• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SeZMehK

Turnip King
Oct 27, 2017
New York
And here I thought the series may have ended with Alice. Lol. I liked Alice. I wonder how this one will be.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
JFC
Gary Stu became a videogame god and got to spend 200 years with his waifu before returning to the real world with Zero consequences.
What more story can you BS out of SAO!?

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nice!

I'm loving SAO lately with the Alicization arcs

Hopefully Progressive will be better than....say another anime with "Progressive" in the title.....

Now they need to find a way to bring back the best character introduced in Alicization

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
And here I thought the series may have ended with Alice. Lol. I liked Alice. I wonder how this one will be.
Nice!

I'm loving SAO lately with the Aliciziation arcs

Hopefully Progressive will be better than....say another anime with "Progressive" in the title.....

This is Aincrad. An expanded retelling of Aincrad.

JFC
Gary Stu became a videogame god and got to spend 200 years with his waifu before returning to the real world with Zero consequences.
What more story can you BS out of SAO!?

This is before that lmao

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sword Art Online Progressive is both a partial re-do of Aincrad, as well as a completely new story covering the missing gaps of what happened in the game. Given the fact that the next arc has only began as of a few years ago (prior to this, the anime was keeping behind to wait for the light novel versions of the web novel to adapt from) and is still on-going, it was either this or effectively nothing for awhile. So I'm not shocked.

From what I've heard, Progressive is a LOT better written than anything he wrote during the self-published days. I've not read it myself, so I'm hoping that's the case.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what friends have told me, Progressive is an in-depth floor by floor retelling of Sword Art Online season 1 first half.

I liked the Aincrad stuff, so I'm interested.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So it's a remake of the first 13 episodes? That's the only chunk of SAO I enjoyed, so that actually sounds kinda good.

Hopefully it's actually progressive and doesn't feature sexual assault!

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oh nice, i really enjoyed the first season, will definitely watch this. When is this supposed to release? Probably next year, right?

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll aim for Progressive LNs or the Progressive manga viewpoint.

Personally, I'm hoping more for the Asuna POV from the manga.

There's another arc after Alicization.
It just started though, so will probably take years before the anime version.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
So it's a remake of the first 13 episodes? That's the only chunk of SAO I enjoyed, so that actually sounds kinda good.

Hopefully it's actually progressive and doesn't feature sexual assault!
No, Progressive isn't so much a retelling of the first arc of SAO as it is a wholly new story entirely built around Aincrad. The original Aincrad arc was covered by two light novels: one that picked up on the 70th floor or so and covered the end of the arc, and then a collection of short stories that fleshed out the earlier story arcs like meeting Lizbeth and such.

So far (as I have read at least), Progressive is going at a rate of one whole light novel per floor of Aincrad. They are on floor five as of the fourth novel. As a result, the series has built up a completely new cast of characters who didn't appear in the original story.

So in practice, Progressive is a complete reboot of Sword Art Online that starts over from the beginning. The author claims that Progressive will lead into the familiar events, but I find that hard to believe. It feels impossible for the story to not diverge from the original version already.

Enthuzed

Apr 21, 2020
I liked the Aincrad arc and don't mind fleshing out that story at alll. Was better than the ALO fairy stuff or Gun gale.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, Progressive isn't so much a retelling of the first arc of SAO as it is a wholly new story entirely built around Aincrad. The original Aincrad arc was covered by two light novels: one that picked up on the 70th floor or so and covered the end of the arc, and then a collection of short stories that fleshed out the earlier story arcs like meeting Lizbeth and such.

So far (as I have read at least), Progressive is going at a rate of one whole light novel per floor of Aincrad. They are on floor five as of the fourth novel. As a result, the series has built up a completely new cast of characters who didn't appear in the original story.

So in practice, Progressive is a complete reboot of Sword Art Online that starts over from the beginning. The author claims that Progressive will lead into the familiar events, but I find that hard to believe. It feels impossible for the story to not diverge from the original version already.
Thanks for this. Sounds promising.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately looking forward to this. Sword art is something i don't mind in general and i found progressive more enjoyable than the original first arc when i read both because it explores a lot more of the mmo elements

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With any luck, this should be to Sword Art Online what Brotherhood was to Fullmetal Alchemist.

