• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
4e isn't well liked there about BUT it has some of the best DMGs for running dnd of any edition. And I've ran them all.. most of it is system neutral. Robin laws wrote a lot of it.

I'll also give a shout out to the AngryGM blog/articles which have really helped me re-examine how I run my game, create encounters, handle a lot of stuff in and out of game.

Quite revelatory to me

(However, if he is a POS or is any way associated with shitty beliefs or actions I won't promote him - I've not looked into it so if someone knows better let me know)
Unfortunately there seems to be quite a few alt right/far right shit heads in the rpg web space . It's best not to dig to deep,. OSR is rife with it sadly.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Unfortunately there seems to be quite a few alt right/far right shit heads in the rpg web space . It's best not to dig to deep,. OSR is rife with it sadly.

I'd kind of figured, and any nerd media putting out an "angry" persona often needs to work doubly hard for me to think they aren't just a shitty person. That goes for anyone like that OSR stuff where there is an attempt to preserve am older way of doing things, mostly in reaction to the hobby being more open and inclusive, it tends to raise eyebrows to me

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Is this in reference to something?
Just that he is a self-confessed asshole/has an angry persona, is in his 40s-50s (I think) and readily pokes fun at a number of people in his blogs and that often adds up to potentially having questionable views/actions in the nerd space. I haven't seen anything, but I don't go looking, and I don't watch any of his videos or follow him on social medias etc.

I was just putting in that note just in case he is a known problem but I hadn't seen

I think his blogs/articles are fantastic in terms of DM advice, but I wouldn't want to promote a POS unknowingly

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.. Now saying that these guys do have some good ideas on how to run games and some good insights on the rules themselves, especial the older stuff.

There was a good blog i found on how to run AD&D 1e BTB and it explained the arcane and amazing AD&D 1e initiative combat system. I'm currently converting the system for my 4e game - segments and weapon speed factor et al., the results should be an abomination of epic proportions. <evil laugh>

Another place I dig around in is Greyhawk Grognyard, mostly for some stuff on the old Gygax Greyhawk modules - I'm obsessed with running Temple of Elemental Evil in all its glory. But out of the blue he posts a Blue Lives Matter shit, I notice some of his other conservative shite peppered in his blogs ( SWJ this, blah blah), definitely a put off. I kind of expect it with a lot of older Americans though.

Another headcase is RPGPundit. He runs a toxic RPG forum dedicated to freezepeaches. Dear Jebus they are so full of themselves. SWJ blah blah Swine blah blah, PC gone mad... I recognise most of the dreggs that go there from other RPG sites they were eventually banned from. It really is a worst of the worst.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that these kinds of disclaimers are necessary in the gaming world, but I suppose back in the day the skeletons stayed in the closet.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that these kinds of disclaimers are necessary in the gaming world, but I suppose back in the day the skeletons stayed in the closet.
Back in the day there were World War II miniature games where the Nazi units had special bases and tokens that distinguished them from everything else in the game while also doing gymnastics to avoid acknowledging them being Nazis because they're really just appreciating historical German tanks and tactics, honest.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I got a question for more experienced DMs of 5e DnD.

Spell ingredients. I see a lot of spells need all kinds of ingredients, some very valuable, like gems etc. I'm looking for a smart way to let the players gain access to these without it necessarily being buying from a magic shop. Loot from quests etc. is the obvious answer, but how much and how often?

Others have already added in most of the good advice, but I'd also note that unless you're very familiar with all the spells that require expensive material components to just allow them to be purchased within a short time frame. Going on a side quest for a diamond or a rare material is fun for the first time but if you had to do that every time you wanted to cast a Heroes' Feast or Revivify it would get tedious really fast.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently converting the system for my 4e game
I'm probably the biggest 4e stan on this forum. It remains my favorite, and imo most underappreciated, system.

I know gaming gets a lot of flak because it's becoming more mainstream, but I doubt there's a community out there without shitheads. 100% still worth it to call them out, but I wouldn't feel any worse about it than any other community.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably the biggest 4e stan on this forum. It remains my favorite, and imo most underappreciated, system.

