• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
My left stick drifts so much that I dont even buy games for my switch anymore. Buying a replacement knowing that the same will happen after a year doesnt sit right with me.

Feb 1, 2018
Nintendo's hardware QC fell off a cliff after the Wii. Their devices used to be rock solid and would last for years and years.

My switch lite, while not having drift, has major light bleed coming from a section of the shell that is literally seperating, it came like this from the factory

At some point they decided to forgo build quality in favor of profits and manufacturing speed

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Playing my switch in handheld mode sucks fucking ass cause of the left analog drift. I refuse to buy another set

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Your animosity is warranted, OP. These are fucking garbage controllers that should not be sold. It is THE biggest fuck up this gen. Ubisoft, capcom, EA... nothing they've done touches Nintendo willingly selling defective hardware. For years.

Fuck Nintendo for this shit, man. Seriously. And to all the "mine are fine" folks shit posting in threads like these... kindly fuck off.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I agree. People are paying $70 & $80 for these. They should be in top-notch quality for the price that they're charging.

Last edited:

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
There are the Vivefox joycons that were mentioned earlier (that I literally just ordered a pair of myself, haha).

I should get my pair this weekend, but they have gyro, rumble, wireless, and full sized analog sticks. And they're only $40 for the pair.

Pretty promising, I just need to make sure the buttons and triggers are acceptable to me.

Got a pair in another color under a different name. They use full height thumbsticks, but the electronics are garbage. I haven't managed to use them remotely.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Got a pair in another color under a different name. They use full height thumbsticks, but the electronics are garbage. I haven't managed to use them remotely.
I'm definitely going into these with realistic expectations, a full set of joycons for $40 is pretty low, and I doubt I'd ever use these wirelessly anyways.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I barely even play my Switch and my joycons still got the drift problem. I have a Pro controller I can use instead, but it's really lame that the joycon quality is so atrocious.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
It's a scam. Releasing a product that self-destructs with normal usage and then refusing to acknowledge or adress it is a scam.
Calling them self-destructing is just stupid.

Mine have worked three and half years and they've been played thousands of hours combined with me and my small kids. They've been through Mario Party motion controls and button mashing of Mario & Sonic and everything else.

Is there way too much problems with them?
Absolutely from what I've read.

Are they self-destructing or anti-consumer practice?
No.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
I fixed my drift with a $10 can of electrical contact cleaner WD40. Almost a year now and it hasn't drifted again and feels like a brand new joycon (not that that's saying much).

The build quality is definitely not good though. The colors on my neon red/blue JoyCons look nothing like they did originally and the same issue with the ribbon (sync and SL, SR buttons not working) happened on both my joycons.

Functionality wise though, I've had way worse luck with DualShocks this gen. I've gone through 4 DS4s this gen. The dead ones lost more and more buttons and triggers every month. The triggers are also really not kid/pet friendly, it's very easy to break 'em.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
No, but nor does it excuse the litany of threads positing this as a problem unique to Nintendo.

The litany of threads positing this as a problem unique to Nintendo is because nobody has even close to the failure rate on their remotes that they do...?

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
It's ludicrous OP. I won't buy a switch until it's not an issue. I didn't jump in early anyways but each time I've thought about it I've always just said I'll wait until they release a newer model without this.

I felt bad telling my wife's best friend mom who got her Nintendo loving son a Switch that this was going to be an issue and to call me when it happens. Contact cleaner helps and he's sent it in but that shouldn't have to happen. Not when it's been out this long.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They repaired mine for free in Spain, where do you live?

blizzardjesus

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My launch joycons still work. I only use them when absolutely necessary ie Mario party or handheld mode. Never play smash bros with them. Just use a pro controller.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
The joy con is bordering a scam at the current price tag.

The quality you get for the price is terrible.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Not only did I have to buy a new pair of Joycons after my originals drifted and I messed up the repair, which is in no way as easy as everyone insists, the new ones suck too. I can't even play it docked because the Bluetooth signal drops constantly. In Hades all of my face buttons just stop working occasionally and when I need to button mash it always hangs up. I ended up just getting a Lite which seems fine, knock on wood.

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I can´t use my Joy-Cons since a few month becausce of drift.
Not buying a new pair or trying to fix them myself.
Waiting for the rumored Switch Pro and hope for a better build qualitiy.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes.

It's bad business and anti-consumer but unless they knew about this when they put it to market, I wouldn't call it a scam.

They test their products before they launch. So it's nearly impossible for them not to know it. And if the quality of the Thing is this bad i would say op is right to call it scam because it's probably 40 bucks too expensive.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I like the Switch but it absolutely had the worst build quality of any device I've owned in a long while and I've owned a few.