Retelling the Aincrad story more proper, with the floor by floor storytelling of Progressive, and all of the details they left out previously.

There's more than enough content for a 24 episode Aincrad arc now.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that detests SAO, for the longest fucking time I've been firm that SAO had a massive amount of wasted potential due to not focusing the entire story on the actual SAO anime. So to hear that there's actually a retelling that will do just that honestly has me intrigued.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that detests SAO, for the longest fucking time I've been firm that SAO had a massive amount of wasted potential due to not focusing the entire story on the actual SAO anime. So to hear that there's actually a retelling that will do just that honestly has me intrigued.

To give you an idea, at the time in 2012 they adapted:
  • Sword Art Online Volume 1 (the original Aincrad novel)
  • Sword Art Online Volume 2 (side stories)
  • Some of Sword Art Online Volume 8 (A Murder Case in the Arena side story)
  • A poor man's version of the first Progressive story line (Aria in the Starless Night.)
Now they've got the additional stuff they can adapt:
  • Sword Art Online Progressive (six volumes of story lines)
  • Hopeful Chant (side story that takes place on the 40th floor)
  • The Day Before (side story)
  • Sugary Days (side stories that takes place before Kirito and Asuna found Yui)
  • First Day (side story that was in Volume 8 detailing Kirito after he left the starting town, but wasn't added to the anime for some reason...)
This is in addition to retelling many of the stories that they butchered in the original adaptation, such as restoring the missing plotlines from Aria in the Starless Night, or expanding The Red Nose Reindeer to cover all the events.

Assuming they go the whole distance, they have enough content easily for a two cour (24 episode) series revolving entirely around Aincrad. This should make this the definitive way to watch SAO.

Last edited:

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
It's just using the literal meaning of it " happening or developing gradually or in stages; proceeding step by step. " to refer to how the series is working on basically adapting a floor a book.
no I get it but given this show's history and infamous treatment of the women (something it clearly shares with a lot of anime in and out of its lane) I can't stop the chuckles.

OP
OP
Lord Arcadio

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Finished watching the final episode of Alicization which just released. That sure was something lmao. Cant believe the first episode of it came out Oct 2018. Two years of this arc.

I'm ready to go back to Aincrad now.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the love of God just give me a second season of Sword Art Alternative.
I just want more Alternative, the main SAO line is shit.
tenor.gif

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Actually somewhat hopeful for this. SAO has had its (imo rare) moments, but the most consistently enjoyable stuff in the series was probably very early on during Aincrad before they very abruptly resolved its plot. I actually really liked those first few episodes of world-building (that I think I read were adapted from some side chapters or something? I don't remember). I think a more deliberately paced Aincrad could be enjoyable.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
The progressive novels are by far the best material in the series. I know that's not saying much for most people, but it adds a lot of depth and characterization to characters that were previously much more rote or didn't get the same chance to shine.

Really been enjoying the light novels.

OP
OP
Lord Arcadio

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I think a more deliberately paced Aincrad could be enjoyable.

This is what I need. Before I knew that the story in the anime adaptation was stitched together from different novels, I was shocked that it was so strangely paced. As bad the arcs after Aincrad are, they feel more coherent. I'm sure the adaptation could have done more to make Aincrad flow better, but having a new source that just starts from the beginning and goes from there will help a lot.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the better written version of SAO, right?

To put it in simple terms, yes.

I think what confuses a lot of people is that there's two sets of SAO content. The stuff that was written between 2002 and 2008 for the web novel series, and the stuff that's come out after that now that Kawahara's a professional writer.

Most of what has been adapted so far is the Light Novel versions of that web novel content, which includes Alicization. The stuff that just aired on TV is largely 12 years old now.

Progressive is newer content that fills in the gaps in the Aincrad arc, and started in 2013, with the latest volume (Volume 6) having come out in 2018. It is essentially a soft reboot or retelling of sorts. We will most likely see another volume at least before this anime starts too.

Apr 24, 2018
Hmm. Maybe I'll check this series out - going by this thread, it seems that it may be a decent entry point into the Sword Art universe (seems to be a retelling of the first major arc?). I've been on a pretty big anime kick since lockdown/work from home started. I saw a couple of trailers for Alicization that piqued my interest a bit...