• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No no, you can't post here unless you're throwing a tantrum about the death of player choice and difficulty in, ahem, Pokémon.
So I see you've yet to explain what removing this option gives you. It doesn't benefit people that use it and just makes it a worse game for people who didn't.

But i guess you don't care because "fuck you got mine" and you somehow think this gives you the right to somehow act like you're the better person here as you mock people for expressing disappointment at a completely baffling change.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
WTF, in what sense is less options good?. turning off eexp share was great to try to keep my team underleverl to find some kind of challenge.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Threads about software features are always a little painful to read.

From a software dev's perspective, what Game Freak did was efficient and smart. They preserved the ability to do something without writing any additional code.

A toggle would not be simple. From a technical standpoint, it at least doubles the complexity of any code that touches XP, doubling the codepaths the machine can take, and thus doubling the number of test cases in your automated and manual testing.

While long time fans might be put off by losing the feature, it makes a lot of sense, from a software design perspective, to lose it. It's a sign the game is being developed by experienced, competent people, which is good. Right?
WTF is this a real opinion?. we should remove option from every game then because of how smart it is.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
No no, you can't post here unless you're throwing a tantrum about the death of player choice and difficulty in, ahem, Pokémon.

"Stop saying XY are too easy and have zero postgame content, they're the first ever 3D games, shut up"

"Stop complaining about Pokemon SM being handholdy and having no post game content. It's for kids, shut up"

"Stop complaining about let's Go! Being a celebration of all the bad choices you've been criticizing since Gen 6. You'll get your game next year, shut up"

"Ok so they removed all the Pokemon in the game that was meant to be for you hardcore players LMAO big deal, who cares about Maractus? The most popular ones are still going to be there, this is a non issue, stop acting like they're going to remove half of them. Shut up"

"Well ok they left Maractus, and removed 63% of the roster including fan favorites like Blaziken, Pidgeot and Mewtwo. Big deal, just make new favorites, shut up"

"Who cares about them removing options like turning off EXP Share? You're just a minority thats's throwing a tantrum, all RPGS do this, ignore the fact that they have difficulty options, you're just a manbaby, shut up"

Coming up:

"Well I have never ever used the Global Trade System so this is a non-issue, shut up"

Last edited:

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I honestly really hate the concept of the Exp. Share working for every Pokemon and it is going to actively make my enjoyment of the game lesser. I don't like the idea of one of my Pokemon evolving or using a move when it doesn't participate in a battle as dumb as that is, and I used to always try to keep all of my Pokemon at the same level in every game. The Exp. Share actively prevents me from playing the way I would like to.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
More like you can't criticize anything that Game Freak does other wise you are, ahem, a child throwing a tantrum.
so what if we're getting a lesser game for $20 usd more? I choose to buy it regardless because I am morally superior and can overlook the flaws of the game and reward companies for charging me more for less of a product.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Stop saying XY are too easy and have zero postgame content, they're the first ever 3D games, shut up"

"Stop complaining about Pokemon SM being handholdy and having no post game content. It's for kids, shut up"

"Stop complaining about let's Go! Being a celebration of all the bad choices you've been criticizing since Gen 6. You'll get your game next year, shut up"

"Ok so they removed all the Pokemon LMAO big deal, who cares about Maractus? The most popular ones are still going to be there, this is a none issue, stop acting like they're going to remove half of them. Shut up"

"Well ok they left Maractus, and removed 63% of the roster including fan favorites like Blaziken, Pidgeot and Mewtwo. Big deal, just make new favorites, shut up"

"Who cares about them removing options? You're just a minority thats's throwing a tantrum, all RPGS do this, ignore the fact tha they have difficulty options, you're just a manbaby shut up"

Coming up:

"Well I have never ever used the Global Trade System so this is a non-issue, shut up"
I'm not a very eloquent person so thank you for putting this into words.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
WTF is this a real opinion?. we should remove option from every game then because of how smart it is.

Interestingly the marketing itself shows off new QoL features intended for more hardcore players, like easier access to Egg moves and mints to change nature, as well as the feature described in the OP with the PC from anywhere. So the argument that the additional hours in development aren't worth it because few players will use this feature is weird to me, as they are clearly implementing and testing these new QoL features while still preserving the older and more difficult method, and I'm not sure to what degree the casual player will choose to use these mints or keep track of Egg moves.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Oh yeah here it is the new exp distribution.

l62tf29e1w731.jpg

This wasn't in XY or SM as far as I remember every pokemon would get the same exp which is why it was flawed to begin with and why it was required to turn off to prevent overleveled pokemon.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
In a few years GF will say "we see that most people today don't play games anymore, they just buy them and never play them so we decided to just charge you 60 bucks and not make any game, you don't have to play anything that way" and people will be like "oh okay that's fair, I don't even play Pokemon anymore, I'm gonna buy the game they won't make".

