• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Getting a second switch

• Yep

Votes: 163 11.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 987 67.1%
  • Considering it

Votes: 320 21.8%

• Total voters

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are ya? I'm considering it as a dedicated handheld to take with me on trips. The fact that you can't transfer all saves gives me pause though.

Wrong forum, oops.

Aug 1, 2018
Nope. The whole purpose of me getting a Switch in the first place was because I could just grab it out of the dock and take it on the go.

Don't need a 2nd one to do that.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting the Lite, but i'm undecided on if I am going to keep my launch Switch (and thus have that as the secondary), or if I'm going to sell my launch one and just go with the Lite.
I am 99%-1% Portable to TV, to the point that I actually can remember each time I docked the switch (once after 6 months of owning it because I finally took the Cradle out of the box, Once when I got a new TV cause I wanted to make sure the HDMI port was working, Twice to play Smash online, once to try Tetris 99 on a big screen to see if it helped, and earlier this week to start Fire Emblem)

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I've got the Pokemon one on preorder, but currently it's just for consideration. I'm not sure if Nintendo's current save and digital content sharing mechanisms would really work well with my use-case for the thing, which would be to use the Lite as a commuting and travel Switch while leaving my launch model at home. Luckily going for the Pokemon one gives me an extra couple months to take in reviews & testimonials from buyers of the standard version.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I preordered the Lite, but I'm still hedging whether to keep it. I've been wanting to get a second switch because it has basically become my daughter's console, but I'm still undecided; plus I'd probably give the lite to her and that would have to be the primary, which would suck.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yup. My base Switch will be permanently docked for games like BotW2 and Luigi's Mansion and my Switch Lite will become my new primary machine for everything else.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
I don't really see why anyone would pick this over the original. It's not that substantially smaller, and the lack of docking is such a big deal for me.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Nah, I'm happy with my launch day Switch. I might exclusively play handheld, but the Lite's screen size is just too small, I can't go back (not to mention the risk of irreplaceable stick drifting). On the other hand, I would definitely trade it in for a more powerful Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
Probably not, at this point I'm not really trusting the experience of two simultaneously used switches to be seamless as it needs to be

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I use mine docked 99% of the time. I'm also unsure about how to access my digital library across multiple Nintendo devices. I haven't really looked into it with the Switch, but I've been burned me multiple times in the past, with purchases trapped and lost on old hardware that was broken or lost.

Cbrun44

I believe it's safe to assume there is no situation where I can be playing on the docked system and then quickly move over to the Lite picking up the same game at the same place. Let alone, being able to have the same single digital game playable on both systems. With that being the case, there really is no reason to have a second personal system.

That being said, I'll probably get my kids a Lite to keep them off my tv.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not. I play my Switch exclusively in portable mode, however, the lack of joy con exchanging, docking, etc have killed it. I also think the Switch is portable enough as it is.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
No, we have ours docked to our TV and never use it as a handheld so no reason for another one. I have no idea why people would want to look at a tiny screen rather than a large TV screen.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I play undocked 99% of the time but the Switch lite doesn't really interest me. I'd go for a beefier Switch that came with a 1080p screen in a heartbeat though.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Wrong part of the forum?

I probably won't since I played dock but I might next year

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Nope. Once my OG switch croaks, I'll probably pick up another one of the original.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Passive aggressive snide complaint : since it doesn't support basic streaming or anything really, this should be in gaming. I would actually travel with my switch if it multitasked.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I believe it's safe to assume there is no situation where I can be playing on the docked system and then quickly move over to the Lite picking up the same game at the same place. Let alone, being able to have the same single digital game playable on both systems. With that being the case, there really is no reason to have a second personal system.

That being said, I'll probably get my kids a Lite to keep them off my tv.

The same digital game is playable on two systems but there are hoops to jump through (basically the secondary system needs to be logged into by your primary account AND needs to phone home for authorization so needs an internet connection). And at least right now you have to manually sync up your cloud saves (if your game offers it) to go from one switch to another. I'm really hoping we find out more about improvements to this system before the Lite launches.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yep.

We only have one TV and I want to play multiplayer stuff like Pokemon and Animal Crossing with my wife.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Not interested in the Lite until we know the joycon drift issue has been rectified. After that, might consider replacing my personal switch with a Lite since I play it in handheld mode most of the time.

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is already portable, I don't think the difference in size is significant enough. Also, the revised version of the regular Switch is a better portable because of the much better battery life, imo.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Nah, I'm fine with what I have since it's 90% of the time docked. I'll get an enhanced Switch if there will be one

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Nope. Not until they can prove they've:

1) Made it to where I can easily switch between my regular and lite at anytime
2) Fixed the joycon drift issue permanently

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm good. I do have friends who want to leave the OG in the dock and just take the Lite everywhere with them, but... nah, I'm good.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I'm honestly tempted because I can't in good faith carry my regular Switch with me as a handheld device but I really don't like the color options that the system launches with. I'm too boring for yellow and turqoise and the grey is way too bright. Not helped by the white buttons.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I never play docked anymore and I'm more into having a smaller unit. I'll take two. One for me and one for my wife. Anyone looking to buy my OG? Lol

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a sucker for new hardware, and that Pokemon one looks damn good, so count me in the yes pile.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
No, if we get another we'll wait for the "pro" version if it ever comes into being. Losing the option of docked play just isn't worth it.

We had a second Switch we got as a wedding gift but I traded it for a second PS4 Pro - I may need a second Switch in the future at some point but we'll get the base model at the least.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I already have 2 switches, this would be the 3rd ... but I don't personally need one... My kid is saving his moneys though ... so I bet my household will evetually have one later this year or early next

If it goes on sale for around $150-160, I would definitely pick one up!

I can't be bothered to undock my Switch for more graphically intensive games (BoTW), due to battery life and form factor.

This seems like a happy medium.

Oct 29, 2017
A major part of the Switch is one device for docked and portable use. I'd have absolutely no need for a Lite when the point of the Switch is that it can be undocked easily.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I always play in portable mode anyways so my daughter will get the original Switch and I will get the pokemon one.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Yep, third machine really...

Switch (1) is a hacked machine, Switch (2) is a legit machine that I will probably give to a family member, Switch Lite (getting the SwSh model so its not completely pointless) will be my main machine. Love portability.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I play my launch day Switch 95% portably and I see no reason to get another one (or replace it at all yet). I actually like the larger form factor.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, even if i needed a second switch i'd get the OG. At the end of the day the new switch has less functionality.

Spudstercool

Jul 14, 2019
As long as syncing my downloaded games and cloud saves is seamless, I'd be happy to get a second one for travel and such.

I'll wait for hands-on reviews though, to make sure the screen isn't significantly cheaper/poorer.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Not being able to dock is a big enough issue for me to avoid it. There's also me not really knowing how Nintendo handles or plans to handle multiple devices on one account. If it's not seamless to play on one switch and continue on another then I won't be getting a second switch lite or otherwise.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Nope since it doesn't have tv out planning on just getting another plain switch.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Main reason I'd do it is if I can find a cheap used/refurb unit and then it would mostly be for, like, Mario Maker.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, I already have a Switch, for which the entire selling point was being portable.