• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Switch owners who haven't played Dragon's Dogma, are you picking up the port next month?

• Yes! Day one!

Votes: 111 30.0%
  • Yes, but not straight away

Votes: 137 37.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 122 33.0%

• Total voters

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure at the moment. I've played it before but never finished it so I'd like to finally do so, but I also have a PC copy and I don't know if I want the performance of the PC version or the convenience of the Switch version.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, it doesn't look interesting to me at all. Most major last gen games didn't do it for me and I have yet to find a WRPG or a game that heavily leans into WRPG elements to be any fun. I hope the folk who are looking forward to it have a good time but it's a hard pass for me

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I had no idea this was releasing soon.
if Yoshi doesn't get in the way, maybe...
Then again my Switch backlog is getting rather huge...

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Have it on PC, never got around to playing it. Will pick it up on Switch as I'm more likely to play my games in Switch.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
depends on the price and how the game is on Switch. If everything is good then yeah ill be picking it up on the go.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
This is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, but even I, the Dragon's Dogma superfan have to admit that this is the epitome of a game that won't be for everybody. Also it's one of those games that you almost have to give a warning about its first few hours, because the game starts out very very difficult to the point where it can immediately turn some people off. But by the end of the game you're basically a golden god in that game and can destroy dragons in mere seconds.

Give it a try if you're on the fence and try and stick with it! It's got a lot of weird, esoteric design choices, but it's such a fun game world to roam around in. No game I've ever played feels as perilous as DD.
The first hours can be difficult along with
BBI... Around lvl 40 when I first entered (got destroyed) at BBI and had to spend 40min on a single boss fight. Worth it in the end.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
So its basically dugeons and dragons right?
Its sort of like...... combat that feels like Shadow of the colossus+ actual good melee combat.
You have a light attack button and a heavy attack button and also skills as well. Theres also a grab button you use to climb on larger enemies SOTC style, or to hold smaller enemies and throw them etc. There are a few different classes all with different abilities and most of them feel pretty great to use in combat.

On top of this the day+night cycle matters, if you go out at night esp at the start, you are already dead.
You need to make sure you have oil for your lantern and plan your journeys between places to make sure you aren't caught out at night.

The story is almost non existent except for the start and the end. But IMO it has a really neat and unique ending, its worth finishing for sure.

The quests are kind of just there, the characters are mostly uninteresting.
The combat tho is some of the most fun I've had in this kind of action rpg.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to play this game so badly for years but it wasn't on any platforms I had. Now it is everywhere but I have other games to play.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I had few people ask me for clarification with regards to the differences, if any, between the Switch version and other platforms.

At a high level, the Switch version is based off of the excellent PC HD port so you'll get all transferable features, content, bug fixes, and tweaks from that version.

Most of the points below have been showcased in the official Capcom TV Japanese broadcast, but to summarize:
  • UI elements/layout have been further optimized for the Switch port. Namely, the mini map, button/action displays, notification box, and pawn chatter message box have been pushed out further to the outer edges of the screen for better visibility.
  • Includes all previously released DLCs, pre-order bonuses, retailer-exclusives, and of course, the Dark Arisen expansion content. There is nothing else to purchase - it's all built into the base game. No Rift Crystal microtransactions from the original X360/PS3 releases so you'll need to earn them through normal gameplay and online pawn rentals.
  • Pawn chatter can be turned off in the Options menu for those who prefer a quieter journey.
  • Shortcuts can be assigned to the directional buttons for certain item use such as healing herbs and lantern.
  • Game runs at a capped 30fps on Switch; same as PS4 and Xbox One versions.
  • Textures are based off of the source HD material and are not repurposed from the original PS3/X360 release.
  • Output resolution: 720p in handheld and 1080p in docked mode. Full 16:9 aspect ratio and no letterboxing.
  • Does not require Nintendo online service to access Dragon's Dogma's online features.
Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I had few people ask me for clarification with regards to the differences, if any, between the Switch version and other platforms.

