• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
PS Classic + all other (legacy) consoles sold a combined ~650k in December
Nintendo Classic consoles sold nearly 700k

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
December 2018

Switch - 1,77m
Xbox One - 920k
PS4 - 800k
3DS - 340k
NES+Super NES Mini - 690k
PlayStation Classic+everything else - 650k

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo might have a revision ready by the end of the year, but I bet if they think they don't need it, they'll delay it until 2020.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Um, that would make it 1 extra holiday for PS4 and XBO no? Doesn't that make this even MORE impressive? Switch was released in March. It being on top launch aligned like this is more notable unless I'm mistaken.

That depnds on how you look at it the lanuch time both PS4 and Xbox as they were supply constrained and did not have full holiday season sales, PS4 for example lanuch at the last week of November as well.

And then the numbers will come out 3 months from now, Switch Numbers will still be up and people will say. "Wait, you gotta wait until Switch finishes the year, Switch has had way more time between and after holiday sales!"

Really. We went through this whole song and dance last year.

The numbers are what they are, and the actual release of the Switch is a strategic decision, and something that Nintendo did right. And that's with people saying that Switch was bound to fail because it released in March. We gotta take these numbers at face value, the way they are. Else you are indeed moving goalposts dude.

I'm not trying to discredit Switch sales or move a goal post I just want to bring up context to the install base gap with different lanuch timings.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
People always link the Switch success prediction thread, but often forget about these gems:

"Kimishina thinks the Switch has the potential to reach Wii like sales"

"Nintendo believes it can sell as many Switches as the Wii"

Thank me later for the laughs

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Another stat I can give out. There were 5.16 million units of hardware sold in December 2018. Switch was just over 1/3rd of that. Nintendo total was 2.8m incl 3DS and NES/SNES Classic.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That depnds on how you look at it the lanuch time both PS4 and Xbox as they were supply constrained and did not have full holiday season sales, PS4 for example lanuch at the last week of November as well.

I'm not trying to discredit Switch sales or move a goal post I just want to bring up context to the install base gap with different lanuch timings.
Actually you are trying to discredit the Switch. Are you going to let us know in 3 months how the Switch was supply constrained and the PS4/XB1 were just coming off their holidays?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's still $300.
Only discount was a black friday bundle with MK.

Surprised that price worked out so well for them, honestly
I really don't like this trend of people ignoring discount trends.

A bunch of people on forum are still stuck with the mindset that outside collections Nintendo doesn't do sales.

Nintendo post Iwata has been very aggressive in pricing. They have frequently allowed retailers to discount their biggest games with a frequency that us totally opposite of how long their prices held on platforms before the Switch. Just this month they has a big eshop blowout.

As for the console themselves the bundles that were available were effectively an equal or even bigger discount than the 20% their biggest games were getting.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It always seems somewhat revisionist to say that launching in March gives an advantage to Switch because the prevailing opinion at the time was that it was disastrous for Nintendo to have missed the holiday period in 2016. People were even suggesting it would be a "soft launch".

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Actually you are trying to discredit the Switch. Are you going to let us know in 3 months how the Switch was supply constrained and the PS4/XB1 were just coming off their holidays?

I don't think that matter as both were supply constrained at launch and beyond for a few months.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Another stat I can give out. There were 5.16 million units of hardware sold in December 2018. Switch was just over 1/3rd of that. Nintendo total was 2.8m incl 3DS and NES/SNES Classic.

Those are great numbers, do you think Nintendo will release a PR or it's too close to their earning?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Graphics: OUT

Mario Kart + Zelda + Smash Bros: IN
I've always felt that when Iwata said back during the Wii era that people weren't simply interested in more power and better visuals anymore, he was correct, but one generation too early.

That being said, Nintendo makes absolutely beautiful looking games.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure against a 5 year old console

(man it doesn't even get funny typing it out...)

TBF the different launch seasons make the comparison a tad pointless... but it really doesn't matter much as the real take away is that Switch will definitely come close to Wii if not surpass Wii... something I genuinely never thought was possible in either case.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering half this forum(and some analysts) said it would be DOA at 300$, since that was apparently way too much.

