• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, I wanted to make this thread for a long time, but was trying to find the rigth time and also work up the courage. Basically, i want to take a look at switch trajectory so far, and what it tells us about nintendo direction, past and current management, and to which public appeals or falls short. I writing this from memory, so i will not provide sources because anyone can fact check. However, there will be a lot on this that is based on my personal observations of nintendo and its leaders.

Origin: Switch came in a dire time for nintendo. After successive failing in launching 2 systems (3DS and WiiU), and only managing to turn around one that was alreadly in its twillitgh years(3DS), Nintendo recived yet another critical hit when the then CEO Satoru Iwata passed away. Besides, they were been constantly pressured in jumping into the mobile market by the shareholder that were eager to take advantage of Nintendo Inestimable catologue IP. And they eventually started dipping their toes on that, at the time, super exploitative market. From all this, one thing was obvious for everyone inside and outside nintendo: if they were going to keep being a plattaform holder, their next attempt at launching a hardware could not fail.

For these reasons, switch came in with a key difference from its predecessors while still holding most of the unique characteristics that nintendo products usually have: Presentation. Since switch reveal, nintendo has showed much more care and regard on showing its products in a slick and modern manner, while also adding a air of grandiosity to it all, even when its not really there. In it's marketing, switch is show as being more of a device that the young adult can bring everywhere instead of the source of fun for the entire family. In its construction, it replicates the look and feel of a modern tablet. Its OS is also snappy and direct. Gone is the "play with the OS" days of the 3DS, that offered multiple options of customization, gamefication and experiements that could or not be fun for some people. It only exist to bridge you to the games. In its games, now all major release have singing and cutscenes that are extensevily used in its marketing. Even the game developed by the division 1 of EPD, that historically are more funny programs than games, like labo and wii fit, are now presented in a more elaborated and immersive world, in ring fit adventure.

However, things were not so different as nintendo and others were claiming to be. From the diconnecting left joycon to the now drifiting sticks, It was pretty clear that the hardware was rushed of the door. Its still unclear how widespread the problem actually is, so its all down to speculation, and nintendo has done everything in its power to deny the need of a recall or redesing, and subsequent models have not helped at all. Of course, the problem is not fatal, but nintendo support has been spotty in some part of the world, and are even under class action suit because of it. Adding to this, switch security and functionality are low. Switch was easily hacked, and came even with a hardware exploit that only a remodel could solve. While it barebones software is probably necessary to have a snapping interface, funcionalities that took a while, but came anyway, clearly point out to development phase behind the schedule. No built-in voice chat, friend code, no browser, no netflix or twich app to this day. Hell, even youtube and legacy games support has ben added months if not years after launch, and they are still far from complete. Exatily like its previous system, those things are secondary for them and recieve very little investment in the grand schemes of thing. This has not changed at all.
Even switch form factor is a combinnation of some of it's predecessors. Nintendo made big changes to its presentation, but that was about it.

Games: Nintendo plattaform has the stigma of being matained by Nintendo games and their games alone. Nintendo has done very little to deter this notion, and sometime is even proud of being able to sustain its plattaform on its own. With switch, something very odd is happening in this regard, but lets first look at nintendo output in itself.

Like I mentioned before, there was a change in the way nintendo games are presented and sold, but not so much in its development. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo games are as good as they have always been, but its scope, deep and dev cycle has not really changed. 1,2 Switch was still wacky. Mario tennis aces had more scenery, but nobody who played the originals call it the best the franchise has to offer. Mario party 10 shock the formula and even added internet multiplayer, but had a very limited number of boards. Smash ultimate offered a a more elaborated singleplayer mode with spirits, but was as good as Brawl emissary? None of these games are bad, obviously, but they all cost 60$. Do they offer the best value? While nitenndo had two separate plattaforms, they could offer a option for those who doesn't want expend much in nintendo games, but still get it's unique stuff, but that option is much more rare now, unless you want a switch just to get your sushi strike fix.

