• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here come the wave of people alpha-nerding by claiming they have no idea who this is...

OK, I don't know who this is either, but c'mon...

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Obligatory who?.gif comment

This comment was sponsored by Twitch.tv, the Nr. 1 website for livestreaming!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is dsp still a free agent??

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
secure the bag, run through the YouTube contract, then back to Twitch for a huge return stream

can't get mad at it

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Have they talked about any new features (edit: or improved discoverability) coming up soon? They added some core features around the time of the last big wave of signings last year but it's seemed like radio silence since then. Practically every time I've tuned in right after someone moves over they're repeatedly explaining to chat that they don't have [feature] there.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Have they talked about any new features coming up soon? They added some core features around the time of the last big wave of signings last year but it's seemed like radio silence since then.
Couple of days ago, the head of YouTube Gaming tweeted out that news for YTG will be coming in 2 weeks. We know they've been beta testing a lot of features in other countries so yeah stuff could be launching this summer

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If you missed out on who Sykkuno is even after Among Us blowing up to nuclear levels on Twitch, then you're probably just not connected to streaming in general. He was part of the group of people who played with AOC.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You gotta wonder who do these guys think they are, making "epic" trailers for creating a youtube channel LMAO. Becoming more product than people.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
You gotta wonder who do these guys think they are, making "epic" trailers for creating a youtube channel LMAO. Becoming more product than people.
Large streamers are more than just themselves. They are brands. Even smaller streamers have a decent amount of merchandise that you buy. Their channel is a product, and they carry with them large audiences. It's not "creating a YouTube channel". They're migrating an entire audience from one platform to another. I know this site likes to downplay how big streaming is, but if an NFL team can create a hype trailer for a 4th round wide receiver, then a streamer with a large audience can create a hype trailer for switching platforms.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell that's a big get.
I'm surprised it wasn't FB that got him though, they've been going after GTA RP players and while he does a lot of other stuff too he's one of the biggest of those.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I know some of those names. Once in a while I'd watch them on Twitch when they'd show up on the front page or browse section. Didn't even know they moved to youtube.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
I guess he's the start of another wave of big streamers moving there for a giant bag of money. Twitch apparently is unwilling to match the offers.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
secure the bag, run through the YouTube contract, then back to Twitch for a huge return stream

can't get mad at it

Seriously.

I dunno how much the bag was but if it was me... you get like... I dunno 10+ million? Why the hell not. Especially with Twitch messing with revenue like they are, I'd take such a deal in a heart beat. Live normally, bank the majority, invest. Worse case scenario youtube busts out and then you are back to twitch regular streaming.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still seems crazy to me that as far as I know, Twitch doesn't really do anything to fight to keep these bigger streamers. Last I heard, YouTube and Facebook were the only ones making offers, whereas Twitch just kind of sits there expecting streamers to be on their platform.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Sykkuno is a good dude. Hopefully YT starts to compete so Twitch doesn't try to get away with shitty practices they are tossing around.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
It's amusing to see people naming some random US politician and expecting everyone to know about them lol. AOC to me is a computer monitor brand...

I'm glad Youtube is growing as a streaming platform to be honest, so long as the chat doesn't turn into the mess that is Twtich chat. I constantly watch streams on YT with 10k+ viewers and the chat is still readable instead of becoming an endless spam of emotes and half of them not even working without some extension.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch a lot of his content but what little of his content I watched through collaborations (I used to watch a lot of Among Us videos with a group of Youtubers he was a part of) he seems to be one of the nicer influencers around so I'm happy that he's being pushed to, hopefully, a bigger audience rather than one of the uh... more toxic influencers.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
An american politician AND/OR a Computer Monitor company.

About Sykkuno, kinda weird to make such a story about quitting twitch and getting goodbye donations and then announce a move to Youtube the next day.
Seems pretty common too.
well you see the main point there is "donations" so

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously think YouTube Gaming is going about this all wrong.

They should be offering a higher payrate to all creators, improving their UI, and tapping into what makes Twitch successful (chat, memes, features). It's nearly impossible to break through on Twitch. If they could offer better discoverability, better pay, and a better user experience, they'd actually be competition.

But maybe I'm just an idiot. Probably that.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
It's amusing to see people naming some random US politician and expecting everyone to know about them lol. AOC to me is a computer monitor brand...

I'm glad Youtube is growing as a streaming platform to be honest, so long as the chat doesn't turn into the mess that is Twtich chat. I constantly watch streams on YT with 10k+ viewers and the chat is still readable instead of becoming an endless spam of emotes and half of them not even working without some extension.
Literally watch twitch everday for 5 years, and nearly everday before that and no don't know who that is.
Yup, that one's on me. I had an American-centric moment there. It was a massive stream when she played as it was a month before the general US election, and it created a 30+ page on Era as well. I remembered it for being a significant moment, but didn't stop to consider the audience of who it would have been significant towards.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I seriously think YouTube Gaming is going about this all wrong.

They should be offering a higher payrate to all creators, improving their UI, and tapping into what makes Twitch successful (chat, memes, features). It's nearly impossible to break through on Twitch. If they could offer better discoverability, better pay, and a better user experience, they'd actually be competition.

But maybe I'm just an idiot. Probably that.
They already are working on their UI and are already working on new features. They've said this in October and those features are planning to come out this year lol.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still seems crazy to me that as far as I know, Twitch doesn't really do anything to fight to keep these bigger streamers. Last I heard, YouTube and Facebook were the only ones making offers, whereas Twitch just kind of sits there expecting streamers to be on their platform.
I think it boils down to them wanting to keep only a few "big" streamers since they lose money on them (yes, really). Just enough to keep people checking out Twitch and hopefully start watching other medium-sized streamers, but so far they shown to be willing to bleed A LOT of big boys out. It is pretty crazy tho, Ludwig said when he approached them about him moving to youtube their counter-offer was "k thnx bye".

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched his streams and stuff but honestly i don't really care who is on what platform, for me twitch/youtube/tiktok are just things I run when I'm bored or want something "extra" to watch while I'm doing something else, and I don't really care who is streaming. There is a near infinite amount of choices and the tiny, tiny fraction of people who I find I want to follow and watch once in a while... I just watch produced and edited youtube clips of them.

With the pain in the ass advertising has become on the platforms as well I find myself watching a LOT less than a year ago, which makes sense too given many were in quarantine and stuff last year so you did tend to stay at home a lot more.

I guess that probably explains why though my most watched twitch streams nowadays tend to be old ass repeats of old stuff, like Bob Ross, MST3K/Rifftrax, or people singing beautifully in /music The whole parasocial "we're really friends / a community!" stuff of most channels just feels too fake now to me.