• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
counterpoint: Conduct Together is okay. It's kind of a weird, unexpectedly stressful puzzle game. If that's your jam I think you could enjoy it (though regardless it's not worth more than like a dollar probably)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to derail your efforts OP, but I have a pretty easy time avoiding things I don't want to play on the eShop... what I'm always more interested in are the lesser-known titles that I've missed because of all the crap they get buried under!

Whenever I click on the sale threads, seeing the sheer number of titles almost instantly discourages me from even looking. It's crazy how poor discovery and curation are on the platform, and it's my most played console! :(

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
why even buy all that crap lol
most of that you should probably be able to tell is garbage from a quick glance on their eshop page
though I have had friends pick up random bad $1 games before so I guess the price can tempt people

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I don't want to derail your efforts OP, but I have a pretty easy time avoiding things I don't want to play on the eShop... what I'm always more interested in are the lesser-known titles that I've missed because of all the crap they get buried under!

Whenever I click on the sale threads, seeing the sheer number of titles almost instantly discourages me from even looking. It's crazy how poor discovery and curation are on the platform, and it's my most played console! :(
Do not use the eShop.

Use DekuDeals. Since the day I have been using that website, I do not purchase shovelware anymore. They have Metacritic ratings directly on the website.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
why even buy all that crap lol
most of that you should probably be able to tell is garbage from a quick glance on their eshop page
though I have had friends pick up random bad $1 games before so I guess the price can tempt people
They were literally cents. I have not spent $2 USD total in those games I listed as shovelware.

Some of those were free. Last December, QubicGames was gifting one game every day for 10 days I think.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Watch your mouth OP. Astro Bears Party is a fucking gem, and the best $1 I spent on the Switch.
yeah tbh all of these tiny games that end up going on sale for dirt cheap have some small audience that they can find. like, I got Totes the Goat while it was 9 cents because I thought it was funny and now I've discovered that I love Q*bert. We can't just write stuff off as shovelware wholesale

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Use DekuDeals. Since the day I have been using that website, I do not purchase shovelware anymore. They have Metacritic ratings directly on the website.
Thanks for the link!

yeah tbh all of these tiny games that end up going on sale for dirt cheap have some small audience that they can find. like, I got Totes the Goat while it was 9 cents because I thought it was funny and now I've discovered that I love Q*bert. We can't just write stuff off as shovelware wholesale
I had no idea Totes the Goat was a Crossy Road-like Q*bert clone. For nine cents (edit: w/ points it was free), I'll give it a shot. LOL

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Exactly, it's not like these games on the platform are hurting anyone

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what to say.

Who doesn't what's "shovelware" and what's not at this point? I think everyone on this forum knows how things work. Do people just buy stuff on a whim?

Or this just a thread to bizarrely show off your shovelware collection?

I'm just confused honestly.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, Kuso is pretty great, especially for the price. I'm sure a lot of this other stuff is crap, but including that makes me question the entire list.

I'd much rather get a list going of stuff that seems like shovelware but is actually legit.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Shovelware isn't just a word for games you don't like or think are bad. I can't speak to all of those games, but Kuso is absolutely is not shovelware. A close friend of mine worked super hard of it and is (deservedly) very proud of his work. He even reached out and got Yoko Taro to voice act in it. It was a total labor of love. Don't make nasty threads like these just because you can't control yourself buying games without researching them first.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Shovelware isn't just a word for games you don't like or think are bad. I can't speak to all of those games, but Kuso is absolutely is not shovelware. A close friend of mine worked super hard of it and is (deservedly) very proud of his work. He even reached out and got Yoko Taro to voice act in it. It was a total labor of love. Don't make nasty threads like these just because you can't control yourself buying games without researching them first.
Well, this thread backfired on me. It wasn't my intention.

I'm sorry.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm more curious on the games that are crazy cheap and awesome versus the shitty shovelware garbage.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Exactly what I wanted to say, minus the personal anecdote of course. Real people poured their heart and soul into these games. It's pretty callous to generalize like this without at least offering more specific reasons why you dislike something.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Well, this thread backfired on me. It wasn't my intention.

I'm sorry.
Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from. I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about games you don't like and such, but labelling games as shovelware without really knowing anything about where they come from is really disrespectful. I know two other devs a bit who made stuff on your list (not as close as my friend who made Kuso) and I assure you that neither of them, are trying to mislead you or anything. They're just out trying to do the best they can with what they have. I can see you didn't really mean to insinuate all that you did, so don't beat yourself up too hard. Live and learn! <3

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from. I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about games you don't like and such, but labelling games as shovelware without really knowing anything about where they come from is really disrespectful. I know two other devs a bit who made stuff on your list (not as close as my friend who made Kuso) and I assure you that neither of them, are trying to mislead you or anything. They're just out trying to do the best they can with what they have. I can see you didn't really mean to insinuate all that you did, so don't beat yourself up too hard. Live and learn! <3
Yes, I really understand what you are saying, and it wasn't my intention to offend anyone.

With all my heart, I truly say that I'm sorry, and this error won't happen again.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racedierun is fine. It's a fun little bite sized racer...thing. You could do a lot worse.

Kuso is legitimately a good game. I don't think you're going to find many people that agree with you.

I honestly don't see the point of this thread beyond being an outlet for the 2edgy4me jerk offs, braying their knee slapping aRmS iS sHoVeLwArE hot takes.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
41nrj0.jpg

Do not use the eShop.

Honestly, this suggestion alone makes my visit to this thread a worthwhile effort - thank you for bringing this to collective attention!

But, yeah - determining what's actually shovel ware is really difficult. Most eShop titles look like they have redeeming value to them, but I just don't have the time/interest to make the last step to purchasing it. I really enjoyed Conduct Together - they even put in different model trains for the train geeks to unlock! Nice little touch.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm more curious on the games that are crazy cheap and awesome versus the shitty shovelware garbage.
Well. There's the surprisingly enjoyable Earth Wars, which typically goes for $4.50 on the Switch eshop.
It's presentation is pretty low-budget, but the game itself is solid Vanillaware-esque hack & slash action.

Outside of the Switch, this game is more commonly known as Earth's Dawn, and tends to go for $20+. Weird how that works out, but all the same, I recommend checking it out.
www.nintendo.com

EARTH WARS for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy EARTH WARS and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Love/Kuso are great games. The art style is minimalist, the platforming is tight and fun. Definitely worth the price, and it's always on sale for some crazy low amount. The music in it is real cool too. Not sure how anyone can look at it and think it's shovelware. It's also exactly what it says on the box, the eshop listing isn't misleading or anything. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/kuso-switch/

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It's really not that hard to just look at a game's store page and recognise if it's shovelware.

Or google it if you're unsure.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
For almost 5 years I been eyeing that Off-Road knock off game Rock N Racing or something.

Any word?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this suggestion alone makes my visit to this thread a worthwhile effort - thank you for bringing this to collective attention!
Yep, because of this, I've already purchased a few things. I even saw them on sale on the eShop earlier, but I think because of the way it's all presented and organized here, it makes it "easier" somehow. LOL It's been a nice little distraction delaying me from pulling the trigger on the $40 Hatsune Miku game. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.