Some claim that with the unified development "enviosioned by Iwata himself", Nintendo solved the problem of running short of development power to have great games released across all year. I dispute that tremedously. HD games cost way more than sd portable games, have different demands in term of scope and budget, so its not a case of we are just getting double the games now, like some seems to be imagining. We alreadly saw that with 2018 not having all much of hits in its catalogue as 2017, because making those games take multiple years. Actually, Nintendo has solved this problem using a more simple approach. Nintendo took great advantage of the failure of the wiiu with the switch, because switch has been recieving port of those games left and ritgh, and those are used to fill gaps to this very day. This also gave space for desingner to try new IPs, like ARMS. Since the mario kart was released closer to launch, and was a enchanced port, the main producer could work in something else. This last year saw a uplift on the quality of the games released, but one of the best ones was originally supposed to come in 2018, and to surprise of no one is the same team that only released games for portable consoles last gen. And hey! Wasn't animal crossing delayed too? Well, at least grezzo didn't delayed its released. But considering those framerates drop, maybe they should. Iwata knew that all that and warned that unifying those teams would not result in double the games, but somehow everyone ignored this part of his discourse.

Probably the team that proves this struggled from going from portable to HD is the pokemon team. Their first game had only 150 pokemon because, lets face, its all they could do in that period of time. Theirs second game will need DLC to have more pokemon but still wont match the content of the portable entries 3 years in.But they all cost 60$ now. So, while nintendo games are great, they are not multiplying, but are getting even more expensive Some are definitily worth, but not all off them, in my opinion.

Nintendo, acting like they always do, is not buying more development studios like other plattaform holders because they believe it takes time to teach developers how to get "Nintendo magic", which i agree, actually. So, more game exclusive for them depends on paternships, and this generation have been great in this regard actually. Astral chain and octopath traveler were a sucess, braverly default 2 and deadly premonition 2 are also coming along pretty well, and even bomberman was ressurected because of it. It must be mentioned, however, that not all those games are to remain exclusive.

In this segway, we now must discuss nintendo 3rd party support in general. Since switch is undoubtly a success, they all are there, but most with a caveats. Its inportant to notice that different from the wii era, switch competitor are doing just as well, so companies are not forced to go to nintendo to have healthy business. What this means is that having a entire team just to make a special version of your game for switch is out of the cards for most of them, so they only port to it if some port house is available to do it and if there is interest within. For this reason, almost every remaster come for the switch, since the porting process is simple enough. Not only that, but some switch owner are more intereseted in that, because the current gen only port switch recieves are mostly full of downgrades, and for those games, people would rather pay for it in the plattaform were it looks better. However, those downgrades don't sell bad at all.

In any way, even obvious games sometimes simple don't come to switch for unclear reasons that you can only speculate. Maybe it's the limited connectivity of the machine to the internet due to its portable nature, maybe it the limited power and storage, maybe its the stigma of nintendo beign a kid friendly company or never really catering to third parties enough. Whatever the reason, being rational or not, there is no guarantees. Of course, every publisher has its own stance. Ubisoft mostly bring last gen ports and mid buget games, but also provide exclusives or cloud only versions. Take two its a about he same, but they also release NBA. EA release only low buget stuff and a horrible port of FIFA. Activision bring PG remakes and most of blizzard stuff. WB bring most of PG stuff, and also mortal kombat. Konami bring everything that is not made in the Fox engine. Capcom bring tons of ports, but mostly late and overpriced, and cloud games too. Square enix really incosistent, but mostly they bring only the good games they make to switch, and even make some exclusives. Standing above all those, is Bethesda, with the biggest number of impossible ports of any publisher, going as far as trying to do day and date on some cases. Basically, take the wiiu support and invert, that is the switch support.