Yup, very underappreciated. It had a bad marketing at the start that annoyed people. And the presentation was poor on some of the elements. But to me it was getting back to its roots. Wargaming was always at the heart of DND since 0e.

B/X is my other favourite.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I am going to be running Vampire the Masquerade tomorrow, I am using The Sacrifice, a published adventure featured in Chicago by Night 5th edition. So far I am loving VTM 5th edition and hope they make 5th editions of the other lines. Only problem is there has been some hostility anytime I go to the reddit discord because 5e is OFFICIALLY BAD according to TRUE FANS. What have other folks' experiences been of the game? I find the new rules to be a lot easier to run and manage, much like Chronicles of Darkness. What do you think?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to be running Vampire the Masquerade tomorrow, I am using The Sacrifice, a published adventure featured in Chicago by Night 5th edition. So far I am loving VTM 5th edition and hope they make 5th editions of the other lines. Only problem is there has been some hostility anytime I go to the reddit discord because 5e is OFFICIALLY BAD according to TRUE FANS. What have other folks' experiences been of the game? I find the new rules to be a lot easier to run and manage, much like Chronicles of Darkness. What do you think?

Those "TRUE FANS" are probably alt-right folks angry about the game deliberately telling them they aren't welcome and to go somewhere else.

Oct 27, 2017

Ken Hite was the lead designer and he is pretty good. He's involved with Trail of Cthulhu and the Gumshoe system with Robin Laws.

Well this game seemed to do the impossible piss off both lefties/liberals and the alt-right. So much so that WhiteWolf had to release a video asking Neo-Nazis/white supremists not to buy it. I think some of the language in it upset some people. I dunno I haven't read it and I didnt follow it all at the time.

If you are enjoying it then ignore it all.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
ran my first Alien RPG session, it was okay but I feel less control when it is not my storyline. I ran a one-shot story but I feel like I need it memorized to really do it justice.

Anyone else feel like that with one shots?

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
ran my first Alien RPG session, it was okay but I feel less control when it is not my storyline. I ran a one-shot story but I feel like I need it memorized to really do it justice.

Anyone else feel like that with one shots?
i feel like that with pre-written adventures in general. just not a fan of them. 90% of the time, players will end up straying from the "critical path" anyway and so either way I'm going to have to come up with original stuff, except now I'm constantly stressing about whether or not something I made up or adjusted to compensate for the players doing their own thing is going to end up contradicting some key piece of story information or something somewhere later down the line.

much easier to make everything up yourself

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
For one shots I tend to make a rail and put the players on it to start, usually I give them a good reason to stay on it.

I like a sandbox game in a Homebrew setting for anything longer. Building a narrative with what the players give you takes a lot less work and you usually end up with more interesting plots as long as you make sure folks generally stick together.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Our group kinda has a pact that if we are playing a prewritten we will try to adhere to the main story path.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
How are you guys going about when not all players can make it to a session?

Last night 3/4 players could make it and all had the itch to RP.

We had a small session that chronologically took place the night before. The bard, whose player was absent, was playing at the tavern they were staying and the other characters sat down to make plans for their next moves. The players handled it very well, telling about what they were planning to do first thing in the morning (things already played through in the session before). They had a good chance to develop their characters as it is still early in the campaign and they had some good discussion IC about what they should do next. The night ended in a tavern brawl, which in turn helped me to show them a bit of world building as the local huntsmen really seemed to enjoy it. It was safe because they were going to sleep the night at that tavern anyway so I told them to not worry too much about HP etc.

I also managed to sneak in some glues about what's going on and they got a small rewarding item too. Nothing major as not to break the timeline, but something the character realistically might not have discussed about first thing the next morning. Next session will hopefully have full 4/4 and they can continue where they were at the story.

I'm thinking this was a good practice and we might continue these flashback sessions every now and then if we are missing one player. I also have some one offs planned for similar situations, that open up the world and it's history a bit (it's a home brew).

