• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Anyone remember this? Watching this now is a very good laugh

Basically says the switch has failed before it was even released through out the whole video and at the very end calls it another Wii U

I've never understood the appeal of these "snarky asshole condescending millenial lectures you for fifteen minutes about videogames" videos.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hopefully this finally kills the 'Nintendo aren't competing with Sony/MS' narrative that some folks like to push, but I doubt it.

Huge congrats to Nintendo. It's great to see them doing so well again.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to reminisce on the Switch reveal because I remember a ton of people being positive about it, just seeing Gaf be mad like they always got.

Did think it was too expensive myself, but Zelda at launch was all i needed.
At the midnight launch, I saw a massive 300 person line just to get it. Felt pretty comfortable in its success vs Wii U where I went at TRU at 10am and only had like 6 people waiting for one

The reveal was everything I had hoped for always trusted the Hybrid would work out. Sadly DLC for MK8D never did come outside of what we got in the launch but the post launch support for Splatoon 2, Kirby, Xenoblade 2, Arms has been stellar:

Mar 13, 2015
I don't think Nintendo is able to do anything in terms of raising the amount of consoles being sold. The main thing they need to focus on is getting a lot of people who own the Wii U to buy the games they are publishing. Support the Wii U until 2016/2017 and than release their Hybrid Console. The main thing I feel is going to be that they continue having backwards compatibility and allow games developed for their handheld to be rendered for their Console. Thus consolidating their efforts as opposed to having to develop games and generate support for two different devices.
I think they need to focus on support games like they have done for Mario Kart 8, one DLC every 6 months for games like Splatoon, Start Fox, Zelda U, SSB would ensure additional revenue. Making DLC like the one for Mario Kart 8 on Splatoon for example would be fantasic - adding modes for the game or new stages/weapons/characters/customization

May 7, 2015
There is just too many consideration about being in control of a market place for Nintendo to step away right now, in fact creating a unified market place for their next Hybrid Console might be their main focus right now.

The first year line-up was crazy good.
The only thing I thought is that it would sell "only" 8-10 million by the end of 2017, it ended up doing much better than that.
Overall I thought price would be more of a limiting factor but that feeling ended up changing after we all realized how successful the launch was. I quickly changed my tune:

Mar 10, 2017
I'm honestly expecting 60 million Switch devices to be shipped in about three years - 15 million by the end of 2017

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely remember the industry at large being tepid about the Switch around the time of the January Presentation. Colin wasn't alone in feeling like this. Even after the Switch launched, I remember seeing plenty of doubt. Things didn't really turn around until 2017's holiday.

Colin's fault (besides being an outright asshole) is that he let personal feelings enter into evaluating the Switch.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely remember the industry at large being tepid about the Switch around the time of the January Presentation. Colin wasn't alone in feeling like this. Even after the Switch launched, I remember seeing plenty of doubt. Things didn't really turn around until 2017's holiday.
Yea, this one was esp good though, he was very against it, cursing and everything

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed! To be clear, those weren't my arguments as I always felt the Switch hardware was compelling and that it was instantly recognizable why, based on the first videos showing it.

Just wanted to point out for those that may not remember what some of the counterpoints were from those that did feel Switch would struggle.
I have a bunch of friends who have Switches, in my opinion though the hardware really is not compelling. For me as a consumer I would be more attracted to it if the specifications were closer to the other 8th gen consoles.

But I'm not gonna be biased about it. I never doubted that the Switch would be a massive success and I never cared much for the arguments of those who did. Maybe a large portion of those folks thought the Switch would flop coz the Wii U left a bad taste in their mouths

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The success is absolutely amazing considering their strategy was essentially doing the WiiU again but better

Not many companies would have looked at a complete failure like the WiiU and just blamed themselves for bad marketing or execution
it wasn't.
The asymmetric gameplay, the unique interaction between two screens and Miiverse were axed for Switch and the touch controls importance was greatly reduced.
The goal Nintendo set with the WiiU was to reunite the family in the living room and make them interact each other through the unique use of the GamePad (+ wiimotes), it also integrated a self owned forum within the console OS.
WiiU was Nintendo take on a "social" console.
This is a video where Iwata explained well what were Nintendo objectives with WiiU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkPdAWfFjI

The goal Nintendo set with the Switch was to deliver the convenience to play anywhere, anytime and how you want for people that had little time due to a busy life.
To do so they started from one feature that was broken on WiiU (off screen play that only work when close to the console) and made it work by using a modular approach to let the player configurate quickly his play style as he need.

