• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should handheld-only games be cheaper than games you play on your TV?

• Yes

Votes: 157 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 598 79.2%

• Total voters

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Portable games have been providing a similar scope to console games for years. I only chose KIU because it was the first portable game I thought of. If I only play BotW in handheld mode, is it a handheld game? Or because it has HD production values, that makes it a console game I'm only playing portably?

It's a home console game because it's a game made for a fucking home console that you have the choice of taking it on the go.

Man, the Switch is still messing with people's heads even after three years of it being out.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yes, it would have been cool to have a Nintendo selection of smaller, weirder, portable-like games for 30 and 40 usd.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly OP I already thought many of the Switch games were overpriced, at least compared to what they cost elsewhere. That said, whether a game is played on a console or a potable is kinda irrelevant.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
OP is 50% "portable ghetto" and 50% nonsense.

No, I don't see a reason why portable games should be cheaper by default.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it would have been cool to have a Nintendo selection of smaller, weirder, portable-like games for 30 and 40 usd.

Yup, those are still there tho, there's just not as much as there were before. I don't know why almost everyone here is acting like we don't know where OP is coming from.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be honest I hadn't thought about it, but as someone who will be getting a Lite as an upgrade from a 3DS, you bring up a good point.

dang0

Oct 28, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Portable games have been providing a similar scope to console games for years. I only chose KIU because it was the first portable game I thought of. If I only play BotW in handheld mode, is it a handheld game? Or because it has HD production values, that makes it a console game I'm only playing portably?

Why would how you play it change the price if it's the same game? It still cost the same to make. As ambitious as KIU is it's still a relatively low budget game with linear flight sections and linear levels made for a system further from higher end machine at the time then the switch is now.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Ports and 1:1 remakes are the only things I don't want to pay $60 for, if I own the originals. Otherwise I don't see the problem. These are HD games and the fact that I can play it in my hands doesn't change that.

I will say the price jump makes me more wary of the content value in Pokemon games (aka a 25-30 hour game with little postgame content) but as someone who exclusively plays in handheld this seems silly.

It would be cool if companies made more experimental and low budget games for 30-40 bucks though, like Mega Man 11.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
What? No. The Switch is both, the OG and lite versions. Any game can work on each (Now 1,2 switch and mario party require extra controllers, but still work with the lite), so no.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
The 50% price increase hurts, but the games are being made with hardware more powerful than the Wii U in mind, with a more expensive medium than the discs on other systems, so it was kind of inevitable. Indies really help mitigate the issue, though.

ChakosCough

Oct 27, 2017
What makes all Switch games console games? Because Nintendo said it was primarily a home console? Because it's now HD? If Kid Icarus Uprising was initially released on the Switch, would it be a console game or a portable game?

Yes. That is exactly what makes them console games. The Switch has always been marketed as a hybrid home console - one you could take on the go with you. While I personally have no problem with the $60 price tag, I actually like
Wal-Mart's $50 price tag. Hybrid price for a hybrid console

Oct 25, 2017
I would never have imagined as a nine-year-old kid with a Game Boy a handheld that plays games that look like and that have as much content as BotW, SMO, Captain Toad, etc.

So the answer is hell no, I feel like I'm getting a deal on most of these games, tbh.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Hello Sony I am planning to play The Last of Us 2 on my monitor instead of my TV please adjust the price accordingly

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Hi is this Nintendo in Kyoto okay hi thanks for taking my call I was away from my home when I bought Breath of the Wild and thus mostly played it in handheld and would like a partial refund thank you in advance sorry I do not understand Japanese

Oct 26, 2017
What makes all Switch games console games? Because Nintendo said it was primarily a home console? Because it's now HD? If Kid Icarus Uprising was initially released on the Switch, would it be a console game or a portable game?

Are you seriously asking this? Lol. You're being incredibly selective and disregarding the console-tier games that get released for the Switch (DQ XIs, Xenoblade Chronicle 1 and 2, Breath of the Wild, and so on).

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is pretty dumb. the reason handheld games are traditionally less expensive is that they're smaller in scope or look much much worse, not that you played it on the go. if anything you should be mad that Nintendo is charging $60 for games with a more handheld scope (Link's Awakening, Pokémon) because they're on console now.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Hello Sony I am planning to play The Last of Us 2 on my monitor instead of my TV please adjust the price accordingly
Hi is this Nintendo in Kyoto okay hi thanks for taking my call I was away from my home when I bought Breath of the Wild and thus mostly played it in handheld and would like a partial refund thank you in advance sorry I do not understand Japanese

giphy.gif

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
When it comes to Pokemon, yes.

