• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which would impress you more 20yrs ago?

• Switch

Votes: 788 58.6%
  • PS4 Pro

Votes: 556 41.4%

• Total voters

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I think the PS4 would be impressive, but it would be what I expected... the gr

Yeah, but portables weren't even 3D... the jump is way bigger.

0WYEQuG.png

Yeah, I think phones have altered people's expectations in regards of what is possible in portable gaming, and they don't appreciate how it was 20 years ago.

Like you expect games to look like CG movies in 20 years, seeing a portable console with a 720p screen in 1999 with unseen graphcis is such a massive double whammy.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing a Turbo Express in 1990 felt more high tech than playing a Switch in 2017. PS4 would have impressed me more in 1999 for the VR alone.

This thread really shows how limited most people's portable experiences were in the '90s but it's understandable given the average age here and the niche market for higher end portables back then.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I and everyone at the scene would be asking the same question:

"Why the fuck does PS4pro games look so much better than the Switch?"

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
PS4 Pro by far.

Switch wouldn't really be that mind-blowing for me. Handheld systems were always about a generation behind consoles and the Switch is no different. The GBA was in the ballpark of the SNES, as the DS was with N64, 3DS with Gamecube and now the Switch with Xbox 360 gen.

We already had model 3 games then and the Dreamcast was out in Japan with screenshots were all over the internet. I'd be much more impressed by the leap to PS4 Pro than to Switch. Could also show them a Blu-ray on the PS4.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo just had a habit of becoming complacent with dominance in the handheld sector and releasing outdated hardware because they knew they could get away with it.
This is a bad take.

The appeal of the Gameboy line was the price of entry; Nintendo dominated that segment because of their cheap hardware, not in spite of it. If you had money to burn and wanted a strong system, you'd get something stronger than a handheld form factor could give you, same as you would now. Battery tech at the time also made the systems your mentioned kinda bleh.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most popular portable platform back then were the Gameboy and Gameboy Color since the GBA came out in 2001.

The Switch would've been some wild shit back then. It can also sports some PS4 games like DBFZ, which 10 years old me would've killed to play anything close to that.

ALSO, imagine BOTW releasing between OoT and MM. :lol

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Nintendo has resorted to streaming multiplats to the switch because there are some games (AC Odyssey, RE7) it flat out can't run that were designed for the PS4/XB1. And those games were designed for the base consoles, not the Pro (there is nothing designed to run on the Pro).

Anything ACTUALLY DESIGNED to run only on the Pro would be a solid generation past the switch in every respect, and flat out impossible to run on nintendo's hardware.

I don't know what your trying to prove here because what you said does not really change what I said. And of course a game designed for the Pro would be way more advanced then a switch game, but that's not what I suggested.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Playing a Turbo Express in 1990 felt more high tech than playing a Switch in 2017. PS4 would have impressed me more in 1999 for the VR alone.

This thread really shows how limited most people's portable experiences were in the '90s but it's understandable given the average age here and the niche market for higher end portables back then.

By that metric playing Crysis in 2007 felt more impressive than playing a PS4 Pro in 2016, or playing on a high end PC on any given year. It's not about comparing how impressed you were when it released, it's taking both consoles and sending them to 1999 (with an OLED TV).

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the switch, but honesty it's hard to say. I don't think I'd believe that God of War is a game.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
This is easy, with 1 game you could show that the PS4 is a graphical powerhouse but that's about it. You'd need a range of games to show all the things the Switch was capable of from HD rumble to motion controls to the touch screen all things that would be unbelievable on a portable in 1999. The PS4 has the edge on things like online but in 1999 it would be unavailable so that's a moot point. Heck the fact that some games look comparable on both systems really works more in favor of the Switch. If VR were considered then it would be tough but as it stands Switch in 1999 would still be the full experience as it's a portable versus the PS4 would be missing tons of components to get everything out of it.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I had voted Switch first due to the incredible form factor, but then I started considering the games I played back in 1998. If someone had shown Re2 remake, I would have flipped out. Spider-man? Man, all of my friends would drool.

So, it's not really about the console, but the games. PS4 Pro or not, hands down due to the games that resonated with me.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By that metric playing Crysis in 2007 felt more impressive than playing a PS4 Pro in 2016, or playing on a high end PC on any given year. It's not about comparing how impressed you were when it released, it's taking both consoles and sending them to 1999 (with an OLED TV).
I was pointing out that some of us played high tech console/portable hybrids a long time ago so we are less likely to have been blown away by that concept in 1999 than people introduced to that by the Switch. By contrast, there wasn't proper home VR at the time so that's something in the PS4's favour.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I was a weird kid 20 years ago. Chances are I would be too scared of the PS4 Pro to even touch it but I would come around to the Switch.
Kinda like if a time traveler from 2039 came over to me and showed me two gaming platforms- the first that fed a direct feed to my brain and a second that augmented my reality with special contact lenses.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
The poll is about me, not about what I think somebody else thinks "Which do you think you would be more impressed by, and why? "

I have simply always preferred playing on tv with a big display versus handheld.

