• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Tactics game would you most enjoy or recommend today?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 86 30.0%
  • Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

Votes: 155 54.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • Duh! All 3 are must play. Give us more!

Votes: 27 9.4%

• Total voters

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
TWO Timeless games and one game that may well become timeless over the years. I really liked FFT when I was younger. Never actually played Ogre on SNES but tried a little on PSP years back. Fell Seal was my favorite game last year as it came close to capturing much of the FFT magic for me. Which one would you most recommend to people, or which would you most love playing yourself today? :)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
FFT remains my favourite, but Fell Seal was incredible and one of the best games of 2019. I really recommend to anyone who passingly likes that genre.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Never attempted to play Fell Seal, and I absolutely love FFT. I should try to correct this wrong.

But Tactics Ogre will always be special to me. This game was a collection of gut punches. I don't think I will ever experience a story like this one ever again. There's no fantasy writer quite like Matsuno. There simply isn't.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played FFT, so that one.

I love how FFT and TO are completely unplayable on modern hardware. It's great! I love not paying money!

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought nothing could top FFT, but the PSP remake of TO comes close. I need to replay it.

Also I only recently beat it for the first time, and it's a bit different, but Pool of Radiance (and I imagine the rest of the Gold Box games) kinda share the same DNA as these, so I'd recommend checking those out if you haven't already.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I played though Tactics Ogre on PSP a few years ago and it blew my mind, such a mature and intense story. FF Tactics is great but I had a better time with Tactics Ogre.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay-wise? Fell Seal dramatically improves on its rather broken forebears.

Story-wise? Both TO and FFT are masterful, but I prefer TO.

Play all of them!

(Obligatory "please port FFT/TO remasters to modern systems, SE." Mobile and PSP should not still have their definitive versions.)

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User Warned: Accusations of shilling
Is this a marketing thread for this Fell Seal game that's being compared to games from the top of the genre?

OP
OP
MajulaDream

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Never attempted to play Fell Seal, and I absolutely love FFT. I should try to correct this wrong.

So much of it feels like a tribute to FFT in the gameplay department. Even brings back the character wheel, which made me pretty excited haha.

FECC930-E-DDF1-4-CCD-9-A11-AFD626-EFC975.jpg

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for Fell Seal to go on sale on the eshop for a few months now and nothin'. I don't mind paying full price but I figure it has to happen sometime!

(FFT and TO are amazing)

SupraDarky

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely had the same perception as some people here concerning Fell Seal's art style, but boy am I glad I still gave it a chance because it's absolutely up there with the tactical RPG greats.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Final Fantasy Tactics is probably in my top 3 greatest games of all time.

Tactics Ogre is close, but lacks some QoL improvements such as the fitting room.

I have yet to play Fell Seal. I'm buying it right now

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together -> Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions ->->->->->->->-> Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark

Keep in mind I think Fell Seal is still a pretty good game. I just think the other two are the two best SRPGs ever made.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
What the fuck, I've never heard of Fell Seal, and yall are comparing it to FFT, and it's ON SWITCH? Should I buy this right now?!

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I always liked how Tactics ogre was anti-wish fulfillment and coaxed you towards stepping aside the reigns of power for the good of the nation as there's no scenario where you were successful able to rule.

It's a bit of rare thing for a game to subtly tell the player it's not about you. There's also a fair bit more freedom in general in comparison to FFT

Last edited:

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics is the best overall, artstyle is great, story is amazing (Delita did nothing wrong!) and gameplay is fun and totally broken in a good way.

Also, I need to recommend to everyone watch FFT battleground on Twitch, is the best gift for all FFT fans, it's a shame that Sqnix abandoned us.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
FFT. And I don't even acknowledge the GBA games cause those are trash by comparison. I need a real sequel (or preferably prequel) of FFT

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Super hard to pick between FFT and TO, but I think TO slightly edges it out. They are two of my favorite games of all time though. Would highly recommend either but if someone was new to these games I think I would recommend FFT over TO.

