• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I could use some (wild) ideas on how to give my players some phat loot.

My players are getting close to a showdown with the big bad of the first arc of our campaign and I need to figure out a way to reward them nicely (if they make it out alive it is). The thing is, that the big bad in this case is basically a homebrew Dire Wolf in steroids and the fight is most likely going to take place on a field close to village they are defending. My original plan was to conclude this arc inside a "lair", where the said loot would be waiting, but things did not go that way and I am not going to railroad them there now.

So, how to reward some item(s) in addition to the milestone level up they are getting, when the enemy in an animal with no gear to drop and the characters are fighting it basically next to the inn they have been staying all this time?

edit. they will be level 3 if they survive and level up

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I could use some (wild) ideas on how to give my players some phat loot.

My players are getting close to a showdown with the big bad of the first arc of our campaign and I need to figure out a way to reward them nicely (if they make it out alive it is). The thing is, that the big bad in this case is basically a homebrew Dire Wolf in steroids and the fight is most likely going to take place on a field close to village they are defending. My original plan was to conclude this arc inside a "lair", where the said loot would be waiting, but things did not go that way and I am not going to railroad them there now.

So, how to reward some item(s) in addition to the milestone level up they are getting, when the enemy in an animal with no gear to drop and the characters are fighting it basically next to the inn they have been staying all this time?

Number of options:
  • The wolf imparts some kind of lingering power that a character(s) can absorb. It can impart an ability or trait the wolf has or just enhance one of their current abilities.
  • The wolf curses them with their last breath, inflicting them with a malady that also gives mechanical benefits. The party can them choose to look for ways to cure them or decide to keep it.
  • The innkeeper or a townsperson gives them a family heirloom that they have held for generations. This would be a typical magical item or if you want something unique and special.
  • The townspeople pool their resources to reward them with gold and a festival - less material reward here, but if your players are into RP you can have some good moments here as well.
Those are some immediate rewards I can think off the top of my head. If you feel it isn't enough you can always have travelling wizards/merchants they meet a few sessions down the road talk to them about their great exploits and offer a discount or straight up reward for their service to the town. Similarly the wolf's power/curse can evolve and increase/decrease in effects as you see fit.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty low level to start getting magic items beyond basic potions. If you do provide magic effects you'll want to make sure it doesn't throw the game balance out of whack.

One option could be to have the basic rewards from the villagers but if the players examine the wolf's corpse it leads to discovering some sort of gland or substance that was causing it to get big and nasty. At that point you have a few options like letting the players brew potions from it (or have an NPC handy if there are no wilderness/scholarly characters in the party). This allows you to play with effects like, say, you have a potion of strength that is way more powerful than normal but leaves the user exhausted afterward.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
That's a pretty low level to start getting magic items beyond basic potions. If you do provide magic effects you'll want to make sure it doesn't throw the game balance out of whack.

One option could be to have the basic rewards from the villagers but if the players examine the wolf's corpse it leads to discovering some sort of gland or substance that was causing it to get big and nasty. At that point you have a few options like letting the players brew potions from it (or have an NPC handy if there are no wilderness/scholarly characters in the party). This allows you to play with effects like, say, you have a potion of strength that is way more powerful than normal but leaves the user exhausted afterward.

Yeah, I need to keep the reward(s) level appropriate, agreed. One thing to note is that we are using the "gritty realism" rules from Dungeon Master's guide and it has really slowed down the pace of the game (we like it this way). It is also a "dangerous setting" so, they are fighting challenging foes on a normal basis. Combat is a bit more rare, but dangerous. For example we are nine sessions in and there have been three combat encounters so far. In our session zero I made a promise to keep things interesting to the spell caster types too, even if the long rest is usually reserved to either a failed or successful adventure. So I need to be a bit more lenient in giving them magical stuff as rewards.

I do like the gland and the potion idea, so this lead me to thinking maybe they could brew something like a "mana potion". This would fit the reason why the wolf was big and nasty quite well as the reason is some loose magical energies the party is about to find the reason of (if they head that way).

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yeah. Being able to brew spell slot restoring potions from monsters in that case makes a lot of sense. Long rest casters need something to help do more with long rests so infrequent.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely gives a neat feel to a game. I did something similar in a campaign with some of Zee Bashews's recommendations on making d&d monsters closer to the things from the Witcher series.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I started an AD&D 2nd Edition campaign with my group. It was supposed to be an absurdist side item when the main DM wanted a night off, but he gave up on his campaign entirely (nothing dramatic, just didn't know where to go with it) so it's now inexplicably the main event.

