that bad. There are a lot of repeats for long-time taiko fans but for a newcomer to the series it's one of the best places to start since it has most of the essential fan-favorite songs.

The majority of my playtime is spent on Namco Originals so I don't mind the DLC announced so far at all, but I agree that it would be nice with some other genres. Especially Vocaloid and Classic feels a bit lacking.