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

We had a small session that chronologically took place the night before. The bard, whose player was absent, was playing at the tavern they were staying and the other characters sat down to make plans for their next moves. The players handled it very well, telling about what they were planning to do first thing in the morning (things already played through in the session before). They had a good chance to develop their characters as it is still early in the campaign and they had some good discussion IC about what they should do next. The night ended in a tavern brawl, which in turn helped me to show them a bit of world building as the local huntsmen really seemed to enjoy it. It was safe because they were going to sleep the night at that tavern anyway so I told them to not worry too much about HP etc.

I also managed to sneak in some glues about what's going on and they got a small rewarding item too. Nothing major as not to break the timeline, but something the character realistically might not have discussed about first thing the next morning. Next session will hopefully have full 4/4 and they can continue where they were at the story.

I'm thinking this was a good practice and we might continue these flashback sessions every now and then if we are missing one player. I also have some one offs planned for similar situations, that open up the world and it's history a bit (it's a home brew).

That's pretty cool! I have mostly smaller groups (3 players) so if one misses we tend to just call it for the week. Thankfully we've had a pretty good attendance rate so we haven't missed much.

In bigger groups we would just continue the story as is -- I would only consider something like a pause in the narrative if its a critical fight that's been building up for a while, but then we might just opt to skip the week rather than play.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Another option that's a slight twist on what you're currently doing would be flashback sessions that delve into character backstories. It can help connect the player to their own backstory while informing the other players (not characters) of key formative moments of their party. This is, admittedly, hit or miss depending on the way your players roleplay as well as how in depth your players developed their backstory (as in.. whether that actually were backstories to begin with).

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty cool! I have mostly smaller groups (3 players) so if one misses we tend to just call it for the week. Thankfully we've had a pretty good attendance rate so we haven't missed much.

In bigger groups we would just continue the story as is -- I would only consider something like a pause in the narrative if its a critical fight that's been building up for a while, but then we might just opt to skip the week rather than play.

Yeah. I feel like with only four players, if one misses, we might play but not continue the main story. If we had a bigger group we might do it differently, but for a small intimate group it feels like I don't want anyone the miss the main story beats. Of course if the characters are in a point where going ahead with the main continuity would not hurt much (like spending off time in a big city, doing whatever) I could let them continue.

Another option that's a slight twist on what you're currently doing would be flashback sessions that delve into character backstories. It can help connect the player to their own backstory while informing the other players (not characters) of key formative moments of their party. This is, admittedly, hit or miss depending on the way your players roleplay as well as how in depth your players developed their backstory (as in.. whether that actually were backstories to begin with).

I like this! It feels like two of the players are already deep in their characters (the bard guy is writing ballads on his spare time and so on), and two could perhaps use some gentle help from the DM to get them out of their shells.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I have a pretty low narrative/backstory RP group so we tend to just keep playing with someone taking over if there is a fight.

I usually have 5-6 in my group (players) so I can easily be missing 1 and still continue. If we are missing 2-3 I either try and reschedule or figure out a one shot to tie us over

I'm trying to play a low backstory, high front story, young adventurers game so can't really do flashbacks. They do all however have a second character sitting on the sidelines so I'll probably dip into a session with those characters. We play weekly though so it's usually easier if we reschedule

Dunsparcer

Feb 28, 2019
It seems like every time we have a missing player in my group, I look hopefully to each one and say "Does anyone feel up to handling this character this week?"

Then they all shake their heads and I look back to the computer and open my 10th tab for the session.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
StaffyManasse that's a pretty cool idea that I might have to lift.

Our games are pretty RP heavy, so I think it would fit in quite well. Whenever someone can't make it, we've always done one of three things:
  1. Write the person out temporarily. This has been surprisingly easy to do, but it's mostly because the campaign spends a lot of time focused in a single urban centre (think Waterdeep). If something comes up during the session and they use Sending to contact, I'll usually just RP that character for the time being and fill them in on that bit. For the rest of it, I just let the players roleplay as their characters telling the other character what they missed when that player comes back, which actually makes for some fun little RP moments.
  2. Just have someone run their character and fill the missing player in later. This is generally clunkier and we've actually had to retcon things because stuff happened that the character would in no way allow. I've also done things where we've had little flashbacks to fill in what was missed.
  3. The narrative is just too critical and we have to cancel.
With the exception of one player, most people don't miss. While I never wanted that player to leave, they did eventually have to on their own accord because personal things kept coming up and they knew they couldn't commit. The interesting thing is that one of the costs of them not being around as much was that they were never as engaged as the others. They constantly had to be brought up to speed on things, missed out on inside jokes, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It seems like every time we have a missing player in my group, I look hopefully to each one and say "Does anyone feel up to handling this character this week?"

