• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lite up the night

• It's my main Switch now

Votes: 82 22.2%
  • It's my secondary Switch now

Votes: 30 8.1%
  • It's my first Switch

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • It collects dust

Votes: 40 10.8%
  • I returned it

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • I have no interest in a Switch Lite but I wanted to click on the poll

Votes: 189 51.2%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I finally unboxed my Lite and connected it as a dual account to my home Switch. Gotta say I'm loving it. It's very, well, light and much easier to carry around than the launch Switch. My only real complaints so far are it tends to heat up fairly easily and the speaker quality is a step down (reminiscent of the New 2DS XL). I play portably exclusively except for local multiplayer, so while I usually wait at least a few years before upgrading a console, it was on sale on Amazon a while back and I couldn't help myself. My launch Switch battery also isn't great, so I feel overall I made the right decision.

The smaller screensize did take some getting used to but it wasn't long before I adapted. I was kinda used to it already playing console games on my PSP since they don't adapt for the screensize eithre.

Also, I got yellow.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only got mine in November but I'm very happy with it already. It's a lot more convenient for portable play which was all I really did with the regular version anyway.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I love mine. I still use my regular switch for ring fit but everything else I play on my Lite, just much easier for portable play.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Interestingly I've not used my usual docked switch since buying the lite.

My plan was to play the lite on the commute to/from work then move across to the TV on the main one after but I just seem to play everything handheld now.

Really think its a superb little unit and I love how it feels. Very solid but very light.

Yellow too!

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Have the controls held up? That's my only concern with a lite. They look really nice but man the standard joycons are so crappy at times.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm waiting for more reports about how it's held up some time later, also waiting to see if the Switch Pro becomes a reality as I'd much rather get that than a Switch lite.
Also, it's been a year already? Time fucking flies.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I like it but I think I'm going to sell it and get the Animal Crossing edition. I want to be able to play AC on a big screen.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Love it! It's definitely my most used Switch and my OG Switch has barely left the dock.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
It was my first Switch and while I do love it, it's my Isaac machine, I find the battery life fairly lacklustre.

Oct 28, 2017
Those of you who own (have used) both, do you not miss the rumble feedback?

It's the only thing putting me off picking one up.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Love it, except when shitty inconsiderate developers put tiny non adjustable text in their games.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I backed out on mine. I really enjoyed it at first but with certain games, Smash especially, it's downright unpleasant to play exclusively on a small screen.

If there was a totally stationary Switch Pro, I'd probably get a Lite as a portable option. It's legit way, way, way better as a portable than the main switch. But having a standard, portable-capabable Switch and a Lite at once seems too frivolous to me. So I went back to the bulkier model that does both.

Love it, except when shitty inconsiderate developers put tiny non adjustable text in their games.

Yeah, this ended up being a bigger problem than I thought it would be. I found myself ignoring some games because it was too much of a bother to squint at them for an hour plus at a time.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking about trading it in for the regular Switch again. I primarily used the regular for portable play (and I don't find a huge weight difference between the two) but there are a few niche cases that I'd want different joycons for.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I never wanted the thing connected to my television in the first place. The Lite is exactly what I wanted. Light, no detachable parts, and only 1 cord instead of the mess that was the dock

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I bought a Switch lite because my launch model Switch has a chip in the screen and I wanted a clean screen for portable play.

After a few weeks I returned mine to the store. The hybrid functionality of the Switch is what sold me on the system and it was what I missed the most when using the lite.

Sure I could play games on both my vanilla Switch and Lite but it was 10x less convenient. I own a sizeable digital library and having to download games twice on the less than ideal wifi speeds was a pain. Even once you got the games on both devices syncing saves (if they supported cloud saves) was an extra step when switching devices.

I have had 0 regrets returning to my old Switch and since decided to upgrade to that adorable Animal Crossing themed Switch.

The Lite is a brilliant piece of tech. I would only recommend it those who want to play handheld mode exclusively.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Those of you who own (have used) both, do you not miss the rumble feedback?

It's the only thing putting me off picking one up.
How could you miss it if you have both? Unless you just stop using joy-cons altogether, or don't use the OG Switch at all anymore, you can still get rumble feedback. I've got both, but I use both still, so yea.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Lite = Secondary here.
It's great!
I use it mainly for Pokémon but also for some other titles that I can easily play while watching/listening to something else.
It will never replace the comfort of the Pro Controller and my 4K TV, especially for games like Smash, but that's the point.
I'm currently playing Dark Souls Remastered docked and "smaller" games on the Lite.
Still unsure where I'll choose to make my island in Animal Crossing though.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've been playing my Switch less and less in the first place and, because I primarily play the Switch docked, I've barely used my Lite since I got it. It's much nicer overall than using the regular Switch in handheld but it's not nice 'enough' to me that I'd generally choose to use it over the main console. Doesn't help that my unit has this weird scanline effect going on that is hard to not notice when things are moving around on screen.

Also, frankly, Nintendo's bullshit with cloud saves makes having two of them so much more of a hassle than it needs to be. If it were only the lack of automatic download then that would be annoying, but the fact that Nintendo has chosen to restrict cloud saves on two of the most 'I want to play this both portably and on the TV' games on the console (Pokemon and AC) is, frankly, ridiculous.