You might prefer portable and willing to trade off a massive delta in performance to have a game on the go and voted Switch, that's fine.

My thoughts are objective. I prefer the vastly superior visuals of the PS4 over the Switch.
Right but if you're just answering what you like the most then the question might as well be "which do you prefer". The time travel angle is for you to think about what someone in 1999 would think

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I was pointing out that some of us played high tech console/portable hybrids a long time ago so we are less likely to have been blown away by that concept in 1999 than people introduced to that by the Switch. By contrast, there wasn't proper home VR at the time so that's something in the PS4's favour.

Honestly I have tried a bit of PSVR on stores and I didn't think it was anything special. It looks worse than playing on your TV. Maybe it was because I haven't tried a game specially made for VR. VR is excluded from the premise of the thread though.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, the Game Boy Advance wasn't released until March 21, 2001.

kc7bXFB.jpg

W7LF0Sh.jpg

We expected photorealistic graphics 20 years ago - not that games wouldn't still wow us. But no one would have expected the Switch. Handheld multiplayer without link cables? Rechargable batteries? Touch screen? Motion controls? A magical system that gave you photorealistic graphics on the go and at home?

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Yea that one I'll disagree with.
If you allow PS2 to run 8x lower resolution AND half the framerate - you could not only replicate every shader-path from XBox - you could improve on it.

Nah - PSP received a ton of 360/PS3 multiplats, where there's sales, there'll be ports, tech limitations must be truly absurd (something like 360-GBA) for ports not to happen.

The thing is though you are talking about hypotheticals, In reality the xbox could have games like doom 3 + half life 2 because of its gpu more advanced feature set. Its a very close thing.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Right but if you're just answering what you like the most then the question might as well be "which do you prefer". The time travel angle is for you to think about what someone in 1999 would think

I would be far more impressed with the PS4. My stance in 1999 was similar, I was not into portable gaming then either (yes I had some in prior years but never spend much time with portable gaming). Something with such insane visuals like Uncharted 4 and the set pieces are far more impressive to me than anything I've seen or played on my Switch. That is the answer to the question in the OP regardless i you don't share a similar view.

edit here is the OP for you:

"It's 1st of July 1999 and You are happily playing, driver, Mario bros deluxe, beetle adventure racing, FF8 or other games of that era, and a time traveller shows up and has a PS4 Pro hooked to a 4k OLED with its best games, she also has a switch docked and undocked with all its best games.

Which do you think you would be more impressed by, and why?

Edit: time traveller Kelly didn't bring the PSVR or switch cardboard VR. She wanted this to be a 2d screen comparison. "

Hands down I would be graviting towards the PS4 and not the Switch. I would of course want to play Zelda, etc but the PS4 would be massively more appealing and not surprising that is how I feel today.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Color me unsurprised to see who won the poll on Era.

Personally, Horizon on the Pro would have left my jaw on the floor for consecutive weeks

8tYWE0S.gif

ZCOmASh.gif

6OLUTpQ.gif
I've gotta be honest: this was the first game I was thinking of with impressing on PS4, and it's what can make this a serious face off for me rather than TOTALLY "but the portability!" There's even a good chance both would be equally impressive in that the jump in graphical fidelity is mind blowing, while the Switch has graphics that stomp the Dreamcast into oblivion, nevermind other consoles, but is a totally portable system with a huge, really sharp screen! And BotW compared to OoT... really, both of those games are going to look like what I had hoped out of OoT going 3D back in 96.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
3199076-img_8820.jpg

To be honest, this type of pic is why I'm even most impressed with Switch in present day. Even here doesn't do it justice because you can detach those joy cons which make it look 40% bigger than it is and then we are talking true size. The fact that little thing can play DOOM is crazy to me.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
PS4 Pro for sure. As someone who grew up gaming in the 80's, I'm always impressed by how far technology has come in the past 35+ years. Games like Bloodborne, Uncharted, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God of War? I'd be floored. I love the Switch, but I was more of a console gamer than a portable gamer back in '99, so the PS4 Pro would impress me more, for sure.

EDIT: The portability of the Switch would have definitely impressed me, but the sheer quantum leap in visuals compared to what we were getting in '99 would have blown me away much more. I wouldn't have been able to wrap my head around something like Uncharted 4 or Horizon: Zero Dawn visually. 19 year old me was much more impressed with visuals and how the industry was pushing them back then.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
only because nintendo didnt really push handheld hardware

this was also possible 20 years ago

IMG_6080.jpg

to be fair that PS1 still required an outlet to power on. It just had a mini screen at the time so you didn't need to hook it up to a television.
I wanted one of those... But my parents thought it was a waste.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portable machines have never impressed me (including the Vita) so I would have wanted a ps4 pro for sure.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
If I was the time traveller, I would show the 1999 kid Sonic Mania and Shovel Knight. 'Yes son, this is the best games in their respective genre. We can't do better in 2019".

