• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
Well that's not good for Nintendo.

If this follows their previous pattern where we went from GameCube all the way up to Wii all the way down to WiiU and now all the way up to switch again...their next system will do even worse than wiiu!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Well, damn. Theres not many pieces of hardware ahead of that number isnt it. Switch has another few years to reach the top if possible if nintendo is going to keep riding this piece of hardware for a few more years

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you all rather have a battery life like 3DS so it could be truly portable or performance closer to PS4 Pro for a successor?

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
But but the analysts everywhere said portable gaming was dead, mobile killed it....something something...

Oct 25, 2017
Like 4-6 hours. Apparently Switch OLED is already doing that. I thought it was just a screen upgrade.
If you want it to be more powerful it will have to draw more power, they would also need a really good cooling solution because people are holding in their hands the thing that is rising in temperature.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Time to remake Four Swords so each person in the household needs a Switch to play!
Real talk, not having a Four Swords Adventure sequel/remake/remaster on Wii U that allowed player 1 to use the GamePad and players 2-4 to use 3DS consoles was one of those "do you guys WANT this concept to fail or" moments of the Wii U gen. There WERE game concepts that worked for the platform, but God knows Nintendo refused to develop them.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
And I hope that, if they do that, they don't release a 2021 chip in 2024.

Most mass produced devices take years of engineering to come up with a design, then go into production / manufacture until their eventual release. It would be unfeasible to shove tech that comes out the same year it's suppose to be created in mass, is well tested, and enough units to be fulfilled without a supply constraints to meet demand.

If a Switch 2 comes out in 2024, it's almost a forgone conclusion it won't be using a chip from the same year. The only exception is when we factor custom silicon and the console itself is the only device that is actually using said chip in the first place.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Most mass produced devices take years of engineering to come up with a design, then go into production / manufacture until their eventual release. It would be unfeasible to shove tech that comes out the same year it's suppose to be created in mass, is well tested, and enough units to be fulfilled without a supply constraints to meet demand.

If a Switch 2 comes out in 2024, it's almost a forgone conclusion it won't be using a chip from the same year. The only exception is when we factor custom silicon and the console itself is the only device that is actually using said chip in the first place.
Both, the PS5 and XBSX launched with a Chip with the current edge technology. Also, new phones launches with a chip with state of the art chips all the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Both, the PS5 and XBSX launched with a Chip with the current edge technology. Also, new phones launches with a chip with state of the art chips all the time.
And they hence cost 500+ US which i dont think Nintendo is aiming for
Persons on this forum are affluent so they dont see 500 US as much but the price difference between a PS5 and switch is a reason why it continues to compete besides portablity i feel

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Well that's not good for Nintendo.

If this follows their previous pattern where we went from GameCube all the way up to Wii all the way down to WiiU and now all the way up to switch again...their next system will do even worse than wiiu!
Unstable oscillation!!! But the one after that could be through the roof!

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
ML9LdmZ.png

Regional Hardware shipments (HH vs Hybrid) by quarter with YoY change from FY20-21 > FY21-22, with software included as well. Europe + Other combined to include older years.

Here's just the last 3 FYs so that Eur/Other are split up.

hJ9BD80.png

XWDeK2q.png

Hybrids in Americas/Europe close to flat YoY thus far, most of the dip has come from Japan. Handheld (Lite) OTOH is down nearly 2/3.

I've got the quarterly data in this format as well for anyone that is curious.
Thanfs for this data !
It would seem the switch is slowly hitting the saturation point in Japan.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
And they hence cost 500+ US which i dont think Nintendo is aiming for
Persons on this forum are affluent so they dont see 500 US as much but the price difference between a PS5 and switch is a reason why it continues to compete besides portablity i feel
I also find it interesting that a lot of people here did not see Sony abandoning the $300 price range, as in not having a product in that range, as a problem.

Series S was bemoaned to an extent when it was announced and no one batted an eye when PS4 all but ceased production last year only to begin production again this year. You're certainly right this place isn't representative.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
I wonder if we'll ever get a console that comes close to PS2 lifetime numbers. The PS2 was a fucking behemoth and probably nothing will ever come close again.

The switch will sell more than the PS2. Between 2022 and 2033 it will be at 140 million at the current pace and if Nintendo do a price drop all bets are off

Oct 27, 2017
I also find it interesting that a lot of people here did not see Sony abandoning the $300 price range, as in not having a product in that range, as a problem.

Series S was bemoaned to an extent when it was announced and no one batted an eye when PS4 all but ceased production last year only to begin production again this year. You're certainly right this place isn't representative.
Right
And i really beleive if nintendo was to do the same bleeding edge mantra, they would literally price themselves out of one of thier main target audiences-families and casual gamers. (Yes i know Nintendo has hardcore gamers with disposable income as an audience as well but they arent the only audience they rely on)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Right
And i really beleive if nintendo was to do the same bleeding edge mantra, they would literally price themselves out of one of thier main target audiences-families and casual gamers. (Yes i know Nintendo has hardcore gamers with disposable income as an audience as well but they arent the only audience they rely on)
Nothing wrong with being bleeding edge to be honest I want a more powerful Switch myself, but my comment was more about the enthusiast crowd being more concerned their preorders would be fullfilled

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Bleeding Edge =/= Expensive. The Series S is as bleeding edge as the Series X/PS5... I was referring to the technology of the product, not its power nor price.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The switch will sell more than the PS2. Between 2022 and 2033 it will be at 140 million at the current pace and if Nintendo do a price drop all bets are off
Switch actually got a price increase!
Think about that for a second.
It got no price drop and only got price increases so far!
i think at this point they might have an aversion to price drops on a conceptual level.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Bleeding Edge =/= Expensive. The Series S is as bleeding edge as the Series X/PS5... I was referring to the technology of the product, not its power nor price.

