• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vivid or Standard?

• Vivid

Votes: 306 53.8%
  • Standard

Votes: 200 35.1%
  • Both on a game-by-game basis

Votes: 63 11.1%

• Total voters

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Games are mastered in sRGB (Standard mode on Switch), there is no way of using Vivid in any accurate manner, it would only be useful for HDR but Switch isn't HDR anyway.

You can like it more but let's not pretend is the correct mode cause Nintendo is using it as default.
I don't think anyone is saying it's correct, it's just a mode that makes the OLED screen seem more punchy out of the box. Almost every TV does the same thing when you buy it.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
They never said it was the correct mode, they said it's Nintendo's preferred mode.
Nintendo prefers to display the games differently from what the developers envisioned? I don't think that's true. Nintendo wants consumers to see a bigger difference between the new OLED switch and the regular LCD variety through this disingenuous move. If they offered the same "vivid" mode on the regular switch the impression on the OLED would be much more muted which is sad because true infinite contrast is far more important to PQ than almost anything else.

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
Vivid all the way. I don't really care about accurate colors, I just care about the colors that "pop". I don't care about accuracy, just a really colorful image.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
just FYI, this is literally the worst example you could have given lol. Older paintings often look vastly different from the "artists intention" due to degradation of the materials used to create them over the years.

They already do not look like what the artist intended.
There is plenty of modern art but you get my point. You are just trying to be difficult.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo prefers to display the games differently from what the developers envisioned? I don't think that's true. Nintendo wants consumers to see a bigger difference between the new OLED switch and the regular LCD variety through this disingenuous move. If they offered the same "vivid" mode on the regular switch the impression on the OLED would be much more muted which is sad because true infinite contrast is far more important to PQ than almost anything else.
Nintendo commented on it or one of their developers did.

They said something like it shows off the new OLED tech.

I can't find the comment, it was posted on this board.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nintendo commented on it or one of their developers did.

They said something like it shows off the new OLED tech.

I can't find the comment, it was posted on this board.

Here: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...oper-vol-2-nintendo-switch-oled-model-part-2/

Yamashita: Also, even though the colors have gotten more vivid with the OLED display, some customers may feel like the colors look too vivid. Taking that into consideration, we made it so that the player can select a standard color mode, to make it look like the conventional LCD display. If you prefer the vivid colors of the OLED display, you can keep it in the vibrant color mode that is default out of the box.

He claims Standard makes it look more like a conventional LCD display.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
I find the colours in vivid mode really off-putting. Kind of reminds me of how GBA games that were designed to be visible on the original non-lit screen look on a screen with a backlight, with ugly overly bright and saturated colours. The screen looks pretty amazing in Standard mode anyway.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Here: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...oper-vol-2-nintendo-switch-oled-model-part-2/

This is a really stupid comment unless standard is just raising the black level to make it look like an LCD. 😂 The OLED screen they are using might cover more of the SDR color gamut than their LCD but that has nothing to do with the actual tech. Also as was posted earlier, standard mode scientifically measures much closer to what the color gamut should look like. I can see why Nintendo might use Vivid as the default but the comment from Yamashita is either purposely misleading or comes from a place of ignorance.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Standard. I like keeping the colors on all my displays as close to how they're supposed to look as possible.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't think that the Vivid setting on the OLED is anywhere near as drastic a distortion as typical TV torch/show floor demo modes, but I still prefer the Standard setting myself.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Pretty sure this is only a setting (and a default one at that) to exaggerate the screen upgrade between the models.

People can enjoy their displays with any preferred calibration but I don't like the general lack of care or even interest from device manufacturers regarding correct image reproduction, in the pursuit of more spectacular but wildly inaccurate general public impressions.

What I can say is that people should give standard mode a genuine try for a substantial period. It may feel desaturated at first, in the same way a warmer, accurate image may look yellow when so many devices are calibrated like a freezer, but in the long run your eyes will adjust and you'll enjoy a much more pleasant, intentional authored look to all your content.
(Well when you have faith in content and game creators working on properly calibrated displays themselves, which I know is very often not the case)

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Nintendo prefers to display the games differently from what the developers envisioned?
Games are vary rarely made on reference monitors. Likely some high end AAA games are, but we'd probably be talking games like The Last of Us Part 2. Certainly however, not games that end up on the Switch. Outside of some weird specifics (like how DOS VGA games were displayed as a 6bit palette despite being 8bit in memory), colours aren't really the thing that developers expect to be 100% accurate. Because aside from anything else, it's just not feasible to assume everyone can view your game on an identical display.

It's nice that you'd want to go through the effort to configure that but your average developer isn't really going to be all that fussed about the Switch colour profile.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'll stick to standard for now. Haven't really had a chance to play with my new Switch besides setting it up on its dock and transferring my account and saves, I just wanted it to be ready so that I can play Metroid all day tomorrow.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

Vivid mode.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Standard for me, one look at vivid and it reminds me of turning colour up to 80 on TVs to make it pop.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have both their old Switch and OLED???

I'm curious how much nicer the OLED is on the Standard setting than the picture on the OG Switch.