Oops.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know a good resource for finding online groups? I've been DMing PBTA stuff for the past year+ for my group of friends, but I've never actually played a PBTA game before and with all this extra Covid free time, I've been getting the itch to. I looked on the LFG subreddit and it seems like there's a pretty limited selection there. There's some PBTA stuff, but most people are in there for D&D and other more traditional systems.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody know a good resource for finding online groups? I've been DMing PBTA stuff for the past year+ for my group of friends, but I've never actually played a PBTA game before and with all this extra Covid free time, I've been getting the itch to. I looked on the LFG subreddit and it seems like there's a pretty limited selection there. There's some PBTA stuff, but most people are in there for D&D and other more traditional systems.

D&D 5e and 3.5/Pathfinder tend to dominate no matter where you look. But you could try Roll20 dot net. Last I checked there was forums and an LFG tool on that site. It *should* also have the templates for PbtA games.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
So I ran my first online game on Sunday, just using Hangouts, and it was ok. Tough to manage and we burned through my content quicker than expected and we accidentally went 4 hours without a really proper break.

I would do it again like that, but I'm interested in advice regarding software. Obviously there's Roll20 but having had no experience I'd be appreciative of any advice on how it is, getting started, etc (or any other programs people might use)

Theatre of the mind + maps sent via messages are ok, but I felt a little out of control of the tempo and wondering how I might remedy that

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
So I ran my first online game on Sunday, just using Hangouts, and it was ok. Tough to manage and we burned through my content quicker than expected and we accidentally went 4 hours without a really proper break.

I would do it again like that, but I'm interested in advice regarding software. Obviously there's Roll20 but having had no experience I'd be appreciative of any advice on how it is, getting started, etc (or any other programs people might use)

Theatre of the mind + maps sent via messages are ok, but I felt a little out of control of the tempo and wondering how I might remedy that
I did our first through Zoom and Roll20 last night. We haven't played in like 2 weeks and people were getting antsy. I didn't want to run my regular campaign though, because we do so much roleplaying and I feel like it relies heavily on the physical nature of being in the same room. So, I did a slightly more combat-focused one-shot. Ironically, I found Roll20 way more tedious to get setup with the maps and whatnot than if I had just written a bunch of material and done theatre of the mind. That said, the players really enjoyed the map with the fog of war, so it was probably worth it.

I could describe what I went through, but it might just be easier to show you? Let me know if you want a rundown and we can do something over Zoom.

Similarly, I also found myself awkwardly prompting the group a lot more than I'm used to. Normally they would just go off on their own. I'm hoping that in a few sessions that should hopefully improve as people get more comfortable with the virtual setup.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I did our first through Zoom and Roll20 last night. We haven't played in like 2 weeks and people were getting antsy. I didn't want to run my regular campaign though, because we do so much roleplaying and I feel like it relies heavily on the physical nature of being in the same room. So, I did a slightly more combat-focused one-shot. Ironically, I found Roll20 way more tedious to get setup with the maps and whatnot than if I had just written a bunch of material and done theatre of the mind. That said, the players really enjoyed the map with the fog of war, so it was probably worth it.

I could describe what I went through, but it might just be easier to show you? Let me know if you want a rundown and we can do something over Zoom.

Similarly, I also found myself awkwardly prompting the group a lot more than I'm used to. Normally they would just go off on their own. I'm hoping that in a few sessions that should hopefully improve as people get more comfortable with the virtual setup.

Could I join in on that? I was running Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. I miss it already.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I'm really starting to think Discord with the amazing Avrae bot plus maybe zoom for video/audio is he best solution as we play theater of the mind and not minis.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Of course! It won't be elaborate, but it should help get you going.

I'm really starting to think Discord with the amazing Avrae bot plus maybe zoom for video/audio is he best solution as we play theater of the mind and not minis.

How is Avrae? I own all content on D&D Beyond which is why I'm not really interested in Roll20 as I do not want to rebuy content. I do want to use maps somehow but I have no experience with Roll20.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
How is Avrae? I own all content on D&D Beyond which is why I'm not really interested in Roll20 as I do not want to rebuy content. I do want to use maps somehow but I have no experience with Roll20.
Avrae is really nice, Especially if you use DnDBeyond. You can connect your character sheets for each person, and then they can just have the bot roll checks with basic commands - like "!check perception" will roll a perception check and add in the modifier, and the combat tracking/rolling is nice too. You can also get info on most spells, abilities, etc. but it's missing some of the same things roll20 is (a few spells mainly) because of licensing.