There is also the consideration of form factor of the device as well and with Nintendo having a contract with Nvidia that supposedly lasts 10 years. It's very unlikely the next generation Switch and all that entails won't price itself out scope, especially not using mobile tech because using off the shelf desktop APUs, especially at a device of that size with expected power draw / heat generation. The alternative is putting out Apple iPad Pro M1 level device and which isn't feasible, especially not at a acceptable price point from Nintendo no less.

Edit - I feel it's also a fair point to bring up the fact back in 2017 when the Switch released it was absolutely using the best possible mobile chip for it's form factor and price point for the time.

Using an example of a desktop equivalent APU in the Series S / X and PS5 as bleeding edge feels disingenuous especially talking about Zen2 even.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
There is also the consideration of form factor of the device as well and with Nintendo having a contract with Nvidia that supposedly lasts 10 years. It's very unlikely the next generation Switch and all that entails won't price itself out scope, especially not using mobile tech because using off the shelf desktop APUs, especially at a device of that size with expected power draw / heat generation. The alternative is putting out Apple iPad Pro M1 level device and which isn't feasible, especially not at a acceptable price point from Nintendo no less.

Edit - I feel it's also a fair point to bring up the fact back in 2017 when the Switch released it was absolutely using the best possible mobile chip for it's form factor and price point for the time.

Using an example of a desktop equivalent APU in the Series S / X and PS5 as bleeding edge feels disingenuous especially talking about Zen2 even.
That post was disingenous. it's a thinly veiled console war post.

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
Off topic but is there a swoled watch thread? For when it comes in stock somewhere? I have the standard switch, wasn't going to upgrade until one of my shipmates showed me their oled version. Needless to say, I'm on the hunt lol.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The still sold 90m systems between WiiU/3DS and the software sales were high in those platforms. People focused only on one system and acted like Nintendo was literally dead, when they were already charging up for their next system with the Switch.

Nintendo had very high expectations when the Wii U launched, though. They expected Nintendoland to become the new Wii Sports. In reality they likely stopped production early on because they must have produced a heck ton of consoles to meet that first sales target. It was never obvious their follow up to the Wii U would become a smash hit.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would you all rather have a battery life like 3DS so it could be truly portable or performance closer to PS4 Pro for a successor?

Yeah, I know you mentioned it already, but the Switch has actually had great battery life for a modern device sense the V2. That said I wouldn't mind a device that pulls 45 watts in docked mode to let the next console really stretch it's legs.

Switch actually got a price increase!
Think about that for a second.
It got no price drop and only got price increases so far!
i think at this point they might have an aversion to price drops on a conceptual level.

I think price drops as they previously existed are now a thing of the past. Hell, the PS4 only ever dropped below $300 for a few short promotions.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo had very high expectations when the Wii U launched, though. They expected Nintendoland to become the new Wii Sports. In reality they likely stopped production early on because they must have produced a heck ton of consoles to meet that first sales target. It was never obvious their follow up to the Wii U would become a smash hit.
Again ignoring the 3DS and Nintendos handheld legacy.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Well, damn. Theres not many pieces of hardware ahead of that number isnt it. Switch has another few years to reach the top if possible if nintendo is going to keep riding this piece of hardware for a few more years
I mean, if we follow this pattern then PS5's set to undersell PS3 by tens of millions while Xbox Series will double 360 sales. Nevermind what the GB / GBA / DS / 3DS / Switch pattern tells us.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People like handhelds and Nintendo games. Since I got a Switch Pad Pro, I'm enjoying handheld a lot more. The screen is better for the low res Switch games and there's less noise pollution as I play. Like, Arceus genuinely looks good.

Jun 10, 2018
Once again, another post exuding the exclusive home console lens people view Nintendo under.

This is why I say if people just didn't respect Nintendo's prowess as a handheld manufacturer just say that. Because posts like this do not logically correlate with historical data.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I would agree with this post if the Switch wasn't also a follow up to the 3DS.

Jun 10, 2018
[
Remember during the first 2 years of the Switch when people kept wanting a "true 3DS successor?" Was some weird shit. At least the Switch Lite eventually put an end to that.
Even without the existence of the Switch Lite OG Switch was still positioned as the successor. The main reasons why Nintendo initially marketed Switch as a "home console first and foremost" at all was to a) ensure it would be given primary development consideration publishers never grace handhelds and b) to convince home console gamers who notoriously have a negative bias towards handhelds Switch was "different" than the 3DS.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
[

Even without the existence of the Switch Lite OG Switch was still positioned as the successor. The main reasons why Nintendo initially marketed Switch as a "home console first and foremost" at all was to a) ensure it would be given primary development consideration publishers never grace handhelds and b) to convince home console gamers who notoriously have a negative bias towards handhelds Switch was "different" than the 3DS.

Oh, I know. I had to years of posts saying that same thing to explain why a "3DS 2" or whatever wasn't happening. It was obvious from the beginning, but people kept saying it.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
They're doing something right, that's for sure. 4 of their last 5 systems have been successful. 3 being mega hits, and the 3ds to a lesser extent, but successful nonetheless.