Then they all shake their heads and I look back to the computer and open my 10th tab for the session.
That sucks, I mean I usually handle the narrative burden for that character (making decisions on whether the RP they're in holds up to how the character would act) but my lot are usually ok running them through combat as that would be unfair for me as I'd have to use them in spite of knowing what I know about the combat encounter

OmegaDragon

Oct 27, 2017
I play in several groups. When someone can't make it, we usually just continue the story without that player being present. The missing players character usually remains with the group, but becomes a background character. During combat, the DM or another player will take over.

As a DM (4 players), it sucks not having the full group. But my group meets maybe once a month, so I'd rather play. The missing PC will usually not add much, unless the other players ask if the PC could do something or it would be really out of character to not do anything. I'll ask if another player wants to take over a character for combat, otherwise I'll play the most simple version of the character.
If the same player has to miss multiple sessions in row, I'll ask to reschedule.

If that's really not an option due to narrative, we'll reschedule. In another group we would start with the main story arc, but one of the players couldn't make it for a couple of sessions. The DM then created a sidequest to introduce the strange land we wandered into.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Having just started a new campaign one of my players has been unavailable for the first 3 weeks so his character will be arriving in next week. I like to give them some info the others won't have to help me sell the narrative/as a way of giving new information to the players I e not yet covered.

I've been holding off on the main hook/call to action so it will be nice to finally kick it off when he's back

Oct 27, 2017
We have a 3-man rule. If 3 people show up we play. The other PCs are there in the group and are ran by others at the table for combat but not really RP. Works well.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Weeeeeep I TPKed one of my Rise of the Runelords groups at the end of book 2. Now all i have done is increase the amount of prep work i have to do for like the next month.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Was it a player error, your miscalculation, or just bad luck?

I'm always interested about TPKs as I've not had one yet (only 2yrs GMing)

I had a near-TPK (2 players died, 1 escaped) in one of my first campaigns that was homebrewed. It felt fucking awful and kind of killed the momentum of the game which inevitably just fizzled out after I tried introducing a few new things.

They were in a crypt exploring and I guess I must have done a poor job of describing what they saw, but I had placed a Bone Naga in one of the corridors and had one of the players catch a tiny glimpse of it. They followed it into a chamber where it lay on a small pile of miscellaneous treasure/items along with its crew of Kuo-toa worshippers.

I had planned for this creature to offer some kind of side-quest to the plot but they just attacked it straight up. They were quickly overwhelmed and the warlock misty stepped out and ran away.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I had a near-TPK (2 players died, 1 escaped) in one of my first campaigns that was homebrewed. It felt fucking awful and kind of killed the momentum of the game which inevitably just fizzled out after I tried introducing a few new things.

They were in a crypt exploring and I guess I must have done a poor job of describing what they saw, but I had placed a Bone Naga in one of the corridors and had one of the players catch a tiny glimpse of it. They followed it into a chamber where it lay on a small pile of miscellaneous treasure/items along with its crew of Kuo-toa worshippers.

I had planned for this creature to offer some kind of side-quest to the plot but they just attacked it straight up. They were quickly overwhelmed and the warlock misty stepped out and ran away.
Haha, I love it when a player just nopes out.

I feel like I've somewhat trained my lot to fight everything so I'm trying to break that as they narrowly escaped a fight with an adult gold dragon last campaign.

