• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you like Taika Waititi to direct another Thor Film?

• Yes

Votes: 502 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 269 28.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 181 19.0%

• Total voters

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing there's people that want Thor to speak in faux-Shakespearean like in the comics too
Blimey. Tides have turned a bit.

An actor constantly needing attention and being hugely insecure? Who'da thunk it.
He's having three-ways with Rita Ora and Tessa Thompson, who'd be insecure?!

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
But it is. Love and Thunder proved this. A lot of love and care was put into it, even if you personally weren't a fan of the results.

You're not the first person to push the completely baseless idea that Taika didn't "care" about this film or that he didn't put "effort" into it. And that is clearly false.
Eh, IMO Love and Thunder felt like Taika on autopilot. It felt soulless and rushed in a way that none of his other movies felt. I didn't like Jojo Rabbit for example, but that clearly had way more care put into it than L&T.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Eh, IMO Love and Thunder felt like Taika on autopilot. It felt soulless and rushed in a way that none of his other movies felt. I didn't like Jojo Rabbit for example, but that clearly had way more care put into it than L&T.

This is just not true. He clearly made an effort to tell a very different story than Ragnarok and a lot of care was put into set pieces to make them visually distinct.

It does not feel soulless at all. Jane's entire arc is meaningful.

The movie can be criticized without the blatantly false idea that Taika didn't put effort into it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This is just not true. He clearly made an effort to tell a very different story than Ragnarok and a lot of care was put into set pieces to make them visually distinct.

It does not feel soulless at all. Jane's entire arc is meaningful.

The movie can be criticized without the blatantly false idea that Taika didn't put effort into it.
I don't agree. I was personally shocked how much I disliked the film and how much of that was because it felt like there was hardly any care put into actually telling a meaningful story. There were the foundations of something okay. Gorr and Jane's stories both had potential to be good, but both didn't get any time to breathe.

I was a big fan of Taika Waititi's work, his comedy and the way he tackled serious topics in his films, but after Jojo Rabbit and Love and Thunder being both massive disappointments, I can't say I'm really looking forward to his next work.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am ready for a different tone than the one of Taika and Gunn, so I would be for new directors.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen the new one yet, but Ragnarok is easily the best MCU movie by far, so sure. I'll probably enjoy the new as well despite the mixed reception.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Taika was great but i've started getting a bit annoyed by his humor. IDK what it is with our big name directors, but Peter Jackson was also great at first, and Jane Campion was still killing it before she started saying stupid and offensive shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Yeah, liked Ragnarok--for one, that movie's villain has SO MUCH STRONGER presence than Gorr, like it's not even comparable IMO, Ragnarok's main villain is just much more felt throughout--but pretty indifferent about this one.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I still like his work, but he's been getting a bit full of himself and overly self-congratulatory lately when it comes to queerness in his work. He's been taking heat lately for queerbaiting by saying Love and Thunder would be "super gay" and then he's talking to Out magazine saying "we're all queer" and that he brags to his friends about being a gay icon. It's starting to get weird.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
A lot of hyperbole. But I have felt for a while that his content peaked years ago and am entertained that discussion in general is moving the same way I already was.

Taika was great but i've started getting a bit annoyed by his humor. IDK what it is with our big name directors, but Peter Jackson was also great at first, and Jane Campion was still killing it before she started saying stupid and offensive shit.

I do firmly believe that WWDITS would be a much worse movie had he made it nowadays.

Sep 5, 2021
I thought the movie was better than Ragnarok. In fact, I don't understand who thought it was worse. I didn't think the previous movie was as good as people said.

I didn't really like the comedy in the previous movie, Hela was very jokey and the jokes spoiled the serious scenes, I hated that there were comedy scenes after the Warriors Three died or after Asgard exploded, it made me very angry, but in this new one movie although it had some jokes that i didn't like i thought the jokes didn't spoil the serious scenes, they were well separated and i the movie seemed to have less jokes than the previous movie. I didn't like the movie was that Sif had very few scenes, the movie should have a scene explaining where she was in the previous movie and also that Valkyrie had less importance than in the previous movie, it seemed like at the beginning she would have her own plot about being a King as she was kind of depressed but her scenes didn't lead to anything. Jane Foster was a great Thor and had good comedy and drama scenes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: removed link, upon re-reading it doesn't come across the way I'd initially thought.

Last edited:

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed an uptick on Reddit at least as soon as it became apparent he was in a relationship with Rita Ora and Tessa Thompson

it's so strange to think about but I really do think that's a part of it LMAO, for a certain type of person. that image of him between those two changed their perception of him. he's too "hollywood cool" now.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if this was posted, but someone said Taika seemed like a bit of a jerk earlier and I hadn't seen it. This kind of thing doesn't help his case.

www.insider.com

Taika Waititi says 'Stranger Things' 'ruined Kate Bush' by popularizing 'Running Up That Hill'

Taika Waititi said he wanted to use "a bunch of Kate Bush songs" in "Thor: Love and Thunder," before "Stranger Things" used "Running Up that Hill."
Another nothing burger for this forum to get up in arms about.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Another nothing burger for this forum to get up in arms about.
I'm not saying get up in arms at all, he does come across as a bit of a jerk in that interview though and I can understand why people might dislike him.