Switch has also become a heaven for free to play games and indies. At the start, nintendo was criticised for being very selective with the indie games that got to the eshop. However, this helped create a lasting impression that eshop was a heavliy curated(not the case anymore) store with quality games, which helped those who got in with incridible sales. There is also a discussion in here to be had that is the fact that seemly the most sucessufull stories on switch for third party are indies, while big AAA companies remain indifferent. Some could say that this is a result of a public more interested charm and unique, but is also plausilbe that people who use it as a portable don't see fit to pay full price for games in the machine, so its only interested on simple or quickier games. Recently nintendo changed the way its talked about its sales to be in term of dollar spent instead of number of copies, which could reflect that.

Leadership: This part is the though one, I will critise a lot of decision of current and past leadership, including the now deceased members, but please keep in mind that I do not mean to offend anyone directly, but actually bring a inspection of the direction nintendo is or not going. Maybe you should skip it.

The switch, since its inception, has gone trough 3 nintendo presidents alreadly, more than any other nintendo console in history. The first one, iwata, used to talk about a development of hardware that had the same internal parts, but mantained the different lines between portable and home consoles. Since he passed way 2 years before the release of the switch, it's unclear if making the switch being entirely hibrid was his decision. However, his ideas still echoed in the release of a form factor that was entirely portable last year, to attend to a market that could put 300$ in the machine. One thing for sure: Iwata firmily believed on the need of nintendo remain in the hardware business. He profoundly believe for nintendo to keep being unique and leverage its strengths, it need a space of its own to do things their way. Being responsible for the wii and the DS, he was probably sure that the highest nitnendo ever met was only possible because of that. so He was willing to keep going this path, even if meant havin a wiiu disater every once in a while. Even as he was forced into the mobile market later one, he express concern over the race to the bottom of that market and wondered what could be do before that businnes model becomes unsustainable.

After he passed way, takahashi assumed, and tried its best to stay true to the course iwata had set. Not having a background in development, he let actual developers run the project on its own, while still dealing with the challenges of launching a console. He managed to make the initial shortage of the switch go away before the holiday period, in order to achieve its selling goal, and manage to launch the machine across the globe in the same day. He also remained true to iwata philosophy of beign a hardware company first, and even on the mobile games released under him, he avoid any predatory pratice, and standed by it when criticised. However, he was not much of a public facing figure, so nintendo direct started to lose the charm, since voice over of PR personal started to taking over all the explanations iwata used to give.

Furukawa them assumed, and made his first main goal to assure nintendo had profit as big in the mobile space as in the console space. Also not having a background in development, he also doesn't interefere in the game development, and has given free reing to developers, which led to innovations like labo, ring fit adventure, and the pokemon controller. He also worried about nintendo switch being too expensive to every kid in a house, so he soon released the switch lite. However, he repeateely expressed his worries about nintendo being a console manufacturer only not being sustainable in the long term. I get his concern, but what ikrs me is under his management, we got 2 mobile games: dr mario and mario kart tour. They are also the games with biggest amount of cricism so far from user because of aggressive monetization model. Also, animal crossing also got a new subscription plan. While the first nintendo games had a more conservative approach in the mobile space, these latter ones are completly embracing what the mobile space has of worse

Mostly, furukawa has let developers run freely as switch has been a success, but what will happen if starts to miss its marks? Also, when questioned about nintendo switch not recieving some multiplattaform games, he was dimisive saying its unreasonalbe to expect that every game comes to the switch. Doesnt sound like someone who want to improve nintendo relations with all developers, does it? Will nitenndo stick to hardware no matter what? That said, i also have to recgonize that under him, nintendo let go of some forms of control they holded to for so long. Nintendo doesn't flag or take cuts of lets play anymore( i still remenber when iwata himself personally annouced they would start flag that kind of video). Switch account system can be shared between devices now too. So, credit to him.

