• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Virtuos is HQ'd in China no? But they have teams all around the world. I'm assuming this implies it's a Chinese team on the port. Was Starlink Switch by a Chinese team at Virtuos? Because that was a very high-end port and turned out beautifully, and I assumed that was what got them the job for Outer Worlds' Switch port.

I think their HQ is in SIngapore, but most of their workforce is in China (big office in Shanghai, for example). They did work on Starlink, and have a good rep in general these days.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me physical means "buy a box in store", first and foremost. As a pc gamer, buying a box with a code is pretty normal, and has been so for years at this point. EVen then, people still buy those boxes (especially here in Germany), because they don't want to buy online, prefer using cash or want to give them as a gift.

Still, that's a box with a code to download the digital version of the game. Physical release means you get the game on physical media, which you can then do as you wish with. Lend it to a friend, sell it, etc.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Virtuos is HQ'd in China no? But they have teams all around the world. I'm assuming this implies it's a Chinese team on the port. Was Starlink Switch by a Chinese team at Virtuos? Because that was a very high-end port and turned out beautifully, and I assumed that was what got them the job for Outer Worlds' Switch port.

I REALLY hope this doesn't imply some of the team got infected by the virus. :'( But it's not definitely fatal right? There's no "cure", it's more like a cold, it has to basically leave the system overtime, but obviously under heavy medical moderation, from what some at my local hospital told me anyway.

They clarified that:

The team is ok 👍

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Lend it to a friend, sell it, etc.

That is definitely how not we use the term in PC development, no. Cause that hasn't been the case for 90% of physical PC games for year. And, as others have pointed out, this is far from the first Switch game to have a code in a box, so I am a bit surprised how many haven't heard of the concept before.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
wonder why this delay allows them to put it on the actual cart

Physical mastering can take a lot of time, and the game must be "finished" much earlier than with a digital-only release. I assume that before their timelines were very tight to hit the end of the finance year. Now that this pressure is gone, they have more time.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
1) Obviously I wish the best for the team's health. I will never be upset about an announcement like this
2) Being on a cartridge is cool (I'll still get it digitally tho)
3) This works out great for me because it'll probably come out long enough after Animal Crossing that'll I'll be down to play something new

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear that the team is okay (which really is the most important take away right now)!

Cool that the game will be on the cart, I'm not a fan of code in box releases.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And just like that I'm interested again.

Here's hoping it's the whole game and not half of it and a huge download required.

Be safe Virtuos.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is definitely how not we use the term in PC development, no. Cause that hasn't been the case for 90% of physical PC games for year. And, as others have pointed out, this is far from the first Switch game to have a code in a box, so I am a bit surprised how many haven't heard of the concept before.

This is a console game though. I'm aware things have worked differently on PC for some time.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't a new concept, but categorizing "code in a box" as a physical release is baffling. All it is is a digital copy you happened to buy in a store, no different than getting a digital download code card without a box.

That being said, what these affected studios are doing is the right call in regards to the virus. I hope all those affected are safe and stay healthy.

Oct 26, 2017
Delay it. Safety is more important than any game. Seems the Devs have also heard the desire for a real physical cartridge. Good for those that want it.

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
Hope everyone is safe. Great to have the game on a cardridge, i believe it will drive up sales as well.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Now they got me back! Wasn't gonna buy an empty box with a code. Also well done at looking after their employee. I hope everyone is safe