• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 19, 2017

After Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the space fantasy franchise is going on a pause, in terms of theatrical movies. But that does not mean the process has ground to a halt.

Taika Waititi, the filmmaker behind the Oscar-nominated Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok, has been approached to develop a Star Wars movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

It is unclear where things stand in those talks. It is also unclear whether the project is separate from the one being developed by Kevin Feige, with whom he closely worked on Ragnarok, or a separate Star Wars project.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Taika Waititi Courted for Star Wars Movie (Exclusive)
After Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the space fantasy franchise is going on a pause, in terms of theatrical movies. But that does not mean the process has ground to a halt.
Taika Waititi, the filmmaker behind the Oscar-nominated Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok, has been approached to develop a Star Wars movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.
It is unclear where things stand in those talks. It is also unclear whether the project is separate from the one being developed by Kevin Feige, with whom he closely worked on Ragnarok, or a separate Star Wars project.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yeah. Don't have any of the skywalker saga characters in and make it completely original? Yessir

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I won't say no, just please don't constrain him. Feige leashing him would be terrible. And yes, Ragnarok was Takia leashed and his worst film.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
On one hand, YAY TAIKA, and on the other hand, please don't waste your talents on SW, Taika. But if you do, I'm definitely there.

Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer he did a Korg movie.

edit: or bring korg to the star war universe. Hey men, i'm korg, this is my friend kylo, we are going to jump on this space ship, want to come?

02trfx6wmia41.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's doing Thor, then Akira, and then this would be it, right?

But at this point, this is like a DCEU-type of announcement :v

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The part of the fandom that wants just cliches and repeats of the old movies will not like this.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Taika, like James Gunn, is one of those directors where these franchise projects fit perfectly in their oeuvre. So, I hope it works out.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope not. He's way too good a director and writer for Star Wars.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm down for a Waititi Star Wars, between Thor: Ragnarok and The Mandolorian he's shown he knows how to handle Space Fantasy.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
yes as long as they let him do his thing... I mean he is a proven director for the house of mouse between Jojo rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok he has a history of bringing money into mickey's hands.