• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
How do the guns feel? How do you like the traversal options? What weapons are you using?

Can't comment too much on guns just yet, you start with a pistol for the tutorial stuff, and you'll find it quite hard to change weapons without gaining some levels first it seems since weapons have stat requirements and are expensive at least in the beginning so far... Like I said, just an hour in. Exploring the main hub and cleared tutorial stuff.

The traversal is neat because animations are cool, stylish and crisp. Also the hookshot like item you get, as one of the characters in-game says, it changes the dynamic of play.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't comment too much on guns just yet, you start with a pistol for the tutorial stuff, and you'll find it quite hard to change weapons without gaining some levels first it seems since weapons have stat requirements and are expensive at least in the beginning so far... Like I said, just an hour in. Exploring the main hub and cleared tutorial stuff.

The traversal is neat because animations are cool, stylish and crisp. Also the hookshot like item you get, as one of the characters in-game says, it changes the dynamic of play.
Awesome, sounds good.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First impression right after starting the game on PC: why isn't the mouse supported to navigate menus? Left click works to accept and right click works to cancel but I have to navigate with the keyboard.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Well, been playing for a few hours since coming home from work. Took down the second dungeon boss about 15 mins ago.

Really liking the gameplay. It's pretty fast paced or slow paced, depending on how you want it (staying back with a sniper rifle or charging in with an AR/SMG). The gadgets are nice, although I've only used the basic grenade and healing so far, but it's a quick activation and we're good to go.

I really like how easy it is to reset dungeons to grind side quests. Instead of having to run through the entire dungeon, go back outside, load back in - just fast travel inside the dungeon back to the starting point and run it again for whatever mobs you need. Got some cool gear while doing this too and it seems the various chests get reset that way as well!

Companions are kinda neat too. I like how they actively focus on the commands you give them (if you tell them to focus on healing, the hoo damn, health ain't an issue. If you tell them to focus on your target - hoo damn, he's gonna melt). Their voice acting, though, got really annoying at one point, completely drowning out all the action going on (doesn't help that the AR's sounds glitch out pretty often, not playing any sounds when shooting), but I've reached a point where my brain's just filtering it out, so it's not really bothering me anymore.

And now I'm heading back for more loot!

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm liking the game itself and after going with doubled renderscale and upping AA, it looks a lot better too but the bloody Chromatic Aberration has got to go.
E490CD8220FA82650944E262D13100C5D96115CC

96F8BBF80830C2B21D53D3838CEC7F84CCBDE123

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching a friend playing this right now on Steam and we wonder something, how can he access the preorder-items?

Also, granted we are both fans of the show and the game doesn't seem to be anything special but so far I see no reason to pan it either, it's just a mediocre game aimed at fans, nothing outstanding and nothing bad.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I'm watching a friend playing this right now on Steam and we wonder something, how can he access the preorder-items?

Also, granted we are both fans of the show and the game doesn't seem to be anything special but so far I see no reason to pan it either, it's just a mediocre game aimed at fans, nothing outstanding and nothing bad.

Buy the pre-order/deluxe/season pass items from the shop for 100 credits each. By the end of the tutorial stuff you should have around 20k credits, so no big deal.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm unfamiliar with past games and the anime, but I ended up buying the game on Steam, because the gameplay looked fun, and because of the pre-order promotion.

Can I play the game just fine, in terms of story, or do I need to play any of the previous games, and/or watch the anime?

Oct 26, 2017
Watched some Pro footage from Gamersyde and the game sure has some aliasing here and there. Doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the Pro at all and I bet neither X. Not a huge deal, but still unfortunate. Or am I wrong?

EDIT...

My bad. It IS X enhanced.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
So far I'm only seeing third person shooting action, are there any RPG elements at all? Are there things like exploration in towns and such?

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far I'm only seeing third person shooting action, are there any RPG elements at all? Are there things like exploration in towns and such?
Yes, there are RPG elements: You level your character and improve stats, learn skills, get armor/weapons... the usual stuff.

After 5 hours spent on the game, I'm really liking what's here when it comes to picking missions and going shooting things down.
When it comes to character interactions, I feel that the Italian translation leaves a lot to be desired. What the NPC are saying through voice acting, or rather what comes out personality wise, and what the text conveys are at odds. It feels like some things are shortened to the most basic meaning. Basically, the text lacks a lot of charm.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Just a heads up to people playing:
- You can accept sidequests/PvE quests multiple times after clearing them
- There's no upper limit on how many quests you can hold at once (if there is, I never hit it)

Combine the above 2 and take everything you can every time you can to have a steady stream of materials for upgrade throughout the game.

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
Just a heads up to people playing:
- You can accept sidequests/PvE quests multiple times after clearing them
- There's no limit on how many quests you can accept

Combine the above 2 and take everything you can every time you can to have a steady stream of materials for upgrade throughout the game.
Thats some good protipping. Damn good.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Had to set my mouse to 400dpi and ingame sens to 0 to get confortable aiming lol. Guess it's tuned for controllers.
Nope, I had to turn it down to 6 sensitivity with a 360 controller and it's still twitchy. Turning everything up to 100 would probably break the space time continuum.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Run and gun feels like cheating I'll probably try thatt I hope it doesn't suck

But I I think I'd want something that counters Gun and sword as I assume that is what every one will build.

Hmmmmmmmmmm I finished that first cutscenes with kirito and now it's been loading for a few minutes......

