• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vegeta'sKakarot

Alt-account.
Banned
Apr 11, 2019
I only use it in the house but damn it's so convenient, just lovely stuff.

Yet again, toilet gaming is best gaming.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Being able to play whenever I want has made me buy more games than any other console before, even 3DS. I'm not at all concerned with graphics parity, I just want to play the game and have fun!

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
For the more cartoony looking games/indies switch handheld is beyond awesome.

For some games, I would rather play docked, but for some RPGs where I am just wanting to grind out XP, it is awesome to take handheld and just lay in bed.

Phoenix Wright trilogy looks amazing handheld btw. I mean, not that there is much going on graphically anyways, but it looks just as good handheld as it does docked.

Btw how does Doom look for whoever has played it handheld?

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to only have a larger amount of time for handheld systems to devote, so I get a lot of use out of the handheld mode of the Switch.

And for Smash, I got that 8BitDo wireless adapter thing that lets me use the GCN controller in handheld mode.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
I play about 95% handheld these days and it doesn't ever leave the house except maybe once a year on a trip. I never expected to play it this much handheld, but it's so quick to fire it up and an intended 5 mins turns into much longer. I'm really hoping that mini switch does it right, whatever that means.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still very on the fence about the Switch. I find it to be a not too good handheld, and a not too good home console. It's too big and clunky to be a good portable. I really, deeply miss the 3DS days: I could just drop my 3DS in my pocket and carry it with me without having to use a huge case. I mean, I still can do exactly that, but you get what I mean. And as for a home console... it's clearly not the best way to experience current-gen games.

I'm really concerned about Pokémon S&S. I wonder how I'll ever get used enough to the Switch to play it :/

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Got it day one and have almost only played it handheld.

To be honest it's mostly because when home it competes with the PS4 pro, which itself has a hard time competing with my gaming PC. Switch is great but it's not as good an experience imo.

I've really enjoyed it on the go, recently started civilization 6 and it's great. Have played it on TV when at other s people place for Smash and Mario kart (no rooftop though).

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I played exclusively on handheld until a year ago or so when I got a new tv.
TBH I still play mostly in handheld.
Most of the games work flawlessly, apart from the really demanding ones (XB2, iD games).
The weight is higher than a normal handheld, but it is lightweight enough for long playing sessions.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing exclusively in handheld mode, and it has been great. That being said, there's only one correct way to play Skyrim, and that's on PC with mods.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have played maybe 2 hours docked, so yeah I'm a handheld only player. Just love it, to me it's the best way to play it. Otherwise it's "just" another console

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Out of all the games I have on my Switch, Super Smash Bros is the only one I play on TV.
It's like 95% of my time is on handheld mode and I love it.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I used to play docked until I realized it's just a crippled X1/PS4 (which I have at the side) for me that way. So now, undocked only. It's good but not great. Those sub-screen resolution games really stand out and even Nintendo has its fair share of them. Switch Pro can't come soon enough.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
I played it docked exclusively for the first year or so but when I got through the Marios and Xenoblade 2, I moved over to handheld. At first it was for Monster Hunter but currently it's Warframe.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's better than holding a 3DS for a long time at least, I have big hands and didn't end up with numb pinkies yet unlike the 3DS.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Exclusively handheld here, I love it. It can get a little uncomfortable in long periods of playing though

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I only use it in handheld mode, and have played through Skyrim twice on it on the train. Feels fine to me, but then I only really use portables these days and and still amazed to have games like that and BotW on a portable system. Played through Diablo III as well, that was cool.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It's a great experience, I use it a lot while commuting. But you absolutely need another charger, as battery life can become pretty short for most demanding games.

I'm really taking advantage of its hybride nature, undocked while I'm away, just suspend the game when you're arriving home, then continue it on the big screen when the kids are in bed.

Dec 2, 2017
I have owned a switch since launch and never once used the dock or even taken it out of the box. No complaints at all, it's a great machine for all kinds of gaming.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I never play it docked so can't really compare on the graphics trade-off but it works as well as I expected and I use it around the house in the same way I use a tablet. But it still feels too big, vulnerable and expensive to throw in a bag or car and bring around with me, I still use my 3DS for that.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, it's been fine. I've stopped buying complex 3D games though. They just look like shit in handheld 90% of the time. Nintendo's in-house games tend to look okay but everything else, including Yoshi, is a blurry dynamic res mess.

Store pages should have handheld mode screenshots. It's such a pain having to look this up for games.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I only play it handheld, use this grip for it:

pgg_hero_600x.png

The grip may look weird being assymetric but it's super comfy and makes it really nice to hold. Yes it does make it even bigger, but I don't really care about the size much and they sell grip bundles with two different cases that can fit the Switch with the grip on. One of the cases is absurdly big, but the other's smaller and I much prefer it. My TV isn't really ideal to play games on so I've never really gotten into playing docked, preferring the convenience of handheld and just being able to play at my desk.
How good can you reach the ABXY buttons with this?
I read the review from Polygon and they said you have to stretch your thumb to reach the buttons and it´s mostly recommended for twin-stick, shooter type games (that I don´t play much).

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly a handheld player, Xenoblade was one exception as kept switching between docked and handheld when entering new areas.

