• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you prefer Dragon Quest XI or Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Votes: 497 45.2%
  • Dragon Quest XI

Votes: 602 54.8%

• Total voters

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Xenoblade 2, even with all the field skill bullshit it is still one of the most ambitious and enjoyable anime JRPG this gen.

DQXI feels kinda generic and boring old JRPG, probably because of the stiff animations and combat system.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
This is a poll where it's actually difficult to decide. Went with Xenoblade because I had more fun with it. Still, DQ XI is higher quality throughout imo.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest XI by miles and miles. Classic to it's core, and a great homage to RPGs of the past. It does a great job with characters in the main party, Sylvando, Serena + Veronica, and Eight stick out. It does have a huge weakness in the music which the Switch port could only moderately fix, as there wasn't an incredible amount of new music.

Xenoblade 2 was a really great time for me until the gacha really set in. I really don't enjoy that part of the game and will never replay it again due to that.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's actually Torna because that has a soundtrack as brilliant as XBC2 without (most) of the bullshit that comes with the main game and isn't as bloated as either.

I can't vote for either DQXI or XBC2 because they're both too flawed in their own right. The best RPG on the system is still FFXII.

Shame you have to play through the main game to enjoy Torna. I am finding Xenoblade 2 really tough to get into despite loving Xenoblade 1

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I have to say both games are really great JRPGs. If I had to pick I would pick Dragon Quest XI, but not by much.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played XBC2, but I played the first one and it wasn't for me. I also love Dragon Quest, and XI is a fantastic one of those.

This is very much my opinion, but hey, that's what you asked for.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The first Xenoblade is a top 5 game for me, all-time, to put things in perspective.

And If I like one more than the other, it's Xenoblade 2, but it's close. Xenoblade 2 has a good bit of irritating bullshit in it (swapping blades for field skills, way more anime than necessary, GACHA) that makes it so close, and I cant deny that DQXIS is stellar, and a HUGE upgrade over the original release in terms of QoL. Might as well say I likke them both equally, though in a little bit we'll be getting an upgraded version of a far better game than both in Xenoblade.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I've never played XB2 so I can't judge it as a game, but some of the character designs are down right off-putting in my eyes. Some characters looks like kids and run around in underwear and just unnecessary revealing clothing in general.

Dragon Quest XI is good tho!

banter

Jan 12, 2018
They are both very good. XC2 has very fan servicey designs for characters and a lot more deep/convoluted mechanics. Depending on how you feel about those things (whether they are a pro or con) will really determine your choice imo.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019

The best character on the game! Ironically, Eleven is the worst. I liked the rest of the group, but not Eleven design. DQVIII main character had more personality.

I played and completed both XC2 and DQXIS, and I prefer DQXIS overall. Didn´t play Torna, is really worth it after two years of beating XC2?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved DQXI and Xenoblade 2 was possibly the most disappointing game I've ever played so not really much of a contest

Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo
I will have to rank them both as a tie. It's a tough choice because both games were phenomenal and very long entertaining jrpgs. It's hard to say which is better.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
idn´t play Torna, is really worth it after two years of beating XC2?
Definitely yes, I played a year and a half later and the scenes of the game were still pretty strong to me, though I remembered the majority of the plot of the original game. It's an incredibly charming expansion and, to an extent and in the right proportion, even a better game.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Let's look at it this way. XI is the best in its respective series and XB2 is the worst.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love both games so much and played each for over 100 hours.

But I think DQ11 edges it out a bit cause the combat is better

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was chuckling as I opened the thread thinking it's not even a question but damn at that poll.

For me it's DQ11S. Xenoblade 2 couldve been a genuine masterpiece on the system if it wasn't so fucking thirsty to the point where it undermines the plot and great combat. I still prefer the combat from DQ11S tho but thats definitely me being nostalgic.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I played 250 hours of Xenoblade 2 but couldn't make it through the demo of DQXI. I swear that the 5 or so hours I spent on the demo were the most mindnumbingly boring 5 hours I have ever spent playing games. I was willing to give it a try even after disliking the Dragon Quest Builders demos and was surprised at how bland it was. I wish I could see what other people see in that game.

