• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
do y'all feel dumb screaming and hollering defending James Gunn's years worth of VERY suspect pedo jokes now or what (I don't care if humor was "different" from 2009-2011)? Is this going to be what finally makes you realize he hasn't been shit since forever?
Based on his third tweet I don't get what issue you have with Gunn's statements.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racist concern trolling. Previously banned for the same.
Things I've heard while listening to black posters in these threads this week:

Looting is good and black people are right for doing it.
Looting is bad and only white people are doing it.
This is not the time for peaceful protest.
Peaceful protests are the only way forward.
White people need to be on the front lines as allies.
This isn't a white person's fight, so they need to take a seat.

I'm still listening, but it's almost as if black people aren't a hive mind(/s), so understanding what to say in support is very confusing and basically as an ally I should shut up and keep listening. The only thing I would ask is that can people give allies a chance to figure this out? I think Taika means well, yes he should shut up but recognize he's certainly not coming from a bad direction.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Come on, have some sympathy. That was a very heartbreaking message from him.
This is a guy who has spent the better part of three decades preaching about the power of people uprising and as soon as it could affect him he starts tip toeing around it. ATL has a thriving black business scene and so do many other cities. But all those years and crying sound like someone who doesn't want THEIR life damaged.

Oct 25, 2017
How was Jojo rabbit tone deaf? Is there a thread on it?

I'm Jewish and all my fellow Jews, all who have learnt about the holocaust from family members who survived the camps, thought it was a good movie

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I would ask is that can people give allies a chance to figure this out?

No. You and others have had plenty of time to stand alongside us and fight with us and for us. We are being murdered every single day and you want a chance and some time. Give me a fucking break. This isn't about you.

If you still need time to "figure it out", you've never been an 'ally'. And people should stop using that term. It's self serving and used by people who think that getting angry on the internet is all that's required but the second they're told to confront their racist family members and friends or speak up, it's all of a sudden inconvenient and uncomfortable.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I never was super thrilled about it before but the last couple of months have completely broken me in regards to celebrity hot takes. How many times have I had to see some rich person who's livelihood is in no danger whatsoever preach from their big comfy castle on the importance of "patience" during the whole coronavirus thing and now a bunch of rich people in positions of economic and cultural power are preaching about the importance of "peace" during the riots (which at this point, are the only way for the oppressed to be heard).

I'm just sick to death of these half formed brain farts and being exposed to the narcissism that fuels these people to think they should use their platforms to broadcast their finger wagging.

Like seriously, JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I may be misunderstanding his tweet, but it does not seem controversial at all. Isn't it commonly understood that anarchists, white supremacists, and bored shitheads are coopting the protests for their own selfish reasons?

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may be misunderstanding his tweet, but it does not seem controversial at all. Isn't it commonly understood that anarchists, white supremacists, and bored shitheads are coopting the protests for their own selfish reasons?
It's commonly understood that the "outside agitators" narrative is used by the police and state to delegitimize the protest and further crush it with force.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
While I agree that it's not hugely controversial, it's pretty common sentiment from many who are at worst decent people. But it's not quite that simple either, while there are also anarchists, white supremacists and bored shitheads doing rioting. That doesn't describe nearly everyone who are vandalising or looting stuff. People like to pretend that it's only people they don't like that are doing things they don't agree with. People love to paint with broad brushes, makes things simpler for them. This behaviour isn't of course exclusive to just this case.

Edit: Also not to excuse people who go to escalate peaceful protests, but we've seen in recent days and prior, that police uses excessive force to anyone. They're the ones escalating atleast as much as any civilians are, even when faced with peaceful protesters rather than rioters.

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. You and others have had plenty of time to stand alongside us and fight with us and for us. We are being murdered every single day and you want a chance and some time. Give me a fucking break. This isn't about you.

If you still need time to "figure it out", you've never been an 'ally'. And people should stop using that term. It's self serving and used by people who think that getting angry on the internet is all that's required but the second they're told to confront their racist family members and friends or speak up, it's all of a sudden inconvenient and uncomfortable.
This is a response that completely ignores the context of what I was saying. Since you seem to want to mischaracterize me or ignore the intent of what I said, due to the heated nature of the times I will leave it there.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Things I've heard while listening to black posters in these threads this week:

Looting is good and black people are right for doing it.
Looting is bad and only white people are doing it.
This is not the time for peaceful protest.
Peaceful protests are the only way forward.
White people need to be on the front lines as allies.
This isn't a white person's fight, so they need to take a seat.

I'm still listening, but it's almost as if black people aren't a hive mind(/s), so understanding what to say in support is very confusing and basically as an ally I should shut up and keep listening. The only thing I would ask is that can people give allies a chance to figure this out? I think Taika means well, yes he should shut up but recognize he's certainly not coming from a bad direction.

It's good that you acknowledge black people aren't a hive mind, because we're not. And I think this fact causes a lot of debate among many of these threads, especially when some posters try to say "You're not an ally if you don't believe [x]," because by their definition some other black people wouldn't even fit that mold. I could ask my individual family members, my black friends, and even some black co-workers, and they'd probably all have slightly different takes on all of this.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a response that completely ignores the context of what I was saying. Since you seem to want to mischaracterize me or ignore the intent of what I said, due to the heated nature of the times I will leave it there.
What's the purpose in pointing out that black and brown voices aren't a collective monolith? Your focus, and the basis of your context, revolves around the manner in which we're protesting and opinions on that instead of why we're protesting, I couldn't care less about how you want to obfuscate but that's the crux of it. It's also disingenuous boiling things down in such simplistic terms and twisting others words into absolutes. A tiny minority have said that this is just a black and brown fight, a tiny minority have said that peaceful protests are the only way forward because even though they may not approve of the violence, they understand that we've been trying that for far too long and our voices have been ignored.