EDIT:
The general strategy is the same between Wii, WiiU and Switch that is to solve some kind of problem by using Nintendo unique integration between hardware and software.
However the result vary wildly based on the problem to solve and the execution.
Wii (and DS) was designed to solve the problem of more inexpert people who were too afraid to play videogame due to the complexity of the game controllers.
The solution was to introduce easier to understand/use input interfaces and making games around them that highlighted the improved approachability.
WiiU was designed to reunite people around the GamePad with game ideas that used the centrality of the GamePad and the interaction between the two different screens available (TV and the one on the GamePad) to deliver fun experiences and to encourage social interaction with a built in within the OS social forum.
Switch was designed with the goal to maximize the chance of a consumer had to play videogames in his spare time or for example to improve the chance to set up a local multiplayer session.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Hopefully this finally kills the 'Nintendo aren't competing with Sony/MS' narrative that some folks like to push, but I doubt it.
When most people say this, I think they mean that Nintendo isn't trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft on a product feature basis (or, lately, even on price).

They're all clearly fighting for mindshare, time, and dollars.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a great year for the Switch in Japan and the USA, but I wonder how it fares worldwide overall. It'd be interesting to compare the launch aligned worldwide sales of the Switch and the PS4.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
When most people say this, I think they mean that Nintendo isn't trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft on a product feature basis (or, lately, even on price).

No, they say all sorts of things, usually that they're chasing different markets or audiences. Look around man you see it all the time.

My reply has always been that Nintendo makes consoles and games, which makes them a direct competitor, regardless of console feature sets.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It's been a great year for the Switch in Japan and the USA, but I wonder how it fares worldwide overall. It'd be interesting to compare the launch aligned worldwide sales of the Switch and the PS4.

What I'd give for definitive world wide sales numbers (broken down by country!). I've thought about that way too much lol

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think that was more that zhuge basically copy/pasted tweets that Mat had already sent out making the claim "tweets from our very own zhuge" amusing

NPD hasn't publicly put out the data I included in most of those tweets. The data in those tweets comes direct from Nintendo of America.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, they say all sorts of things, usually that they're chasing different markets or audiences. Look around man you see it all the time.

My reply has always been that Nintendo makes consoles and games, which makes them a direct competitor, regardless of console feature sets.

neither of those things are incorrect though. I mean, you'd have to do some serious spinning to claim they're not chasing a different audience. one look at each platform's best sellers will tell you that. sure, they'd love some of the more traditional 13-22 male dominated core audience that Playstation and Xbox are aimed at but they're certainly not targeting them beyond some 3rd party deals.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this wasn't a solely held opinion either, see the Jimquisition that was made just a few short days after the January 2017 presentation:

Granted Jim has at least owned up to being totally wrong but yeah it goes to show that the pessimism spread far wider than just a select few sites/forums.

they only had cross gen Zelda, a port of street fighter 2 and 1 2 switch at launch, I Remember almost everyone being down on it

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

You chopped off the second part of my post.

There are more layers to defining competition than simply what other companies are in the same industry category as you. That's definitely part of it, of course - but if people are saying that Nintendo isn't competing on the same vectors of competition as Sony and Microsoft that's also true.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
sales in 2019 will clear 7 million in the us. maybe 8 million. i think it can hit the 30m mark by 2021 and that should put it beyond the ps3 at the bare minimum, before any replacement console releases.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Good, now invest in expanding your studios like Monolith Soft and make some acquisitions/form new studios. And no, mobile partnerships do not count

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I mean, you'd have to do some serious spinning to claim they're not chasing a different audience. one look at each platform's best sellers will tell you that.

Sorry but I don't believe that's true at all. Ninty is very much eating Sony and MS's lunch here and are very much in direct competition for gamers (as a whole) dollars and mind-share.

But your comment goes to show where this 'Nintendo aren't competing directly' narrative keeps coming from and does prove my point in that regard.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bunch of friends who have Switches, in my opinion though the hardware really is not compelling. For me as a consumer I would be more attracted to it if the specifications were closer to the other 8th gen consoles.