Conclusion:
Switch is a sucessfull console, that has got great games, fit really well for those who can only play on the go, and has some of the best entries of the nitenndo franchises. However, its pricey, the hardware can be unreliable, has limited funcionality as a modern device and has no guaranteed support by anyone but nintendo at this point. Those who have seems satisfied, but is not really chaging the industry or pushing boundaries beyond its owns. If you like the games nintendo switch has ritgh now, this year is probably the best year to pick one up, since most nintendo consoles recieved its best games front load as opposoed to other consoles.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
at the moment i don't have a switch (gave mine to my nephew)

im gonna wait to see if a switch pro or whatever is announced at E3 or sommit before getting another one

don't want a switch lite (id maybe get one if it came in purple)

Sep 25, 2018
Maybe I missed it trying to read fast, but pricey in what way?

hardware unreliable in what way?

limited functionality ?

let me go back and read this

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those hardware issues you mentioned, coupled with the possibility of smaller bezels or longer battery life, is what's stopping me from purchasing a Switch right now. I have the money saved up for it and I'm just waiting to see if they announce a revision.

That and, man that Nintendo tax on their games is just bonkers. Mario Party and BotW still being full price turn me of from wanting to even get into that ecosystem.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
That and, man that Nintendo tax on their games is just bonkers. Mario Party and BotW still being full price turn me of from wanting to even get into that ecosystem.
for some games with nintendo i find it better just to wait for the eventual "nintendo selects" lines, where their older games that probably don't sell as well at 60 will be dropped to 20

this will happen to BotW eventually, but not for a while, not during the first wave of selects i dont think

not until at least BotW 2 and maybe even not right then

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Some of the points you mention are the reasons why I am not buying one. The games are 60$. Even older games that have already been released on previous Nintendo consoles or are multiplatform games that were released 5 years ago.
Even the older Resident Evil games are more expensive on Switch than they are on Xbox, PS or Steam.

I have to stop myself from buying it because I know I don't want to put myself in a situation where I am confronted with the thought of paying this much money for software that doesn't have great hardware to accompany it.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those hardware issues you mentioned, coupled with the possibility of smaller bezels or longer battery life, is what's stopping me from purchasing a Switch right now. I have the money saved up for it and I'm just waiting to see if they announce a revision.

Both of those games regularly go on sale. You don't have to buy them at full price.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for some games with nintendo i find it better just to wait for the eventual "nintendo selects" lines, where their older games that probably don't sell as well at 60 will be dropped to 20

this will happen to BotW eventually, but not for a while, not during the first wave of selects i dont think

not until at least BotW 2 and maybe even not right then
Good point, I forgot about the Nintendo Selects. So then...just have to keep waiting for those Selects to become a thing.

My wife doesn't play videogames, and usually gets frustrated with controllers, but we played Mario Party Switch at a friend's house and I've never seen her have so much fun with a game. That's why the waiting is tougher than usual because I've finally found something video-game related that we both enjoy and I worry that a better version of the Switch will come out the week after I make the purchase.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
A couple of things:

1. Pokemon is not Nintendo.

2. Uhhhhh..... Your whole rant about the scope of games falls way off. First off, Smash Ultimate has well over 6x the amount of content that Brawl has in stages and characters. Breath of the Wild is literally one of the most largest, and most expensive game Nintendo has ever produced. Mario Odyssey is the largest Mario game. Luigi's Mansion 3 has a lot more content than Dark Moon. And hell yeah, they are worth the price point. Also, these games also go on sale, and you can still get them used. BotW was just on sale like a month ago. You are going on this thing about the scope of Nintendo games, when for most franchises, every single one of these switch games are the apex of their respective franchises.

The new Switch's Battery is honestly the best you can really expect. 5-8 hours is honestly really good. Not even the potential revision could make it better. Unless the system itself is either twice the size, or has a completely new processor.

The joycon drift is also a bit of a non-issue if you are in the US.

