• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just by working on "The Mandalorian," you've landed squarely in the future of "Star Wars" conversation. Where does that stand now?
I wish there was a better story, I'll put it that way. Are there discussions about the "Star Wars" film? Like, yeah, I discussed with my friends in 1996 how cool "Star Wars" was. That's what they're going off.

Really, there's nothing happening?
I think people see me hanging out with people, especially with "Star Wars," and think I'm having some big discussions about it. I would f—ing love to.

You would want to do a "Star Wars" movie.
If it was right. I would want to do any kind of movie if it made sense, and if it felt not like career suicide.

More at: https://variety.com/2020/film/features/taika-waititi-oscars-jojo-rabbit-thor-star-wars-1203501770/

Burn down the house and blame Winston Churchill if old

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Given what happened with solo I would stay away.

Lucasfilm at this point clearly isn't willing to allow for tonal shift of their franchise

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Working on a modern Star Wars film means you'll either become hated and harassed by thousands of people on the internet, or you'll get fired.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
His answers sounds vague or in jest. The topic title sounds misleading if we're meant to focus on the suicide part.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Could we please spare Taika the experience of being harassed by the still-live-in-my-parents-basement-even-though-I'm-approaching-my-30s Star Wars "fans" for the rest of his life? Star Wars doesn't deserve him, or Rian.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe Taika did a great job on The Mandalorian, and if he directed/wrote a Star Wars movie, it should be something more self-contained as well. Especially if it was a movie about a fan-favorite faction or character with as little Force shenanigans as possible.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Given what happened with solo I would stay away.

Lucasfilm at this point clearly isn't willing to allow for tonal shift of their franchise
I mean Rian Johnson made The Last Jedi but he also made the amazing Knives Out so that doesn't mean anything

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
People are too overly critical and nitpicky about Star Wars... other than the satisfaction on working on a series you admire, there really isn't much upside to directing a Star Wars movie when you're already a established director.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
People are too overly critical and nitpicky about Star Wars... other than the satisfaction on working on a series you admire, there really isn't much upside to directing a Star Wars movie when you're already a established director.

And it's also tiresome on behalf of the studios who can't be sure if said director will be committed to a project because they have so many options.

Star Wars films in general need to take more chances with unknown talent. It worked wonders for Marvel, and you tend to get more output from them if it goes well.

Not that I'm objecting to Taika working on a SW film anyway, but yea.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Working on a modern Star Wars film means you'll either become hated and harassed by thousands of people on the internet, or you'll get fired.

Yup.

You get it from racists, sexists, fanboys, general internet haters when you're at home from a long day of shooting as they obsess over casting, screenshots, and your past filmography.

Ar work probably once a week someone from the studio checks in and say's you're doing a wonderful job' but that not them, but "their boss" has some notes that they feel would be helpful but you can take with a gain of salt but feels as implied as a mafioso conversation.

The movie comes out and now you've got some youtube assholes going through ya movie frame by frame, and long thinkpieces in reputable publications talking about your your movie ruined the franchise.

Now your next job as a director is cancelled because you flopped and suck as a director, lol.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Now your next job as a director is cancelled because you flopped and suck as a director, lol.
When has that ever happened? Rian Johnson is doing just fine, hell from the looks of it his side project suddenly started an entire franchise.
If thats "career cancelled", then wow, get me some of that too. As for JJ. that dude is set for life anyway, and as an amazin producer (if not director) will also get jobs in the industry with ease.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I blame him.

Although seeing the inevitable Korg and Miek cameo in SW would have been something.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
SW isn't necessarily career suicide, but it's immense unneeded stress from both the studio and especially fan side to deliver on a franchise that frankly isn't worth his caliber of talent anymore

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Smartest thing Taika's done. Stay away from this franchise that doesn't deserve you and would either fire you or have an absolutely-insane fanbase harass you forever

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair he said something similar when it came to Thor Ragnarok and he enjoyed the idea of it potentially being a career ender as that encouraged him creatively.

Also some of the comments here don't really make sense when's he already worked on the Mandalorian

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
When has that ever happened? Rian Johnson is doing just fine, hell from the looks of it his side project suddenly started an entire franchise.
If thats "career cancelled", then wow, get me some of that too. As for JJ. that dude is set for life anyway, and as an amazin producer (if not director) will also get jobs in the industry with ease.

I mean, neither did the mafia sitdown in my post. You guys are weird.

Its a risk, period, because its an audience you can't please. JJ is set, for better and for worse he's the go to guy to revitalize a series and his checks will be long unless he fucks up many movies in a row.

If we have to play literal with my jokey post, lets not act like there was a concerted effort to continously fuck with Rian's career including review bombing knives. Ultimately Star Wars is a universe filled with manbabies as a fanbase, under pressure for immense returns in profit because its an important franchise for disney, who take things way too seriously for what boils down to a bunch of blockbuster films.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would prefer him to just keep doing what he's doing. Direct some more eps of Mandalorian at the most. I would hate to see the obnoxious SW fans who turned on Rian Johnson also do the same to Taika.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
To be fair he said something similar when it came to Thor Ragnarok and he enjoyed the idea of it potentially being a career ender as that encouraged him creatively.

Also some of the comments here don't really make sense when's he already worked on the Mandalorian

Sitting in a directors chair for a few episodes of a tv show is a whole other universe then directing a tentpole movie. If Mandalorian was a feature film it would be much less beloved

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough I just watched an interview yesterday when he was being interviewed about soon to be release Thor Ragnorok. When asked why he wanted to make the movie he says:

This could be a career ender in a good way.....The idea it makes me nervous and I know that when I felt that in the past its been a good thing creatively

soo Star Wars movie confirmed?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It's not career suicide. Every director who touched Star Wars sans Trank is doing very well for themselves.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
"Just by working on "The Mandalorian," you've landed squarely in the future of "Star Wars" conversation. Where does that stand now?
I wish there was a better story, I'll put it that way "

That's also how I felt when I watched Rise of Skywalker.
Ba-dum-tisch!

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It's not career suicide. Every director who touched Star Wars sans Trank is doing very well for themselves.
I don't think he's saying that he's speaking in a general sense and applying it to star wars. Basically saying he would direct a star wars film that felt right to him with the implication that none have so far.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
He is shopping a new TV series with Jude Law that he will write and probably direct (just announced in the trades yesterday). With Thor 4 coming up as well any potential SW film from him is a long ways off.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I don't blame him. SW is sort of in a bad place right now.
Uuuh yeah on the film side they needs to figure shit out... but the brand itself will be fine. Mandalorian was a huge hit for them.

And besides people argue that the brand is in a bad place after each theatrical movie... ESB... ROTJ... TFA... TLJ. It is what it is.

edit: after clone wars season 7, mando season 2 and the Rebels sequel drops this year people will argue that SW alive again till the next shitty thing drops.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I would never work on a Star Wars project in any capacity. SW fans can be absolutely awful.