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
How good can you reach the ABXY buttons with this?
I read the review from Polygon and they said you have to stretch your thumb to reach the buttons and it´s mostly recommended for twin-stick, shooter type games (that I don´t play much).
I can reach them just fine, I'd only think it'd be an issue if you have small hands or maybe are using particular tall grips on the stick (I don't use the ones the grip comes with so can't speak for them)

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Will join the many who point out XC2 as a game that really does sort of suffer compared to the docked presentation. That image quality.

The vast majority of the time I play handheld and it's typically great, though! I don't feel any less likely to get a hard moon in Odyssey or do well in a Splatoon match or anything.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's really good. Played through the entirety of Skyrim (for the 20th time), Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey and Travis Strikes Again in handheld mode and loved it.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I hardly ever dock mine, but when I do its kind of mind blowing that you are playing something that was handheld a minute ago. The only game that I've noticed a downgrade in is Xenoblade Chronic 2, but it isn't unplayable, just kind of bad looking.

The only problem with it is that I tend to get hand/wrist pain after playing it handheld for a while, that I never get from using a controller or from the 3DS. I really hope they release a handheld focussed version of it that's more like the size of a 3DS, because the current version is too clunky to be a proper handheld.

The problem with that is that if they make the screen smaller, the text in some games will become completely unreadable..

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I only play it in hand held. It's tough playing nes games (anything requiring great d pad play.) I don't even have the dock hooked up anymore.

But i love it.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
The only time I dock my Switch is when my friends come over to play Smash. I absolutely love it as a handheld, and I bought it with the intention of it replacing my 3DS and Vita.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I only play handheld-modus and the Switch is a nice addition to my PSVita and 3DS.

I like it. It's a little bit too big gor an handheld, but for some ports that is fine. The text in Wolfenstein is quite small, so the bigger screen helps a bit.

Gpur

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I LOVE my Switch, I'm playing a lot of games on it, even games I enjoyed before like LA Noire, Skyrim (more than 100 hrs AGAIN), Rocket League and more, I'm playing 90% of the time in handheld mode and...guys, Nintendo really needs to improbe the joycons. The standard ones are so uncomfortable and after one hour my hands asks for mercy.

Some games also are battery suckers, this is another issue.
A part for that playing games, this kind of games, in handheld mode, on my bed or on the throne is absolutely priceless, I hope for a Switch Pro with better battery, better ergonomic shape and I'm in again.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this is a big reason why I don't use it as much. The size does work for it in some ways (bigger picture), but that also makes it harder to carry around (my Vita can fit in my lunchbox, on the other hand) and I find that it's too unwieldy to use as a handheld. The other issue is that the position of the right stick causes my thumb to cramp up after a while, which of course isn't helpful.

It's a good idea, and the flexibility is a very solid feature, but I'd intended to use it mainly as a handheld and find that I don't use it very much at all which is disappointing, to say the least.

As for XC2, it does get rough in handheld mode, and the resolution drops can be quite noticeable, but it does IMO play better than it looks in TV and pictures. I'm not someone who's super picky about resolutions, so when I play I wind up being being immersed in the game and enjoying it despite the resolution drops. If you're like that it should be okay.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Not only do I only play in handheld mode, I never intentionally detached the two controllers, too. I do not even use the dock for loading as I have no intention to get scratches on my screen. Looking forward to an optimized mobile-only SKU.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Best experience i've had with a handheld since the GBA.

I tend to only play indie tiles or RPGs on the Switch.

I love having an intense PS4 session and then chill out while laying on my bed with some relaxing NS games.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
I just play handheld, I consider Switch my dearly Vita's successor. Mine only gets docked when my daughter wants to play Just Dance or Mario Kart

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I play undocked 90% of the time nowadays. Still there are some quirks with playing the Switch in handheld mode. The battery life is only ok, the device itself isn't all that great to hold on to. And I'd love smaller bezels around the screen. Damn, those are annoying. Either make the screen larger within the same chassis or make the chassis smaller and keep the 6.2" display. The way it is now is the most unsatisfying imo.

I love the Switch overall though. Great concept, some of the best games on the market, and such a great handheld in terms of visuals/processing power coming from Vita & especially 3DS. I was completely stunned two years ago when booting up BotW for the first time and sucking in those visuals on the Switch screen.

Ironically the hybrid nature comes with its own quirks and I'm not sure that those can be outright fixed. Some games just don't work for me undocked due to their design/gameplay. Ironically the other way around doesn't bother me as much... More handheld style games on the bigger TV screen are fine, but more typical console style games often fail to impress me undocked. I e.g. hate to play stuff like Bayonetta or Splatoon handheld. I feel like those get very unenjoyable because the Switch's screen is too small for the action (Bayo) or moving around the camera is a chore (with/wo motion controls, Splat).

So, yeah, I have a few issues with the whole setup and I don't see how those can be fixed easily without compromising some of the games' original design choices and such. They just play better on the bigger screen with a separate controller, but that's just not the way I use my Switch most of the time.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I honestly regret purchasing a switch, other than BOTW, Octopath and Mario + Rabbida it's a dust collector for me.

I never use it docked during the rare times that I do play it. It's purely a handheld exclusives machine for me.