Also, I totally understand about your wife as well. The Switch has gotten my fiancée into games, and it has been a joyous time. She absolutely loves a ton of Switch games(her favorite is Odyssey actually). But I do want to bring attention one thing. If you end up getting a Switch, only for a Switch Pro to come out.... Well. You can either trade your Switch in, or you can just have your wife have her own console. That's what myself and my fiancée plan on doing.

Just so you know, even if you can go all digital, you can seamlessly share games between 2 consoles as well.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but brawl super emissarry didnt age Well, the cutscenes were the best about it, and aside from it ultimate has better content and I would say better quality like the stages in ultimate are better that the ones in brawl, the new assit trophies are better animated and feels like characters and not glorified pokeballs, things like squad strike and stage builder are far better in ultimate, the classic modes are more creative that brawl ones, if not were for it lacks of cutscenes I would consider WoL better that subspace, for gameplay alone.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I do think the Switch isn't as great regarding games as people claim it to be (when you really look at the library it's pretty thin aside from ports), but Smash Ultimate is the last game I'd use as an example for this, it's pretty easily the best in the series for me and such a huge step up from the others. Probably the biggest Switch exclusive which would be a counter argument to it lacking great games tbh.

Sep 25, 2018
I have no problem with the post, it's his opinion with some assumption.

we will never know the full scope on the drift issues until Nintendo say something. we think because a lot of people complain that we are some how the majority but Pokémon hate group that came out recently before the release of the new Pokémon was on every website and forum talking about game freak and the laziness and etc, they even had YouTube videos, there was not website that you did not see people down talking Pokémon that it affected the people at game freak, but sales show the internet and the people who complain are just a very small minority. I can't even talk About joycon drift even tho I own a switch I only had it once and I have a launch Switch with launch pro controller and smash bros pro controller, and I play mostly in handheld and table top mode. I am not saying the ones who replace joycons two or three times wrong, I am only saying until Nintendo say something about we cannot assume.

its same way with dock, everyone complain in the beginning online but who knows how they scratch their switch I still do not have any scratch, I do not have any WiFi issues another small problem bring up but yet they forget switch WiFi technology is same as ps4 slim And PS4 pro which is a big upgrade over the original ps4.

im the type of person if I have a issue with a system i am sending it in same day. There was a lady who battery did not last two hours with breath of the wild she thought it was normal and others tell her the same. I told her send it in and now she got exact Number of time she was suppose to get playing breath of wild. My point is every system have defects.

games are much better than past handhelds, it's not the same, games are bigger and more to do. it's consoles games, not short made games to play on the go like past handhelds so the games are worth the price.

people on every website complain about how much their games are worth when they sell it at gamestop. Nintendo games get you back your money worth. I had Zelda physical and then I sold it on eBa, the value of the game was so high when you trade it in at gamestop i did not have to put the game less than 50 to start the bid. After that I only had to pay 8 dollars difference to get the digital version and since then I been digital may 2017 and never turn back. If you confuse, when it comes to switch you do not have to worry about your game going on sale in 2 to 3 weeks so you can buy in confidence and still be able to sell in confidence that you will make back the majority of your money.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mario Party 10 is a Wii U game. The game you're (probably) talking about there is called Super Mario Party. That's pretty much the only part of the OP I can parse right now. You claim in your introduction there that you could source your claims if you really wanted to but I'm finding that hard to believe. A lot of your points are... difficult things for me to imagine how you can back them up to say the least.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Some of the points you mention are the reasons why I am not buying one. The games are 60$. Even older games that have already been released on previous Nintendo consoles or are multiplatform games that were released 5 years ago.
Even the older Resident Evil games are more expensive on Switch than they are on Xbox, PS or Steam.

