• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Wrong again lol.

Lanuch allinged will drop in the next two months becouse PS4 and Xbox are just about to enter their next holiday season still a great result.
When you will have 24 months there will be a lot closer because both PS4 and Sony are about to enter into holiday season. The actual gap for full 2 years won't be as big.

These are asinine.

Playstation 4 had two holiday seasons already at 22 months. Just like Switch.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What are people expecting though? I'm personally expecting a simple redesign that brings down the costs of manufacturing and small improvements for battery life, wifi and such. Basically a DS lite

I'm under the impression most people are expecting (or maybe 'want' is a better word) a Switch Pro with powerful specs/features.

Wiifitkid

Mar 12, 2018
I wonder what the 19 games are
Edit:
Off the top of my head

SMO
BOTW
Mario Kart
Smash
Pokemon 1
Pokemon 2
SMP
Mario Tennis
Captain Toad
DKTF
Kirby
Splatoon 2

I assume those 12 are shoe ins. What about the other 7.

Maybe..
Labo 1
Labo 2
Bayonetta
Torna or Xenoblade
Any 3ds games ?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the next Switch SKU won't be what people here are expecting tbh.

This is an interesting PoV, because, at least on this forum, it's hard to truly say what people are wanting/expecting. I've seen everything from a dockless version, a non-portable 'pro' version and a cheaper handheld that can't 'switch'. So yeah this is interesting as a result, if I'm to guess then there's at least a chance that a pro version could happen, since the cheaper portable friendly version seems to be the most expected of the lot IMO.

We'll see.

Edit: or maybe I'm totally wrong lol.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm under the impression most people are expecting (or maybe 'want' is a better word) a Switch Pro with powerful specs/features.
That's changing now. I kept telling them Liam said last year the Switch revision will be like "DS Lite" type of revision. Looks like people are finally listening lol.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Several insiders (such as Liam Robertson and Benji) have been telling us that the first revision is likely to be a DS Lite-style model, rather than a Pro, so the expectations here have shifted to that more recently. They still seem to say a pro exists and may launch eventually, but it's not what's coming this year.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's speculation on several ones. There's a Switch Mini in the form factor of a Vita, Switch Lite keeping the same form factor but increasing screen size and a Switch Pro.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It'll be interesting to see if it can pass the Wii. I assume Nintendo do will do a DS/3DS type hardware revision, which will help (something the Wii never really did).

Guess the real question will be if it will pass the expected 115-120 million the PS4 might end up doing by the end of the generation.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Several insiders (such as Liam Robertson and Benji) have been telling us that the first revision is likely to be a DS Lite-style model, rather than a Pro, so the expectations here have shifted to that more recently. They still seem to say a pro exists and may launch eventually, but it's not what's coming this year.
Yeah Benji said it too recently.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an exaggeration. Half the forum if you mean the loud people who were always going to be negative regardless of what was shown. It had positive word of mouth outside of GAF tbh. GAF/Era vocal minorieites are never a metric to base anything on.

I'm a big Nintendo fan and I thought it was going to bomb at $300. Maybe it's because at the time very credible rumors said it was going to be $250 standalone and $300 with a pack-in. The fact that it was $300 without a pack-in, after the 3DS flopped at $250 and the Wii U flopped at $300, was shocking.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if it can pass the Wii. I assume Nintendo do will do a DS/3DS type hardware revision, which will help (something the Wii never really did).

Guess the real question will be if it will pass the expected 115-120 million the PS4 might end up doing by the end of the generation.
Didn't the Wii strip out all the Gamecube stuff and sell it cheaper bundled with the likes of Mario Kart?

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Yeah because of those rumors about Mariko.

Though there were others also about a Switch with same everything and only higher storage capacity which could totally make sense giving Nintendo's issues on manufacturing 64gb cartridges.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are we approaching Pac man numbers?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really no. Supply was constrained for switch for close to a year right? This just means it seems there was more demand for Switch through that first year. The wasted line sounds more like damage control.
It was about 4 months in the US and closer to a year in Japan.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
It's honestly the perfect thing Nintendo could put out , it appeals to casual gamers because it's "gimmick" is actually useful.