Not just the joycons but they are defiently the main culprit.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Remember the red ring of death. It a funny people are more upset about joycons than red ring of death. That was epic bullshit.
People weren't as upset because the problem was acknowledged, and MS made a global effort to rectify it. Over 1 Billion dollars worth of effort. The JoyCon problem isn't as bad in comparison, but Nintendo trying to brush it under the rug.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That the Switch has been out 3.5 years now and there's no revision to this specific issue in response to the sheer scale of Nintendo users having this problem (I know drift exists everywhere to varying degrees but the Switch is something else) - honestly I'd say the semantics of 'scam' is fair

And I like Nintendo.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the "but 360 RROD" is kind of a disingenuous whataboutism. Like when it became apparent that it was an issue MS acknowledged it, took a whole lot of money to set up a comprehensive warranty/exchange system worldwide, and then also fixed it in revisions. You know, all the shit that Nintendo isn't doing.

It's mostly the company reaction here that is the issue. Just a giant fuck you to their customers.

I love my Switch. It's the only current console that I own. But this is a giant fly in the ointment honestly.

Aug 15, 2020
I feel like the "but 360 RROD" is kind of a disingenuous whataboutism. Like when it became apparent that it was an issue MS acknowledged it, took a whole lot of money to set up a comprehensive warranty/exchange system worldwide, and then also fixed it in revisions. You know, all the shit that Nintendo isn't doing.

It's mostly the company reaction here that is the issue. Just a giant fuck you to their customers.

I love my Switch. It's the only current console that I own. But this is a giant fly in the ointment honestly.

I've had to exchange my joycons myself, they are definitely an issue; but they have acknowledged and apologized for it and they do have a comprehensive exchange system where you can send it to them for a free repair.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Replaced my left joycon myself because in Europe they won't fix it for free. It was pretty easy and it still works fine but for how long?

It's a bad product.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So intentionally continuing to sell a product that is known to be defective and refusing to acknowledge the fact that is defective or do anything about it is not a scam. I see.
Nintendo (at least in the US) has been repairing joycons with drift for free. I know that's not the same as them fixing the design that's prone to these happening, but it is still addressing it in some form.

The issue I have had is my left joycon disconnecting in handheld mode. I have to release and snap it back on until it does the snap acknowledging that I connected it. I've had this happen with two joycons so far.

Dec 18, 2018
People weren't as upset because the problem was acknowledged, and MS made a global effort to rectify it. Over 1 Billion dollars worth of effort. The JoyCon problem isn't as bad in comparison, but Nintendo trying to brush it under the rug.
They eventually acknowledged it, because it was a much bigger problem than joycon drift. Everybody I knew had ring of death.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also funny that the solution for most people basically boils down to "just use a pro controller".

For most, you don't have to buy another controller in other systems. But somehow it's just natural to buy one for Switch.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
The issue I have had is my left joycon disconnecting in handheld mode. I have to release and snap it back on until it does the snap acknowledging that I connected it. I've had this happen with two joycons so far.
Might be the little plastic buckle lock on the joycon getting chipped or worn down. All it takes is just a few accidental drops. Disengaging without pressing the lil' release button can also wear 'em down over time.

Definitely not one of the more durable parts of the device, lol. Some folks have tried replacing them with aftermarket metal parts, but that always seemed a little sketchy to me.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember the red ring of death. It a funny people are more upset about joycons than red ring of death. That was epic bullshit.
I'm sorry, what is this bullshit?

The Red Ring of Death was a massive PR disaster. The fact that you're comparing the Joycons to the Red Ring of Death is already a pretty damn big indictment of the issue.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Apparently the technology to fix it didn't exist (and maybe still doesn't). You can't get a clickable and analogue stick in that form factor that isn't susceptible to the drift problem.
After reading this post (and learning that the stick drift problem is essentially tied to the Joycons' small form factor, making it unlikely that Ninty makes a "fixed" version any time soon), I dropped by the local store and picked up one of the Daemon X Machina split pad pros. Incredible upgrade, I'm never wasting money on new joycons again. This Switch is mostly used playing around the house anyway, so the monstrous size doesnt hurt too bad.

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
I had drift on my left joycon... also drifted the left stick of a DuakShock 4 v1... and 6 months ago, on a DualShock 4 v2... Nintendo sucks, but isn't alone

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
They are absolutely atrocious quality. I own six, four are drifting. I had two others that I bought new, both started drifting within a month so I swapped them (for my only currently working ones). I've changed the sticks on most of them, but that's a temporary fix too, lasted ~18 months before the drift was back again.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely sucks for OP/those affected but scam? I've had two xbox one controllers that didn't work correctly this gen and a ps4 controller the stick material entirely peeled off of. Meanwhile we have two sets of joycons , two pro controllers and two lites across two adults and a children, all with heavy usage since launch of each device (we are very much a nintendo family) and zero issues. I don't want to be reductive and handy wavey by saying this is just the luck of the draw with electronics and Nintendo absolutely should have a good replacement program. I just don't know if it's a scam. I wouldn't say the xbox controllers were a scam, although it does make me wary of buying more.

Nov 4, 2017
I still can't believe how some people still refuse to see the drift issue for what it is.
That's why Nintendo won't do anything: too many people saying "nah, das fine bru".

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have more drift issues on my ps4 despite less play then my switch. When I have drift issues on my switch rubbing alcohol fixes the issue where I have just had to out right replace the dual shock 4.