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly the marketing itself shows off new QoL features intended for more hardcore players, like easier access to Egg moves and mints to change nature, as well as the feature described in the OP with the PC from anywhere. So the argument that the additional hours in development aren't worth it because few players will use this feature is weird to me, as they are clearly implementing and testing these new QoL features while still preserving the older and more difficult method, and I'm not sure to what degree the casual player will choose to use these mints or keep track of Egg moves.

I know that and is something I like, but has nothing to do with removing this kind of options.

Its not a BIG deal, (unless the exp share keep sharing EVs, in that case I'll riot), but I dont care a lot about the game campaign (I like competitive play) but having my pokemons underlvl was the only way of having some kind of challenge, now they removed it just becuase few people used it?.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

l62tf29e1w731.jpg

This wasn't in XY or SM as far as I remember every pokemon would get the same exp which is why it was flawed to begin with and why it was required to turn off to prevent overleveled pokemon.

Exp scaling was in gen 7 (and in gen 5 though no party-wide exp share in that game). It helped reduce the overleveling aspect of the exp share from being 15-20 levels ahead of your opponents to 5-10, but while that's better that's still not enough for people looking for a challenge.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad. Neither is not having the option. That's just the way the game is designed. Why doesn't Dark Souls have an easy mode? Why does Dragon Ball FighterZ have an auto combo system? Why does Mario Kart Deluxe have me pick up two items rather than one?

It's just how things are and I go with it and have fun.
What if they forced auto correct steering and motion controls in Kart 8? Things that were options but now they "design the game that way"

Your argument can be used to justify any number of bad decisions and shows a complete lack of forethought.

While we're at it, lets design games with fixed brightness and inverted cameras. Subtitles always on and you cant skip cutscenes. as long as we design it that way its still a perfectly fine thing. Nobody should have any problem with it.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

l62tf29e1w731.jpg

This kind of exp distribution was in Gen 7. And your party still overleveled like crazy

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well good for you then. Glad you can celebrate the fact you have the option to do something that's been in multiple games now but my preferred option has been removed.

Don't worry I am glad. I don't go into every Pokemon thread looking to moan. Yesterday we had a topic called #ThankYouGameFreak about a trending hash tag but within 3 pages it was derailed and locked. In an industry where developers are treated poorly by fans and managers, we couldn't even have one positive topic about developers.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

"Ok so they removed all the Pokemon in the game that was meant to be for you hardcore players LMAO big deal, who cares about Maractus? The most popular ones are still going to be there, this is a non issue, stop acting like they're going to remove half of them. Shut up"

"Who cares about them removing options? You're just a minority thats's throwing a tantrum, all RPGS do this, ignore the fact that they have difficulty options, you're just a manbaby, shut up"

Coming up:

Great post. You should save this for later useage.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if they forced auto correct steering and motion controls in Kart 8? Things that were options but now they "design the game that way"

Your argument can be used to justify any number of bad decisions and shows a complete lack of forethought.

While we're at it, lets design games with fixed brightness and inverted cameras. Subtitles always on and you cant skip cutscenes as long as we design it that way its still a perfectly fine thing.

I've played games with those things and they are fine.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly really hate the concept of the Exp. Share working for every Pokemon and it is going to actively make my enjoyment of the game lesser. I don't like the idea of one of my Pokemon evolving or using a move when it doesn't participate in a battle as dumb as that is, and I used to always try to keep all of my Pokemon at the same level in every game. The Exp. Share actively prevents me from playing the way I would like to.

God, same. It also feels wrong to me for one of my Pokemon to evolve from a battle it never even appeared in. It fucks with how I like to interpret my journey (yes, I really care about being able to craft a narrative of my own when I play Pokemon, sorry lol). And just like you, I ALWAYS had to make sure that everyone was at the same level at all times. Once one mon gets to level 12, it's to the next in line to level 12, and the next and so on.

