• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
At this point I'm starting to even doubt there's a Direct for February. There was strong hints for one for this month and we got nothing.
What's holding Nintendo back to make the Direct announcements, anyway? Are they being cautious about something or waiting for anything especific - like a Sony/MS announcement?

I susspect Nintendo wanted to gave gave Smash Bros (thats December release, easily biggest Switch release that has huge momentum) and NSMBU DX (that will also be quite popular game) more space or breathing room in January, and Nintendo Direct would pull huge part attention.

I wonder if they are actually just waiting for March to hold a general Direct and will hold a Nindies Showcase and/or a game-specific Direct in February. Holding the next Direct in March would give Yoshi a last-minute push and is just the right time to detail the first-party titles for April, May, and June. If the theory that the SNES titles will come in February is true, that can be announced on Twitter unceremoniously. I hope this isn't the case, though. I still have a backlog to finish, but it would be nice to have something to be hyped for in the near future.

Edit: Yes, I know King Zell said the Nindies Showcase is next week, but the last two were in March. I think January is too early for a Nindies Showcase.

Last 3 general Directs we had Nindies around 2 weeks before or after general Direct,
so having next week Nindies and than general Direct 2 weeks later would be expected.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
They probably put the Direct in February so they could shadow drop Piranha Plant after it. That or SNES games on the online service. (or both)

People are way overthinking things.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Here are some past franchises I do want them to revisit:
  • Wave Race
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • ExciteBike
  • Beetle Racing Adventure (w/ Criterion)
  • Wario Land
  • Sin & Punishment
  • Odama
Apart from that, I do want Nintendo to continue making new franchises with their "garage developers" like Splatoon and ARMS. Deamon X Machina, while 3rd party, seems to have that kind of pedigree of wanting to make a new series.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still want a modern take on Crusin. maybe Bamco will skin their Ridge Racer 8 as a Cruisin game

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So the next direct is indies?

Disappointing.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Going by last year's output, I'm far more excited to see what new indies will come to the system than what Nintendo will release. Animal Crossing and Pokemon do nothing for me, Luigi is "ok" at best, and I gave up on them reviving Nintendo's IP I like such as F-Zero. Indies on the other hand have been outputting incredible stuff last year and 2019 could be even better. A Nindie DIrect is the best scenario for me.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Going by last year's output, I'm far more excited to see what new indies will come to the system than what Nintendo will release. Animal Crossing and Pokemon do nothing for me, Luigi is "ok" at best, and I gave up on them reviving Nintendo's IP I like such as F-Zero. Indies on the other hand have been outputting incredible stuff last year and 2019 could be even better. A Nindie DIrect is the best scenario for me.

Yep, I agree with this. 2019 is looking awesome on paper, but for me personally, I really hope there's some truth in those Star Fox GP and 2D Zelda rumours because I am not the target audience for Pokemon or Animal Crossing! LM3 and Yoshi will both be OK.

I'm excited to see what this years "Celeste" ends up being!

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
So if the Nindies Direct rumor is true then I expect some good announcements to come out of it, this is the first Nindies after the release of Travis Strikes Again and also the first Nindies after Damon Baker's departure from Nintendo, given we heard rumors about digital-only titles releasing this year from Nintendo I wonder if they decided to publish some exclusive game from indie devs

Nick

Oct 28, 2017
Here are some past franchises I do want them to revisit:
  • Wave Race
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • ExciteBike
  • Beetle Racing Adventure (w/ Criterion)
  • Wario Land
  • Sin & Punishment
  • Odama
Apart from that, I do want Nintendo to continue making new franchises with their "garage developers" like Splatoon and ARMS. Deamon X Machina, while 3rd party, seems to have that kind of pedigree of wanting to make a new series.

Am I the only one who remembers Golden Sun??

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just doing my job, i really think i should retire though, its just like people here want you to be wrong just to insult insiders even more.

It really is awful how many people here treat insiders. I just don't get the toxicity and ungratefulness to people sticking their neck out to bring us information to discuss.

I don't think many would blame you for retiring, it just doesn't seem like it's worth weathering that stress and toxicity sometimes.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Just doing my job, i really think i should retire though, its just like people here want you to be wrong just to insult insiders even more.

Yeah, unfortunately you're not the first insider to say this recently. I think the mod team need to look at how they can improve the situation really because it's not right for people to be chased away from these forums.

Ragaar31

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to just say that I appreciate you king zell, and it would be a shame to lose your insight. It's a bummer that some people are so harsh to insiders on this forum. You guys are one of the reasons this place is exciting to visit.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
RE earlier discussion, there's tons of past Nintendo published games that either were brilliant then or had a lot of potential, and currently have no equals on any platform, where the Switch would benefit from their portfolio diversifying originality.

Excite Truck/Bots - Preferably Truck, which is a criminally underrated masterclass of arcade racing design where absolute mastery of vehicle control and track layout is encouraged. Some of the best moment-to-moment racing gaming that exists. No game like it, anywhere.
Battalion Wars - Advance Wars in real time, Battlefield-lite; blending strategy with real-time action and controlling an assortment of infantry and vehicles, on the scale of a map warzone, worked beautifully. Again, no equals anywhere.
Sin & Punishment - S&P2 is one of the best SHMUPs ever and one of the best games on the Wii. Fucking insane it happened at all. Again, no equals.
Punch-Out!! - Kind of like Excite Truck, Punch-Out's arcade formula works so well. It's got that addictive one-more-round quality that just pulls you into pushing to master the game systems. Simple in premise, complex and challenging in execution. Wii build was fucking brilliant, give me more.
Hotel Dusk - Because it's cool.

I'm hoping by the end of the switch life at least half of these are on it, I'd take an Another Code sequel over Hotel Dusk or both, Battalion wars or Advance wars neeeds to happen! S+P2 selling like dogshit probably doesn't help a third but even a Wii port... Punchout Wii, Can't comprehend how there wasn't one on 3ds seemed perfect and how well Wii sold I'm surprised and Excitebots never came out in the UK/EU so I'd love a new racer as it was a nice change to Mario kart on wii

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that it's best to ignore such people but the problem is that you ignore one, and then two more prop up. It's such a shame because you contribute so much like others.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
If we don't get either sin & punishment or kid icarus on the switch by the end of it's lifetime I will be very sad

Mar 23, 2018

Yeah, I don't know how you guys keep up with it and this is just the part we see, because for sure there's some assholes sending private messages or that kind of crap to the guys that have claimed to have info in the past. Appreciate you guys sharing whatever you heard, which at least means active discussion in here.

Unbura

Dec 23, 2018
please don't let them get to you, its just usual skepticism.
when it comes, it all just goes away like a sweet candy suddenly on the desk.
that said, congrats on being right again!

Rundeas

Jan 8, 2019
I am definitely looking forward to the nindies solely for A Hat in Time and with Zell being right about the nindies, hopefully the direct is in mid February. Maybe if it's then there would be just enough time for Joker and Prime 4 to be far enough along to be shown/teased.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Why are people asking for Witcher 3 on it? I guess joke is on me for not thinking Nintendo will target these types of games. At this point, you might as well also ask for Cyberpunk