At a high level, the Switch version is based off of the excellent PC HD port so you'll get all transferable features, content, bug fixes, and tweaks from that version.

Most of the points below have been showcased in the official Capcom TV Japanese broadcast, but to summarize:
  • UI elements/layout have been further optimized for the Switch port. Namely, the mini map, button/action displays, notification box, and pawn chatter message box have been pushed out further to the outer edges of the screen for better visibility.
  • Includes all previously released DLCs, pre-order bonuses, retailer-exclusives, and of course, the Dark Arisen expansion content. There is nothing else to purchase - it's all built into the base game. No Rift Crystal microtransactions from the original X360/PS3 releases so you'll need to earn them through normal gameplay and online pawn rentals.
  • Pawn chatter can be turned off in the Options menu for those who prefer a quieter journey.
  • Shortcuts can be assigned to the directional buttons for certain item use such as healing herbs and lantern.
  • Game runs at a capped 30fps on Switch; same as PS4 and Xbox One versions.
  • Textures are based off of the source HD material and are not repurposed from the original PS3/X360 release.
  • Output resolution: 720p in handheld and 1080p in docked mode. Full 16:9 aspect ratio an no letterboxing.
  • Does not require Nintendo online service to access Dragon's Dogma's online features.

Sounds great! Any chance of patching in gyro controls when using bows?

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly not sure. Haven't really crossed my mind either when playing it as it controlled and felt exactly like the PS4/XB1 versions.
Well please keep it in mind as we Switch players love it when games support gyro controls for that extra precision. Thanks and can't wait for the game.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I was, but I still have a bunch of unfinished games I bought earlier this year. it's bad timing too because I'm getting 1 or more games a month until the end of the year. no time at all

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
No. Gameplay-wise, it doesn't seem to offer enough variation and surprises, and it's visually too gray and serious for my tastes.

I'm just not a fan of these kinds of games.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Played a little bit on xbox, but it never clicked. Everyone raved about the combat, but I thought it was ass. What gives?

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
well tons of people here clueless about the game

if you someone care about gameplay especially combat, love to roaming around fighting monster, this game is for you..best open world rpg combat,best bow handling(atleast for me) and spell caster..cool vocation(what job system being called),cool skills and armour

'janky' and 'clunky' is a words that definitely not match with this game..it made by dmc team and hideaki itsuno

early game random cyclops encounter already fun and better than skyrim's final boss..you can even climb on monster body,burn them,douse in oil,throw them into cliff etc..and you even need latern for going adventure at night

Last edited:

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Man tempting me big time. Never played it and not a fan or rpgs.... is the combat enough to over come that?
The combat in that game is all that matters and really good, in fact I'd go as far as to say to actively avoid talking to any NPCs unless they're obvious merchants or marked as quest characters for a better time with the game.

rebisdee

May 14, 2018
New York
Very tempted but I just started Xenoblade 2, so I'm not sure whether I'll end up taking the plunge on day one. It's already in my steam library but I'm not about to go back to it there with all the other stuff I'm playing on PC. Portable Skyrim was great and I would like something similar but with better combat, so this is probably right up my alley. It's at least wish listed for now.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's been sitting untouched in my Steam backlog for years now but I have the Switch version preloaded and ready to go. :)

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
Played a little bit on xbox, but it never clicked. Everyone raved about the combat, but I thought it was ass. What gives?
how many hours did you play? if just a bit earlier in the game, then you didnt even sratch the tip of iceberg..the game open when you reach gran soren where you free to go anywhere,exploring and had access to other vocation..each job play different and had own unique skill and each monster had their own weakness and method to fight..not necessary need fancy basic combat mechanic for combat to be good..this game do and execute things right..even swing weapon around feel satisfying, not to mention once you hit monster with tons of unique skills

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Steam version, and I played it a bit on PC, but it never really grabbed me. Perhaps having it on the Switch with it's portablity will make me feel more invested in it.