• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
On one hand, I love Taika's work and I think he can make a great Star Wars film.

On the other hand, I'd prefer that he would stay away from this toxic franchise and fan base. He deserves better.

I think most filmmakers would put "doing a Star Wars film" over "toxic fan base." Taika doesn't seem like the kind of person who is going to be bothered by losers on Twitter.

It's unlikely he'll ever face the toxicity that Rian Johnson has had to deal with.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I'd wish Waititi would spend is time making something more interesting after Jojo Rabbit, but I guess nothing stops the market demand for more Star Wars.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a Star Wars getting a sense of humor it only has occasionally had....
Wouldn't that be lovely

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
his brand of self-aware/irreverent humor fit into the MCU because they were already going that route post-guardians

but I'm not sure if its good for Star Wars, its nice to distinguish that from the route many other franchises are going now and have it take itself seriously despite itself.
i mean TLJ opens up with a yo mamma joke. And even "who goes first, you or me?" Or "who's in charge now? I'm in charge now!"...bring it down.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
cool. but i think it'll be impossible for me to get excited about star wars again lol

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather they adapt Doctor Aphra into a TV series (I assume that's what Leslye Headland is working on?) but man...Taika could fucking KILL IT with an Aphra movie.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure I will find his movie to be entertaining and thought-provoking but what's the point?

I don't see him doing multiple movies so any followup would be wasted just as much as Rian's concepts were bungled in tros.
Maybe it doesn't need to be designed with a sequel and spinoff franchise in mind? Could just be a great movie set in the universe and left alone everything except comics. Because, let's face it, Star Wars comics can't leave anything alone.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
So many folks in this thread forgetting Taika has already directed one of the best hours of modern Star Wars

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's a testament to the enduring spirit of Star Wars that top talent is still willing to sign on after the sad and often nauseating spectacle of the last 5 years.

I hope that the IP will finally move into new territory and get away from the Sheev era, the baggage that comes with such direct association to the old films as well as the old nuked EU is not good for anything at this point. Let's have new stories with new characters, in a new era.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I hope his first declaration as director is that Spaceball is canon of the universe Star Wars. He'll make a sequel.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Cool.

But they should have announced this film this 3 months before the movie was in cinemas. That way we would skip all the parts when screenwriters and directors leave and new ones are quickly found.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
his brand of self-aware/irreverent humor fit into the MCU because they were already going that route post-guardians

but I'm not sure if its good for Star Wars, its nice to distinguish that from the route many other franchises are going now and have it take itself fairly seriously (not saying it should be devoid of humor obviously but Waititi's brand of it is quite different from what has been the case so far)

Well his episode of The Mandolorian was by far the best one, so I think he will be ok

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this is awesome. Taika Waititi is better than the Star Wars fanbase deserves.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

but I'm not sure if its good for Star Wars, its nice to distinguish that from the route many other franchises are going now and have it take itself fairly seriously (not saying it should be devoid of humor obviously but Waititi's brand of it is quite different from what has been the case so far)
Nobody is saying "Taika Waititi is good so all Star Wars movies should be comedies now" ffs.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Just when I thought I was done with Star Wars they pull me right back in

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: Taika directed the finale of S1 Mandalorian which was debateably the best episode of the season (best live action content of Disney SW?)

Eh, to the best episode of Mandalorian. Though my problems with the episode are on a script level. He did a great job directing.

HELL NO to the best live action content of Disney SW, though. Not even remotely close.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Well his episode of The Mandolorian was by far the best one, so I think he will be ok

It's also potentially the most serious of the episodes.

Taika does a lot of comedy, but he's really fucking good at serious dramatic elements as well. I wasn't exactly rolling with laughter at a large chunk of Jojo Rabbit.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf it's not Waititi's fault that the attempts at "serious" Thor movies both sucked and so his comedy one ended up being the route forward rather than a fun one off.

I quite enjoyed the first Thor, which wasn't devoid of fish out of water jokes; but it's pretty obviously with Chris Hemsworth at Thor that not having him do some comedy would be a waste of talent, as his other films such as Extraction has shown.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
So...maybe comedy Solo sequel or Gambino Lando spin-off for Taika...?

Peeps wonder what would've happened with the Lord-Miller take on Solo, Taika could go from there.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it doesn't need to be designed with a sequel and spinoff franchise in mind? Could just be a great movie set in the universe and left alone everything except comics. Because, let's face it, Star Wars comics can't leave anything alone.
You and I both know that's not what Disney wants.

I'll be happy to watch this movie but I'll most likely pass on anything they do to followup on this.