Also why the heck haven't they been ported to PC/modern consoles yet!

Fell Seal looks interesting, but I don't know how sold I am on it. The sprite work is kinda eh, so it would need a pretty sweet story to compensate.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Nobody expecting Fell Seal to have a chance when most here didn't played it lol myself included.

That said, Tactics Ogre is easily better than FFT tho i enjoy both.

Devil Survivor is king of the genre anyway.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Fell Seal looks interesting, but I don't know how sold I am on it. The sprite work is kinda eh, so it would need a pretty sweet story to compensate.
The story is all right. Nothing mind blowing but not bad. It's not Matsuno level.

The gameplay is incredible though. It might even surpass its predecessor, it's really well balanced and polished. The gameplay loop will satisfy that "Tactics" itch, trust me.

The soundtrack is very strong too. I bought it on Bandcamp.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
The story is all right. Nothing mind blowing but not bad. It's not Matsuno level.

The gameplay is incredible though. It might even surpass its predecessor, it's really well balanced and polished. The gameplay loop will satisfy that "Tactics" itch, trust me.

It would be unfair to expect the vast majority of games to be Matsuno level haha. Still, if the gameplay is that good it's probably worth a look for me even if the story is ok.

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Definitely love all three of them, and I won't pass up a opportunity to bring more awareness to Fell Seal. People complain about the artstyle but I think it's fine. Honestly I'm just happy it's not anime.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Lol why did I only hear about Fell Seal just now?

While I've never really sat down and played through TO and FFT to completion since they came out, I'd probably give the edge to TO.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Fell Seal is good,

Tactics Ogre is better

but there's still nothing that touches Final Fantasy Tactics

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Final Fantasy Tactics followed by....Disgaea lol

Only Tactics Ogre I played is Knights of Lodis for GBA and I enjoyed it more than Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Never heard of Fell Seal but will check it out.

Edit: Oh its a Steam game...and came out last year.

And in a not so surprising moment, I actually have it wishlisted lmao.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I would argue that I love FFT and on lesser degree TO due to how it's not balanced, I like breaking the game if I want too and FFT is just so satisfying on building up that perfect Terminator (doesn't have to be Orlandu even)

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
The last strategy game to really surprise me was Natural Doctrine.
The battle system is different from everything I ever played, but it's deep and very satisfying once you learn it.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I would argue that I love FFT and on lesser degree TO due to how it's not balanced, I like breaking the game if I want too and FFT is just so satisfying on building up that perfect Terminator (doesn't have to be Orlandu even)
Well, if you build your character just right you can have some pretty broken folks too ;) probably not as OP as Orlandeau (no one is), but a battle mage with dual attack wrecks shit up~

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you build your character just right you can have some pretty broken folks too ;) probably not as OP as Orlandeau (no one is), but a battle mage with dual attack wrecks shit up~
Added it on my ps4 wishlist, that said does it have an auto/ai mode? I like grinding using that lol

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics followed by....Disgaea lol

Only Tactics Ogre I played is Knights of Lodis for GBA and I enjoyed it more than Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Never heard of Fell Seal but will check it out.

Edit: Oh its a Steam game...and came out last year.

And in a not so surprising moment, I actually have it wishlisted lmao.

Wheel of Fate is so much better than Knights of Lodis.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is my all-time SRPG favorite. FFT is 2nd, held back only by a weaker story than the masterful LUCT.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
TO and FFT should both be played by anyone interested in the genre, they're essential games. I replayed the FFT remake last year and it still feels like a game released today, especially with the new translation.

first time i heard of the other game.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Let Us Cling Together is the best game ever made. It's that simple. The War of the Lions is the second best game ever made.
Fell Seal is an overlooked gem, but it's not in the same league as the other two, especially when it comes to presentation and story. Still, it should be played by everyone.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre are very, very close, but I give FFT a slight edge in the gameplay department. Fell Seal is good but a distant third.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love FF and FFT, I had a lot more fun with TO overall. That game is still the bar for SRPGs