• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vivid or Standard?

• Vivid

Votes: 306 53.8%
  • Standard

Votes: 200 35.1%
  • Both on a game-by-game basis

Votes: 63 11.1%

• Total voters

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so after playing New Horizons on a clear sunny day going back and forth between standard and vivid as I toured my island I do think standard looks a bit better here.
I still think it's going to be a game by game basis for me still however because I played Tetris Effect and I think that looks better in vivid.
It's a shame they don't have per-game options for this (and for controller remapping).
It might be even better if the developer could set a preferred default.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of Triple A games use reference and of course there are a bunch of devs, specifically indies that don't. I'm still going to argue that most will have a monitor that's setup closer to standard than vivid. I can't imagine first party Nintendo games aren't mastered to some sort of standard.

I have zero doubt in my mind that Nintendo uses reference quality monitors to master their games. How could they not?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Went to the eShop to confirm my oled was the primary console. Immediately turned off vivid mode lol, that shit's too much.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
vivid is always overkill to me on the TV, will definitely try it when i get my switch oled but man it really blows out the saturation on a lot of stuff and ruins the image, kind of like some of those PC saturation mods that people love, when all they do is kind of shit up the image with excessive color. and i love color, but man. its likely really gonna depend but theres no way I would blanket keep it on i dont think

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Standard is kind of dull looking on the OLED

The problem is my iPhone 13 looks kinda dull after I've been staring at a Switch OLED set to vivid. But my iPhone display is not dull, it's perfect and vivid on Switch is oversaturated and the reds in particular are simply too vivid.

If that's what some prefer, that's fine, but I wouldn't want this kind of image to become the standard.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Vivid is default, right? I don't think the comparisons to vivid mode on TV is fair. Nintendo is making a decision about what will be most impressive. Until I have proof otherwise, I'm going to trust their default selection. This isn't a must-stand-out-on-the-show-floor situation.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Vivid is default, right? I don't think the comparisons to vivid mode on TV is fair. Nintendo is making a decision about what will be most impressive. Until I have proof otherwise, I'm going to trust their default selection. This isn't a must-stand-out-on-the-show-floor situation.

Yeah, it's default.

I'm on record in this thread saying that I prefer the Vivid Mode too, and it even inspired me to attempt to get a somewhat close match on my docked Switch input on my LG CX. I've since reverted things on my CX as blown up large, it struck me as quite gaudy on a large screen though I did seem to get a few hues matching. I think the smaller pixel density of the portable screen helps the more saturated look along.

The one fault I find with our line of thinking is that not all devs are necessarily trying to make their games match Nintendo's own ideals. That's not stopping my preference for now, but just something I've been thinking about as I internally debate whether or not I'm sticking to my Vivid preference.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm a weirdo and wish Nintendo didn't even give us the option to choose.

I know I'm just going to end up head casing which mode looks better whenever I start up a new game. lol

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Standard for sure. The Vivid mode looks good for some stuff, but for other stuff you can tell that the scene does not look as intended at all. Standard on the other hand looks good all the time.

Every single artist is going to target a calibrated display, and the Standard mode is the closer of the two to being calibrated. If you care about artist intent, use the Standard mode. No developer will target the Vivid mode explicitly. By definition, designing around the Vivid mode means that it isn't "Vivid" anymore. It's the default for the same reason that every TV has insanely bad default settings. Hard to sell a new product when you can only see subtle differences once calibrated.

if you don't want to take my word for it, take a physical copy of a game you have where the box art is the same as the icon on the system. Place it next to your switch and look at which mode makes it look identical to the print.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
On the bright side vivid makes BOTW less washed out, at last.
I'm keeping vivid because what's the point, but it is indeed weird in most of the time.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Where do I find this setting? I only see options for brightness.

Kolma

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Nintendo seems to say the OLED just made the colors more vivid on their own and they included a standard option in case it was too much for people
Yamashita: Also, even though the colors have gotten more vivid with the OLED display, some customers may feel like the colors look too vivid. Taking that into consideration, we made it so that the player can select a standard color mode, to make it look like the conventional LCD display. If you prefer the vivid colors of the OLED display, you can keep it in the vibrant color mode that is default out of the box.
Source: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...oper-vol-2-nintendo-switch-oled-model-part-2/

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Standard it is, vivid is too much and sometimes it just looks terribly exaggerated. Plus I hardly play on handheld mode (even now that I've got the OLED for a week), so I don't really care that much.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Started playing with my Switch OLED yesterday and keep going back and fourth on this setting. Vivid looks way overblown but also pretty when brightness is a bit down. Standard looks just right with automatic brightness turned off and set to 100%.

I might use vivid in case I want to save energy with lower brightness.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
When docked, I play on a reference-quality display, so when I look at vivid mode, it is disgustingly over-saturated. Hell, even standard on the OLED screen is a bit on the saturated side. I'm much more impressed by the contrast than the colors, honestly.