• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Eventually they're going to reduce their menu to just burritos so that all of their food fits into pneumatic tube canisters like at the bank.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think this will improve working conditions in the long run? To me it looks like it'll just push consumption to higher and higher levels and create impossible workloads. And once again the only beneficiaries will be the corporations.

I would say the worst thing about working fast food is dealing with customers.

If the only people I had to deal with was my crew mates, I would have actually enjoyed myself during those years. In between getting yelled at by customers and robbed at gunpoint, we actually had a fun at work tbh…

I can think of no downsides to being separated from customer. Will the workload be increased by people driving through rather than dining in… maybe… tough to tell. There's no guarantee that increasing velocity will lead to a higher volume of customers in a day.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022
Three of the drive-thru lanes are dedicated to mobile or delivery orders and the fourth is a traditional drive-thru.

Thank god. I don't get Taco Bell but I'm tired of some fuckin idiot who spends 15 minutes in front of me deciding what they want as if fast food places have good food options. Each place has like 4 edible items and everything else is garbage

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eventually they're going to reduce their menu to just burritos so that all of their food fits into pneumatic tube canisters like at the bank.
I think the logical next step is robot assemblers or pre-packaged burrito/tacos kind of like how they have prepackaged onigiri.
a0001721_parts_5a28920c0efa5.jpg

You pull some plastic tabs and the meat and filling are released into the tortilla.

Maybe a transition period where you have managers doublechecking orders and stocking, but eventually they will just be fully automated.
No managers or onsite staff. Just a big robot vending machine.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cook Out figured how to do multilane drive throughs without needing easily breakable tube delivery already.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
impressive, that's a lot of new machines than can break in all kinds of new ways

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Only missing these pipes, they have human workers instead that bring the food out to each stall

The tubes are why people are interested.

I guess this is a non-walkable place? A line for people passing by without a car would be useful.

My partner and I were talking about that. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to walk up and scan the code on your phone and then grab your food from the tube.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I'd be thrilled with this just to be less likely to end up in a fucking 15 car lineup when I just want a shitty quesadilla and a chili cheese burrito to ease the pain of existence.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the conversation here is about stalls lmao Also human workers don't eliminate jobs and x5 the work for the few left

It really isn't mostly about stalls. Where did I bring up eliminating jobs? Feels like we're looking at two different threads at this point. Workers no longer have to clean up and maintain the dine-in area, bathrooms destroyed by people desperate enough to use a Taco Bell bathroom, the bottleneck that typical drive-thrus have will be lessened by having the equivalent of multiple drive-thrus, workers don't have to take the time to go and hand out orders to folks who had to pull ahead because of a large order, no interaction time verbally confirming mobile orders, etc.

You pivoted from instantly dismissing the idea, by acting like it's old hat, to saying it's bad for workers. On what basis?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't mostly about stalls. Where did I bring up eliminating jobs? Feels like we're looking at two different threads at this point. Workers no longer have to clean up and maintain the dine-in area, bathrooms destroyed by people desperate enough to use a Taco Bell bathroom, the bottleneck that typical drive-thrus have will be lessened by having the equivalent of multiple drive-thrus, workers don't have to take the time to go and hand out orders to folks who had to pull ahead because of a large order, no interaction time verbally confirming mobile orders, etc.

You pivoted from instantly dismissing the idea, by acting like it's old hat, to saying it's bad for workers. On what basis?
I'm comparing this to sonic, which is literally the original post you quoted

Sonic hires more workers to do multiple jobs, including being a server, i've never even seen a soul eat inside of a sonic let alone mess up bathrooms? so don't see how that would be different at all, many of the sonics by me don't even have an option to eat inside at all lol

Give sonic stalls this tube system and this is literally that whole idea, how is that NOTHING like this???

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I'm comparing this to sonic, which is literally the original post you quoted

Sonic hires more workers to do multiple jobs, including being a server, i've never even seen a soul eat inside of a sonic let alone mess up bathrooms? so don't see how that would be different at all, many of the sonics by me don't even have an option to eat inside at all lol

Give sonic stalls this tube system and this is literally that whole idea, how is that NOTHING like this???

I'm referring to how this would impact Taco Bell's workers.

Your comparison to Sonic is bad because it's not the same concept. Cars in front of screens next to each other doesn't equal Sonic. Sonics have stalls for way more cars so to duplicate this would require a much larger building overhead and still have plenty of walking in that area for employees because it wouldn't make sense to have that much kitchen equipment that would go mostly unused. Sonic stalls are primarily for folks who are eating there not just grabbing it and going since those folks tend to use the drive-thru that Sonic also offers.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Did they take over a bank? 'Cause every fast food place in my town that has closed over the years has been turned into a bank since they're already zoned as a drive-thru. You'd think it would work the other way around too.

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

20220607_205355.jpg

Shot as I was pulling up to the back of the traffic line from the direction I came from. Cars were going the wrong way on the street connected to the entrance/exit trying to cut over to the mobile order line, causing even more issues. I'm sure it'll be nice once it's not opening day but the wait was ROUGH.

20220607_192152.jpg

View after they got us sorted into the appropriate lane.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this just like sonic lol
They have stalls at every location and have for a looooong time
Sonic you have to wait for the employee to bring out your food. Last time I went the service was so bad and slow. This seemingly has the food just woosh down the tube in front of you. Infinitely better.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My job would be immeasurably improved if my only customer interaction was putting things in tubes to send to them.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Cool that they have a kiosk for walk-ups.

As someone else mentioned I'm curious what it looks like inside for the employees.

Oct 27, 2017
This monstrosity looks like it will never recoup the investment it must have taken to build it. That and those food tube things will be disgusting/destroyed in like 2 months.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This monstrosity looks like it will never recoup the investment it must have taken to build it. That and those food tube things will be disgusting/destroyed in like 2 months.
Why would they be gross? It's just a platform with a take out bag on it.
Are people watching the video? It's not the tiny pneumatic tubes shooting burritos at you lol.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all saying that this is "just like a Sonic" realize that Guy isn't talking about drive-in theaters, right? There are lots of places that have stalls where the food is brought out to you. The tubes / focus on drive-thru are the reason this is getting attention.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I do DoorDash and grub hub and I would kill if the two Taco Bell's here was like this, half the time the lobby is closed, waiting in the drive through for half a hour means I skip almost all tack bell orders now unless it's a ton of money and low miles.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017

I imagine most Taco Bell's recoup their investment. This couldn't cost *that* much more that it wouldn't do the required amount of business. Lol.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
This looks hellish. I will never understand why Americans like drive-throughs so much.

For real. Just seems like a grim experience all round.

I'm all for a nice bit of fast food, but much prefer picking some up on the high street and walking, or even sitting in some places.