• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

January Update
3 days ago – Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 01:02:01 AM

Hello backers! It's Stephen from Nightdive with this month's update.

Due to the Holidays this update is coming a bit later than we would like but we've got some exciting things to share so let's get right to it!

First up is a quick video preview we put together showing off the final art. There's some confusion over the temporary art used in the Adventure Alpha video so hopefully this will clear that up!

https://system-shock.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/project_updates#updates

There is a ton more info and artwork at the link above.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Yeah, looks really damn good.

Sorry, I can't really check everything due to being at work but I assume this is a huge ways out right?

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there was something going on that this got shelved? Like business issues or something?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
"Pre-alpha" my ass. That's not what that terms means. It even says the art used is final.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely loving the look of this, very faithful to the original game. Probably a good thing they restarted.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm loving that chunky neon aesthetic! That said, I find it somewhat immersion-breaking that they filled the space station with fog machines. It looks like the environment artist was just like with the volumetric fog button.

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
Looks pretty much exactly how it looked back in the day, more modern of course.

Also "Fraps.com" and that window. I thought it was some tester leaked footage or something. It's an official video. Heh.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This looks almost identical to what they created all those years ago before they went on a spirit quest chasing a bunch of other inferior styles they ended up not using, finally they're back to making the thing they original set out to make, although presumably now in UE4 instead of Unity.

I like this style a lot. It's what I pledged for. But it took a long time to get back to it. I do hope they have a lot more assets created at this point.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The art looks amazing.

Shame that it's wasted on such archaic level design. The spaceship's rooms makes no sense.

But it's understandable that they would like to maintain the original's design (since it's a remake, obviously)

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Am I weird if I say I dislike the heavy blue/red lighting

I also hate the cubic sizing of the doors and hallways, makes everything looked squished and cramped

but I'm nitpicking as someone who's never played an SS :p

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
"Pre-alpha" my ass. That's not what that terms means. It even says the art used is final.

Alpha - The game is feature complete, but not complete in polish, balance, or bug fixes.
Beta - The game is 'complete' but bugs still remain, and are being found and fixed.

Pre-Alpha - Parts of the game are complete, but there is still planning/level design/modeling/etc. to do.

Which one would you say closest matches the state of the game?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wish I didn't cancel my $75 pledge. I assumed alpha/beta access would be among the slacker-backer options and I'd be able to cut out the unnecessary physical copy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017

I also hate the cubic sizing of the doors and hallways, makes everything looked squished and cramped

It's weird but yeah, that's pretty much how that level looks in System Shock.

974188.png

There's also a level with very garish red paint everywhere, but after that it's more standard drab coloring.

The art looks amazing.

Shame that it's wasted on such archaic level design. The spaceship's rooms makes no sense.

But it's understandable that they would like to maintain the original's design (since it's a remake, obviously)

The level design is the best part. Feels almost like a FPS Metroid game.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Fog is nice and I like that they kept the 90's rgb lighting. Are they doing system shock 2 as well? Could have sworn a remaster of two was announced along side 3.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me that finds this very harsh to look at, like those games around '03-'05 which were under-lit and heavily contrasted (due to attempts at real-time lighting/stencil shadows) with metal and bloom everywhere? It reminds me of games like The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay or Deus Ex: Invisible War, which were migraine-inducing for me.
The volumetric fog looks great, but they sure liked putting it everywhere.

Fog is nice and I like that they kept the 90's rgb lighting. Are they doing system shock 2 as well? Could have sworn a remaster of two was announced along side 3.
They released a source port for System Shock (1) a few months ago, which may be what you are thinking of - and it's excellent.
Nothing has been announced for System Shock 2, as their updated release runs well on modern systems.

Nov 8, 2017
Alpha - The game is feature complete, but not complete in polish, balance, or bug fixes.
Beta - The game is 'complete' but bugs still remain, and are being found and fixed.

Pre-Alpha - Parts of the game are complete, but there is still planning/level design/modeling/etc. to do.

Which one would you say closest matches the state of the game?

I feel like betas as demo's has ruined perceptions of what these terms mean. Then again even in the tech industry it varies org to org as to exact usage.

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if this is in the video or website (can't access either atm), but is the music from the original being used or remastered? Or is it a completely new OST?

Heid

Jan 7, 2018

What the heck is this post lol its like randomly going into some thread and being like "well this sucks and this sucks but haha ive never played this game". Neither have I but obviously the two things going on here with the design is retro-futuristic and claustrophobia.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
How was the original System Shock received by the gaming community? I've only played System Shock 2 and it was pretty great. Was it simply a case of the sequel overshadowing the original or was the first game not "that good"?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
That looks nice, but I'm curious to see what enemies look like. It's easier to do inorganic static environments than moving, organic enemies.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
How was the original System Shock received by the gaming community? I've only played System Shock 2 and it was pretty great. Was it simply a case of the sequel overshadowing the original or was the first game not "that good"?
Many people consider the original to be the better game. They are both very similar and quite different at the same time. System Shock 2 introduced RPG mechanics which was divisive for some.
I personally still think that the game holds up, and really enjoyed playing through the Enhanced Edition recently when they updated it with a new source port rather than the old SS:EE which was held together by strings and tape and would crash if you looked at it funny. Controls take a little bit of adjusting to, but really aren't that bad. Just not your typical FPS controls (it's a game from '94).