And on top of that it's the perfect companion console with a PC,PS4, or Xbox for people who play more games. Plus launching significantly later and having great games and a lot of ports made it real easy to slide into that spot.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Well deserved, bought one off Facebook Marketplace during Black Friday for $180 and have been having a ton on fun with Smash, Hollow Knight, Let's Go Eevee, Zelda and Mario
Can't wait for Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime Trilogy (hopefully), indies, and especially Ultimate Alliance 3 this year
The future is looking bright for Nintendo (and gaming in general)

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
"well the Switch certainly seems poised to have a longer shelf life than the Wii, especially with potential revisions. Wii was viable from 2006 to ~2010/2011. Switch seems like it could be around for a good long while. I mean, look at the 3DS. it's 2017 and that thing just got a new revision announced.

definitely seems doable

it's not going to sell 100 million as quickly as the Wii though"

I feel pretty good about that. I doubted the claim pre launch though

it's gonna be funny when Switch passes the Wii

then we can star the "well if you start at the GCN and exclude the Wii U as an outlier.." talk
Yeah that's fair, my own post was
"I don't think it's impossible at all, it might not happen, sure, but it's not impossible or absurd. You're all quick to say Wii was lightning in a bottle, but you always forget the DS sold a lot more, or that the PS4 isn't that far off the Wii result either, and that's after mobile games took off. Guess what? The Switch has AAA games you can't play on your phone, too.

I'd also consider the fact the Switch is more appealing than both the Wii and the DS were at their respective time. It's not like people blindly decide to make a product a mass success for no reason, being GOOD helps, it's not an arbitrary, random event.

Heck, the Wii didn't even have Pokémon, nor revisions. Switch can also last a lot longer than the Wii and DS and 3DS ever could because it's the most powerful handheld in the world. The 3DS is gonna last over 7 years while being very weak even at launch."

But back then people would laugh at the idea of Wii like sales and if I had a penny for all the "lightning in a bottle" arguments I saw... lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the whole launch aligned "holiday seasons" versus "launch month" stuff has been argued to death here.

IF the Switch sells enough to meet Nintendo's FY goal then it will be outpacing the PS4 launch aligned (globally) even with the PS4 having 3 holidays (1 launch holiday + 2 non-launch holidays) while the Switch will only have 2 holidays plus the March launch.

So if that's the case I think it would be fair to say it's outpacing the PS4, regardless of the discrepancy in launch timing. Otherwise it will remain a yo-yo situation for a few years until one of them pulls away.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
So with the really good game lineup the WiiU actually had, I wonder why even Nintendo fans were so averse to buying it.

Surely they couldn't have foreseen Nintendo re-releasing all the major games just a few years later on a new system.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting a new 3ds level upgrade. But, TBH I don't know how much they can change the design of the console while maintaining joycon compatibility. Smaller bezels is the only thing that comes to mind.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Most people are actually expecting a joyconless Switch for 150 USD. I'm one of those expecting a Switch Pro, simply not this year, probably late 2020. My bet for this year is a simple redesign à la DS Lite, keeping the same form factor.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Can't believe i'm gonna say this...but i can see Switch outselling the PS4 in a few years.

Nintendo will keep the momentum going for a long time. And unlike the Wii, all their teams are doing games for one single hardware. They don't have a portable console to worry about this generation.
And i say all this as a guy that always buys PlayStation consoles and never cared about Nintendo tbh.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What about launch aligned with the Wii? Considering Wii suffered supply problem for it first 2 years, should not be that hard to beat, right?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting a new 3ds level upgrade. But, TBH I don't know how much they can change the design of the console while maintaining joycon compatibility. Smaller bezels is the only thing that comes to mind.
New3DS got a big.boost to CPU.

I think it's just.going to be a more robust Switch that is likely thinner/less bulky and possibly cheaper to manufacture but still a switch.

So both the mini and pro camp are wrong. That would be the most Nintendo outcome.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
So with the really good game lineup the WiiU actually had, I wonder why even Nintendo fans were so averse to buying it.

Surely they couldn't have foreseen Nintendo re-releasing all the major games just a few years later on a new system.

PS4 and Xbone were known to come and the power race was at it's hottest.
Also Nintendo had a lot less games 1st party wise and the droughts were real.
Add that to the horrible marketing and you've got yourself a failure.
A beautiful, wonderful, amazing failure, but failure none the less.

Gonna take this post and hold on to it :D

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Considering the switch is now both the handheld sales + the home console sales in one console, this is not surprising.
If this was a home console and Nintendo had a well selling handheld along side it, it would have been much more impressive.
But its a good comeback none the less.

This is the boat that I'm in. I bought one to use mainly at home but have found more portable use than expected, and I expect there are plenty of people who bought it mainly for its portability on top of those wanting pure home use. I just wish the 3DS was completely dropped at this point(Radiant Historia, arrrgh). It makes comparison hard due to its nature, and I don't think direct comparisons with other consoles are really apt, yet that's credit to Nintendo for being forward thinking enough to serve multiple markets with one product. I think it has a chance to get in the number 3 spot above PS4 but behind DS and PS2, depending on revisions and such.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take a look at the thread about a new model, lot of people are. I've got the same feeling in other forums, what most people are expecting is a mini joyconless Switch that will replace the 3DS. Not what I'm expecting at all tho.

let me amend my statement then

no one is seriously expecting a joy conless Switch