• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure, I spend my money so fast.
There's a bug that when you load the game your gold goes to 0. That scares me from saving gold atm.
Luckily, I haven't encountered any annoying or gamebreaking bugs. There have been a few little annoying things but it's been fine. The biggest problem with the game is that there doesn't seem to be enough variety in each run. Dungeon puzzles are really simple and "samey." The game is fun but I'm not sure I see myself sticking with this for too long. The trophies mention "breaking the curse" and it only has like a 0.1% unlock rate. I'm guessing that's the true ending. Not sure how to actually unlock that yet, though. Might get bored before I figure it out.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Luckily, I haven't encountered any annoying or gamebreaking bugs. There have been a few little annoying things but it's been fine. The biggest problem with the game is that there doesn't seem to be enough variety in each run. Dungeon puzzles are really simple and "samey." The game is fun but I'm not sure I see myself sticking with this for too long. The trophies mention "breaking the curse" and it only has like a 0.1% unlock rate. I'm guessing that's the true ending. Not sure how to actually unlock that yet, though. Might get bored before I figure it out.

Yea, honestly if I get to Sword level 15ish I'm good. That would be a good amount of hours for 26.99. Then I'll put it down and maybe there will be updates/DLC to get me back into it.
I really love the style, characters, world, etc so that helps justify the price.
It's a really fun game to put on a podcast/music and play for a couple hours.

and yea there is a true ending.

Also a nice pallet cleanser from the AAA games.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
I've taken the difficulty down a notch and am finding the game a lot more enjoyable. Got one anchor down but only a day for the next one - have unlocked Serendipity though so that could help. I don't like the combat much and puzzle rooms with a seemingly invincible robot octopus continually spawning enemies and messing about randomly with one of the core mechanics of the puzzle (switch) is maddening. However there are a lot of cool design ideas in here, and I'm enjoying discovering and playing with those.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Encountered a "Bug" of sorts last night. Previous death -
I chose a load of stickers to carry over to the next me
New me woke up and I quit out at that point as it was getting late. Next time I boot up it starts at waking up again but I have none of the things ... :-/. Not a huge deal but worth noting if you are in the same situation. May have been related to taking difficulty down mid-run.

Note, if you do find some aspects of the game overly tricky taking down the difficulty to the lowest level isn't the cake walk it implies. It's still tricky enough to be challenging but helps with damage taken and ups number of days to 7.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
So Mormo can one-shot you? I just died to her with full health. Some sort of spike thing shooting out of the wall and I was dead instantly. Very frustrating.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
So Mormo can one-shot you? I just died to her with full health. Some sort of spike thing shooting out of the wall and I was dead instantly. Very frustrating.

I've not got back to them after the very early first run you die during the intro - this is the same move that killed you that time isn't it? Bit harsh. What level were you and how many anchors had you taken down? I'm just clearing a few bits on the main map before sleeping for the final dungeon. I'm level 12 (almost 13) and have taken down both anchors.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I've not got back to them after the very early first run you die during the intro - this is the same move that killed you that time isn't it? Bit harsh. What level were you and how many anchors had you taken down? I'm just clearing a few bits on the main map before sleeping for the final dungeon. I'm level 12 (almost 13) and have taken down both anchors.

I think I was level 11. Levels seem pretty irrelevant, honestly. I had taken down both anchors on that run. Got the gold disappearing glitch on my next run so I think I'm done with this game until the next patch. Even then, not sure I'll come back to it. Game is seriously lacking in equipment variety, enemy variety, dialogue variety, etc.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think I was level 11. Levels seem pretty irrelevant, honestly. I had taken down both anchors on that run. Got the gold disappearing glitch on my next run so I think I'm done with this game until the next patch. Even then, not sure I'll come back to it. Game is seriously lacking in equipment variety, enemy variety, dialogue variety, etc.

Yea it's very nice at the start and then you realize the game is pretty hollow.

Art and design can only keep me playing for so long. All about that gameplay in the end for me.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Defeated Mormo last night on "easy". I found the run through much more enjoyable than the start on "normal". I think with a few tweaks easy should be normal. It's a game that delights and frustrates in equal measure.

Done really nice ideas though, and great presentation. Could just do with better balance and progression.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really love the graphic and illustration styles in this game, but is it as good as owl boy's gameplay?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone describe to me what kind of progression systems are in the game? Any unlocks or town upgrades?

