• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
rollin-keep-rollin.gif

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think that the Deck is going to steal Switch's market or anything like that, but I do believe that a significant part of that made Switch the success it is today that it was also appealing from a technological point of view. It was a true high-end hanheld device that could run current-gen ports and had the good will of even from the enthusiast segment.

Would losing that mean that the device would bomb? Of course not. But the Switch is a significant market expansion from 3DS+Wii U, thus I don't think we can explain its success as "people like Nintendo games" only.

Plus you don't remain at the top by lettings your guard down and leaving openings for your competitors. Starting february 28, all third party reviews will change from "this is incredible for a handheld!" to "it plays better on the Deck..." and I believe is on Nintendo's best interest to close that as soon as possible.

I can't disagree as I have a Switch Lite. I don't really have any interest in the docked version as I have a Series X and a gaming PC. My Switch is all about convenience

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It's got longer than that, didn't they say they see it having a lifespan of like 7 to 8 years? Switch 2 might not come out until late 2023 or even early 2024 if that's the case. And that assumes Nintendo also drops support entirely once the Switch 2 comes out. Thing is gonna be a goddamn beast when all is said and done O_O
I think they actually said 10

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy numbers. Also surprised it's still my most played console. Looking forward to their releases this year.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
insane and it ain't done yet. i think it'll pass the PS4 + Gameboy this year.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
It's a great system, I loved the Wii but the Switch offers so much. It's kinda crazy to see how far it's come since the NX days back in 2016

Oct 27, 2017
Plus you don't remain at the top by lettings your guard down and leaving openings for your competitors. Starting february 28, all third party reviews will change from "this is incredible for a handheld!" to "it plays better on the Deck..." and I believe is on Nintendo's best interest to close that as soon as possible.
Does the Deck have Nintendo games? No. Then it's not going to affect the Switch. Switch owners/potential owners are used to their games not playing as well on other platforms. That they play better on the Deck won't affect it because, as we can see from software sales, the Switch's allure is handheld "console gaming" + NINTENDO games

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
It's great that the Switch is selling a lot. It's a great platform.

I just find it disconcerting that Nintendo is able to achieve this with the broken hardware design of the joy cons. Makes me wonder what kind of jank we have to live with for the next Switch.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Craziness! It's a very nice console.

It's in a bit of a rut in terms of new games but I'm thinking that will be corrected in 2022.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Does the Deck have Nintendo games? No. Then it's not going to affect the Switch. Switch owners/potential owners are used to their games not playing as well on other platforms. That they play better on the Deck won't affect it because, as we can see from software sales, the Switch's allure is handheld "console gaming" + NINTENDO games
Yeah, overall the deck won't even matter in regards to the Switch. In addition to what you said, even if it was a blowout success it would still be at least 2023, probably 2024, before the Deck would be widely available, by then the OG Switch will be getting replaced, and native ports on the Switch's successor would wildly outperform those same games on the Deck.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Switch Evergreens - Japan vs. Overseas*

FuoT9He.png

*FY2021 3 of 4 quarters

Cross your fingers that Splatoon 2 crosses 1M this quarter and makes the list!

BOTW continues to outperform everything outside of MK8D/ACNH outside of Japan. Overseas, it'll cross 25M this year (soon if we include Wii U), and 30M in a couple of years. And even in Japan, its starting to seem like it'll leg up to 4M. In the US, I think BOTW2 will have a good shot at topping SSBU's 3.65M exclusive physical launch record (depends more on launch timing within the tracked month than anything else).

SMO will make it to 3M in JP by end of 2022 and crossed 20M outside of JP!

MK8D on the verge of passing 40M outside of Japan and cruising to >7M in Japan, higher than that is dependent on sequel timing.

LGPE super steady, should ship another 1.2M this FY outside of JP.

ACNH is about half a year away from crossing 30M outside of Japan. Unsurprisingly, legs have more life overseas than in JP - it will probably chart for a decade.

Last edited:

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Evergreens - Japan vs. Overseas

FuoT9He.png

BOTW continues to outperform everything outside of MK8D/ACNH outside of Japan. Overseas, it'll cross 25M this year (soon if we include Wii U), and 30M in a couple of years. And even in Japan, its starting to seem like it'll leg up to 4M. In the US, I think BOTW2 will have a good shot at topping SSBU's 3.65M exclusive physical launch record (depends more on launch timing within the tracked month than anything else).