If you have the content bought in DnDBeyond, then you might just check out roll20 for setting up combat maps, and use Avrae/Discord for everything else.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. I just had my players roll dice, heh. I don't know that I'd ever really want to bother with Avrae. Neat, though!

OmegaDragon

Oct 27, 2017
I just started with VTTs. Played once very briefly as a player and ran a test session as a DM. My brief impressions, I play only 5E DnD.

Roll20:
This one I actually played in (both as player and GM). I basically see this as a blank battlemat. You can draw on it both as a GM and a player on a top layer. The GM can change the bottom layers, for example if you want to have a background other that white or have a predrawn map.
I think I works quite well for simple (combat) maps that you make quickly. The fact that players can draw on it helps a lot for AOE spell/effects that linger. I haven't figured out how to properly import premade battlemats. For my test session I though I could use a digital map from DnDbeyond easily. That did not work, I couldn't align the grid of the digital mat with the grid of Roll20. So I had to draw it by hand, which was kind of a pain in the ass. You can use fog of war to reveal parts of the map.
For dice rolls, you can automate a lot of it. It takes work to set it up though. You have to make a Character in the Journal page, then fill in the character sheet. For DnD it has a character builder that works well. It automatically calculates your bonuses based on stats + profiency. Once filled in, you can click on a skill/attack/etc and Roll20 makes the appropriate roll. Just You can also create 'character' for enemies. If those monsters are from the SRD, you can drag and drow the monsters stats from the ingame compendium.
Once you made a Character entry, you can also couple it to a token on the mat. This way a player can only move his own token. If you don't couple a Character to a token, you need to find the token each time you switch to a new map. You can also give the token the values of important attributes, such as HP.

Conclusion: See this as a battlemat. It's simple, nothing fancy. The fact that players can draw on it is great for the tactical combat aspect of DnD. I haven't been able to get fancy maps to work properly. You can automate a lot of stuff when you set up the characters (dont do this ingame). Monsters from the SRD are easier, you can drag and drop. Also lightweight.

Astral:
I have only tested this myself, not used it in an actual session. There is a lot of good stuff here.
It has a great map making tool. There are a lot of presets with similar style that you can drag and drop to make a nice looking map. For example you click on the desert preset and it gives you a sand background, cacti, oasis. You can than drag/drop whatever you want and change whatever you want to have in the front (think photoshop layers). Artstyle looks nice and is consistent.
Tokens look a lot better than Roll20. Each token automatically has an action bar with short cuts to different rolls (which you can customise). It automatically shows HP. I haven't tried changing the stats, so I dont know how well it works.
It has dynamic lighting that looks neat (paid feature in Roll20. Haven't used it in a selfmade map). You can also change time of day and weather effects. It also has some 3D effects. However it did not run smoothly on my end with those effects on (10 y old gaming PC).
My major criticism: You can't easily draw on the map and only the GM can change anything. I have no idea how to visualise linger AOE effects properly. Since I playing like those in DnD, I won't be using Astral.

Conclusion: If you want a map to visualise the situation, definitely consider using Astral. Nice visuals. Great mapmaking tool that is easier to use than Roll20s imo. Neat effects built into it. The automated game features look good. Performance was iffy on my end. If you are like me and like to use gridbased spell effects, I dont recommend it sadly.

In general:
Using the simple ingame dice rollers can slow the game down. I feel like having them roll in person and give me the result is faster (unless they are bad at arithmetic). The one click rollers are also quick, but have to be setup.

There's Beyond20. I haven't used it, but it can send your DnD Beyond characters info to the Roll20 dice roller. Making a roll should be as simple a clicking on the relevant skill/attack in DnDbeyond and it works with monsters.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to help any of you guys that have questions about Roll20 - pretty much all my TTRPG experience has been on that platform.

If you don't want to use Roll20 you can also screenshare and use the maps provided on DNDBeyond or something like that. You won't be able to hide the map though, which is where VTT programs come in handy.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Happy to help any of you guys that have questions about Roll20 - pretty much all my TTRPG experience has been on that platform.

If you don't want to use Roll20 you can also screenshare and use the maps provided on DNDBeyond or something like that. You won't be able to hide the map though, which is where VTT programs come in handy.

Awesome, I just want it for map use. Avrae seems easy enough. Just need to find sometime to get started.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Avrae is really nice, Especially if you use DnDBeyond. You can connect your character sheets for each person, and then they can just have the bot roll checks with basic commands - like "!check perception" will roll a perception check and add in the modifier, and the combat tracking/rolling is nice too. You can also get info on most spells, abilities, etc. but it's missing some of the same things roll20 is (a few spells mainly) because of licensing.