My fear is that if/when it happens it will feel unearned, like it was my mistake rather than theirs. It's a tough line to walk

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I started DM'ing on a homebrew setting this year and in the first combat encounter my first attack roll almost killed one PC. Then my 2nd attack roll was a nat 20 against another PC...good thing the bard had cast a debuff on the monster and I had disadvantage so I rerolled that one and the attack missed.

It's supposed to be a "gritty and dangerous" setting so I guess it set the stage well in the end.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I've somewhat trained my lot to fight everything so I'm trying to break that as they narrowly escaped a fight with an adult gold dragon last campaign.

My fear is that if/when it happens it will feel unearned, like it was my mistake rather than theirs. It's a tough line to walk
The way I approach it is to leave no room for doubt that the fight is unwinnable. You didn't say what level they are but it's likely a mere adult dragon probably wasn't obvious enough. (Wait, why were they fighting gold dragon?)

It's easier if this expectation is set early on, of course. Less ambiguity when you've got 1st-levels encountering CR10 baddies. And there's a danger that a "Chaotic Neutral" loonie jackass will try to get everyone killed for personal amusement ("I'm just role-playing my character!"), but that's a problem either way.

TL,DR; players aren't the sort to take in subtle clues. You need to whack them with a 100-megaton clue bat.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I love it when a player just nopes out.

Yeah it's something I've really struggled with for the rest of my time as a DM, but sometimes the dice fall where they may. I typically always give my party an 'escape hatch' of sorts at least once if they find themselves hugely outmatched or just happen to roll really badly for a round or two.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
The way I approach it is to leave no room for doubt that the fight is unwinnable. You didn't say what level they are but it's likely a mere adult dragon probably wasn't obvious enough. (Wait, why were they fighting gold dragon?)

It's easier if this expectation is set early on, of course. Less ambiguity when you've got 1st-levels encountering CR10 baddies. And there's a danger that a "Chaotic Neutral" loonie jackass will try to get everyone killed for personal amusement ("I'm just role-playing my character!"), but that's a problem either way.

TL,DR; players aren't the sort to take in subtle clues. You need to whack them with a 100-megaton clue bat.
It was 5 level 9s and it was the end of Dragon Heist (the adventure is only 1-5 levels however) it was a situation where a conversation would have been doable but someone kicked off the fight

I beefed up a few of the dragon's skills/stats but generally didn't ultimately super punish them

It's why I'm now home-brewing as too many times have I looked at a set adventure and thought, really? This is how the designer structured this?

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Was it a player error, your miscalculation, or just bad luck?

I'm always interested about TPKs as I've not had one yet (only 2yrs GMing)

Well they probably could have done a few things differently, but the encounter they died at is notoriously difficult. Its a real bump up in terms of what they had faced before.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
*sigh*
I promised myself to cut back on getting tabletop RPG stuff but fuuuuuuuuuuck if this is not incredibly adorable and I kinda, really, want it.

www.kickstarter.com

Dragon Stew: a 5th Edition Cooking Supplemental

A cooking supplemental for 5th Edition with Cooking Classes, Dessert Familiars, Cooking Rules, and a Cooking Trial adventure
Damn.

That led me to this and now I want both.

www.kickstarter.com

The Ultimate Guide to Alchemy, Crafting & Enchanting for 5E

A brand new approach to crafting, and hundreds of new magic items, for the world's greatest roleplaying game!

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Jedi Sentinel I am playing is dying in our next session. It's the last session of the campaign. Takes place on Ossus, which in our game is encircled by a giant defense ring the Empire built, so fml.

And Vader is chasing me. Almost mind-melted me from his goddamn tie fighter (which fucked our normal engines up quite a bit) before our ship hit hyperspace after our pilot's amazing astrogation check. I know he's going to find me on Ossus (if we even reach the surface) and I am going to have to sacrifice myself to help the group get away with a holocron that is more vital to the Rebellion than my life is, because I am the only one who can slow him down at all (we are playing a few years after Order 88.)

Kinda stoked, tbh. I love a good death :)

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Hmm, tough choice. I've been using Ptolus as a base for the capital of my 13th Age game, which works beautifully. Converting 5E to 13th Age is easier than the old version but unsure if I want to double dip at that price point. I'll set a reminder and think about it.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I've got DM's writer's block and could use some feedback on the next adventure of my Eberron campaign.

