• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I was upset about the Dex cut but I can't even begin to muster any anger over attacks of all things being removed. That's like, whatever.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I skipped Sun/Moon cause the games were getting too big. Too many Pokemon, moves, mechanics, etc. I love that they are pairing it all down. Makes me way more excited for the game.

I love it when other people don't have choice because I'm too indecisive.

Let's Thanos snap Netflix too because I hate spending too much time looking for a show.

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I thought this was obvious once the total amount of Pokemon was capped to a certain number. There's only but so many moves the game can have per type before redundancies overwhelm the system like we have up to Gen 7. Streamlining that can improve the balance.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these moves are gimmicks or trash, but yeah I'll miss moves like HP and Return tbh.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
There are literally no alternatives to Pursuit and Hidden Power. They are the only moves that fulfill their functions. This just removes strategic options and the viability of a large number of Pokémon.

This doesn't facilitate new theorycraft. It just eliminates options. That sucks.
Seriously. It just makes less Pokemon viable.

One of my favorites is Weavile. I don't know if it survived the snap, but if it did then it's going to be way less effective because it loses on of its main tools.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The cut moves aren't particularly important. Hidden Power is the biggest one, but I'm actually happy to see it gone.

What I'm more puzzled by is what they didn't cut. Things like Double Team, Minimize, Smokescreen, etc.

Even cutting Stealth Rock probably would have outweighed any negative move cuts. But once again, they generally ignore 6v6 singles despite that being the default mode for the campaign.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I heard they were also going to cut Pokemon Types (Water & Dark) as well. Thnk they'll cut the # of gyms in the future too?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is a bit of an odd one. I can only imagine they did it due to balance. I am a bit curious as to their reasoning.

I'm not going to shed a tear for Hidden Power though. That move can go and never come back. It's a big part of why many Pokémon get hacked in as it's so easier to hack the ideal IV spread than get it in. They could have just done it with a Hidden Power Changer though.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would argue that Hidden Power was good as it existed. It didn't include Fairy and was ludicrously time consuming to legitimately produce. Hidden Power very badly needed an overhaul for multiple generations and never got it.

But to simply remove it? That stuns me. They could have completely reworked the move so it was a 60 BP move whose type could be changed under certain criteria. Feed a Pokémon a special berry or drink or something. Or visit an NPC that helps a Pokémon unlock certain potential.

But removing it completely never crossed my mind. What are Pokémon like Magnezone supposed to do now? Unless moveset changes give these kinds of Pokémon other options, those Pokémon are just done.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Oh no, now people will have to come up with new strategies. It's almost as if Gamefreak is trying to adjust the game's balance
Oh no, it's like you have no idea what you are talking about.

And ironically your post comes exactly after one with one big example of why this is bad for balance. Specifically:

Ferrothorn and Aegislash now exist in a meta with no Magnet Pull trappers and no HP Fire on anything that does resist them.

This basically means every team will have one of those, especially considering Stealth Rock is still in and Ferrothorn is one of its more common setters. Whatever competitive scene that grows around this game will be focused on countering these two Pokemon out of 400. That's hilariously short-sighted and exactly the sort of "balance" one should be thankful for.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of that Trump one... I'll allow that lol.

But Sky Uppercut? I'd be furious on Blaziken's behalf if he was actually in the game.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There are literally no alternatives to Pursuit and Hidden Power. They are the only moves that fulfill their functions. This just removes strategic options and the viability of a large number of Pokémon.

This doesn't facilitate new theorycraft. It just eliminates options. That sucks.

While that is true, they clearly had a reason for removing these moves when designing the game's balance. They obviously decided that those moves weren't needed for what they're trying to achieve with this gen and I don't think the full impact of that will be known until the game is out and people start exploring the meta.

I agree though that on the surface this sucks

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I don't think anyone would argue that Hidden Power was good as it existed. It didn't include Fairy and was ludicrously time consuming to legitimately produce. Hidden Power very badly needed an overhaul for multiple generations and never got it.

But to simply remove it? That stuns me. They could have completely reworked the move so it was a 60 BP move whose type could be changed under certain criteria. Feed a Pokémon a special berry or drink or something. Or visit an NPC that helps a Pokémon unlock certain potential.