This is an exaggeration. Half the forum if you mean the loud people who were always going to be negative regardless of what was shown. It had positive word of mouth outside of GAF tbh. GAF/Era vocal minorieites are never a metric to base anything on.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
really? i didn't remember that. I think the Wii was $250 but the switch is worth $300

There were definitely people that felt $300 was too much. The argument was that PS4/X1 were $300, or less, with a game and much more powerful with a full library of games. I think they failed to realize how compelling a hybrid system that could play console quality games at home or on the go was.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is an exaggeration. Half the forum if you mean the loud people who were always going to be negative regardless of what was shown. It had positive word of mouth outside of GAF tbh. GAF/Era vocal minorieites are never a metric to base anything on.

It wasn't just GAF/ERA, I'm fairly sure most of the games media were writing the system off as well.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And of course people are trying to downplay this.

The younger staff at Nintendo responsible for Switch is a new one, I'll give you that. Who gives a shit. It's still a Nintendo product.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo will actually support this console long-term.

They've prematurely ended support for all their previous consoles. NES was the only system that had major releases more than a year after its successor was out.

Ending Switch's lifespan early without a decent plan will just lead to another Wii U disaster.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure against a 5 year old console

(man it doesn't even get funny typing it out...)

TBF the different launch seasons make the comparison a tad pointless... but it really doesn't matter much as the real take away is that Switch will definitely come close to Wii if not surpass Wii... something I genuinely never thought was possible in either case.

Wii had some incredible holiday seasons that no console is likely to top anytime soon.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Being $100/$200 cheaper during their respective launches probably helped a lot not to mention all the great games during it's first two years.

Nintendo's back baby.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
2895805-nintendosales.jpg

How many times over the past 5-6 years did we have to look at charts like this and hear the copy-pasted phrase "The Wii was an anomaly, Nintendo systems have seen a regular decline each generation, the Wii U represents what Nintendo can expect going forward?"

Hopefully this kind of garbage can be retired for good, but who knows.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People always link the Switch success prediction thread, but often forget about these gems:

"Kimishina thinks the Switch has the potential to reach Wii like sales"

"Nintendo believes it can sell as many Switches as the Wii"

Thank me later for the laughs

"well the Switch certainly seems poised to have a longer shelf life than the Wii, especially with potential revisions. Wii was viable from 2006 to ~2010/2011. Switch seems like it could be around for a good long while. I mean, look at the 3DS. it's 2017 and that thing just got a new revision announced.

definitely seems doable

it's not going to sell 100 million as quickly as the Wii though"

I feel pretty good about that. I doubted the claim pre launch though

2895805-nintendosales.jpg

How many times over the past 5-6 years did we have to look at charts like this and hear the copy-pasted phrase "The Wii was an anomaly, Nintendo systems have seen a regular decline each generation, the Wii U represents what Nintendo can expect going forward?"

Hopefully this kind of garbage can be retired for good, but who knows.

it's gonna be funny when Switch passes the Wii

then we can star the "well if you start at the GCN and exclude the Wii U as an outlier.." talk

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I think the next Switch SKU won't be what people here are expecting tbh.
What are people expecting though? I'm personally expecting a simple redesign that brings down the costs of manufacturing and small improvements for battery life, wifi and such. Basically a DS lite

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Switch is not touching the DS unless Nintendo considers Switch successors to be GameBoy Color to their GameBoy and 10+ years.

There were previous interviews especially from Kimishima where he said he would like to do something like that, and Nvidia said their partnership with Nintendo is going to last more than 10 years. (which could mean anything though)

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but it literally exploded in dec, I'm just trying to find out what triggered it. Haven't looked at the software numbers. Maybe Smash?
smash plus christmas. smash was a franchise that already hit the ~10 million unit bracket in the past and it's been setting new sales records.

plus were there any remaining bundles floating around from the november bundle lineups?