• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking with Screen Rant while promoting Pixar's Lightyear, Waititi discussed his upcoming Star Wars movie and how it might be different from previous installments. In his response, Waititi remarked how he wants to ensure it "feels like a Star Wars film" by keeping some of the franchise's familiar aspects.
That's yet to be seen. I don't know. I'm still writing. I'm still coming up with the ideas and storylining it and just wanted to make sure that it feels like a Star Wars film.

Because, I could say, "Oh yeah, we'll just write any old thing and set in space and then put Star Wars on the front." But it wouldn't be a Star Wars film without certain elements and a certain treatment, so I've just got to make sure that it stays within that wheelhouse.

That's pretty interesting to me. You would think Waititi of all people would make something completely crazy and out there and not give a shit about fitting a franchise's established templates, but no, seems like he will want to "stay within that wheelhouse".

Anyway at least this confirms he's still working on it

Scrap if old

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty interesting to me. You would think Waititi of all people would make something completely crazy and out there and not give a shit about fitting a franchise's established templates, but no, seems like he will want to "stay within that wheelhouse".

Anyway at least this confirms he's still working on it

Scrap if old
Do you really think that this is a case when he's hired hand for a very detailed managed IP?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Kathleen Kennedy confirmed he was still working on it and that it would likely be the next Star Wars movie a couple weeks ago.

www.resetera.com

Kathleen Kennedy: We are focusing on setting future SW movies in the sequel era and beyond

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/star-wars-upcoming-movies-set-around-sequel-era-kathleen-kennedy-exclusive/ "The sequel era is what we talk a lot about in terms of where we're going with our movies, and just how far out from that we'll go. That's very much the space we're concentrating...

... Also, Doctor Strange and Moana? What?

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Taika Waititi (known for his role as the waiter in 2004's Futile Attraction) confirms his Star Wars project is still in development.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's like about the first Jedi or something and he plays the first Jedi as his typical Taika self like he plays other characters just so I can watch the fandom burn in rage

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Taika's track record is... well he's young.

Guy gets massive props for Flight of the Conchords of course.

And as someone that's seen nothing of Start Wars, I don't think he can do worse lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
TROS really didn't feel like a SW film to me, it lacked optimism and sincerity, and spent most of the film trying to undermine the previous director's choices.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Taika's track record is... well he's young.

Guy gets massive props for Flight of the Conchords of course.
I really dont see how someone who's done Flight of the Conchords
What We Do in the Shadows
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Thor Ragnarok
Jojo Rabbit
and Our Flag Means Death
could be passed off as any sort of "well, they're still young" garbo

amialion

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Maybe he learned from watching another talented director make a really good film that wasn't Star Warsy enough for a good chunk of the fanbase. It's amazing he even wants to make a SW movie knowing the tightrope he'll have to walk.

Oct 30, 2017
don't see this as any different to how ragnarok was one of the best MCU movies despite being the sequel to two of the most boring ones. he obviously had parameters to work within but managed to make something original and great. i agree with him there's no point in making a random "star wars" movie disconnected from the rest of the universe.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I'm glad that's his focus because his style could absolutely clash with the series. Obviously there will most likely be some touches of his throughout, but I'm hoping it's just in things like the humour (might be one of the rare new Star Wars films where the humour isn't shit).

Will also be interesting to see if he introduces any new space craft to the franchise named after classic Australian cars.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I really dont see how someone who's done Flight of the Conchords
What We Do in the Shadows
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Thor Ragnarok
Jojo Rabbit
and Our Flag Means Death
could be passed off as any sort of "well, they're still young" garbo
I will not stand for this Boy or Eagle vs Shark erasure.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It better feel like the Star Wars I love but also be new and exciting or I'm gonna be mad on the internet

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
will his movie involves an adult rescuing and bonding with a young child, that's pretty much a requirement for star wars now

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
My reading is, that he needs to make sure that whatever scenarios he is writing, do not contradict established lore, while also interconnecting & setting up storylines beyond the movie scope (since Disney wants to keep churning SW stuff forever). All of that, likely takes time.

And that's fine.
It should help to prevent another let's-kamikaze-hyperjump (that breaks the most basic element of the whole SW universe), for the sake of short-lived spectacle.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
... His track record is acclaimed and widely acknowledged as fantastic so this is a strange comment.
Eh, like I said. He's young. Wide as the net may be, I'm definitely not caught in it just yet. Talented as fuck tho. There's really not that much to go on as it stands currently.

I guess I just have a high bar lol

If my opinion is 'garbo' that's fine, too.

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I don't like Rogue One, it's the only Star Wars film that didn't feel like Star Wars, but in a good way. I'd certainly take more like it, and hope future directors don't worry about "feeling like Star Wars" too much.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
WHAT A YOUNG SOUL

MAYBE HE WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN FILM IN MEDIA SOMEDAY

MAYBE HE WILL WRITE AND DIRECT SOME CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED TELEVISION PROGRAMS OR FILMS

BUT HE HAS YET TO GROW

YET TO FLORISH
Yes.

Many think he has.

And I think he will.

Good boy:
93p9s37qdvh81.jpg

Nuggets or treats?

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Fine as it is. Fine as it be.

I just called the guy young, really lol

Fine, he's 46 — my bad. He's old.

Last time I compliment a celebrity with an ounce of nuance.

He has so many good films and shows created already. He's old enough to be established. Kubrick did 2001 when he was like 39 or 40. I feel like Star Wars should be given to more amateur directors, honestly. Directors like Rian Johnson are great and I love what he did but obviously fanbases seem to prefer a cookie cutter layout than something against their comfort zone. I'm more excited about his adaptation of The Incal. Taika directing material by Jodorowsky melts my mind in a good way.

Also, wasn't Lucas like 31 when he made A New Hope?

Oct 25, 2017
That's really in line with his Mando episodes (which were fantastic). He brought his flair and humor while still being entirely "Star Wars". His movie should be great.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
just add a bunch of meaningless cameos of background characters from the original trilogy and it'll totally feel like star wars

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
how about you treat a person who's been grinding in the industry for more than half of his life with some respect
There was no disrespect. I should've just stayed out of topics I haven't seen or whatever, fine – fair enough. Can you blame me for loving Flight of the Conchords that much tho?

Nah. The answer is no.

I pretty much was alluding to the fact that the guy has a great future, huge fan of FotC. My bad for my shit way of saying it. Seriously. Feel like I'm defending words. Just words lol My OG comment is there, reread it. It's not that serious of a comment. There's no lines to read between.

Edit* and now I know what a derail might be. My bad. And I'm fucking off. Over and out.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
There was no disrespect. I should've just stayed out of topics I haven't seen or whatever, fine – fair enough. Can you blame me for loving Flight of the Conchords that much tho?

Nah. The answer is no.

I pretty much was alluding to the fact that the guy has a great future, huge fan of FotC. My bad for my shit way of saying it. Seriously. Feel like I'm defending words. Just words lol My OG comment is there, reread it. It's not that serious of a comment. There's no lines to read between.
nah, it's ok, im sorry I took it more seriously than I did, I see what you were getting at now

sometimes I get a bit too aggro when there's really no reason for me to

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feige and Taika are going to make an actual good star wars movie. It will release on time, on budget and without major production issues and embarrass the hell outta Lucasfilm.