But removing it completely never crossed my mind. What are Pokémon like Magnezone supposed to do now? Unless moveset changes give these kinds of Pokémon other options, those Pokémon are just done.
I would have liked Hidden Power to have its power reduced to 45 or 50. It's too much of a lynchpin in so many things that it just dominated. So many sets included it

Oct 27, 2017
None of this would matter to you in the main campaign.
Only in Pokemon do people complain about a game having too much variety in enemies

All I can say is that if people are this chill about moves getting cut, I absolutely cannot WAIT for the GTS thread. Gonna need fucking cargo ships of popcorn for that shitshow.
Don't tell me there's some GTS related fuckery. Please, don't tell if it's a 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of thing...

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything worth complaining about with these changes. Pursuit is the most significant cut, but the competitive community will manage.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I thought this was obvious once the total amount of Pokemon was capped to a certain number. There's only but so many moves the game can have per type before redundancies overwhelm the system like we have up to Gen 7. Streamlining that can improve the balance.
Except as numerous people have mentioned, a number of these moves aren't redundant and there are seemingly no replacements for them

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
Cut, but with higher quality animations!
Joke aside, it's kinda sad to see what Pokemon main videogames are those days.

I miss Heartgold, with tons of content.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely not against the removal of moves in general. There are a lot of moves and a lot of them are bad, too. While some feel it's homogenizes movesets I think it's a waste to have Liquidation and Waterfall with a 5 BP difference. I've always been fine with slimming down the movelist and combining certain move concepts.

But the removal of some moves that perform a crucial function with unique utility with no replacement is a head spinner. Imagining the meta without Pursuit and Hidden Power just invalidates a ton of Pokémon outright. That's wild.

My personal favourite of the series so far - admittedly haven't gotten around to playing Sun & Moon - was Black & White because it seemed like it was taking the most risks in order to improve the game.

I also remember being extremely excited about Diamond and Pearl because the physical/special split promised to make more Pokemon viable, and so pushing us closer to the mythical situation where you really can just pick your favourite Pokemon and succeed if you try hard enough.

Just looking at this list, I don't think it's in that same direction at all.

Oct 28, 2019
Boy are people going to be in for a rude awakening when they realise this game was seemingly very, very time constrained in development.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
What does this mean for pokemon that are stuck in home with moves that have been cut (specifically things like Hidden Power), will they just be locked up and unable to be moved?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What does this mean for pokemon that are stuck in home with moves that have been cut (specifically things like Hidden Power), will they just be locked up and unable to be moved?
The move IDs still exist in the games, they're just dummied out. You'll probably be able to transfer them and the move will just get wiped in the process, or they'll just have a splash-style effect if you try to use them in battle.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Hopefully Home will let you edit movesets. Or maybe the moves will just be blanked upon import.

But if not... 🙃

Edit: Ah, good, I see this is already answered.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Based on datamined transfer text, you can transfer them, but you can't use the cut moves and the game strongly encourages you to remove the moves (although it seemingly doesn't do it automatically)

Oct 27, 2017
the real question, can you fuck with something that doesn't exist anymore
There is a small chance that the GTS is missing, the datamine might let us know for sure.
c66njpG.gif

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
You can debate only 4 moves were relevant to the competitive meta (pursuit/hidden power/frustration/return).

The last 2 are debatable and likely replaceable. The first two were extremely important but people will adapt. I'm excited to see how the meta will take form in the games.

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts:
Getting rid of Return and Hidden Power makes sense, because Return is just a busy work move, which they are getting away from, and Hidden Power is basically RNG: The move, so fuck it anyway. These are removed so that building a team for online is easier.
Not getting rid of Stealth Rock is FUCKING DUMB. At least make it type agnostic and not take half a Poke's health away. I'd be fine with Rock types being immune to it, and Ghost/Flying being immune to Spikes, but type effectiveness outside of that is dumb.

I like how so far no one has said they've done a massive culling of items, which is seriously where they need to fucking remove shit.

MikeBreezy92

Oct 28, 2019
I would have liked Hidden Power to have its power reduced to 45 or 50. It's too much of a lynchpin in so many things that it just dominated. So many sets included it

I didn't particularly mind that because that was the point. It's supposed to be a move to make your Pokemon a tiny bit more viable. Multiple Pokemon having it to cover weakness's made sense.

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible that the GTS is on the list of things cut from this game.
So basically the one feature which made it alright that they still had 2 versions, because it was easy to get the version exclusives from the other game...is possible gone? After being a series staple since online was introduced 13 years ago???