So we're about to have our second D&D session in this Eberron campaign and I'm a bit stuck on what to write for the next adventure. They are getting close to the climax on the first adventure that I made up and I want whatever The second adventure is to be able to tie into the end. I've placed seeds that there is a larger villain involved in the overarching story of the game, I'm just struggling to find that missing piece that will connect the previous adventure to the next, to the player's personal stories, and will account for all the possible endings of this first adventure.

Here's what I wrote for the first adventure and then I'll follow that with what actually happened in the actual game. During session zero where we created our characters, the players as a group decided that their characters were working for a small newspaper in sharn called The Sharn lamplighter. They liked the idea of being "conspiracy busters."

In my notes for the first game, there were two villains, one of the villains was for this particular adventure, the other villain was for a larger overarching plot that only teased them. The adventure began with a dream where they met this larger villain, the dream took place in a dark and twisted version of a seaside town in Cyre. A dark carnival made up of aberrant monsters from the plane of madness was being led as a parade through the twisted landscape. I use this as an opportunity for a combat tutorial for the new players which was most of the party. This was also a chance for them to roll dice and see the game mechanics without any actual risk.

The carnival will be the main villain of the campaign. Carnival has a double meaning here in that it also means farewell to the flesh, and the carnival is a creation of an ascended cultist of the dragon below, named Harleton ir'Card to reopen Xoriat the realm of madness to destroy time and by extension, the limitations of death. He has a human avatar that still moves in the elite circles of sharn but that's now just a puppet.

This particular vision has been appearing in the minds of various people in Sharn. It's not everybody, it's just a few specific chosen people. Two of the player characters are refugees from Cyre hence why I set the vision there. since they also said that they were interested in finding out what happened to Cyre on the day of mourning, I decided that the carnival had seized the real Siri and the mournland is what is left.

Now for the other villain, the other villain is a group called The Hunt Club. They are a group of four wealthy fail sons who have taken to hunting down in murdering refugees. One of them lures the refugees into being a guard or some other job like that for an excursion into the undercity. It's all a ruse though and they wind up luring them into a dungeon where they murder them for sport. The dungeon I designed has two levels, one is an upper balcony that's protected by grading and has view of the level below. From above the villains let loose dangerous aberrant monsters and watch the monsters kill or maim their targets.

The aberrant monsters were summoned there by the other villain, the lair was once used by Harleton Ir'Card for his practice summoning rituals earlier in his career. And before that it was a library of dark knowledge dating back to a goblin empire that once lived where Sharn is.

The adventurers day began with them in their news office discovering that they were low on cash and they needed the story of the century to really take off as a newspaper. Their office is in the refugee district, and the level above them is a soup kitchen. a volunteer with the soup kitchen came down and asked for help with dealing with the chaos of a much larger crowd than normal.

Where I went wrong here was I didn't expect the players to investigate why there was a larger crowd than normal because I didn't have an actual explanation prepared. It wound up being okay for the most part because I came up with something on the fly. There was a local hate monger named Hatley the dwarf. The other soup kitchen in the district had been vandalized and ransacked by people inspired by his hateful rhetoric. During their time helping out at the soup kitchen they heard about the disappearances of refugees and the lack of work available. There was supposed to be a whole thing where they were going to be looking into various rumors that they could report on and finding rumors about the members of The Hunt Club that were incriminating as well as disappearances in the district but that never wound up happening.

There was a scene where they tracked down Hatley and confronted him. Hatley was just a grifter who sold fake medicine who also got into some profitable hate-mongering and some journalism with the propaganda outlet the voice of Breland. His main issue is that he's an attention seeker and a grifter, and while he did not plan the attack on the other soup kitchen, it was his rhetoric that inspired a crowd to do it themselves.

