• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing most people here know that leaving a battery charged at 100% hurts the battery life over time

when I'm playing switch on tv it can be at 100% for hrs and it bothers me there's nothing I can do about it, esp if I forget to take it out of the dock and it's at 100% for days

Apple added optimized charging to iOS 13 so your phone only charges to 80% at night and finishes in the morning I would like the switch to have an option though that allows to only charge to 80% at all times while in the dock

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Does this actually cause any sort of non-negligible damage or is this a hyped up fear people keep repeating with no actual consensus to it?

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch doesn't even have USB backup and you think Nintendo would add battery optimization settings? 😂

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Someone said on here that this doesn't really matter anymore and that modern batteries don't lose effectiveness in the same way. I'm no expert and I can't remember their reasoning and also I don't care but that was a post once.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Does this actually cause any sort of non-negligible damage or is this a hyped up fear people keep repeating with no actual consensus to it?
I would really like to know too because each time this discussion happens, it's just people saying "it hurts the battery !" "No it doesn't !" and I have absolutely no idea what to think.

It has already started here lol

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just time how long it takes your battery to reach 80% on average if you care that much

or is that a level too deep

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Does the switch even use the battery once it's 100 when docked? I just assume it wouldn't.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure in 2019 (or 2017 at release) batteries at 100% charge don't get any damage just because... they are at 100% charge.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would really like to know too because each time this discussion happens, it's just people saying "it hurts the battery !" "No it doesn't !" and I have absolutely no idea what to think.

It has already started here lol
Tesla knows battery's pretty well and they say to charge them to 80%
also Apple adding optimized charging to iOS 13 should tell you enough

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of devices just do this without informing the end-user. 100% is not usually the internal battery at its absolute maximum, it is the battery at the firmware determined maximum. Most people just dont need to know / be confused by it

Oct 27, 2017
No shit?

If Nintendo won't provide basic OS features then why would we expect advanced features?

I can't believe I had to explain that.

I can't believe I have to explain Nintendo not providing a feature to combat piracy (a feature that they're previous systems supported, so it has nothing to do with technological know how) has absolutely nothing to do a lack of a specific battery optimization feature (which they do have somewhat, since the system has an adaptive brightness mode)

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
that's not how it works Lol. battery stops charging when it goes to 100%. your switch will be fine.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Being at 100% is what hurts the battery life not wether it's used or not

The short answer is the "100%" quoted in the switch isn't the 100% of the actual battery.

Also the issue with a Tesla or an iPhone is that you're charging it to 100%, discharging it and then forcing it to 100% again. If you leave your switch docked for weeks the small amount of damage was done when it hit 100% and you don't do more damage to it until you discharge it and charge it to 100% again.

Maybe you should tell tesla what their recommended charging should be for their cars then

See the above post.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, but I think the point that was trying to be made is that there are far more important/useful features that Nintendo should implement before they prioritize this one.
Yeah, but Nintendo omitted USB backups for piracy reasons. It's not that they prioritized other features or think it's unimportant, it's that they intentionally didn't allow it. The reasons for that being missing vs some battery optimization are completely different

I don't like losing battery life overtime unnecessarily for no reason
How do you even know the system isn't doing this? They can have whatever battery level they want reported as 100%

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
There are adapters that have such feature, where you can make it stop charging at a given point. Unfortunately, i dont remember exactly what its called.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
What you really need to worry about is trying to run you lithium batteries bone dry before charging them. Many devices dont report empty bat until 3 volts. Thats a bit too low.
Charge your devices before they get to 0% if you want they battery to endure longer.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Apple added optimized charging to iOS 13 so your phone only charges to 80% at night and finishes in the morning I would like the switch to have an option though that allows to only charge to 80% at all times while in the dock

In case folks are interested Apple has some documentation on their battery health and management. It's a decent overview on lithium batteries and charging.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batteries still do degrade obviously but I feel like its at a much slower rate these days. It can extend your battery life though. I've had my current Galaxy S8 for a few years now and the battery is still at like 95% health or whatever. The fear of batteries dying is just a fact you need to accept and move on from with portable devices though.

The only thing that bothers me about the switch though is that if your battery is out of juice and you put it in the dock you still can't turn the system on until it establishes a base battery charge of at least like 1% which means eventually every single switch will most likely become inoperable regardless of if you keep it on a dock or not. Although I most likely won't care about my switch by the time that happens anyways so its whatever.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility
I can't believe I have to explain Nintendo not providing a feature to combat piracy (a feature that they're previous systems supported, so it has nothing to do with technological know how) has absolutely nothing to do a lack of a specific battery optimization feature (which they do have somewhat, since the system has an adaptive brightness mode)

There's that Nintendo delusion syndrome we all love here! You'd think I insulted your mother.

Why is it so hard to accept that Nintendo sucks at software support? It doesn't matter if it's intentional or incompetence. They still suck at it.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Yeah, but Nintendo omitted USB backups for piracy reasons. It's not that they prioritized other features or think it's unimportant, it's that they intentionally didn't allow it. The reasons for that being missing vs some battery optimization are completely different

I think there's some confusion here. You said they were unrelated. I was trying to empathize that there are other features I would expect Nintendo to prioritize first. Maybe not USB backups (but they could if they saw value over the risks in doing so) but there are at least a dozen other features that could be implemented with a larger impact. They are unrelated in the technical sense, but not in a way that would improve the experience of using the device.