• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Leather Teeth. Super dislike the vocal tracks. The other ones aren't bad. But so far it doesn't have the punch of his other stuff, which is what drew me to the music.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
While I'd consider myself a fan of the genre, I know there are a lot of artists whose work I've barely delved into - so I ask, Era, what are some of your absolute top albums, or ones you consider essential listening?

Nov 6, 2017
While I'd consider myself a fan of the genre, I know there are a lot of artists whose work I've barely delved into - so I ask, Era, what are some of your absolute top albums, or ones you consider essential listening?

The Midnight and Carpenter Brut are currently my top 2 artists so I'd say anything from them. EP II from CB is the goat and Nocturnal from TM.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017

TRILOGY-Carpenter Brut
FURI OST
Out of Body-Dance with the Dead
Near Dark-Dance with the Dead
Days of Thunder-The Midnight
Magnatron
Payback-Street Cleaner
Sunset Blood-Starcadian

MisterX

Oct 28, 2017

Perturbator - Uncanny Valley, Sexualizer
Carpenter Brut - Trilogy
Le Matos - Join Us
ALEX & Tokyo Rose - Akuma
The Midnight - Endless Summer, Nocturnal
FM-84 - Atlas
Trevor Something - Trevor Something Does Not Exist, Synthetic Love

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
The new Brut is great. Production values are just insane, it's so well mixed. Hard to pick a favorite, I'll go with Monday Hunt as the guitar/drums make it a killer.

Another good album out is from new guy Specimen #153. Some hard hitting tracks and guitar licks.

https://specimen153.bandcamp.com/album/specimen-152

a0011363904_10.jpg

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
After listening to Leather Teeth on repeat, I gotta say the album is fucking brilliant.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate that Beware The Beast is so overwhelmingly cheesy that it shouldn't work, but it's so earnest in its efforts that it ends up being completely brilliant.

I've listened to the album like 7 times now at this point and it's keeps growing on me. Didn't love track 2 at first (putting a vocal track that early in the first place just struck me as odd) but I really enjoy it

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Cheerleader Effect is starting to grow on me a lot. I think the two vocal tracks might be my favourites on the album, which is strange for me because I usually hate male vocals in Synthwave. Acquiring great talent like Kristoffer and Mat definitely helps.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017

OGRE doesn't seem to get a lot of play. Mostly because I'd say his stuff is more atmospheric/thematic than others in the genre so perhaps has less "hits". But I think 195 is a masterpiece of that sub-genre within Synthwave.

https://ogresound.bandcamp.com/album/195

Pengus has been a long time favourite of mine, his stuff is very unique in feel and sound. Possibly not everyone's cup of tea, it's more upbeat and fluid but stylish.

https://soundcloud.com/pengus/death-valley

https://soundcloud.com/pengus/krung-thep

He also teamed up with Phaserland and Matt Kwid for TEK, on which his sound comes over very prominently in tracks like https://soundcloud.com/tek-synth/pengus-shiny-morning

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
It finally hit me. Hairspray Hurricane reminds of the Twisted Metal soundtrack.

I'm not implying anything. Just saying it's got the same pure rock, high adrenaline vide.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
After a three-year hiatus, Carpenter Brut has returned to the darksynth genre he helped pioneer with an offering guaranteed to entice fans of past releases. However, the excitement is cut short by Leather Teeth's repetitive songwriting, campy guest vocals, and mutilated attempts at integrating metal music. On the heels of a wave of immensely talented new darksynth creators, Carpenter Brut's latest offering feels subpar instead of superlative, and there is little worthwhile content to glean from its patchwork of disconnected musical ideas. As with several other recent releases from synthwave's early innovators, Leather Teeth would barely be a blip on the release radar if it didn't have a celebrated name on the cover.

Source: https://ironskullet.com/2018/02/26/album-review-carpenter-brut-leather-teeth/

I strongly disagree with this review.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah, to each his own I guess, but looking at his other reviews his taste appears to be rather conservative.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
From the end of the review:
In a lamentable indication of the state of synthwave in 2018, Leather Teeth's success with fans was guaranteed before Carpenter Brut wrote a single note for it. The undeniable significance of the artist's contributions to early darksynth has earned him a diehard following that will consume any offering without question, and Leather Teeth is a bold testament to the loyalty of those fans. This is Carpenter Brut's Load, and it will thrive on the artist's name recognition alone. That's fortunate for everyone involved with the recording, because it's the best thing it has going for it.
It seems he was determined to hate it from the start, no matter how good or bad it was.

Oct 26, 2017
eather Teeth's success with fans was guaranteed before Carpenter Brut wrote a single note for it. The undeniable significance of the artist's contributions to early darksynth has earned him a diehard following that will consume any offering without question, and Leather Teeth is a bold testament to the loyalty of those fans
Or.... maybe you just done't like it?

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Inferno Galore is excellent song, definitely one of the better ones from CB so far.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I've had enough of people comparing Leather Teeth to The Trilogy.