Obviously the difference between Vivid and the OG Switch is drastic.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have both their old Switch and OLED???

I'm curious how much nicer the OLED is on the Standard setting than the picture on the OG Switch.

Obviously the difference between Vivid and the OG Switch is drastic.
lol it's night and day difference just by nature of being oled. the original switch screen bleeds light non stop

OP
OP
SnazzyNaz

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I find the colours in vivid mode really off-putting. Kind of reminds me of how GBA games that were designed to be visible on the original non-lit screen look on a screen with a backlight, with ugly overly bright and saturated colours. The screen looks pretty amazing in Standard mode anyway.
Harmony of Dissonance mode.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Games are vary rarely made on reference monitors. Likely some high end AAA games are, but we'd probably be talking games like The Last of Us Part 2. Certainly however, not games that end up on the Switch. Outside of some weird specifics (like how DOS VGA games were displayed as a 6bit palette despite being 8bit in memory), colours aren't really the thing that developers expect to be 100% accurate. Because aside from anything else, it's just not feasible to assume everyone can view your game on an identical display.

It's nice that you'd want to go through the effort to configure that but your average developer isn't really going to be all that fussed about the Switch colour profile.
A lot of Triple A games use reference and of course there are a bunch of devs, specifically indies that don't. I'm still going to argue that most will have a monitor that's setup closer to standard than vivid. I can't imagine first party Nintendo games aren't mastered to some sort of standard.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I tried both modes playing New Horizons earlier and honestly both looked great. It was also at night so maybe not the best time, I'll try it again during the day when it's sunny out next time.

Oct 30, 2017
i can't believe vivid mode is the default. even the eshop orange nearly melted my eyes the first time i loaded it up.

was playing cruis'n blast earlier and my nissan GTR just looked like a red blob in the middle of the screen. (granted, that is a visually ridiculous game already)

there are games where it maybe makes more sense like tetris effect but i think i'll go with standard most of the time.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vivid is not the worst thing ever on this thing but I agree that it is disappointing that Nintendo included it as the default mode.

No game is really made with a vivid mode in mind.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

You don't need a reference monitor. Most PC monitors either have an sRGB mode, or are natively sRGB.
Most televisions these days have BT.709 color (same gamut as sRGB) if you switch them to a more accurate preset like "cinema" mode, rather than "vivid."
Of course a reference display is best, but so long as you aren't working on a super inaccurate wide gamut display/mode, it should mostly translate to other screens.

But there are many games which do look awful in their default state.
I have a strong suspicion that many Gen 7 games were designed on wide-gamut displays, since it was common back then for televisions to lack a good color-accurate preset, or even have color management systems capable of accurate color.

And I don't see the need to police what mode people use.
Inform people that standard mode is the most-accurate, and displays color as it should look, but if people want to use vivid mode, let them.
I will push back against people trying to say that vibrant mode is best because it's "what Nintendo intended" or anything like that, however.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Vivid helps the colors pop in almost a poor man's hdr way. It's not too saturated but helps primary colors look a lot better. Dread looks amazing in vivid and dull in standard.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So I just played Tetris Effect and that game is gorgeous on vivid.

Not saying it looks bad on standard as I tried it on that too but vivid seems like it's the way to play this game.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This is a really stupid comment unless standard is just raising the black level to make it look like an LCD. 😂 The OLED screen they are using might cover more of the SDR color gamut than their LCD but that has nothing to do with the actual tech. Also as was posted earlier, standard mode scientifically measures much closer to what the color gamut should look like. I can see why Nintendo might use Vivid as the default but the comment from Yamashita is either purposely misleading or comes from a place of ignorance.

He does not say "a conventional LCD display," he says "THE" conventional LCD display. He's just referring to "the previous Switch screen," which was already tuned to a fairly accurate color space, rather than the Vivid mode.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It is recommeneded to turn off Vivid in some TVs cus it crushes blacks and some colours. Dunno about Switch Oled though.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
So far, I've played Metroid Dread for nearly 3 hours. It's the only Switch game I've exclusively played on the OLED Switch, and 100% in vibrant mode. It looks fantastic!

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
I tried sticking with Vivid but it is literally garish. Standard looks perfect.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I initially said I preferred Vivid, but after some comparison, Standard is the more accurate mode. I have Hades on Xbox Series X as well as Switch and the Standard mode matches the color settings on my calibrated TV more closely than Vivid.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Okay, so after playing New Horizons on a clear sunny day going back and forth between standard and vivid as I toured my island I do think standard looks a bit better here.

I still think it's going to be a game by game basis for me still however because I played Tetris Effect and I think that looks better in vivid.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Standard is kind of dull looking on the OLED, so for me I'm playing on Vivid. It makes the colors stand out. On a TV set however, I would usually refrain from doing so since I went through the trouble of calibrating it.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I like vivid because the oled screen can make the color pop. That wouldn't look as good on a regular lcd.

I haven't tried all my games yet, but so far only Mario and Rabbids is the one game I would turn vivid off, it looks bad with it on.