• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
No drifting on my launch Switch afaik, but I lost both analog stick rubber caps. :(

I need to research a good replacement for them, as it kinda sucks playing games by pushing on hard, seemingly scissor-thin plastic.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I am having some strange issues but I don't know if it is game or not. Probably Drift but don't know if it could be interference from TV.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Ever since I moved, my couch is further away from the switch and I now experience the connection issues with the blue joycon that everyone else reported for so long. It sucks but I have a pro controller so I just mainly use that.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
My right Joycon disconnects when playing Splatoon 2 online but has been happening less often after putting my switch a bit closer, reading so many with drifting issues makes me a bit worried, specially since I've been playing Smash a lot, I wonder if I should invest at least for the time being on a Bluetooth adapter to use my DS4.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have my launch unit grey JoyCon and they have no technical issues. They are starting to look a bit worn though and I really want a new pair. Just can't bring myself to spend the money on those Mario Odyssey red JoyCon via import. I'm disappointed that we don't have more color options yet.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bought an imported pair of the Mario red Joycons. My left joycon slides off at the slightest bump and my right joycon frequently disconnects when I don't have it on the system. I still have a backup pair that came with the console, but I put a new shell on them and it turned out slightly janky.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this was asked and answered so forgive me, but for drifting analog sticks, is sending them in to Nintendo the only solution? What if they're out of warranty or whatever? I bought my set in June 2017 I think. I've tried the calibration stuff and no dice. :(

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Not well. My 2nd set is great. The vibrate on my colored set is a bit off and my son's original grays has issues with the sticks. Not really a fan of the joycons. All my other electronics and controllers are in mint condition. Only had one issue with an Xbox controller in my life before this. Gonna replace them and maybe get a custom shell put on.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
No drifting on either set of joycons, but right right joycon from my neon yellow set (which I bought just a few months ago) has the disconnect issue... super annoying. It happens even when my docked Switch is less than 3ft away. It *seems* to happen if I hold the joycons down in my lap and the top of my desk is "in between" the joycon and the dock. The desk top is made of concrete, so maybe that is part of the issue, but my neon red/blue joycons that came with the system don't exhibit this behavior at all.

I had planned to buy the red/blue joycons (so I could do all red or all blue), but now I'm not sure I want to spend the $70 after seeing how the neon yellow have worked out.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
The stick on my OG right Joy Con drifts, but that's because I fell asleep on it one night and cracked the dome casing on it while tossing and turning.

The "safety" on my replacement right Joy Con is iffy. I dropped it once, so that little nub that locks the tablet in place is unreliable. Most of the time it holds, but I'm always afraid it'll slide out while playing in handheld mode.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this was asked and answered so forgive me, but for drifting analog sticks, is sending them in to Nintendo the only solution? What if they're out of warranty or whatever? I bought my set in June 2017 I think. I've tried the calibration stuff and no dice. :(
Have you tried lifting the little cap that's underneath the analog nub and blasting air into it???

Do that to it in general underneath the nub too.

Oct 27, 2017
No drifting on either set of joycons, but right right joycon from my neon yellow set (which I bought just a few months ago) has the disconnect issue... super annoying. It happens even when my docked Switch is less than 3ft away. It *seems* to happen if I hold the joycons down in my lap and the top of my desk is "in between" the joycon and the dock. The desk top is made of concrete, so maybe that is part of the issue, but my neon red/blue joycons that came with the system don't exhibit this behavior at all.

I had planned to buy the red/blue joycons (so I could do all red or all blue), but now I'm not sure I want to spend the $70 after seeing how the neon yellow have worked out.
I'm sure you're aware, but I would really recommend just doing the foam fix.

Felaipes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I take lot of care with my joycons, but the left one has major drift in the Y axis and it sucks.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
I've been suffering from it for a long time, but tried that Calibrate Control Sticks option from the settings and it was helpful

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Older thread, but worth the bump considering current issues. Will be nice to compare previous responses to current ones.

I got my left Joycon back from Nintendo less than a month ago with the drifting issue "fixed".

It started drifting again yesterday. No twitchy games have been played on it, either... Just Pokemon let's go and Baldur's Gate.

WTH Nintendo?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Mine are fine far as I can tell. I bought the Switch I believe the first christmas it was available. But I don't know what exactly this drift problem is... I mostly use it handheld so if it is something i"d only see when they are detached that might be why.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Mine are fine far as I can tell. I bought the Switch I believe the first christmas it was available. But I don't know what exactly this drift problem is... I mostly use it handheld so if it is something i"d only see when they are detached that might be why.
nah, it doesn't matter whether they're attached or not since it's an issue with the sticks themselves

seems like some people just have better stick luck than others

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Don't have any problem with drifting, only occasional bad bluetooth signal on my right Joycon where it sometimes doesn't register inputs when theres something between console and controller.

Oct 26, 2017
Right joycon has stopped charging/working. Can't even use my Wii U pro (w/8bitdo) controller because I need a right joycon to start it :| It's probably had 100 hours use tops.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Two pairs, neither has ever had drifting problems. One of my left 'cons will sometimes refuse to charge -- and will drain even if attached to the system -- until I do a system restart, which is annoying, but the only issue I've encountered.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Mine isn't considered a launch one...or is it? My sister got it for me for my birthday in June 2017. They are still holding up I even recently came to the conclusion that the sticks are much better for SNES games vs the D-pad.....something I used to consider blasphemous (Heh been playing a lot of that too).

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Got my Switch late 2017. About a year later the left joy-con started drifting. It wasn't so bad at first but got progressively worse until it made basically every game unplayable. Someone gifted me a new, separate set; so far they're working ok but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't run into problems again as I hear even the ones sold separately may have drifting issues...

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Mine are great, I barely use my Switch, I think thats the key, I played a bit when Mario Maker 2 came out, but that was with the awful D-pad on the joy cons, I have a Pro Controller since day 1 too, that helps lessen wear on these awful little things.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Sent them twice in less than one year due to drifting. My Switch is the one with the Mario Odissey bundle, will be 2y.o. by the end of next month.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Launch unit, no drifting issues.

I mostly play docked with a pro controller so that might be a reason.

Gold Link

Apr 24, 2018
After 1 years, I got drifting issues with both sticks. so, I sprayed bw-100 and it healed to original state. now functions like baby. but, left joycon got loose when it attaches to handheld mode. if i push left joycon to upperward, it just moves. that's bad.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My original left JoyCon drifts, but at least it makes for a good dedicated thigh strap buddy now.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Shit. The funny thing I bought second one for $80 and its also shit.

I can't play action games with it I gotta boot up my switch pro.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
original joy cons had drift, replaced them earlier this year...new ones still holding up.

I need to send the original ones in for repair since it's free.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
joycons are fine
but my pro controller is drifting like crazy all of a sudden. what do i do