I personally like his work, I think the backlash about his poly relationship was ridiculous, i Hinksey the video posted above is fine, but I can understand when he speaks like this about stuff that some might dislike his personality.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to find his stuff appealing more often than not, but I also wonder what a vision guided by someone else's mind might look like. And also Waititi would then be freed up to do more other stuff, which might also be cool.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if this was posted, but someone said Taika seemed like a bit of a jerk earlier and I hadn't seen it. This kind of thing doesn't help his case.

www.insider.com

Taika Waititi says 'Stranger Things' 'ruined Kate Bush' by popularizing 'Running Up That Hill'

Taika Waititi said he wanted to use "a bunch of Kate Bush songs" in "Thor: Love and Thunder," before "Stranger Things" used "Running Up that Hill."
What is going in this forum regarding this dude? How do we have ANOTHER example of Taika Waititi behaving badly that is so goddamn tame? He's clearly joking around in this article.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What is going in this forum regarding this dude? How do we have ANOTHER example of Taika Waititi behaving badly that is so goddamn tame? He's clearly joking around in this article.
Jeaus christ. Why do some of you crank it up to 11 when it doesn't need to go there? Ironic given the content of your post.

He reads like a music snob in that interview and I can understand why people might dislike him personally when I didn't understand it before, that's all.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Jeaus christ. Why do some of you crank it up to 11 when it doesn't need to go there? Ironic given the content of your post.

He reads like a music snob in that interview and I can understand why people might dislike him personally when I didn't understand it before, that's all.
And I'm saying even the designation of "music snob" feels like a reach considering the guy is clearly joking.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

www.insider.com

He's clearly being self-deprecating here.

Taika Waititi said:
"I've become one of those old arseholes who's like: 'These kids never listened to Kate Bush, they've heard one song on a TV show! They don't know Kate Bush! I know Kate Bush!"

That couldn't be much clearer. Nothing about that makes him sound like a jerk.

Anyways, as to the thread topic, I'm all for another one of these and I think they've setup a rather good sequel here, that I'd expect to be called 'Thor: Valhalla'.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

No one is cranking it up to 11. You posted a clickbait article, I assume, without reading it.

"I love that show, but as someone who feels a real ownership of Kate Bush music... I'm really annoyed!" Waititi told NME. "I've become one of those old arseholes who's like: 'These kids never listened to Kate Bush, they've heard one song on a TV show! They don't know Kate Bush! I know Kate Bush!"

You don't even need the video/audio to know he's just joking around.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of his constant need for attention by acting in all of his movies. Please don't let him play a character in Star Wars.

Time to take Orson Welles down a peg or two, that attention seeking fuck! But seriously, there's been quite a few directors who like to insert themselves into their films. Hard to tell what the motivation is in each case. Probably some wanting the extra attention, and some just enjoy acting.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of "Look at how this bitch is eating crackers energy" on the internet towards Taika rn. The CGI staff abuse is terrible, but everything else feels like a reach.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What happened with this abuse?

www.resetera.com

[ The Gamer] VFX Artists Are Refusing To Work With Marvel Due To Stress And Unrealistic Deadlines Entertainment

Source: https://www.thegamer.com/marvel-mcu-vfx-artists-deadlines-crunch-stress/ Some interesting quotes: While all this comes from reddit /VFX (where users are not verified), enough noise came from it to make people talk about this on Twitter too. Seems like overwork and crunch are a common...

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Right now indifferent. Loved Ragnarok, simply enjoyed parts of Love and Thunder. I'd be down for it if he had a better script and learned some self-restraint this time.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
www.resetera.com

[ The Gamer] VFX Artists Are Refusing To Work With Marvel Due To Stress And Unrealistic Deadlines Entertainment

Source: https://www.thegamer.com/marvel-mcu-vfx-artists-deadlines-crunch-stress/ Some interesting quotes: While all this comes from reddit /VFX (where users are not verified), enough noise came from it to make people talk about this on Twitter too. Seems like overwork and crunch are a common...
In the context of your first post I thought you were saying Taika did something to someone.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the context of your first post I thought you were saying Taika did something to someone.

Not directly, but as director it's his responsbility to set appropriate workflow and deadlines I would assume so I would say Taika definitely did "something" to people. Of course, he's not the only one as this pipeline is common not only across Marvel but multiple studious, though Marvel right now appears to be the most egregious.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Haven't seen L&T yet but I understand it's quite divisive. I've also noticed opinions on Taika shifting hard here and on twitter ever since Thor 4 dropped, might just be people who never liked him to begin with finally seeing an opportunity to throw shade at him now that he released a critically mid film.
100% it's this.

I recommend watching T:L&T to develop your own opinion. It has some major issues that I could not forgive but there are some wonderful moments, beautiful shots and a genuinely fantastic final act. You're right though, people who hate Taika or the MCU are having a field day with a movie that's "pretty good but has issues" instead of being as great as we hoped it would be.

Now statements like "this is worse than Dark World" "Garbage" "trash" "fire Taika he sucks!" are permeating the discourse.

I've heard that he had a 4-hour cut that Disney squashed down to 105 minutes for so. It honestly shows. Bring back Taika but only if you aren't going to dice up the movie into something that barely holds together after the editing process.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I'd watch a last Thor from Taika if Tessa and Natalie come back too. Just go back to doing what they did for Ragnarok. All the alleged improvisation clearly didn't help this movie much. I watched Taika joking about how they thought their movie was the best thing ever while filming it but felt nervous in the editing room, I think there was a bit of truth in that, lol.