I have to stop myself from buying it because I know I don't want to put myself in a situation where I am confronted with the thought of paying this much money for software that doesn't have great hardware to accompany it.
If you know where to look at the right times (bestbuy, Amazon, Walmart, eshop deals) you can most certainly get physical and digital games cheaper than retail. Hell Walmart is already offering $60 games at $50

Zonnes

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2019
  • it isn't pricy, people spend 1600$ on a new phone so why 300$ is pricy?
  • I have been using mine every day since launch with zero issues why is it unreliable again?
  • It has tons and tons of 3rd party games and 3rd party exclusives are a dying thing and we all know it, if Switch was as powerful as a PS4 or XBONE it would be getting day one Ubisoft and Activision games as well
this whole "Article" feels like a console war thing.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love my Switch for what it is, but I do wish they weren't so handicapped by the underclocked Tegra.

I hope Switch 2 doesn't have those same issues. But who am I kidding they will.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new Switch's Battery is honestly the best you can really expect. 5-8 hours is honestly really good. Not even the potential revision could make it better. Unless the system itself is either twice the size, or has a completely new processor.

The joycon drift is also a bit of a non-issue if you are in the US.

Also, I totally understand about your wife as well. The Switch has gotten my fiancée into games, and it has been a joyous time. She absolutely loves a ton of Switch games(her favorite is Odyssey actually). But I do want to bring attention one thing. If you end up getting a Switch, only for a Switch Pro to come out.... Well. You can either trade your Switch in, or you can just have your wife have her own console. That's what myself and my fiancée plan on doing.

Just so you know, even if you can go all digital, you can seamlessly share games between 2 consoles as well.
Good suggestions, thanks. I've thought of the possibility of trading in/giving my wife her own Switch but I'm afraid it might not be super feasible because
1. It's not really in our budget to trade up towards a Pro or just buy another Pro outright. Even if I had the money to do that, I'm not sure I'd want to spend it on a Pro model after spending x amount on something a few months after I purchased it.
2. I'm not even sure my wife would care enough to have her own Switch if I bought a Pro for myself lol I'm still trying to figure out where her head is at when it comes to controllers, gameplay loops/frustrations, etc.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint: the market has embraced Switch with open arms, despite
its shortcomings.

At the end of the day, the consumer determines whether a company's direction is a success or a failure.

I think you (and many others on this forum, to be fair) project your personal feelings into the market at large, which gives you a confused reaction when it doesn't fit in with market realities.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I believe a wise man once said: "The name of the game IS the games."

Nintendo has the games, hardware be damned.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Conclusion: has no guaranteed support by anyone but nintendo at this point.

What? I super disagree. If Nintendo didn't publish anything for a year, the Indies alone would carry this system, like the Vita. But since my scenario of "Nintendo never publishing anything" is absolutely impossible, you AT LEAST have strong 1st party and Indie support. But also this is just wrong: 3rd parties are really supporting the Switch, in a complete opposite way of the Wii and WiiU, Gamecube and N64. Its arguably its BEST third party support since the Super Nintendo.

since most nintendo consoles recieved its best games front load as opposoed to other consoles.

Again, disagree: From recent memory Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii was in its dying years and the WiiU got Breath of the Wild, TMS#FE, Xenoblade X in its dying years. I think the "back load" of Nintendo consoles have always been strong since the NES days.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
While it barebones software is probably necessary to have a snapping interface, funcionalities that took a while, but came anyway, clearly point out to development phase behind the schedule
No it doesn't.
As you said, those just are not top priorities for Nintendo. Had it been just a schedule issue they would have solved by now, but they haven't.

Its inportant to notice that different from the wii era, switch competitor are doing just as well, so companies are not forced to go to nintendo to have healthy business. What this means is that having a entire team just to make a special version of your game for switch is out of the cards for most of them, so they only port to it if some port house is available to do it and if there is interest within
Your memory is failing you, I'm afraid.

During the Wii era big companies did very little to support the platform, and what they did (while pumping AAA projects one after another on the other two "big HD sisters" basically ignoring the Wii by the way) definitely didn't happen because they needed to have a healthy business but because they saw a gold mine.

They did too little, and too late except a handful exceptions.