EditE Still loading.... FucjFimFgonna havehto remake both characters and do tutorial again aren't i

Last edited:

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I don't think there are many English wikis yet, so here's the way to get the true ending:
You need to see events for all characters:
- Get affinity to about level 4 and 75% for the following NPCs: ArfaSys, Kureha, Zeliska, Itsuki, Bazalt Joe
- Get affinity to level 2 for the other NPCs (Kirito mode doesn't count, you can ignore it)

After you've done the above, you should get an item from ArfaSys (a charm) in your room. When you have it, just proceed with the story.

*I've also read that you need to destroy the mouth part of the last boss, but only one Japanese blog mention it, so I don't know if it's true.
Run and gun feels like cheating I'll probably try thatt I hope it doesn't suck

But I I think I'd want something that counters Gun and sword as I assume that is what every one will build.

Hmmmmmmmmmm I finished that first cutscenes with kirito and now it's been loading for a few minutes......
Honestly I gave Gun and Sword a shot and didn't like it, you get stuck in animations for way too long when using the sword. I prefer 2x Machine Gun.

zodiac

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About 2 hours in, so far I like it, quite a bit. Not sure how long the appeal will last, but if you interested you'll probably enjoy it.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
How do I get more PVE missions?
When you get access a new area you unlock new PVE missions for Named Monsters from there.
Also, remember that the round lobby is the only place where you can get actual sidequests. I was very confused by it, because I assumed that the lobby was there only for easy access to different facilities.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that really as dark as you can make your created character?
Yes. It's disappointing to be honest.

EditE Still loading.... FucjFimFgonna havehto remake both characters and do tutorial again aren't i

For future reference, also because you can modify your character afterward as well (but you can't change gender) you can save your character choices for a quick load. There are 5 slots to use.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking for a good podcast game lately. I don't really have any interest in Sword Art itself so i'd likely ignore the story, but would this be a good podcast game?

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excited to dive in tomorrow. Friend is liking it a lot so far. Said he just wished it had a better character creator.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I jumped back in to see if the game got better after patches 1.03 and 1.04, but sadly AI still has serious pathfinding issues and is just... stupid. During the first half of the game it doesn't matter that much, but near the end, where you can get killed VERY quickly, seeing your NPCs run around like idiots (had 1 of them block the other 2 on a stairway and as a result no one could revive me and we all died).

Someone here mentioned that setting an AI pattern in the game makes a huge difference. Seriously, it's not that great. My Arfasys is a "heal" type, I have all NPCs set to healing and yet there are long periods of time where I'm running with half HP.

Also, gems like this:

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I love SAO but I'm on the fence here. Think I'll probably wait and get it on sale/when it's cheaper or something.

That said, watching this thread for impressions :)

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was moaning at my girl that I've been running around this damn facility and all i want to do is kill shit..but once it got started I was hooked.
note there's probably a point early on where you can probably go out to fight but I spent hours making sure all the dialogs and such was done first

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Did the online trophies with a friend over PSN, that was fun. Since we were trading wins anyway it was fun to try and solo the PvP bosses (We did Hero Quests with pre-set characters) in a time-attack manner instead. My best time saved us a 3 Minutes and 38 seconds lol out of the 10 minutes allotted. That first boss has a Million HP, and it's a lot to whittle down by yourself.

Interestingly it seems that the online quests where you don't even use your own Avatar increase stuff like your weapon proficiency regardless. My friend maxed out SMG to the full 1000 proficiency, after dealing approximately 5.5-6.5 Million damage and got the trophy Weapon Master, despite his Avatar being only level 2 and never actually using an SMG. (But he kept using Rain in the PvP-Hero mode, who has insane DPS thanks to dual-wielding SMG's with a 160-round magazine.)

Nov 3, 2017
The start of the game is...really rough.

What little I've seen of the combat seems promising, but I spent the vast majority of the 2-3 hours I played running around a bland town, staring at loading screens and having mind numbing anime cliches talk at me.

Seriously, how is SAO popular? Kirito and his friends all seem excruciating

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could swear I was getting 30fps yesterday with 200% screen reso yet today I was going at 15 making the game unplayable. Lowered it to 160% and I could hit 60fps, although in my apartment it drops to 40 for no good reason.

Spent two hours just doing some side missions and 1 main mission. All the weapons on offer are fucking with my head to decide on which to use.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The start of the game is...really rough.

What little I've seen of the combat seems promising, but I spent the vast majority of the 2-3 hours I played running around a bland town, staring at loading screens and having mind numbing anime cliches talk at me.

Seriously, how is SAO popular? Kirito and his friends all seem excruciating
It's a harem? The art is nice? The basic premise is interesting? Idk, they are excruciating and I really don't understand it.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What's the multiplayer like? Can I do much online with my friend or is it a complete afterthought?

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
What's the multiplayer like? Can I do much online with my friend or is it a complete afterthought?
You can team up with your friend and 2 randoms to do PvP which is fighting bosses and trying to get more damage in than the other team (which you can kill etc.) or PvE, which is just fighting buffed story bosses.

PvE multiplayer is a super quick way to make money. The item you get for each (?) boss fight can be sold for a ton of money.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ended up picking it up. I've never played a game like it, but i'm having a lot of fun. The story and character interactions are completely beyond me since I have no familiarity with Sword Art Online, so I skip those, but the gameplay is quite fun. My only big complaint atm is the AI is pretty bad. There was a boss fight they were completely useless and just kept dying over and over, and didn't seem to know not stand in the barrage of bombs. They're not usually bad to that degree, but it was a slog having to solo take down the boss.