If you have the content bought in DnDBeyond, then you might just check out roll20 for setting up combat maps, and use Avrae/Discord for everything else.
Avrae will soon have full DnDByond connect Bringing in your purchases. They are pushing the already announced project up because of the stay at home orders.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
For those who use Roll20, do you find it easier to move along a single large map for a dungeon or to splice it up into smaller ones?

Several smaller ones. Tablets and lower spec PCs can really struggle with larger maps using a lot of tokens (especially with lightning options.)

Remember that as a GM, you can have several instances of Roll20 open at the same time, which sometimes helps when juggling floorplans.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
So Adam Koebel's campaign for Dungeon World has been cancelled because his players quit after he DM'd a rape scene.

Here's a video, the scene starts earlier but you can see the players really hating it.

Wow. That's... awful. I watch a lot of Adam's stuff (mostly his Roll20 presents series) and I can't even finish the clip.

It's shocking to see Adam play out a scene like this as I was always under the impression he distinctly understood what it meant for boundaries, X-cards and lines and veils. Out of all the GMs I watch, he was perhaps the biggest one that actively talked about it, both in his own RPG design and in his GM Prep streams. To see it so willfully ignored is extremely disappointing and sad.

edit: The player controlling the character involved in the assault has posted a video

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
So Adam Koebel's campaign for Dungeon World has been cancelled because his players quit after he DM'd a rape scene.

Here's a video, the scene starts earlier but you can see the players really hating it.

WHAT THE FUCK WHY WOULD YOU MAKE PEOPLE ROLEPLAY A RAPE SCENE WITHOUT EXPLICITLY MAKING SURE EVERYONE IS OKAY WITH IT FIRST.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Man, I love Dungeon World and Koebel is one of the creators who informed my own views on making the table safer for everyone. To see him fail so spectacular as a DM and human being (in both the scene and its aftermath) is demoralizing.

Read the room, you muppet.

Oct 27, 2017
I moved my face to face 4e DND game to Roll20.net. It's a bit of a learning curve and more prep than I'd like, but once you have a dungeon/counters up and running it works well. We'; ve had more trouble getting a video working for everyone. Roll20's built in chat/dice roller works great, my non techy players picked that up real quick. They started recording their Hitpoint on their counter. There is a turn trackers as well that fairly simple. I much prefer face to face but this will do during our lockdown.

They are currently battling three wraiths in a teleportation room. We paused mid battle, and Roll20 keeps everything as it was. Decent platform but could use more interface love on importing maps and resizing them etc. The system for aligning to a grid works decently enough.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway, I hope he reflects and comes back stronger for it.
I hope, but I'm not optimistic. It's all cancel culture these days, so SJWs are going to measure each other by how high they can build the wall between Koebel and his redemption in a sort of sadistic woke-waving contest. After something as public and embarrassing as this, dude could cure cancer while living under a bridge and it wouldn't be enough. My biggest concern is that he'll go full MRA because that's the only community left where he'll find people who'll accept him. Which would suit cancel culture just fine, because that allows them to go, "I told you so." A worldview that rejects redemption requires constant proof that people can't be redeemed.

None of this is to say the backlash wasn't justified -- it was -- but where we go from here is the tricky part, and most people will just not want to deal with that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I hope, but I'm not optimistic. It's all cancel culture these days, so SJWs are going to measure each other by how high they can build the wall between Koebel and his redemption in a sort of sadistic woke-waving contest. After something as public and embarrassing as this, dude could cure cancer while living under a bridge and it wouldn't be enough. My biggest concern is that he'll go full MRA because that's the only community left where he'll find people who'll accept him. Which would suit cancel culture just fine, because that allows them to go, "I told you so." A worldview that rejects redemption requires constant proof that people can't be redeemed.

None of this is to say the backlash wasn't justified -- it was -- but where we go from here is the tricky part, and most people will just not want to deal with that.
I agree with this whole post, but wow the bolded is so true.

Also, high everyone! My friends and I got into TTRPGs (although specifically D&D) through Critical Role. I'm just here to lurk and learn as we are all figuring out how to DM and play.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

Uh maybe it's better to wait on fretting over people accepting someone's redemption until they actually better themself first.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Yeah, it's tragic. On a meta level, this hypocrisy also emboldens the anti-SJW/PC crowd and a lot of people questioning the need for safe space measures at the gaming table if even one of the most vocal proponents can't help himself going over the line.

Anyway, I hope he reflects and comes back stronger for it.
The way he was so pleased with himself and laughing was the creepiest thing I've witnessed.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
About to start a Descent Into Avernus campaign via Discord with some friends. I've never played online before, so any tip/tool suggestions are welcome, especially in regard to Discord. Right now we are just planning to use a simple dice rolling app and "theatre of the mind" everything else.