For those reasons I'll be trading that console in (alongside my prior Switch after the system transfer) for the Animal Crossing Edition in March. I figured that if I were going to have just one Switch I'd much rather have an awesome-looking version with a bigger screen and battery life than two Switches.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Use my Switch 100% portable. Haven't touched the OG since getting the Lite beyond a couple of cases of syncing saves for games I last played on it. Feels so weird to hold it now I'm used to the lite. Lovely console.

MrSpiffing

Oct 30, 2017
I'm interested in the Lite as my first switch but I've seen several complaints that text is too small. With the Lite having a slightly smaller screen than the OG Switch are there any games that are hard to play handheld. How does the likes of Divinity hold up?

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting reading the responses to Lite owners. As a regular Switch owner, I like using it both portably and docked. Getting a Switch Lite, for me at least, defeats the purpose of the regular Switch in handheld mode and devalues that purchase. Then again for me at least console gaming is still important which I see is not the case for a lot of Lite owners. I love the big screen of the regular Switch, also, I'm 6'8" so I have large hands so the regular may fit better in my hands. To each their own though and I totally respect that.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
For the most part, I still use my primary switch the most. I *did* play most of AI: The Somnium Files on my Lite, though. I'll probably play most of Rune Factory 4 and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon that way too.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Interesting reading the responses to Lite owners. As a regular Switch owner, I like using it both portably and docked. Getting a Switch Lite, for me at least, defeats the purpose of the regular Switch in handheld mode and devalues that purchase. Then again for me at least console gaming is still important which I see is not the case for a lot of Lite owners. I love the big screen of the regular Switch, also, I'm 6'8" so I have large hands so the regular may fit better in my hands. To each their own though and I totally respect that.

Yeah, I've got massive hands and the Switch Lite isn't the best for me in terms of ergonomics.

Somewhere around the middle between the Switch and the Lite with some extra grips on the back of each Joy-Con (like with the Wii U's gamepad) would be ideal.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I did a crazy thing almost a month ago. I sold my launch Switch for a Switch Lite, and at first I had serious remorse. However, after the shock wore off, I was incredibly happy with the thing. The launch Switch I had could last maybe 3 hours on a full charge, so I was in need of a new one anyway. When docked, it looked like ass on my 4K TV, so I'm happy I made the...switch...

I also have no one to play games with in person, so I don't need it to be on the TV. It's been great! I haven't had a problem with the slightly smaller screen, and it fits in my giant hands quite well. It's exactly what I wanted the Vita to be, and since getting it, I've increased my software purchases by at least 60-70 percent. You should see my Amazon wish list lol.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm gonna be honest, I don't trust people who have a home Switch and a portable Switch Lite. They make my stomach turn

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one for Pokémon Sword. What a fucking huge mistake that was. Neither the hardware nor the software were up to task.

I honestly play my Vita more than either of my Switches. Heck, I'm playing it right now.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I swear to God I didn't even realize the thing wasn't rumbling! And now I'm bummed that it doesn't rumble. Wtf.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
I love the extra portability and lighter weight. My OG Switch is gathering dust at this point. I never used it docked to begin with, though.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It has become my main Switch. Unfortunately will have to go back to the old one for Animal Crossing because I'll want to play it on my TV as well.

Also sucks that time played doesn't sync properly between two consoles.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I love mine. I just wish the games that I want to play most (SMT, Bayonetta) we're out already. It's basically a Capcom port machine at this point.

verbose

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I never felt that the original model fell short when it comes to portable gaming, but I gotta say since the Lite launched and I bought it day one I've only ever used the original if there was a need to throw down some heat in Mario Kart or Smash with my next of kin in TV-/Tabletop Mode.

All the little creaking noises and moving parts where the Joy-Cons attach are all of a sudden a nuisance and makes me nervous — if your intention is to play exclusively in portable mode then I'd say go for it. It has held up really, really well at least in my experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I've really been itching to buy another Switch because I'm an idiot and really wanted the pro to come out this year.

Realistically, I'll probably wait and see what happens next year since I don't play portably too too much, but I'm still constantly thinking about getting a Mariko Switch even though it's essentially the same thing I already have with better battery life.

I know I'd regret it though because it's not different enough or even an upgrade except for the battery.

It's too bad the lights screen is smaller

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I like it a lot, but I play them both pretty equally, so cloud saves are pretty crucial for me. Animal Crossing is posing a huge issue, as I'm wondering which Switch to start the game on knowing I won't be able to move between them.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to buy one but I'm not sure I really need it. I do commute a lot and it would be good for that but.. I have no problem taking my OG Switch on the go.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I found the original Switch really uncomfortable to use but I found the Lite to be a massive improvement so after a few months I sold my original Switch (and I never once took the dock out of the box).

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
This is probably the best thread to ask this: Blue or grey? Yellow is fugly and the Pokemon edition seemingly went extinct, so which color is best?

Mar 3, 2018
Its almost perfect for me. Love using it. I say almost perfect because I wish I could connect my airpods or other bluetooth headphones to it :( I know theres adapters out there but bleh

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
It's a pretty good dust collector, but it sure does look pretty. No regrets.

I'll probably start using it way more if I ever need to leave the house multiple times this year.
In the mean time I'm rarely not within a few meters of the OGs dock.