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'd have been blown away by either console's +480i resolutions, and the TV itself. And then both of those machines offer sleep mode?!

The graphics of either system back then would have been equally mind blowing given the fidelity at the time, especially while playing the best games on each. I voted Switch though, because I'm still blown away by the docked/undocked transition.

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Would probably have to go PS4Pro + the TV. Something like Witcher 3 would have been absolutely mind blowing back then. It was cool enough in 2016. Also there's GTAV.

Edit

How freaking weird would it have been though to pop in a music CD. "What the. My PS1 plays these".

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I dunno, honestly. Either one would blow my mind. They just would be impressive in different ways. Raw power vs. versatility.

Actually, just display technology would be amazing

Plus the little things like gyro aim and touch. I wouldn't have a good frame of reference for any of it

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
You and everyone seriously wouldn't understand the linear relationship between visual performance and a system's size? How do you comprehend the difference today if that is the case?
Yes, the switch tablet or the 4K screen running Horizon ZD. The bigger one with better graphics absolutely would have been more impressive.

Many of us would wonder why the Sony outshines the Nintendo to such a degree.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the switch tablet or the 4K screen running Horizon ZD. The bigger one with better graphics absolutely would have been more impressive.

Many of us would wonder why the Sony outshines the Nintendo to such a degree.
I don't think you appreciate just how much progress handheld and portable technology has had over the last 20 years. The Game Boy Advance was covered on the national news back in 2001 when it launched. I distinctly remember segments on good morning america and other national programs.

PS4 would be futuristic tech. Switch would be alien tech

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you appreciate just how much progress handheld and portable technology has had over the last 20 years. The Game Boy Advance was covered on the national news back in 2001 when it launched. I distinctly remember segments on good morning america and other national programs.
I don't know man. With handhelds it's always "it's impressive... for a handheld."

I've always went with what was more capable hardware wise as that's always been more important. Portability always seemed like a novelty and quite frankly does nothing for me.

The Switch would undoubtedly be very impressive, but if you put them next to each other, many people would notice the drastic difference. Handhelds are cool, but the Pro just puts out far more impressive things visually, as it should.

A lot of people are saying they love handhelds and that's why they would be so impressed by it, but others have the opposite train of thought. If I was shown a handheld and only a handheld, I'd wonder what could be done of a futuristic PC or full size console.

Just food for thought. There's no right or wrong here.

Oct 25, 2017
Not even lying 20 years ago if a time traveler showed up with a 3DS I think that would impress me the most.

A hand held that can play ocarina of time at graphics that look better than the N64
While also being able to do 3D without glasses
While also having two cameras?!
And has internet connectivity?!!??!

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Having just played Smash 64 a few months earlier, my 1999 brain would have exploded if you showed me Mario and the 70ish other playable Nintendo characters in Ultimate fighting Cloud, Snake, Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow, Simon, Richter, Alucard, Mega Man, Zero, Ryu, Ken, Guile, Zero, Bomberman...

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man. With handhelds it's always "it's impressive... for a handheld."

I've always went with what was more capable hardware wise as that's always been more important. Portability always seemed like a novelty and quite frankly does nothing for me.

The Switch would undoubtedly be very impressive, but if you put them next to each other, many people would notice the drastic difference. Handhelds are cool, but the Pro just puts out far more impressive things visually, as it should.

A lot of people are saying they love handhelds and that's why they would be so impressed by it, but others have the opposite train of thought. If I was shown a handheld and only a handheld, I'd wonder what could be done of a futuristic PC or full size console.

Just food for thought. There's no right or wrong here.
I don't think it's just that the Switch is a powerful handheld, but it also has various gimmicks such as the touchscreen and the motion-controlled Joycons and easily switching to tv mode all in one that would be impressive to many people in 1999--especially when most folks were used to NES-quality handhelds and touchscreens and motion controls weren't ubiquitous as they are now. As someone else mentioned even something like ARMs would be impressive to many people.

ZeDorguinh

Banned
Feb 10, 2019
Why ppl get impressed by ps4 pro, the console run most of its games at 2k.

If i got impressed is by One X.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017

Seriously. I would laugh at this peasant hardware Kelly brought over.

For real, though... My mind would be blown to bits about equally by what would be presented. The relative graphical jump would be insane regardless, and the state of portables wasn't great at the time.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Switch would've looked like witchcraft to me 20 years ago. Being able to seamlessly have a portable and home-console solution all in one device was a pretty exciting idea even 2 years ago when the console launched.

Though the PS4 absolutely would have stunned me as well. Both graphical leaps would look phenomenal coming off the N64/PS1.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Right, it's all about the amount of pixels the Pro or base PS4 put out and not at all about the stunning visual art of Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War or Spider-Man only found on these consoles.

This is what would have excited me back then and what still excites me:

Last edited:

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
Both would be jaw dropping...

And I'd honestly be more impressed by the 4k OLED screen... So playing on that with the PS4 Pro would be more impressive, I guess.