• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you typically play TotM already in person then it shouldn't be too much of an issue - there are different discord bots you can set up with full character sheets if you want that might speed things up, but I only ever use discord for voice/out of game chat. DiA is pretty punishing though, especially the early Baldur's Gate part.
Thanks! We found some good add ons for macros to speed the clunky stuff up a bit. Reminds me of my MUD days hehe.

I am also playing a Grave cleric, so I am kinda as ready as I can be for punishing lol.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer not to have what is essentially a DM run PC, because those are never great, nor do I want to burden any of the others with playing two characters, as that takes away their ability to get entirely into their own. So I'm looking for a solution that's kind of a middle ground. Maybe I'll just have to make one myself?
I usually just roleplay the NPC but give the sheet to a player to handle the mechanics during combat. It's never seemed that bad, but yeah, a little clunky. Still, the players have all become very connected with those NPCs, so I think it's worth the trade off.

Making some kind of AI for this probably wouldn't be too terrible, but the main issue I see is how you feed it the state of the game on a regular basis. Unless you're imagining a thing where it reduces the complexity of decision making and handles all the dice rolling? Could be a neat little tool.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I had the absolute joy of seeing my players lose their minds when they realised the prologue is now behind them and they just had the first taste of what their characters have really gotten into.

Such a great feeling to see how they really enjoy my homebrew setting and stories.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I had the absolute joy of seeing my players lose their minds when they realised the prologue is now behind them and they just had the first taste of what their characters have really gotten into.

Such a great feeling to see how they really enjoy my homebrew setting and stories.
That's awesome. One of the many great parts about being a DM.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
So I've signed up to play Call of Cthulhu via Roll20. It's going to be audio only for now, but I have no headset. Any suggestions for a USB headset that would provide great audio quality?

Willing to spend a bit if it gives everyone in the game a better experience.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
So I've signed up to play Call of Cthulhu via Roll20. It's going to be audio only for now, but I have no headset. Any suggestions for a USB headset that would provide great audio quality?

Willing to spend a bit if it gives everyone in the game a better experience.

Update: I had the time of my life playing last night. It was my first tabletop experience and I loved it. Anyone here play the game?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Getting ready to run a solo Mage the Awakening game with my partner. They just finished updating their previous character from 1st edition to 2nd edition.

First time I've run Mage in about 8 years.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Let us know the recap? I love that world.
Sure. I actually used to be one of THE people to talk to about Mage. I was the chief mod for the Shadownessence Mage the Awakening form. Even interviewed Bill Bridges. And had a very long actual play of my first chronicle.

If it all goes well I might do a short form version of that here.

Homebrewer

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Posting this because it is rather surreal, I just got yelled at in the dnd UK discord server by a nazi because i didnt want to run a game for a group of nazis and I didnt tell them I wasnt going to run it, so they wasted their time making charrys and stuff.
What an age we live in.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Posting this because it is rather surreal, I just got yelled at in the dnd UK discord server by a nazi because i didnt want to run a game for a group of nazis and I didnt tell them I wasnt going to run it, so they wasted their time making charrys and stuff.
Not to disagree with your decision, but I would've run it.

"We're going to play a one-shot based on Indiana Jones. . ."

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Not to disagree with your decision, but I would've run it.

"We're going to play a one-shot based on Indiana Jones. . ."

Nah. What you do is say is "So in this game you have been charged by the leaders of several Allied Nations to sneak into a hostile Kingdom and Rescue a group of people that the king of that Kingdom views as unpure."

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. What you do is say is "So in this game you have been charged by the leaders of several Allied Nations to sneak into a hostile Kingdom and Rescue a group of people that the king of that Kingdom views as unpure."
In my (thankfully limited) experience, Nazis are way too stupid to grasp subtlety. A bunch of them just got outed as following a 13-year-old. The original Nazis got everything about the swastika wrong. No, I want them to know they're the baddies. But heck, it's far from a sure thing that they'd even get the Indiana Jones reference.

Oct 27, 2017
Had a good session using roll20 on Sun night. Finding it a bit clunky to DM over video remote, but getting the hang of it.