Having to take each Pokemon one by one out of the PC and alternate them in and out over and over is not a solution at all, and actually makes the whole thing way more complicated than just switching 'off' in a menu. It's also really lame the idea of never having your full team with you at all times just to keep them at the same level. It's a completely invalid workaround that doesn't give you the same experience as just having Exp. Share off.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I play with EXP Share on nowadays and to be honest going back to pre Gen 6 without it is a minor inconvenience that I am used to and adjust to quickly. But man is that a dismissive answer, even if I get it. However because of how dismissive it is is an issue in itself. On one hand their consumer base is indeed younger than their more passioned fans, on the other hand this is admist Nintendo reinvrnting the wheel so to speak, still appealing to younger and newer fans while adrrssing the growing issue of the makret in general in which their is always going to be an ever growing adult consumer base that will still buy their products. Being outright dismissive of that consumer base is flatout wrong, and relying on recycling your product every 5 or so years for a new batch of kids is gonna settle in a series decline as you continue to pass over the others. Nothing is too big to fail, even Pokemon.
As for people mentioning other RPGs, Pokemon has always been a single member RPG then a party RPG. It made sense and still makes sense that the battling member is the only member that gains experience, that is the whole point of the exp share, it shares its battle experience with the others. Removing the option to keep it like thst is a complete removal from that core tenant. It is in no way the same thing as other RPGs and dismissing the option with this comparison js factually wrong.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know that and is something I like, but has nothing to do with removing this kind of options.

Its not a BIG deal, (unless the exp share keep sharing EVs, in that case I'll riot), but I dont care a lot about the game campaign (I like competitive play) but having my pokemons underlvl was the only way of having some kind of challenge, now they removed it just becuase few people used it?.

Oh I'm not disagreeing, I just think their decision feels inconsistent with the otherwise solid approach they are taking.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
God, same. It also feels wrong to me for one of my Pokemon to evolve from a battle it never even appeared in. It fucks with how I like to interpret my journey (yes, I really care about being able to craft a narrative of my own when I play Pokemon, sorry lol). And just like you, I ALWAYS had to make sure that everyone was at the same level at all times. Once one mon gets to level 12, it's to the next in line to level 12, and the next and so on.

Having to take each Pokemon one by one out of the PC and alternate them in and out over and over is not a solution at all, and actually makes the whole thing way more complicated than just switching 'off' in a menu. It's also really lame the idea of never having your full team with you at all times just to keep them at the same level. It's a completely invalid workaround that doesn't give you the same experience as just having Exp. Share off.
Yeah, I know it's silly, but I also enjoy crafting a narrative in my head like that when I play Pokemon, and this actively messes with my ability to have fun in that sort of way. In Let's Go, I had to have 13 Pokemon rotating in and out to even feel okay with how the Exp. Share worked in that game, so I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with it in this game where I actually just want to have a core team of 6.

Not only that, but I also did the same thing, ordering my Pokemon in order from lowest to highest level on my team because it'd make me annoyed to not have them in order and not have them at the same level. Thanks Game Freak, I'm sure I'll have a good time with my team at weirdly fluctuating levels because I couldn't have an off switch because not enough people cared or whatever.

Nov 15, 2018

l62tf29e1w731.jpg

The thing is with this exp scaling, whenever the level gap starts to close, you start getting more exp which increases the gap again. This keeps you permanently overleveled.

If Gamefreak seriously wants to balance around exp share, then they would have to change every pokemons exp requirement, the levels which they evolve, the levels where they learn certain moves, etc. Basically way more work than just letting it be a toggle.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry I am glad. I don't go into every Pokemon thread looking to moan. Yesterday we had a topic called #ThankYouGameFreak about a trending hash tag but within 3 pages it was derailed and locked. In an industry where developers are treated poorly by fans and managers, we couldn't even have one positive topic about developers.
Sorry I don't accept everything GF is doing. I guess I shouldn't express disappointment with anything. Hey I never play online so hopefully they get rid of that next Gen.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Threads about software features are always a little painful to read.

From a software dev's perspective, what Game Freak did was efficient and smart. They preserved the ability to do something without writing any additional code.

A toggle would not be simple. From a technical standpoint, it at least doubles the complexity of any code that touches XP, doubling the codepaths the machine can take, and thus doubling the number of test cases in your automated and manual testing.

While long time fans might be put off by losing the feature, it makes a lot of sense, from a software design perspective, to lose it. It's a sign the game is being developed by experienced, competent people, which is good. Right?
giphy.gif

Not developing software during software development uuuuuh finds an efficient way

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018

The thing is, Pokemon has such a huge fanbase that even the "hardcore players" care about vastly differing things, depending on whom you ask. Since gen 6 GF have admittedly made it easier to get into competitive battling but they have done very little to please the subset of hardcore players asking for more challenge in the campaign and more involved postgame. That's my take on it, at least.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I've played games with those things and they are fine.
So not only have you played a game with forced motion steering that doesnt allow you off road, with fixed brightness and inverted camera controls with forced subtitles on unskippable cutscenes, but you'll play any game no matter how much it inconveniences you simply because "thats how it was made and you cant criticise it"

Is that what youre saying?