Trilogy is three seperate EPs spanning 4 years. Let's be honest, each EP varied in quality.

Comparing Leather Teeth to three EPs (as if they are one album) is like comparing Inception to Nolan's Batman Trilogy.

Nov 6, 2017
I've had enough of people comparing Leather Teeth to The Trilogy.

Trilogy is three seperate EPs spanning 4 years. Let's be honest, each EP varied in quality.

Comparing Leather Teeth to three EPs (as if they are one album) is like comparing Inception to Nolan's Batman Trilogy.

Alright, I understand you like the album but the comparison is fair regarding his style in trilogy vs now. I'm not a fan of him, I'm a fan of his style choice of music and while I understand his style will and can change, that doesnt mean I have to like the new stuff and a lot of his fans dont either. Take it back a notch.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Like many others before me already said, excellent thread. I've discovered Synthwave for myself at the end of last year and been going down a rabbit hole ever since. Carpenter Brut was the initial spark (because I fell in love with the Furi soundtrack) and is still one of my absolute favs, over time I realized the more futuristic/harsher stuff appeals far more to me than the straight up 80's pop-synthwave (also most of the vocals are too cheesy for me). Therefore artists like GosT, Dan Terminus or Perturbator are on heavy rotation here, also I enjoy acts like Fixions, Street Cleaner and Tommy '86. Thanks to this thread I've just discovered Nightstop and Starfounder, which seem to be right up my alley.

Anyway, here are two artists/tracks I haven't seen here so far and that I really appreciate:

Kick Puncher, which released their pretty cool debut at end of last year:

And a song from Turboslash, especially their last EP (named EP II) is amazing:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I am going to be seeing Carpenter Brut on the 10th of March here in Berlin, definitely looking forward to it. It should be awesome I think!

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Like many others before me already said, excellent thread. I've discovered Synthwave for myself at the end of last year and been going down a rabbit hole ever since. Carpenter Brut was the initial spark (because I fell in love with the Furi soundtrack) and is still one of my absolute favs, over time I realized the more futuristic/harsher stuff appeals far more to me than the straight up 80's pop-synthwave (also most of the vocals are too cheesy for me). Therefore artists like GosT, Dan Terminus or Perturbator are on heavy rotation here, also I enjoy acts like Fixions, Street Cleaner and Tommy '86. Thanks to this thread I've just discovered Nightstop and Starfounder, which seem to be right up my alley.

Anyway, here are two artists/tracks I haven't seen here so far and that I really appreciate:

Kick Puncher, which released their pretty cool debut at end of last year:

And a song from Turboslash, especially their last EP (named EP II) is amazing:

Turboslash is indeed excellent.
Didn't know Kick Puncher, sounds amazing, thanks for posting.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I understand you like the album but the comparison is fair regarding his style in trilogy vs now. I'm not a fan of him, I'm a fan of his style choice of music and while I understand his style will and can change, that doesnt mean I have to like the new stuff and a lot of his fans dont either. Take it back a notch.

Strongly disagree. This isn't about forcing or convincing anyone to like LT.

Ill elaborate. Take EP1 for example. This has two of Brut's worst tracks to date. But when you pretend the Trilogy is an original album, and not a compilation, those two bad songs are not weighed the same.

Also, each EP has it's own arc, it's own highs and lows. Roller Mobster is meant to be an opening track, not the 7th. The Le Perv is meant to end an EP, not to be track 6. There's so much nuance that is lost when we pretend Trilogy is an album and not a compilation.

When I discovered Brut, I made a point to purchase and listen to each EP separately. So I can enjoy those arcs, the order of the songs, and even the album art work, as intended.

Last edited:

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I got my new subwoofer for my home, and the first track I tried was Tonebox's Celestial Breakdown

Fucking love this song.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Interestingly Tonebox and Lucy In Disguise do a lot of collaboration. Tonebox goes in heavier with the nigh-on dubstep bass but they definitely have a crossover

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
this may have been brought up (though I searched the thread), but what's a good Pandora station or artist to use as a start on Pandora?

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Where is cheapest for Leather Teeth vinyl for UK?

Less than 16 GBP with free shipping: https://www.dodax.de/de-de/musik-cd...enter-brut-leather-teeth-vinyl-dpJ76FN88R79P/

I've bought from them a ton, sometimes it takes a few weeks to arrive, but they have some insane prices.

Sidenote, I preordered Non Paradisi day one, but just cannot get into that new GosT stuff. I'll wait for the full album to make a decision.

Also, for anyone who missed out on the new Teel, a PO for the 2nd press is up: https://teeel.bandcamp.com/album/overtime

0012765976_10.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Sidenote, I preordered Non Paradisi day one, but just cannot get into that new GosT stuff. I'll wait for the full album to make a decision.
While I still like what he puts out, I have to agree with you. There's something missing after Behemoth and I can't put my finger on it (probably because I don't know much about music).

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to echo the above 2 posts as well on Possessor :/

Wish I hadn't pre ordered the vinyl unseen >_<