Less content for higher price. But I won't buy it.

All other games have felt like a $60 game so no issues there.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Would I prefer Pokemon Let's Go, Link's Awakening and the Wii U ports at $40? Sure. But other than that I don't see why these games don't earn their price. Game development ain't cheap.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Eh, most of the games that are 60 bucks on the Switch would also be 60 bucks on the twins, so tht question is weird.

The games on the Switch are bigger and more expensive to create than the 40 Bucks 3DS-titles, so of course they're gonna cost more

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If you buy the game at $40 and one day decide to play on non-lite Switch connected to a TV, will you pay extra $20 then?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ah yes lets de-value games based on platform as if they're somehow lesser than other games.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the fact that it's impossible to differentiate between a portable and tv version of a game due to the nature of the console, I also just think it's unnecessary in today's climate. I think the history of portables was that they were more basic machines that parents might buy for their kids and that production values were lower than console counterparts so games needed to be cheaper to make the pitch tempting enough. But price conscientious parents can just give little Timmy a cheap tablet or hand me down smart phone loaded with free games for car trips these days. I don't think Pokémon Sword/Shield being $20 more expensive than Pokémon Sun/Moon is suddenly a bridge too far.

Furthermore plenty of digital titles retail for significantly less than $60.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
When it comes to Pokemon, yes.

Less content for higher price. But I won't buy it.

All other games have felt like a $60 game so no issues there.
This. The upcoming Pokemon games are cutting over half Pokemon, cutting a lot of content present in previous versions, etc but the reat of the Switch games are 100% worth the 60 price tag.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
I totally feel you op. I'll miss that feeling of getting top end handheld carts for $40 at launch. But Switch Lite is more like Turbo Express and Nomad so can't exactly compare to DS or Vita.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Doesn't bother me one bit...if I ever want to dock it, the option is there.

Shit if I knew BotW would become my favorite game of all time I would've been willing to pay a lot more than $60 for it lol.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I expect he's given up trying to discuss with people that think that way.
People have their minds set.

At launch, the game will have the same content it would have done if it contained the whole National Pokédex. It's just the locked content requiring a paywall of Pokémon Bank doesn't exist in this game. We're still hopeful they'll add them back in through patches but we'll see.

This constant claim of "Game Freak cutting content" is just tiring. If they kept every single bit of legacy content like Battle Frontiers, PWT, Pokéathlon etc., the games would be a bloated mess.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't care about it. But I hate $60 remasters

Would I prefer Pokemon Let's Go, Link's Awakening and the Wii U ports at $40? Sure. But other than that I don't see why these games don't earn their price. Game development ain't cheap.

But every other remaster isn't $60: Crash, Spyro (3 games each), CTR, Shadow of the Colossus, Ratchet & Clank (this was a remake)...

Oct 27, 2017
I can kind of see what the OP is saying here. I mean, direct console ports on the Vita like Need for Speed, Rayman Legends, Borderlands 2, Dead or Alive 5, etc were sold at a lower $40 price even with 99% the same content simply because they were handheld games.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
This constant claim of "Game Freak cutting content" is just tiring. If they kept every single bit of legacy content like Battle Frontiers, PWT, Pokéathlon etc., the games would be a bloated mess.
As opposed to a bareboness mess?

Not to mention having your Pokemon caught in previous games in SWSh wouldn't make it a "bloated mess", especially when we're paying an anual fee to not have them fade into obscurity. Smh.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, no. Realistically, development costs have caught up to the HD era and given the costs of the cartridges, reasonably I get it. At the end of the day, you have to make money back in some manner, and having the $30-50 for DS/3Ds was eventually gonna have to go the wayside

I'm still admittedly scratching my head at the full price for Zelda, admittedly, if you compare similar games of its nature (figured it'd be closer to $40-50, but that's really for another topic). But inherently, no doesn't bother me. Just a reality of development and material costs, really.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can kind of see what the OP is saying here. I mean, direct console ports on the Vita like Need for Speed, Rayman Legends, Borderlands 2, Dead or Alive 5, etc were sold at a lower $40 price even with 99% the same content simply because they were handheld games.

IIRC Rayman Legends on Switch isn't full price either. Many, many Switch games aren't, which is apparently news to some people.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As opposed to a bareboness mess?

Not to mention having your Pokemon caught in previous games in SWSh wouldn't make it a "bloated mess", especially when we're paying an anual fee to not have them fade into obscurity. Smh.
Didn't realise all of Sword & Shield's content was known.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
"portable game" doesn't mean anything anymore nowadays when botw or the witcher 3 are portable games, so why would there be a difference in price ??