Nowadays things are definitely better, even though for most companies the Switch is clearly a second citizen compared to the usual Sony/MS duo.

fit really well for those who can only play on the go
I'd argue it's an awesome machine for people that cannot have a regular play schedule, i.e. it's not just a matter of playing on the go. Source: myself. :-D

However, its pricey, the hardware can be unreliable, has limited funcionality as a modern device and has no guaranteed support by anyone but nintendo at this point.
Switch has been selling the most without any price cut, so I'd argue market doesn't see it as a pricey product;
The unreliability is still being questioned as we have no idea of the actual impact of the infamous drifting besides the usual forum rage;
Limited functionality could definitely be agreed on, even though I guess it hasn't impacted sales at all;
The "no guaranteed support" sorry, but right now is straight laughable unless you add some arbitrary restriction.

is not really chaging the industry or pushing boundaries beyond its owns.
It's probably too early to tell.

Last edited:

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
I love my Switch for what it is, but I do wish they weren't so handicapped by the underclocked Tegra.

I hope Switch 2 doesn't have those same issues. But who am I kidding they will.

I'm always curious whether the next iteration of Switch would perform better if it was on the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon. And would porting game be much easier?

OP
OP
justiceiro

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Again, disagree: From recent memory Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii was in its dying years and the WiiU got Breath of the Wild, TMS#FE, Xenoblade X in its dying years. I think the "back load" of Nintendo consoles have always been strong since the NES days.
For a jrpg fan, it's great, but if you are more interested traditional Nintendo ips, not so much. Besides, would you have recommended anyone to get a wiiu in 2016 on the prospect of getting botw instead of just waiting for switch?
  • it isn't pricy, people spend 1600$ on a new phone so why 300$ is pricy?
  • I have been using mine every day since launch with zero issues why is it unreliable again?
  • It has tons and tons of 3rd party games and 3rd party exclusives are a dying thing and we all know it, if Switch was as powerful as a PS4 or XBONE it would be getting day one Ubisoft and Activision games as well
this whole "Article" feels like a console war thing.
It cost more than half my salary in my country. I value my money and think others should too.

I also had friends who bought 360 and never had any problem, does this mean rrod problem was not really wide spread?

I don't get your third point at all. Did you know that the only reason it got the crash remake was because a programmer inside Activision decide to try to Port on its own? And what is the logical reason it didn't got GTA or mgsv?

I didn't mention any other console beside Nintendo owns, how you see this a console war thing?
Ah so this is why you made up fiction on actual people.
At least quote the section that you think it made up.
we will never know the full scope on the drift issues until Nintendo say
I agree, but they decided to go the full denial route, so if they are not transparent, is hard to have empathy for them.
Actually, under Furukawa, Nintendo started to do siglest deeper discounts. Forgot to mention that.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
For a jrpg fan, it's great, but if you are more interested traditional Nintendo ips, not so much. Besides, would you have recommended anyone to get a wiiu in 2016 on the prospect of getting botw instead of just waiting for switch?

I would've. WiiU had a great back catalog if you waited until 2016, with no promise with how the Switch was going to turn out. But I get your point: there was NOTHING on the horizon for WiiU. It was a dead machine by that time with releases just trickling out and the eShop was getting nothing interesting from the Indie devs.

I was Nintendo only from 2012 onward, and in those drought WiiU years I was just playing the hell out of 3DS which was getting quality releases and then buying the 3-4 WiiU games a year. I was a happy gamer though, less is more.

EDIT: after typing all that I just thought WOW, what a reversal of fortunes the Switch has been in comparison to the WiiU. It's in every way a better machine. I loved the WiiU, but the Switch has impressed me how they were able to turn that thing around.

Dec 23, 2017
I wanted to make a similar thread. I just wish Nintendo would go all in and strike while the iron is hot. This is the best position they have been in in a long time. Give us a premium switch with the best possible specs and feature. Don't do silly shit like the dumb voice chat solution they have right now.