• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swords?

• Swords are cool!

Votes: 159 35.3%
  • You're an idiot!

Votes: 179 39.8%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 112 24.9%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Hey Era, thought I'd chime in with a stupid weekend thread.

So I recently bought a house and am putting together my computer room. It has my bookshelves, comic books, dumb Alien toys, and my computer. If I can fit a nice reading chair in one corner, then it's all set. Maybe a cat tree too, but the little bastard will just take the chair so that seems unnecessary.

Regardless!

When I was in high school and college, I thought swords were pretty cool. I was one of THOSE people. I never bought very many of them, but the ones I do have are kind of ... loud? Like, they're big and make a statement that I was once not very smart with my money. The problem is, I still think they're kind of cool, and I'm not sure if I should dig them out of my parent's basement and bring them over or not. They can't be worse than the Alien toys (yes they can).

The most notable one is this fucker, which weighs 20 pounds and will break if anyone swings it

UC2798anw.jpg

The other big one looks like this and would hang horizontally

31Ntaoqh8LL._SX425_.jpg

I also have a Lord of the Rings replica complete with cert papers and whatnot. It's not huge and of all the swords, would be one I'd most likely hang because everyone likes LOTR. I do think they look pretty cool in person. They're very shiny! Well Chaoseater isn't, but it's kind of neat what with its giant skulls. However, there's a far cry from a Yoshi plush--already on a bookshelf acting as a bookend--and a big fantasy sword. Yoshi is cute. Swords are a bit stupid.

The things I like are stupid.

And because I mentioned my cat, here's a picture of him balancing a Beenie Baby on his head. Remember those things? Ah the 00's.

57216699_2120787934678843_6483496048072327168_n.jpg

What say you, Era?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Swords are no worse than just about any decoration. I have video game posters, my wife has completed puzzles, and at one point our kids play room was decorated like an original super Mario Bros level...

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I think that swords are tricky to pull of for decor, but it's your wall, do what you like!

My personal rule is that you can only mount a weapon on your wall if you know how to use it.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'd say typical longswords / broadswords make for good decoration, but I wouldn't do an entertainment property based sword in any room but my game room. But that's just me. You do you.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I'd only display a sword of it was an actual antique (or stained with the blood of eldritch abominations)

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I think sword decorations are somewhere between Funko Pops and waifu pillows for added aesthetic value to a room. HOWEVER, if swords are your thing then own it and put as many damn swords in your house as you want.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd only display a sword if it were the white ranger's sword.

3lJezVc.jpg

Hell-fucking-yes.

Last edited:

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do what makes you happy, OP :) that space is yours, so own it.

Personally, I don't find swords to be a great decoration. I like going for a cohesive look in a room, so mishmashing a variety of nerdy things doesn't look more than that. To make a room flow better, either pick a single sword, and try to theme the room around that property.

So, like a LotR themed room would be a great room to hang a LotR sword in

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Swords are cool, but not fantasy swords 99% of the time. For me at least.

Presentation and theme-ing matters a lot in this case. If you just have some random ass fantasy swords hanging on your walls or sitting on a shelf that don't match each other or anything else about your room it's gonna look really awkward and cringey. You need nice displays to put them on/in and other stuff to tie the room together. Even then it will probably come across as weird.

OP
OP
Conkersbadfurday
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
You own them already, hang them up.
I do, but that doesn't mean that's a good thing :P

It also took me like two weeks to plug all the holes in the walls before I could paint the place, so putting more in is giving me like PTSD flashbacks :V

Swords are cool, but not fantasy swords 99% of the time. For me at least.

Presentation and theme-ing matters a lot in this case. If you just have some random ass fantasy swords hanging on your walls or sitting on a shelf that don't match each other or anything else about your room it's gonna look really awkward and cringey. You need nice displays to put them on/in and other stuff to tie the room together. Even then it will probably come across as weird.
So what you're saying is I really need a replica of a Pulse Rifle to go with all my Alien toys.

I can dig that answer.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i have to hide my master sword and hylian shield.

Nobody needs to know I am secretly the savior of the world and the pussy slayer

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
My friend has the sword from braveheart above his bed and i swear to god one of these days it's gonna fall and get em. So my word of advice is no swords above the bed.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We have a couple swords at work and I want to have them out and about in the office but everyone keeps saying no

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
For the love of all good taste do not stick up the first sword.

The second maybe as that could pass as a real sword. But even then unless you're going hard into a collection having swords on your wall is an anti-social decoration to say the least.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
once lived in a log cabin in the woods type of condo unit and a neighbor had a bunch of swords on display. i thought it was cool, felt like i walked into a real life RPG home

but that's like the only instance i can think of where it couldn't be tacky as fuck. that said if you're doing a mancave/computer room type of thing there's no point being too fussed with 'tasteful' interior sensibilities anyway

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Mounting swords with exposed blades strikes me as tacky. I wouldn't be against displaying something with a nice decorative scabbard.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Cringe dumps aside, I do kind of wish it were still culturally appropriate to accessorize with swords/daggers/etc. Like a pocketwatch that you can hurt yourself with.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I think historically swords actually did serve more as decoration and ceremonial items for the rich, hence why the designs got so ridiculous. In pure practical terms for warfare, swords were just an inefficient waste of precious metal resources. Spears and axes just made a lot more sense.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I collect some swords but mostly fantasy daggers. I say live your life.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I always wanted one of those in high school, but they were always too expensive. Hindsight says it's best I never bought one. I'd have poked my eye out, kid

How sharp are the swords you have?

We actually have some swords in my work, for weddings so they can cut the cake. They're replicas but made out of proper steel. The longsword is blunted but the cutlass is sharp for some reason. Like you could genuinely kill a person with it.

OP
OP
Conkersbadfurday
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
How sharp are the swords you have?

We actually have some swords in my work, for weddings so they can cut the cake. They're replicas but made out of proper steel. The longsword is blunted but the cutlass is sharp for some reason. Like you could genuinely kill a person with it.
They aren't sharp. All of them are decorations for lonely people like myself. The LOTR one is a solid piece of metal and could bludgeon someone to death pretty easily though. I"d prefer NOT to do that in the computer room as the carpet is new.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Swords are cool but only if in a certain aesthetic. My mate has like 8 swords in his main room from LOTR but they're all fairly normal looking, mounted vertically on plaques with engravings. They look stylish.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like swords, but I would never put one on a wall, and definitely not in my living rooom.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Since OP mentioned it was for their computer room and they will also be displaying toys and other tchotchkes I don't see the problem. Same thought process as my dad having a theater room with old posters, props, and a popcorn machine, it makes the room.

Living room or really any other room? No. Don't. Unless it's a family heirloom (OP's pics are NOT) you should not be decorating with swords. Only other place you can show off blades is your kitchen, and those better be nice well maintained Western/Japanese cutting knives on magnetic strips.

OP
OP
Conkersbadfurday
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I like swords, but I would never put one on a wall, and definitely not in my living rooom.
Def not going in the living room :P Computer room/library area. Three bookshelves (maybe room for a fourth but I need more books), my PC, and a chair but I gotta grab a tape measure to see if that'll fit.

The living room is going to get whatever paintings I can make that look worth hanging up and a Tom and Jerry serial-cel. That's already framed. Just need to pound a nail in the wall.