I love the gameplay in DQ11 Switch once you get a full party (which is about when the demo ends) and if you add draconian mods (since it's too easy otherwise). I love the crafting system, I love the edge of your seat boss fights where you're constantly swapping characters in and out, I like the cast. The gameplay has a level of polish you rarely see in RPGs.

I gave Xenoblade 2 maybe 10 hours and it felt like a big downgrade from both Xenoblade 1 & Xenoblade X to me. Maybe I'll give it another try sometime, but it's not like the Switch is lacking for JRPGs.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
It would be really hard for me to pick between them.... they are both some of my favorite games ever. I think Dragon Quest 11 is overall higher quality but they really compliment each other well. XB2 is better at exploring and side stuff and if you get into the game there is a ton to dig into, especially with the DLC.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
DQ11 gets an edge, even though I played it on PS4, but I really liked the entire XC2 package with the DLC/expansion. Both are worth your time.

Avacyn

Jan 14, 2020
I like Dragon Quest XI quite a bit, being one of my favorite 3D RPG titles. I was glad that the Switch version fixed some minor nitpicks that I had with the original game. It has a charming story and world with memorable characters that made me laugh and cry.

I wasn't really sold on Xenoblade 2. A lot of the stuff in the game just didn't work for me even though the gameplay was mostly solid as far as such things go. I also wasn't a fan of the characters and voice acting.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Hmm, which game treated the vast majority of its female characters like a butcher shop buffet of female body parts on display for male consumption? Oh yeah, XC2. Yeah, fuck that game.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Definitely yes, I played a year and a half later and the scenes of the game were still pretty strong to me, though I remembered the majority of the plot of the original game. It's an incredibly charming expansion and, to an extent and in the right proportion, even a better game.

For what I saw, it looked like a very much better game (in all aspects, character design, plot, gameplay). Gonna try it soon, then. Thanks!

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Xenoblade has too much shit going on that prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could have. Field skills being the worst of it all, as they just stopped me from progressing too often. I feel like they only put those in there to justify the gatcha system they put in place, of which I was also not a fan.

Dragon Quest, on the other hand was pure bliss from beginning to end, with only the slightest of pacing problems at certain points. Nothing like the road blocks in XB2 though. I feel like the game's simplicity in design made it much more approachable, in my opinion, and that's why I enjoyed it so much more. Definitely my favorite RPG of the generation.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I think both are at least worth trying. I thought both were fine but not spectacular.

Don't waste your time on pokemon Sw/Sh though those game are actual garbage.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Quest XI by far. Its long run is full of content. Xenoblade 2's run is full of padding.

In one you are making progress, in the other you are gated for everything you do with submenus upon submenus upon submechanics.

Let's put it this way: if you want to have fun, play DQXI. If you want to clock to work on your switch, play XBC2.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Having played and beat both, I would personally take Dragon Quest.. It was just such a supremely beautiful and well made game, a pleasure to play from beginning to end, and I love the whole old school mechanics ripped from the 80s/early 90s meets game with modern graphics & QoL vibe.

Xenoblade 2 is also great, and its certainly a more ambitious game, and has a lot more going on in terms of its open world, realtime combat systems with tons of layers, depth of story, and various systems in play- parts of it definintely soars, but there is also some clunk to it. (performance issues, its mindboggling use of a gacha system when it comes to developing your party and its abilities (which later in the game play into abilities needed traversal, so its not like you can skip this system, terrible mapping system, etc.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Quest XI is the objectively better game. It looks better. It's more fun to navigate. I enjoyed the combat much more. It has a better all-around cast. It's more focused.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a more interesting poll in the future will compare Dragon Quest XI S to Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

I have far too many issues with Xenoblade 2 to give it a vote. It's a very good game, but man, it actively wants me to hate it.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Try the demo of DQ at least, but I loved XC2 since I prefer the more active battle system.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I've only gotten through act 1 of DQ11 and I think it is basically a fine game so far but a little by the numbers. I don't think it's possible for the rest of the game to be bad enough to make the game worse than Xenoblade 2 though, which is one of my least favorite games ever

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade is so purely mediocre compared with such an excellent game that is dqxi... Not even fair

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
DQXI has the distinct advantage of not looking like hot garbage in portable mode, so it has that going for it right away.

I also far prefer DQXI's combat system.

...and fuck T'orah.