• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which would impress you more 20yrs ago?

• Switch

Votes: 788 58.6%
  • PS4 Pro

Votes: 556 41.4%

• Total voters
Feb 10, 2018
It's 1st of July 1999 and You are happily playing, driver, Mario bros deluxe, beetle adventure racing, FF8 or other games of that era, and a time traveller shows up and has a PS4 Pro hooked to a 4k OLED with its best games, she also has a switch docked and undocked with all its best games.

Which do you think you would be more impressed by, and why?

Edit: time traveller Kelly didn't bring the PSVR or switch cardboard VR. She wanted this to be a 2d screen comparison.

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I already knew what a portable console was 20 years ago due to the GameBoy, so the better graphics would impress me more probably... so PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the switch. But my immediate thoughts would be why is a time traveller travelling around with a big ol TV

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
back in 1999 Nintendo could do no wrong to me. Coming off of Ocarina of Time and Pokemon G/S along with Majora's Mask were on the horizon. I'd probably drop dead from excitement. My 14th year was a great year for video games.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
"What's a HDMI?"

Either would have been insanely impressive back then

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The PS4pro is not even the most powerful pro console?

I'd be more impressed with the Switch from a portable perspective.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I think a 65 in OLED would impress me far more than either a PS4 Pro or Switch if you had any 4k HDR content to show on it...

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Switch would have blown my mind. I was used to consoles getting better and better. I wasn't used to a handheld that incredible. I've always gravitated towards handheld though.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Its the ps4 pro. Vastly better graphics, vastly better audio, vastly better library, a robust online network, the only system with VR, and its the only system with Spiderman on it.

Switch isnt even in the same ballpark as that thing.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd think the switch would be a cool idea, not having to buy two separate systems, but the ps4 Pro games would be what really impresses me. If I took it literally though and I was still a pokemon kid, the switch would be probably be more exciting just for Pokemon.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Death Stranding
God of War 2018
Spider Man
Detroit: Become Human

These games would look like other-worldly technology 20 years ago.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
going from neo geo pocket color to far beyond dreamcast on the go is a massive leap, so that.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Switch until I'd see SwSh, I'd tell you we already have those gfx on gameboy

kidding

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I picked the pro because I feel it has the most visualy impressive selection of games, but it could be a 1X or modern PC if you wanted.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
the switch would probably be the biggest wow factor, both ps4 and switch graphics would have been crazy, not sure the difference there would really matter between the two.
bringing a switch then would be like bringing a pc-engine GT to people early in the nes/sms gen

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Tablet/Smart phone, a decade before that was possible, also both Joycons are motion controllers with games to show how that works? I think it's clearly the Switch. I expected a console with graphics like the PS4 back when the Matrix came out, I didn't expect a phone/tablet that was like the switch with motion controls and docks to a TV like it does...

In the end I'd be excited about both types of devices though.

Mar 23, 2018
In 2016, not even 4 years ago, I was impressed at the fact you could do something like this:

landscape-1477066125-giphy-4.gif

It was an awesome reveal. I heard the rumors but I did not expect something so sleek.

PS4 and One, on the other hand, I think it's what we all expected consoles to go with. Heck, something like the DS, Vita or even Wii U might be even more surprising for a person from 1999, hahaha.

Aug 1, 2018
The Switch.

Seeing Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey running in handheld would absolutely blow my 1999 self's mind

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
PS4 and One, on the other hand, I think it's what we all expected consoles to go with. Heck, something like the DS, Vita or even Wii U might be even more surprising for a person from 1999, hahaha.
If you showed someone a PSP in 1999 and told them "this will be out in 5 years," it would have blown their mind lol. Imagine being told that we'd go from Game Boy Color to PSP in less than one generation.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seen decent CGI and tech demos so knew where graphics were heading. But a handheld/console hybrid that you could switch on th fly and play console quality game would have been the more impressive feat.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Easily ps4 pro

I was old enough to have perspective of the huge leap it would show the industry took

We'd have gone from Spidey 1 on psone to Spider-Man ps4
I'd see an actually great Batman game collection with Arkham games
Games like destiny by themselves would floor me in not only seeing fps work on consoles but an integrated online world
Then to see Re2 remake after playing re2 fairly recently
Ff7 to ff7 remake
And the games go on and on

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I just been playing zelda BOTW in my bed and it really blows me away.
No doubt uncharted 4, RDR2, god of war etc would blow my mind, but seeing zelda Botw, wolf 2, Mario kart 8, skyrim etc would blow my mind, because I didn't know much about graphics then and a game like wolf 2 or doom with there fancy shaders and stuff would still be a huge leap from N64 games AND IT'S PORTABLE AND A HOME CONSOLE!

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
PS4 is a console that anyone expected back than as a console of the future, probably it could be a disappointment because graphics made substantial leaps each gen back than, but that stopped years ago and its more baby steps now.

Switch would be a truly futuristic device that would blow people away.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The switch concept with the detachable joycons. Portable but also dockable on a tv, with the visuals it can have like mario odyssey and a zelda game like breath of the wild.

Gonna have to go with switch yeah

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 2016, not even 4 years ago, I was impressed at the fact you could do something like this:

landscape-1477066125-giphy-4.gif

It was an awesome reveal. I heard the rumors but I did not expect something so sleek.

No, you are right. We all knew graphics were going to keep getting better and more realistic. None thought we would be playing big budget, 3D console type games on a handheld.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trick question, we didn't have HDMI back then so they would've just been bricks - except that the Switch had its own screen. Switch wins by default.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
For me it would be switch. I've always wanted a truly portable console. It's been a dream of mine for 25+ years. Seamlessly move between couch and portable play. The boundaries are gone. If I had seen it 20 years ago my jaw would still be working its way off the floor.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
If you showed someone a PSP in 1999 and told them "this will be out in 5 years," it would have blown their mind lol. Imagine being told that we'd go from Game Boy Color to PSP in less than one generation.

There were already portables better than the GBC by the time it released in 1998.

The atari lynx was 1989, The sega nomad was 1995, and the turboexpress portable was 1990. The Neo Geo pocket color and wonderswan color followed the GBC shortly in 1999, also both vastly better hardware.

Nintendo just had a habit of becoming complacent with dominance in the handheld sector and releasing outdated hardware because they knew they could get away with it.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
First time i saw a Dreamcast game screen on a magazine, i thought it was real life levels of graphics, so i probably wouldn't even tell the difference between PS4 and Switch hardware power, back then. Switch would be more impressive just for being a portable.

Even a Vita would be more impressive than a PS4 pro, in this context, i guess.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Obviously Pro. I'm also assuming PSVR games are included in this? VR blows my mind now. 20 years ago me trying PSVR...my brain would have exploded.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Switch graphics would blow me away in 1999. Then you picked it up and walked away from the TV with it? What the fuuuuck?! PS4Pro would also be mind-blowing. Not sure which I'd pick tbh. Hmm. I'll say Switch but it's closer than just "one or the other".

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i thought 6th gen was more or less the the pinnacle of what games could do until i got into PC earlier this decade. i would've been blown away by both, my brain didn't process fps/resolution differences then. maybe if i spent hours and hours with them i could begin to discern why switch was technically inferior