SMO will make it to 3M in JP by end of 2022 and crossed 20M outside of JP!

MK8D on the verge of passing 40M outside of Japan and cruising to >7M in Japan, higher than that is dependent on sequel timing.

LGPE super steady, should ship another 1.2M this FY outside of JP.

ACNH is about half a year away from crossing 30M outside of Japan. Unsurprisingly, legs have more life overseas than in JP - it will probably chart for a decade.
Mario Kart….no words. Nintendo will have automatic momentum if they pair MK9 with the Switch 2 at launch.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Did they update the sales of Paper Mario Origami King at all? I couldn't see it anywhere.
Nintendo only gives software sales updates in these reports if they're in the top 10 software sold or if they've sold more than 1 million during the current fiscal year. Since it looks like Origami King isn't listed here, that means it sold less than 1 million between April and December 2021.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those software sales are insane, I'm very curious what the current number is. Incredible attach rate.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Splatoon 2 sold 470K during the first two quarters but the holiday season in Q3 wasn't enough to push it over 1 million. I think it'll probably pass the million mark for Q4, and if it does that'll most likely be the last time we ever get sales data for Splatoon 2.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
Including to the new sales data this should put breath of the wild over 27 million copies sold total. I never thought I'd see the day when a Zelda title would sell anywhere close to that number.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
There is no way that Valve can produce anywhere near 20mil units a year, even if its a smash hit anyway. I don't really know what the number is, but they will be severely constrained by supply to the point that even consumer who might prefer a Deck could end up just buying a switch anyway.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
On one hand, I'm so happy with the Switch's success. Nintendo succeeding is awesome.

On the other, the Switch's hardware is horribly dated and has been for years now. Desperately need a revision and that's less likely to happen while it's selling well.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
So according to this Nintendo generates less money in sales but still makes more net profit due to lower costs in production.
correct. nintendo is always profit focused, not revenue focused. their hardware is either sold at a profit or on track to sell at a profit not long after release. this has always been their strategy.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There is no way that Valve can produce anywhere near 20mil units a year, even if its a smash hit anyway. I don't really know what the number is, but they will be severely constrained by supply to the point that even consumer who might prefer a Deck could end up just buying a switch anyway.
Deck would be a massive success for Valve if they can sell 10m in its lifetime. People don't understand how low the shipments will be compared to those of traditional consoles.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I think they actually said 10
I know they just recently said ten with this being "halfway" through Switch's lifecycle but have they always said that? I could have sworn they've talked about Switch having a longer life than usual console generations but got it in my head somewhere that they specified 7-8 years instead of.. what even is the normal lifespan, 5-6?

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
People are bumping the "Kimishima thinks the Switch has the potential to reach Wii-like sales" thread at the old place lol. I remember when Kimishima made that statement back in 2017 and people were going nuts and here we are now. Unreal.
Ha, I had to double check that thread to make sure there will be no crow in my diet.
I'm starting to think that this thing has potential to take off.
I thought it would have more to do with the tech, but really I think it comes down to convenience and portability.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
The real question now is... Will it surpass DS?

To be honest, it will mostly depend on Nintendo's ability to continue supporting the system. And looking at 2022, this support is clearly not slowing down. On the contrary.

I was skeptical, but as Switch is still selling strong, I don't think 150M would be impossible. Difficult, but increasingly less hypothetical.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
Am I reading correctly that Breath of the Wild sold to date 25.8M? Wasn't Twilight Princess the best selling Zelda title before with ~8M sold? If my math is right, we could say that this Zelda has been heavily democratized across the gaming landscape.

Also, worth mentioning, Breath of the Wild 2 is scheduled for release for 2022.

While Metroid Prime 4 is scheduled for release "TBA", unfortunately.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Insane level of success after the Wii U, and well deserved. My wife and I love our Switch Lites lol.

Whenever Nintendo releases a successor to the Switch, I hope digital purchases will transfer over. Would give me tons of incentive jump-in early and upgrade.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Insane level of success after the Wii U, and well deserved. My wife and I love our Switch Lites lol.

Whenever Nintendo releases a successor to the Switch, I hope digital purchases will transfer over. Would give me tons of incentive jump-in early and upgrade.
God I freaking hope so