... i am also the party's only support role. I have a feeling Ima have my hands full.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
About to start a Descent Into Avernus campaign via Discord with some friends. I've never played online before, so any tip/tool suggestions are welcome, especially in regard to Discord. Right now we are just planning to use a simple dice rolling app and "theatre of the mind" everything else.

... i am also the party's only support role. I have a feeling Ima have my hands full.

If you typically play TotM already in person then it shouldn't be too much of an issue - there are different discord bots you can set up with full character sheets if you want that might speed things up, but I only ever use discord for voice/out of game chat. DiA is pretty punishing though, especially the early Baldur's Gate part.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
We typically play 5e, but I wanted to run my players through a sci-fi one shot to mix it up. We will also have a player join us who has not played before. I already have the setting and scenario figured out, I just need a system to facilitate characters, abilities, etc. How hard would it be to come up with a handful of pre-generated 5e characters for my players where we just modify the flavor to make it more sci-fi (I.e. the wizard has a magic space watch instead of a magic wand)? Or would I be better off using another system entirely? Since there won't be leveling or multiple days, it would be great if I could just hand my players simplified pre generated characters at the start.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
We typically play 5e, but I wanted to run my players through a sci-fi one shot to mix it up. We will also have a player join us who has not played before. I already have the setting and scenario figured out, I just need a system to facilitate characters, abilities, etc. How hard would it be to come up with a handful of pre-generated 5e characters for my players where we just modify the flavor to make it more sci-fi (I.e. the wizard has a magic space watch instead of a magic wand)? Or would I be better off using another system entirely? Since there won't be leveling or multiple days, it would be great if I could just hand my players simplified pre generated characters at the start.
Maybe look into Esper Genesis. It's an amazing 5E based SciFi port.

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to get back into rpgs. I used to play a long time ago back when it was AD&D 2nd edition, palladium books were starting to get popular, and white wolf vampire stuff hadn't come on the scene yet. My daughter is showing some interest in dungeon crawling using miniatures. Is D&D 5e or Pathfinder 2e better to get into?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to get back into rpgs. I used to play a long time ago back when it was AD&D 2nd edition, palladium books were starting to get popular, and white wolf vampire stuff hadn't come on the scene yet. My daughter is showing some interest in dungeon crawling using miniatures. Is D&D 5e or Pathfinder 2e better to get into?

Heavy 5E bias but I would suggest 5E, especially if you're introducing a child to the game. Much simpler character creation and just set up and go without worrying about modifiers coming at you from 5 different places. If you really miss the customisability you can make the jump to PF1 or 2E and see how you like it, but I would give 5E a try first.

edit:

Roll20 has suspended both their Roll20 Presents shows, which were DMed by Adam Koebel.

Also Adam's partner, Bluejay has been informed she will not be returning when the series comes back in May.

So it's pretty clear they're looking for a new DM and also throwing some of the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
5e is a lot easier to get into. It does a lot of things to make everything easier to keep track of. For example, instead of a bunch of different modifiers to rolls that may or may not stack with each other, you have advantage and disadvantage (roll 2 d20s and take the higher or lower one).

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
Heavy 5E bias but I would suggest 5E, especially if you're introducing a child to the game. Much simpler character creation and just set up and go without worrying about modifiers coming at you from 5 different places. If you really miss the customisability you can make the jump to PF1 or 2E and see how you like it, but I would give 5E a try first.

5e is a lot easier to get into. It does a lot of things to make everything easier to keep track of. For example, instead of a bunch of different modifiers to rolls that may or may not stack with each other, you have advantage and disadvantage (roll 2 d20s and take the higher or lower one).

thanks to both. I will give 5e a try.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good "AI" engines, be it tables, cards, an app, for running an extra PC? Here's my situation. I have an 18yo, a 13yo, a 3yo, and my wife. While the 3yo has a great imagination and will want to sit at the table with us, and has already said he, "wants to be a guy with a big sword raaaahhhh!" then proceeding to wield a paper towel tube as a weapon to cut down his dinosaur fighters, obviously he can't actually grasp every concept and situation enough to play his character effectively. And sometimes he'll be asleep, etc. But he'll want a character sheet and dice for the times he's at the table.

I'd prefer not to have what is essentially a DM run PC, because those are never great, nor do I want to burden any of the others with playing two characters, as that takes away their ability to get entirely into their own. So I'm looking for a solution that's kind of a middle ground. Maybe I'll just have to make one myself?