What bothered me most about your post was the privilege of you asking for yourself and allies to have more time in "figuring it out" and telling black and brown people not to be offended by Taika's tweet. Stay in your lane and take all the time you need. Some of us don't have that privilege and if you still need more time, you probably weren't gonna get there anyway.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How was Jojo rabbit tone deaf? Is there a thread on it?

I'm Jewish and all my fellow Jews, all who have learnt about the holocaust from family members who survived the camps, thought it was a good movie
ERA is the only place I started to see this opinion and it's like everyone here absolutely hates it with a passion. I feel like I saw a completely different movie. Apparently people felt like the point of the movie was to depict nazis as lovable goofballs and that it was "Both Sides: The Movie".

Oct 25, 2017
ERA is the only place I started to see this opinion and it's like everyone here absolutely hates it with a passion. I feel like I saw a completely different movie. Apparently people felt like the point of the movie was to depict nazis as lovable goofballs and that it was "Both Sides: The Movie".

But Taika is Jewish and it's a satire, if that is what you got from the movie you completely missed the point

But this isn't the thread for that

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feels weird hearing white people telling me how to feel and act lol. You can try all you want, but you won't ever know how it is being black, so lay off with the lectures.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Hanging out with MAGA Marvel men like Zionist Chris Evans and Chris Pratt and cultural appropriation queen Scarjo all the time must have broke him or something.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Looks like Taika already changed his tune.

Maybe he shouldn't have thrown in his two cents before seeing all the footage eh?

Hanging out with MAGA Marvel men like Zionist Chris Evans and Chris Pratt and cultural appropriation queen Scarjo all the time must have broke him or something.
Evans isn't a MAGA man. I didn't know he was pro-Israel but he spends most of his time on Twitter criticizing Trump and arguing with pro-Trumpers.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand why looting is such a big deal given the circumstances, so people are stealing shit, so what? Why does that even matter?

Can we focus on the real issue of systematic opression and black people getting killed by the police. Let's deal with the looting later.

Unfortunately the Looting shit is taking away from the real issue.

It should have only been about systematic oppression but now people are talking about antifa and looters and violence is being unnecessarily escalated and the message has become really muddy....

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Chris Evans a MAGA man? Do you check his Twitter and read his interviews?

What's the purpose in pointing out that black and brown voices aren't a collective monolith? Your focus, and the basis of your context, revolves around the manner in which we're protesting and opinions on that instead of why we're protesting, I couldn't care less about how you want to obfuscate but that's the crux of it. It's also disingenuous boiling things down in such simplistic terms and twisting others words into absolutes. A tiny minority have said that this is just a black and brown fight, a tiny minority have said that peaceful protests are the only way forward because even though they may not approve of the violence, they understand that we've been trying that for far too long and our voices have been ignored.

What bothered me most about your post was the privilege of you asking for yourself and allies to have more time in "figuring it out" and telling black and brown people not to be offended by Taika's tweet. Stay in your lane and take all the time you need. Some of us don't have that privilege and if you still need more time, you probably weren't gonna get there anyway.

The real white "allies" are the ones who marched with MLK and listened to Malcolm X despite there being White people AND Black people who didn't believe in either. How about some people just stand up for what is right? At the end of the day, that post said it all, it was a defense of Taika's ignorance.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the Looting shit is taking away from the real issue.

It should have only been about systematic oppression but now people are talking about antifa and looters and violence is being unnecessarily escalated and the message has become really muddy....
this is bound to happen whether there are riots or not. Remember when BLM protests were happening in 2014 and a lot of people in the media and elsewhere spent a ton of oxygen to tell them how they shouldn't block traffic or stop people from entering malls? The people in power prefer you to shut up or just protest in a way where no one is forced to engage with your message. If they can't do that then they concern troll. Look at the media right now and how they are barely covering the police antagonizing and bullying protestors. In NYC the cops plowed through protestors in a vehicle and we have the mayor, governor, and commissioner excusing or celebrating the act not outright condemning it. We have corporate media who are laser-focused on both sides-ing this whole thing and making about riots refusing to cover the reprehensible actions of the police. This is propaganda, information warfare. Don't easily buy into these narratives. The playbook on this have existed for decades.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this thread turned Taika Waititi into a white man billionaire, so I'm ready for anything.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't believe some people in this thread have called Taika Waititi white.

Like.

How?

He's so clearly Māori it hurts.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
For what it's worth he has clarified. I'm not going to try to tell anyone what to think but I pretty much always knew this is what he meant, that he was never taking the wrong side

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm not saying he is, I'm wondering if that's where the Chris Evans is a trumper idea came from.

It's a political org trying to bridge the divide or something.
No it came from people upset that he's doing a show where he and others attempt to understand both sides of an argument using interviews with politicians from both sides of the aisle. Those people reviewed it without ever seeing it and deemed Evans to be right wing trash. Those people are dumb.