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday we had a topic called #ThankYouGameFreak about a trending hash tag but within 3 pages it was derailed and locked. In an industry where developers are treated poorly by fans and managers, we couldn't even have one positive topic about developers.
What even happened to that thread? Are we just not allowed to have positive threads now?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

"Who cares about them removing options like turning off EXP Share? You're just a minority thats's throwing a tantrum, all RPGS do this, ignore the fact that they have difficulty options, you're just a manbaby, shut up"

Coming up:

Please excuse the random notifications you'll get throughout the week as I link back to this post in other threads

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So not only have you played a game with forced motion steering that doesnt allow you off road, with fixed brightness and inverted camera controls with forced subtitles on unskippable cutscenes, but you'll play any game no matter how much it inconveniences you simply because "thats how it was made and you cant criticise it"

Don't complain, just consume product.

Thank you GF for removing an option I didn't know I don't need, I see how it should be now.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, Pokemon has such a huge fanbase that even the "hardcore players" can want vastly differing things. Since gen 6 GF have admittedly made it easier to get into competitive battling but they have done very little to please the subset of hardcore players asking for robust single player content and more involved postgame. That's my take on it, at least.

Of course, I'm just trying to make a point against the argument that 'it takes time to engineer and test a toggle that few people want or use', especially when it's a toggle that's been present in the previous games, and toggles like Shift vs. Set are probably still present. I think the option to disable this feature is much smaller in scope than adding hundreds of Pokemon or even adding in additional features for competitive play, so I just think it's a confusing decision.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I don't accept everything GF is doing. I guess I shouldn't express disappointment with anything. Hey I never play online so hopefully they get rid of that next Gen.

You're the one that started quoting me just because I said I like exp share. You're free to express displeasure but it happens in EVERY topic, it's like the cool aid man. I can make a topic asking what is everyone's fave Pokemon and someone will come in and say "BUT ABOUT THAT NEW POKEMON GAME..."

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Coming up:

It's funny, because judging on the Previews, they did away with all the hand holdy stuff from Sun and Moon.

There was also the whole stop complaining about not being able to use the Pro Controller in LET'S go, it was made for throwing pokeballs even though it has a gyro. And then we find out you can play the game fine in handheld mode, so LG didnt have Pro controller support for no good reason.

Contrite

Dec 12, 2017
I mean, I'd be fine with this.. If, the game was actually balanced around it (which I assume it will not), and there was a proper hard-mode available. The games were already easy to the point of making the actually good turn-based combat just boring, and that was before exp. share became party-wide and with no downsides. Even when you turn it off, a full party of six will usually be just as over-levelled as they were in the old games.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've played games with all of the above except the forced steering. I just carried on and played the game, that's what I am saying.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Game Freak, I love you!

This thread is still open and even brings up the hashtag, the thread specifically about the hashtag didn't result in any productive discussion. The official non-spoiler discussion thread is also predominantly positive as well as the leaks one, with people being excited about what they've seen. This is a thread about an option they removed, it's not really surprising that there's backlash.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's funny, because judging on the Previews, they did away with all the hand holdy stuff from Sun and Moon.

There was also the whole stop complaining about not being able to use the Pro Controller in LET'S go, it was made for throwing pokeballs even though it has a gyro. And then we find out you can play the game fine in handheld mode, so LG didnt have Pro controller support for no good reason.

I'm not going to pretend for a second that SS don't have some improvements, but as always with GF one step forward, three steps back.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dexit was absurd and overall much worse, but this decision comes off as even more idiotic considering a) its been on by default the last 2 generations, b) it adds some options for difficulty for people who want more of a challenge and c)there is literally no downside to have it as a toggle able option.

Just classic absurdly stupid moves by gamefreak people have been accustomed to.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
You're the one that started quoting me just because I said I like exp share. You're free to express displeasure but it happens in EVERY topic, it's like the cool aid man. I can make a topic asking what is everyone's fave Pokemon and someone will come in and say "BUT ABOUT THAT NEW POKEMON GAME..."

Well, this one is about them removing a feature though, it's kinda implied people will be disappointed, maybe you should save that discontent about people complaining for these other threads.