• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrincessZelda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I've been thinking... what if when they announce the Switch mini, they reveal a clamshell design for the device and confirm it is backwards compatible with 3DS.. would you be upset? Do you think it's something Nintendo would even do? Discuss.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
Not a sensible thread title, and, on topic, it's not a sensible idea either.

The (rumored) Switch Mini is designed to lower the price point. It will not only confuse the messaging around Nintendo Switch (general consumers wouldn't understand that not all models are compatible), but it would need two cartridge slots and more technology crammed in it.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So i've been thinking...if a mod can maybe change the thread title to suggest this is just a speculation discussion thread

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think you need a "speculation" in your title =P

I can't see a switch working with a clamshell design, but I can see a 3DS retrocompatible switch with one screen (see DS games on the wiiu)

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
how would this even work

Hopefully we never see the likes of Dual Screen again because the trade off is not worth the feature

You cant emulate the shit nicely and thats fucking annoying

I stand by that the only thing good about 3DS was its software. Dual 3D screens was a mistake

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of a Switch mini would be to make it cheaper. Taking the Switch, giving it a clamshell design with a second screen would achieve the opposite of that.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Damn some people really think backwards compatibility is as easy as pressing a magic button huh.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Do people even think about their thread titles before posting them? Or is it done on purpose? I was directing a new report or something, not someone pondering ideas.

And no, it would suck for current owners.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No they wouldn't do that. But I can imagine future support for 3DS BC/remakes via software in a similar vein that the Wii U plays DS.

Ideally Nintendo will improve future Switch hardware to natively support vertical orientation of the screen.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it happening for a myriad reasons (aspect ratio, cost of adding a cartridge reader for the 3DS games, lack of incentive for Nintendo to retire the 3DS, etc.), but it would be cool if it happened.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
3DS support on the Switch is a pipe dream.

The only way you would see 3DS support on a Nintendo "home" console is through Virtual Console and that wouldn't happen until the 3DS hardware is long retired (which I don't foresee happening anytime soon).

Even then, you'll only see the "popular" games made available, not the entire library.

Jan 20, 2019
Doubt it! Especially with so much inventory left of 3DS/2DS units left in the wild.

But it'd be nice for anyone who missed out on the last generation of handheld games.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I think it's more likely that some 3DS games will get ported to the Switch with better graphics. Metroid: Samus Returns would be a good choice.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
So I've been thinking... what if when they announce the Switch mini, they reveal a clamshell design for the device and confirm it is backwards compatible with 3DS.. would you be upset? Do you think it's something Nintendo would even do? Discuss.

I would bet cold, hard currency this won't happen.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
1) they wont cause switch is not strong enough to emulate a 3DS flawlessly
2) they will no in hell just put a 3DS inside cause 3DS OS its cracked to hell and back and that will be an easy attack point for future cracking (is why 3DS removed the GB slot in 1st place after DS)

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
Everybody knows Switch mini is gonna be something like this...
ps-vita-overview-features-two-column-03-en-19dec18_1545233608626

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Then it would elevate the Switch from my favorite system, to my favorite system with all my favorite games.

Just think about it.
3DS BC on Switch means Xenoblade Chronicles on Switch.
It means DQ1-10 on Switch, alongside the soon to be released DQ11.

It means BC BC with the first 2 gens of Pokemon through VC, as well as BCBC for gens 4-7, and access to the second best pokemon game with Super Mystery Dungeon.

It means more good RPG than any sane human can play on a single system getting instantly aviable for Switch.

Edit: aka, it wont happen, because humanity does not deserve perfection.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody knows Switch mini is gonna be something like this...
ps-vita-overview-features-two-column-03-en-19dec18_1545233608626
Honestly I'm hoping it will be a little crazier. When has Nintendo ever gone the most predictable route? Back in the day if you asked people to come up with a new 3DS model, no one would've come up with the 2DS. I'm honestly not sure what they could do with a smaller Switch besides, yeah, a Vita, but I bet people will say, "What the FUCK???" when finally seeing it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What if it is compatible with PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Two, Dreamcast, NeoGeo, Ngage and Ouya?!?!

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
What was the previous title? First page had me intrigued.

As for topic, no, I don't know how it will be backwards compatible with the 3DS.