Best part was a riddle guarding the dwarvan vault:

The heavy iron door to the vault is locked by a kind of
combination lock. Letters in Davek script, the alphabet
of the Dwarvan and Giant languages, are on four wheels
internal to the door such that only one letter is visible at a
time. Each wheel has all the letters in the alphabet on it.
lnscribed in the door are the following words in Dwarven:
"None but a dwarvan hand can open me, and only after
bringing me a giaint 's head." The solution to this riddle is to
use the wheels to spell the word "head " in Giant and then
"hand" in Dwarven. When this is done, the lock clicks
open.
from Cairn of the Winter King

I don't have enough riddles. It was good fun and a nice change of pace. They figured it out but not before considering getting a dwarvan hand and giants head - two corpses from earlier in the dungeon.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Had a good session using roll20 on Sun night. Finding it a bit clunky to DM over video remote, but getting the hang of it.

I don't have enough riddles. It was good fun and a nice change of pace. They figured it out but not before considering getting a dwarvan hand and giants head - two corpses from earlier in the dungeon.

That is an awesome riddle and the bold is the most TTRPG Party thing that ever TTRPG Partied. :D

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

How did you describe the puzzle? Did you have a virtual wheel they could play around with or was it just the description?

Oct 27, 2017
How did you describe the puzzle? Did you have a virtual wheel they could play around with or was it just the description?

No, just described it to them. Actually in this case a real prop wouldn't have worked as well becuase the puzzle involved the two languages Dwarvan and Giant, centring on the fact in World Axis (4e) setting they share the same script.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My players are going to be potentially traversing a desert in their next session, any suggestions for what might be an appropriate Survival DC for finding shelter (like rock formations, ditches, ruins, etc.)? I was thinking 14 might be fine, but I also think that this would be the first time any of their characters have ever been to a desert as well.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a discord or something to find a party to play with? My current party has had attendence issues lately and due to Covid I can't attend locals. I think i could add another campaign to my schedule.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering a cheap laptop or iPad for DM'ing. Something that can run OneNote. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I should say, I really need something that I can use to write out notes, which is why I'm leaning iPad.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering a cheap laptop or iPad for DM'ing. Something that can run OneNote. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I should say, I really need something that I can use to write out notes, which is why I'm leaning iPad.
I bought an iPad for running games, and I'd highly recommend it but since we're in the pandemic, it's a bit less useful.
There's an iOS app called Encounter+ with a lot of great support that I love using to help run my games too.
the OneNote app also works just fine.
(I only really caved for the iPad due to getting a good second hand deal for the keyboard, pencil, and last years version for like $300)

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I bought an iPad for running games, and I'd highly recommend it but since we're in the pandemic, it's a bit less useful.
There's an iOS app called Encounter+ with a lot of great support that I love using to help run my games too.
the OneNote app also works just fine.
(I only really caved for the iPad due to getting a good second hand deal for the keyboard, pencil, and last years version for like $300)

Thanks for the reply!

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC

I came here to ask this same question. For me it is trying to find a way to read through a ton of digital only modules.

Just wish they would give the iPad air a USB c port.

Also, playing the alien RPG for the first time Monday. :)

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Also, anyone have thoughts on the D&D Dungeon Tiles Reincarnated sets?

I only have them on Roll20 but uh... they're not good. I'm not a fan of the realistic art style but I thought it'd be really simple to throw together and make some maps on the fly - at least in an urban setting so I dont have my players sat on a blank battle mat. I made a couple maps but it took about as long as a third party program (Dungeon Painter Studio or just looking online) so I wouldn't recommend it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I may have gone overboard and bought Dungeondraft, Wonderdraft, a new printer, a surface pro 7, and the legendary set of dirt cheap dungeons, all for my home game.

Ok yeah the printer and surface aren't just for DMing. Is what I'll try to convince my wife, at least.

kennah

Nov 11, 2018
Had to change up the campaign with my kids today (10, 8, 5). They chose Storm King's Thunder as the event they wanted to pursue post LMoP, but it's proving too intense for them. We abandoned that encounter (well, hand waved "you win and meet up at the tavern after" and are going to do more lighter one off kinds of things instead of a huge campaign right from the start. I'll try to tie our things together best as I can, but a little nervous to DM without the crutch of going from an existing adventure.

But the base of it is, no one was having fun, and we all decided to give something else a try!

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Random Thing I found browsing Drive Thru RPG. It's free and it discusses a good topic in gaming. Consent. Especially important after the somewhat recent Far Verona livestream incident.

DriveThruRPG.com

Your one-stop online shop for new and vintage RPG products from the top publishers, delivered fresh to your desktop in electronic format.

