• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's a terrible handheld. The buttons are mushy and the analog sticks started drifting after 100 or so hours of Animal Crossing. I've been really turned off Nintendo's hardware this gen and it mostly is due to how incompetently they've designed all of their controllers, including the abysmal Switch Pro controller which also suffers stick drift and has an unusable dpad for puzzle games.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Those of you who are acting up about 'minute' just cuz you ain't ever heard the word used that way (even though it is... like a lot IRL...) actually sound like mildly ignorant people at best, and complete jackasses at worst, and so it might be a good idea for you to just stop talking about it. There are things that happen beyond your perspective, like slang catching on that you might not know about, would you believe it?

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Regular Switch has a very small screen as is, for the games it's running (Thinking AAA PS360-like games) so I am not sure why would anyone want an even maller screen for those with a switch lite

It's terrible

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I have both models and prefer the lite for a number of reasons.

- I like how lite it is
- it's less bulky than the og
- my og has an issue with the left joy con randomly disconnecting
- I have no issue with the screen size
- I play 90% handheld

it is however the least ergonomic handheld I have ever had, I think it's designed for smaller hands. But I got a skull & co protective case with the changeable grips which feel awesome and I would strongly recommend.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
How about you don't talk down to people because they speak differently than you do.
This:

.... usually lines like 'I'll get around to that in a minute' refer to a timeframe that's within, say, single digit minutes units of 60 seconds, or implying 'after I finish the near-finished current task I'm working'. As opposed to something like more than a year later.

Unless we're talking about a hot minute, then that's been used to refer to both 'right this fucking instant' and 'a long time'.

I'll start using random words from now on to give myself a tone, it sounds cool.

p.s. the joycon drifting is too big of an issue to take the Lite in consideration

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
My kids got one at it doesn't get used at all. My son also snapped the headphone jack off inside it so you can't use headphones. Huge waste of money.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I found myself playing the switch more as a handheld so went for it at launch but within a few days I was seeing signs of drift just like my joycons on my main switch...I was going to replace it with the idea that it might have been a one off defect but ultimately I'm glad I didn't.

It's a nice little machine though, but honestly, the vanilla switch, while not perfect, at least allows for work arounds to some of its issues. Joycon drift at least lets you remove them while they're repaired by Nintendo. Or in my case I actually use third party split pads that just habe better analogue sticks in general (hori and dobe)

If they ever release a better made lite however, I'd very likely buy one...but I would need some guarantees that drift was fixed...also if they did make an updated one I would hope enough time has passed to have the power overhead to allow for docking too.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Still wish you could dock it honestly, makes me play the Switch less than I did before.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I was only planning on using the Switch in handheld mode so I got the Lite to save some money, plus yellow looks nice. I'm happy with is an a secondary console/handheld along with my XSX as my main one.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Have both and hate how Nintendo made it such a pain in the ass to play the same game between them seamlessly.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
This:

I'll start using random words from now on to give myself a tone, it sounds cool.

p.s. the joycon drifting is too big of an issue to take the Lite in consideration
It's not random, and has never needed to be preceded by 'hot' to gain that meaning.

If the dictionary definition is absurd given the context, then it's probably not the right one. It's not hard.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Having both I use my Lite way more. The only time I use my OG is if I want actual thumbsticks for something like a shooter (have the splitpad) or if I'm playing local multiplayer. The Lite is so much more comfortable.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I like it less than the regular model in basically every way other than the d-pad, but I still use it a lot anyways because I don't want to buy one of those d-pad Joycons and I actually don't like Hori d-pads anyways.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm here for the backlash against a very common slang saying. I'm about as much of an out of it middle aged white guy as you can get and I'm familiar with this one. Therefore as the arbiter of acceptable slang, I think this is acceptable.

Switch lite tho? No opinion. Only words.

Wait what? Never even heard of this, and I live in Boston. :(

It's common enough for NPR to have a show called "It's been a minute." Once NPR has turned a slang saying into a show title, I'd say it's officially made. :)

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
It's fine as my secondary system, don't play it enough anymore but I have the PS5 to blame for that. It feels cheap but it was cheap and I haven't used it enough to worry about long term issues like Joycon drift.

It was worth the purchase price to finally play Breath of the Wild though, what a game.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it acted as a copy of my main switch rather than a whole different console. It's gotten a little better but nothing is designed for you to own and play on 2 different switches so it's kinda annoying to own one.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've got a Lite for myself and a regular Switch hooked up to the TV for the kids. Much prefer the Lite. The reduced weight makes it much more comfortable to hold, the controls don't randomly lose connection with the system, and I play a lot of menu-based games so the D-Pad is nice.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
disappointed mainly because of small screen and devs not giving shit to optimize ui for it.
ergonomics are bad too but you can get around it up to a point with 3rd party grips and such