But I'm not gonna be biased about it. I never doubted that the Switch would be a massive success and I never cared much for the arguments of those who did. Maybe a large portion of those folks thought the Switch would flop coz the Wii U left a bad taste in their mouths

I think a lot of people of trouble doing what you did... Separating their personal views from what the general consumer thinks. We tend to forget that forums like Era are a very small segment of the market.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BotW shoulda been a pack in at launch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHANGE MY MIND​

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seems like you completely misunderstand intentionally or truly oblivious when that statement is made.

Have you heard recently that Netflix said they are not in competition with HBO but rather Fortnite? Its the same kind of principle.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sales of Nintendo games and hardware have no significant impact to non Nintendo games and hardware. Nintendo directly competes with other games companies like Netflix, other activities or sleeping does.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but I don't believe that's true at all. Ninty is very much eating Sony and MS's lunch here and are very much in direct competition for gamers (as a whole) dollars and mind-share.

But your comment goes to show where this 'Nintendo aren't competing directly' narrative keeps coming from and does prove my point in that regard.

I mean, I don't know how you can think this but ok. hell, we've even had Mat say point blank many times that the Switch isn't directly affecting the PS4/Xbox One market and vice versa, that they've been coexisting fine. because they are aimed at different audiences. quite clearly, even. not sure what your point even was if you think I just proved it.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I'd argue Nintendo is competing with Sony and Microsoft in the same way an Italian restaurant is competing with a Japanese restaurant. While they are in the same industry, there are enough differences between their products, consumer-base, and general marketing that the two don't have a significant effect on one another. Nintendo is competing with Sony/Microsoft for mindshare sure, but they occupy different niches, which keeps them from directly affecting one another.

Basically:
Sales of Nintendo games and hardware have no significant impact to non Nintendo games and hardware. Nintendo directly competes with other games companies like Netflix, other activities or sleeping does.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I don't think it'll come close to outselling the Wii U actually

That 2016 thread is a goldmine.

Congrats to Nintendo and Iwata, they nailed pretty much everything and introduced the market to a concept of gaming that won't end with the Switch itsef. In fact, I think it already influenced Sony and Microsoft plans for the future.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Actually, I thought it had a positive impact sales of other games and hardware. I remember some retailers like GameStop and Target saying they had an uptick in gaming sales across the board after the Switch launched,

I could be wrong, and obviously you have the data for all that. I think that still holds true though.

Oct 27, 2017
BotW shoulda been a pack in at launch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHANGE MY MIND​
Why? You should be convincing us. Why would they miss out on free game sales? The system was already selling out so it's not like they needed another incentive for people to buy the system. Being a pack-in would have been completely nonsensical. Not to mention the game had an attach rate of >100% at launch!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

I agree that they are indeed competing with Microsoft and Sony. And there is a strong argument to be made that they even compete in the power race with the switch; they may not intend to win, but they need to be close enough to the competition if they want to receive games like Doom and call their console hybrid, and not "just another Nintendo handheld with the gimmick to connect to the TV". That's also why a pro model is very likely in 2020.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why? You should be convincing us. Why would they miss out on free game sales? The system was already selling out so it's not like they needed another incentive for people to buy the system. Being a pack-in would have been completely nonsensical. Not to mention the game had an attach rate of >100% at launch!
I was poking fun at ppl at the time wanting the launch games as free pack-ins. 1-2 Switch was the one brought up most often, but it wasn't that strange to see people asking for the other launch titles as well (back when a $300 Switch was seen as too expensive.)

Oct 27, 2017
I was poking fun at ppl at the time wanting the launch games as free pack-ins. 1-2 Switch was the one brought up most often, but it wasn't that strange to see people asking for the other launch titles as well (back when a $300 Switch was seen as too expensive.)
I can never tell sarcasm on here considering what some people earnestly believe

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I thought it had a positive impact sales of other games and hardware. I remember some retailers like GameStop and Target saying they had an uptick in gaming sales across the board after the Switch launched,

I could be wrong, and obviously you have the data for all that. I think that still holds true though.

Could be. Retailers can see detail on individual purchases in terms of shopping cart I certainly can't.

Point is that when NIN sales go up there's no corresponding consistent declines elsewhere. Myth of the zero sum market.