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Defeated Mormo the second time but I have no idea what to do next. I mean is there any endgame or it's just an endless loop of success and failure? I have an icon for defeating her but I can't use it anywhere...

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Defeated Mormo the second time but I have no idea what to do next. I mean is there any endgame or it's just an endless loop of success and failure? I have an icon for defeating her but I can't use it anywhere...

There is a way to end the cycle they hint at, not sure what it is though.

Another patch added recently also means you keep your inventory if you defeat Mormo.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there just a big update the other day? Anyone give it a go or know what was changed?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently, it removes the time limit - kinda disappointing if true. Whatever vision they had for the game, they apparently abandoned it.
:/ I was hoping it'd be something to make me want to jump back to it. Loved the music and the art and the idea. Just didn't all come together like I had hoped.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
:/ I was hoping it'd be something to make me want to jump back to it. Loved the music and the art and the idea. Just didn't all come together like I had hoped.

SUMMER UPDATE I
• The time limit has been removed for most stories. Players instead have to reach a target Level before facing Mormo.
• Updated the Level Up sequence to show Mormo's level in relation to the player's level
• The time limit now only comes into play for stories after players have defeated Mormo
• Players now start at the grave when they fail a story, instead of walking from the house every time

TIMELESS UPDATE
• Added Badges! Collectible characters that can be upgraded on your adventures
• Badges give you a starting Toy of Legend, a free Sticker and some special stats.
• Levelling up a Badge increases the power of these abilities
• Added save slots. Choose up to three slots to store your adventures on Ditto.
• Added some extra abilities and balancing for Mormo in a post-Mormo defeat world.

there might be something in there to tide you over

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
SUMMER UPDATE I
• The time limit has been removed for most stories. Players instead have to reach a target Level before facing Mormo.
• Updated the Level Up sequence to show Mormo's level in relation to the player's level
• The time limit now only comes into play for stories after players have defeated Mormo
• Players now start at the grave when they fail a story, instead of walking from the house every time

TIMELESS UPDATE
• Added Badges! Collectible characters that can be upgraded on your adventures
• Badges give you a starting Toy of Legend, a free Sticker and some special stats.
• Levelling up a Badge increases the power of these abilities
• Added save slots. Choose up to three slots to store your adventures on Ditto.
• Added some extra abilities and balancing for Mormo in a post-Mormo defeat world.

there might be something in there to tide you over

Hmm. I'll give it another go for sure. Interesting to see how badges work.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
So is this game perfectly good in single player? I remember last year most coverage seemed to focus on the coop.
With the Switch version finally coming out, my interest has been rekindled...but I only play solo.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Strangely enough, it seems this game is no longer a roguelite

Big rework and its on discount

https://steamcommunity.com/games/619780/announcements/detail/1613888623723715463

6fdcdf13b02b57d2b355f7d98d7dd70aff0a32c7.png

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Strangely enough, it seems this game is no longer a roguelite

Big rework and its on discount

https://steamcommunity.com/games/619780/announcements/detail/1613888623723715463

it still is, kinda.

Anyway, resurrecting this because I got into Ditto recently, and I absolutely loved my first run, second one was still cool but the formula is already wearing thin at the start of my third run. It doesnt help that the new condition seems to be you re on a timer from the very start, instead of when you match Mormo's level like before, I'm not a fan of that.

How many "loops" does it take to finish the game anyway?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
How is this for single player? Does it have a worthwhile and achievable goal?

It's currently on sale on the Switch in the UK but all the talks of randomisation and multiplayer make me wary.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry for the bump, but can anyone offer any impressions of the "tone" of this game?
I'm considering it as a fun couch co-op game to enjoy with my 6-yo.

It certainly looks adorable, but are the writing/themes wholesome enough to engage fully with a child?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
id say yeah absolutely
That's good to hear, thanks!
I checked out some more footage, and it does look super cute. Seems like young kids might have trouble understanding some of the jokes, and the general dialogue cadence is a bit more erratic than it is in traditional story books.

Still, doesn't look like there's anything too weird. I'll probably pick this up now while it's on sale.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
yeah, its a fun game nothing too crazy and when your character dies you just come back as someone else. nothing overtly violent either