Homebrewer

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
I love DnD so much. One of my players had to bail out of the game suddenly, so I had him sacrifice himself at the end of a huge and intense battle and gave him a proper send off. 4 of out 6 players were crying their hearts out. This game means so much to them.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Decided to finally play D&D online. We only used Discord and Avrae and it worked really well! I was reluctant but I think strictly just doing theater of the mind was so much damn fun. I just found some locals on /r/nycmeetups and I love playing with new players. We're just doing the starter set for now and once they reach the end I plan to open it up.

They really took to the role playing and initially had trouble caring for Gundren but once in town. A quick trip to Phandalin always helps give players some ideas on what to do. Back the way they came, onto Sildar and 5 hours later they're nearly dying because of some terrible rolls all around but man, it was so fun.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Getting ready to run a solo Mage the Awakening game with my partner. They just finished updating their previous character from 1st edition to 2nd edition.

First time I've run Mage in about 8 years.
It's my favorite WW game, though I keep having more luck with running V:TM games for some odd reason... I have a really hard time keeping interest in the online games I've run for M:TA.

I did have a lot of success with running a live action game though, go figure.
(The premise was a college campus where a former-Pentacle was going around stealing souls because her boyfriend was a scelesti and deceiving her.)

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's my favorite WW game, though I keep having more luck with running V:TM games for some odd reason... I have a really hard time keeping interest in the online games I've run for M:TA.

I did have a lot of success with running a live action game though, go figure.
(The premise was a college campus where a former-Pentacle was going around stealing souls because her boyfriend was a scelesti and deceiving her.)
Mage is definitely one of those games that you absolutely have to have the right players for.

I actually had a chronicle totally fall apart because some of the players couldn't grasp how to use the magic system and had to be told constantly by the other players what do with the Arcana near every session.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Mage is definitely one of those games that you absolutely have to have the right players for.

I actually had a chronicle totally fall apart because some of the players couldn't grasp how to use the magic system and had to be told constantly by the other players what do with the Arcana near every session.
That might be it. Most of the players I get just aren't familiar with it, most of the scenes I'm in are more familiar with V:TM.

I never even have much luck finding campaigns to play in, so I usually wind up recruiting instead.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What I tend to do when introducing Mage The Awakening to people is before anyone makes the character I literally do a little lecture series on the game.

I explained the lore, the orders, the paths, and the spellcasting system. Then after that I basically just ask people what kind of spells they would want to cast and explain what Arcana it would use to do it.

After that I we start characters.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I love DnD so much. One of my players had to bail out of the game suddenly, so I had him sacrifice himself at the end of a huge and intense battle and gave him a proper send off. 4 of out 6 players were crying their hearts out. This game means so much to them.

Awesome stuff. Consider having a social get-together (just drinks or a simple boardgame) to reminisce and commemorate the character before the next session kicks off... helps with the processing and the transition to more adventures.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
That's always the best thing as a DM. I've gotten a number of emotional reactions out of my players (no crying yet, but it'll probably happen at some point) and it makes all the time you put in worth it.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
What I tend to do when introducing Mage The Awakening to people is before anyone makes the character I literally do a little lecture series on the game.

I explained the lore, the orders, the paths, and the spellcasting system. Then after that I basically just ask people what kind of spells they would want to cast and explain what Arcana it would use to do it.

After that I we start characters.
Yep, I do that too.
You can see my primer here if you're interested:
forums.penny-arcade.com

[OOC] Mage: The Awakening - The Carnival of Madness [PBP]

Come on, come all!, the signs proclaimed. The best circus in town. Performances you'll never forget, wonders you'll never believe.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing the Single Player RPG Thousand Year Old Vampire today! It has you make a character, set up some people that they knew as a mortal and some resources they have, then you figure out how you got turned. Then you start going through prompts, randomly determined by dice rolls, and just instantly starts wrecking stuff. It's extremely cool, and adds a ton of drama through the way it forces you to expend your resources and characters. Since it's a single player game, it's essentially just an extended creative writing exercise, but that can be a nice thing for times when you can't get a group together.

Also, gotta shout out the book, because it's styled as if it was some dusty old journal that you found in an old book shop. It is printed to look very old, has tons of repairs and alterations over parts of the text, and really does give the idea of having some ancient thing's diary. I was lucky enough to get a physical copy, which it looks like aren't available right now, but the PDF is on DrivethruRPG and other places.