The story got derailed when one of the players use some overly lethal tactics and dealing with Hatley. She used her dragon breath as a dragonborn and killed some of the commoners in the crowd and barely damaged Hatley himself. This was a new player so, after they got arrested they got released on work release. It was implausible that they could commit murder and still get out of jail but I needed to get the game moving and back on track. It was then they found out that some of the people they help in the kitchen that day had been disappeared themselves.

They shook down some criminal contacts, I had this whole thing where they were going to go to sneak into a party but that didn't happen either. They came up with a better idea of just trying to get disappeared themselves. The killer's M.O. was to solicit people who were unemployed for work, only to lure them into the dungeon. The session ended with them making it into the dungeon. they don't actually know anything about the Hunt Club themselves or the fact that the members of The Hunt Club are sons of wealthy families who will be upset if the players kill them without bringing back proof.

This coming session is going to be them exploring this dungeon, and fighting some aberrations along with the Hunt Club. There will be some complications if the hunt club members are killed without the players knowing who they are and who they just killed. My concern now is if the game runs short and a breeze through this dungeon as to what happens next. What is their next goal? What is their next adventure? I'd like it to tie into the larger plot about Harleton Ir'Card and his goals.

The dungeon itself has some treasure hoards that are mostly books that can be sold to Morgrave University. Where it goes from there depends on what caught the players interest the most. Here are some hooks that I am considering let me know if you can think of any more.

The players may want to continue investigating Hatley the Dwarf and find a way to bring him down.

The players may kill the members of The Hunt Club but not bring sufficient evidence back to justify murdering the sons of wealthy members of Sharn society.

If they breeze through the dungeon, getting out of the dungeon may be complicated and they may have to fight their way through some of the summoned monsters in the sewers leading out. I'm not going to run this unless the session runs short though.

One of the serial killing failsons is the middle child of the Ir'Tains, this may lead the players to want to investigate the Ir'Tain gala where I might have them meet ir'Card's Avatar. all four of the fail sons have also been having the visions if the players take the time to interrogate any of them before killing them. They also leave evidence behind that suggest that they have been having endless nightmares about the carnival and that this influence their turn to killing people.

I came up with an NPC who works at morgrave University who might be interested and talking with them if they bring back the books. This particular professor who, I named Linus Morfallon, know something about the various gates that have sealed away Xoriat and is an agent of The gatekeepers.

I'm trying to think of other possible outcomes that I need to prepare for. Anyway that's where I'm stuck.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of other possible outcomes that I need to prepare for. Anyway that's where I'm stuck.

Well, you mention The Hunt Club as being something you want to introduce for them to actually go after and that having four targets is enough for a good number of sessions alone. As to how to get them on that track, there is one option that kind of sticks out to me.

You have Hatley the Dwarf as a pawn to use in any way you see fit, and you have the players in a dungeon that they don't know much about. Is there any way that Hatley can tie into the Hunt Club, like, in doing what he did he kind of fucked something up, and therefore he's been put in that dungeon as a mark by the four? It's a clear target the players would be interested in, but if he has been double-crossed by the Hunt Club, he becomes an asset worth keeping alive. I do think that you need to maybe have one of the four Hunt Club members down there hunting Hatley (maybe unbeknownst to the other three) and if he escapes, he has to explain to the other three what happened, which puts them in direct conflict with the players, OR if the players do manage to kill him, it puts the other three in direct conflict with the players. Hatley becomes a good resource for telling them they have to get actual proof on the four (or three.)

Of course, the crux is making sure they just don't kill Hatley.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Hmm, I'll consider that. As it stands now, the four members of the hunt club are the boss at the end of the dungeon once they have taken care of all the traps. Hatley was going to be an annoyance rival during downtime actions that they couldn't just kill without consequences. But I'll consider making them connected. I'll tell you tomorrow how the session actually goes. If they kill any one of the four, there will be a group of wealthy and powerful members of high society who will be upset with them, regardless of whether it is justified or not.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just think there is enough there to draw it out over a few sessions. Figuring out how to take each one down becomes a puzzle, provides interesting possibilities for how to potentially sow distrust between them...there's just a lot of really cool threads that could come out of letting this have room to breathe, while also giving you the chance to figure out how you want to tie things together better.